Other The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition (Discussing Gardevoir sets) Check Post #920

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by alexwolf
OP stolen Bouffalant which was stolen from Mazz and then was edited by me

The Next Best Thing
What is this?
I for one, along with many others I'm sure, feel as though there is some untapped power within the OU environment. There is substantial evidence for this idea in the form of one commonality for most tiers, OU included: There always seems to be one or more new-fangled, hyped up sets that weren't originally main-stay or seen as "viable" by the community, but somehow have taken the metagame by storm. This can be seen in DPP OU (with Special Lucario transitioning to SD Lucario, Heatran eventually running items other than Choice Scarf, and the influx of ChestoRest Kingdra) in ADV (with the vaunted TyraniBoah now becoming almost an urban myth in comparison to Special and DD Tyranitar, and the increasing popularity of Superachi) and in BW OU (with the advent of SubSalac Terrakion, SubDisable Gengar, and ChestoRest Volcarona). Yes, some of these sets may have been found early on with respect to the creation of the tier or fairly recently, the point is, though, that there seems to be an endless supply of effective and potent sets out there yet to be discovered, especially factoring in metagame swings and the possible tier shifts. The purpose of this project will be to systematically subject each and every OU pokemon to a collective body of research in an attempt to uncover these "hidden gems", so to speak, and hopefully spark some creativity throughout the OU community.

The Process:
Each week, I will choose a different OU Pokemon, sometimes chosen by random, sometimes chosen by curiousity, of which participants will try to personally create a new set for that is not already on-site or in the process of being put on-site. Participants will be given 5 days to create their set, with discussion about the particular sets being promoted throughout, and on the 6th and 7th day of the week, a vote will be held to choose which user's set represented the most creative and simultaneously competivitely viable set to utilize in the current OU metagame. Once the votes are tallied and a winner is crowned, the set will be archived in the OP and the process will start all over again for the next pokemon specimen.

What are we looking for?
Specifically, I want to stress the importance of the balance between creativity and viability when picking a set to post for the Pokemon in question. There's a very fine line between a "creative" set and a "gimmick", and this project is not meant to produce gimmicks, rather emphasize the ability to think outside the box when using a specific Pokemon in order to maximize it's potential. Having said that, I would also like to deviate from simple one move / item changes. For example, using Lum Berry over Life Orb on an SD Terrakion does nothing to show any untapped potential Terrakion has because we already have a basic understanding of what SD Terrakion is and does, it's just now better at dealing with status and has less power. The same goes for using Icy Wind over HP Flying on Keldeo, it doesn't yield productive discussion or results for the project. I am looking for sets that test what we think we know about checks or counters, so-called standards, and what it means to be viable. Maybe a particular option for a Pokemon looks inferior at first glance for that particular pokemon, but dig deeper and try and find what it might mean in the big picture, for the entire team.

Small note: Reservations are not allowed in this thread. You either write it up on the spot, or you don't write at all. By reserving, you clog the thread up, and sometimes people forgot to go back to the reservations and edit it. Also, I will be posting every Monday, the first week is an exception.

That's about it! Our new test subject will be...

Gardevoir & Gardevoir Mega

Last edited:
Okay, ignore my quadruple post.
Here is one set that I have used in LC before with Dratini. So I brought this to OU.. Just trying to garner some good discussion :]

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Sleep Talk

So basically this set is very straight forward. First things first, use heavy wallbreakers such as kyu-b, specs keldeo etc to wallbreak the opponents team. Next try to eliminate as many steels and fairies as possible. Try to get in dnite safely, set up a few dragon dances until you outspeed everything, rest when statused or low on health, and then become crocune v2.0. EVs are pretty much standard, you can also opt to put 252 EVs into defense or special defense, but 252 attack has more immediate hitting power, so dnite does not have to set up as much. This set works extremely well late game after fairies have been removed, and dragonite can basically slowly boost up, and then sweep everything. This is one interesting set that I have used a little bit, although I haven't had too much luck with it.
As I said before, I'm just trying to get some better discussion for this, and btw, during day 6 and day 7, please don't vote for your own sets, as I will have to not count your votes. It would also be great to create multiple sets and entries, but don't make too many, 1 or 2 is fine.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Sleep Talk
As much as I like that set, it pretty much gets walled by ANY fairy. A flying stab would be nice but he only gets wing attack?(??? I guess Mega Salamence showed us the power of a good flying stab).

I fought a couple of Weakness Policy D-nites which was cool, though I had an Unaware Clafable so it did not really do much.

What would a Weakness Policy Dragonite set look like?

Hell yes, we got donuts for my exam and I probably ate half a dozen of them

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant / Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Earthquake / Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

This set aims to abuse Dragonite's fantastic niche ability in Multiscale. It will easily be able to take most special attacks, with the exception of fully invested Ice Beam from Greninja, get the +2 and be able to sweep. Having this in combination of Extreme Speed makes it a fearsome late game sweeper that can be extremely hard to wall. If you Dragon Dance on the turn you get the Weakness Policy, you are now at +3 with a Speed boost. No priority fazes Dragonite, and not even Ferrothorn walls you since you have Fire Punch or Earthquake. Bulky Azumarill can take a hit and retaliate back, however, so you must have some sort of prior damage on it. Overall, Dragonite is one of the most unstoppable late game sweepers and is seriously nothing to mess with.
Didn't notice the part where it says we can't reserve, so, my bad. Won't do it again rip

Last edited:

Dragonite @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature / Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Roost / Superpower

Whilst specially based Dragonite might initially look bad on paper, due to its relatively low base 100 Sp. Atk and competition with Lati@s (and Hydreigon to an extent), it has a couple of useful advantages over them, and over other Dragonite sets.

The first thing is access to Flying STAB in Hurricane - despite its low accuracy, Hurricane is an easily spamable move, and enables Dragonite to break through Fairy types such as Clefable and Mega Altaria. Secondly, unlike Lati@s, Dragonite is not checked by Steel types so easily, given that it has access to Fire Blast (and Focus Blast). Even with only 299 Sp. Atk, STAB Draco Meteor boosted by LO is going to hurt - it's only marginally weaker than Latias' LO Draco Meteor. It has an amazing surprise factor - quite often the opponent will send in physically bulky 'mons like Landorus-T or Slowbro to check Dragonite, only to get smacked by a Draco Meteor. Finally, Roost is useful in the final slot to counter the effects of LO recoil, and also to help Dragonite act as a check to threats such as Landorus-I and Keldeo.

An alternative option, if you don't mind sacrificing some longevity, is to go with Hasty Nature and run Superpower instead of Roost. This will grant Dragonite much better wallbreaking prowess, allowing it to OHKO Tyranitar and 2HKO Heatran/Chansey, at the cost of some utility.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Mulitscale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance / Fire Punch
- Outrage / Extreme Speed

This is a SubRoost set for my pal Dnite! With the his ability, Dragonite can easily come in on the switch, or tank an SE hit and then set up a sub. Afterwards, Dragonite can setup a sub on the target and roost off all the damage he has taken. This set is good at taking on defensive pokemon like Mandibuzz and Chessnaught. The set is pretty basic, just keep in mind that if your running DD and/or Outrage remove Fairies and steels first. ( got it done on my 2nd period exam time too, but no donuts....)

Last edited:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe ( I might change the EVs later, the school's computers suck )
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Fire Punch / Dragon Dance
- Outrage / Dragon Claw/ Extreme Speed

This is a SubRoost set for my pal Dnite! With the his ability, Dragonite can easily come in on the switch, or tank an SE hit and then set up a sub. Afterwards, Dragonite can setup a sub on the target and roost off all the damage he has taken. This set is good at taking on defensive pokemon like Mandibuzz and Chessnaught. The set is pretty basic, just keep in mind that if your running DD and/or Outrage remove Fairies and steels first. ( got it done on my 2nd period exam time too, but no donuts....)
Another huge benefit is that it means that a good amount of hits that would be annoying chip damage won't break sub if multiscale is up (Specs Keldeo, w/o Icy Wind, Scarfed Latios' Psyshock, Gyarados, Heatran, Landorus...)

Dragonite @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature / Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Roost / Superpower

Whilst specially based Dragonite might initially look bad on paper, due to its relatively low base 100 Sp. Atk and competition with Lati@s (and Hydreigon to an extent), it has a couple of useful advantages over them, and over other Dragonite sets.

The first thing is access to Flying STAB in Hurricane - despite its low accuracy, Hurricane is an easily spamable move, and enables Dragonite to break through Fairy types such as Clefable and Mega Altaria. Secondly, unlike Lati@s, Dragonite is not checked by Steel types so easily, given that it has access to Fire Blast (and Focus Blast). Even with only 299 Sp. Atk, STAB Draco Meteor boosted by LO is going to hurt - it's only marginally weaker than Latias' LO Draco Meteor. It has an amazing surprise factor - quite often the opponent will send in physically bulky 'mons like Landorus-T or Slowbro to check Dragonite, only to get smacked by a Draco Meteor. Finally, Roost is useful in the final slot to counter the effects of LO recoil, and also to help Dragonite act as a check to threats such as Landorus-I and Keldeo.

An alternative option, if you don't mind sacrificing some longevity, is to go with Hasty Nature and run Superpower instead of Roost. This will grant Dragonite much better wallbreaking prowess, allowing it to OHKO Tyranitar and 2HKO Heatran/Chansey, at the cost of some utility.
I really like the idea of special dragonite, and I think this could potentially function very well on a rain team, by using maybe surf over fire blast, and maybe thunder somewhere. . However, wouldn't life orb be sort of counter intuitive with multiscale? Would specs or maybe expert belt work? Life orb is the best item that would work here, since d nite wants all the coverage that it can get, without having to be choice locked.

Okay, so far we have lots of dnite entries! (I will not use my entry)
Recreant's WP Dragonite Dragon Dance sweeper
DarkBlazeR's Special Life Orb Dragonite
one hitta quitta's Bulky Sub Roost Dragonite

EDIT: Btw, this week we will only have day 6 to vote, since I try to post on monday, and I posted dragonite on tuesday, so we only have 5 days for discussion and postings sets, and day 6 for voting. It would be nice if everyone could bold their posts when they vote, as it makes things easier for me to spot and count votes. Thanks!

Last edited:
I really like the idea of special dragonite, and I think this could potentially function very well on a rain team, by using maybe surf over fire blast, and maybe thunder somewhere. . However, wouldn't life orb be sort of counter intuitive with multiscale? Would specs or maybe expert belt work? Life orb is the best item that would work here, since d nite wants all the coverage that it can get, without having to be choice locked.
I used to run special Dragonite with Hurricane/Thunder/Surf/Roost quite a lot in my BW1 rain teams. Whilst it has some effectiveness now that rain is no longer permanent, and faces strong competition with Tornadus-T, it's still not a bad option by any means.

Expert Belt is too weak; without the power of Life Orb, you miss out on important 2HKOs (e.g. physically defensive Clefable). Choice Specs could work, although Life Orb is probably better because it allows you to run a recovery move, and also lets you go mixed with Superpower.

I'm on mobile so just theorymonning ATM. But Dragonite gets heal bell from I believe XD, I'm intrigued as to whether a bulky cleric dragonite with roost, heal bell, attack, filler with something like thunder wave for additional support and to outspeed things in order to heal up and abuse multi scale. Theoretically this set could be a good to great cleric with surprising bulk and a punch coming from an even uninvested 134 attack. Would love to see someone test it out.

I'm on mobile so just theorymonning ATM. But Dragonite gets heal bell from I believe XD, I'm intrigued as to whether a bulky cleric dragonite with roost, heal bell, attack, filler with something like thunder wave for additional support and to outspeed things in order to heal up and abuse multi scale. Theoretically this set could be a good to great cleric with surprising bulk and a punch coming from an even uninvested 134 attack. Would love to see someone test it out.
This was theory-monned back with the origin of CBBNite, and is not nearly as good b/c Multiscale is illegal w/ Heal Bell (It's like Perish Song/Sap Sipper Azumarill).

As totoTavros already said, Heal Bell has already been discussed before, and it is illegal with Multiscale, which really sucks.
And also I'm pretty sure only perish song + whirlpool + sap sipper is illegal, which basically means you can pick any 2 out of the 3, but you can't use all 3.
Back to heal bell dragonite, it seems like a decent idea, but losing multiscale by running heal bell is really disappointing as I already said, forcing you to use inner focus. You can still run cleric sets, but in general, they're outclassed by mons like mega altaria, who have good offensive presence, reliable recovery and heal bell. I guess opportunity cost is a valid argument, because imo the only good offensive heal bell users are mega lopunny and mega altaria, which both use up the valuable mega stone. Dragonite also doesn't exactly have the best typing for a cleric, but it does have decent bulk.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe ( I might change the EVs later, the school's computers suck )
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Fire Punch / Dragon Dance
- Outrage / Dragon Claw/ Extreme Speed

What about turning this guy into a bulky phazer with Roar/Dragon Tail, and leaving Extremespeed as the final move to finish stuff off? I did something of the sort in B/W, with the lefties to handle residual damage from sandstorm (yeah, not the best choice with a Multiscale D-nite, but it was an IRL battle and I needed something to fill the slot... worked pretty well though, since D-nite and Tyranitar cover each other's weaknesses well.)

I suppose the full set would be:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Tail/Roar
- Extreme Speed/Iron Head (stupid fairy-types...)/Toxic maybe, with D-tail?

Roar for fairy-types, Dragon Tail to rack up more damage. Both would be nice, but then you're dependent on entry hazards and can't revenge kill a weakened pokemon with Extremespeed. If I were to resurrect this bulky phazer in a sandstream team I'd probably give him Safety Goggles now... Roost is good enough recovery to keep the Multiscale going most of the time.

What about turning this guy into a bulky phazer with Roar/Dragon Tail, and leaving Extremespeed as the final move to finish stuff off? I did something of the sort in B/W, with the lefties to handle residual damage from sandstorm (yeah, not the best choice with a Multiscale D-nite, but it was an IRL battle and I needed something to fill the slot... worked pretty well though, since D-nite and Tyranitar cover each other's weaknesses well.)

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Tail/Roar

Roar for fairy-types, Dragon Tail to rack up more damage. Both would be nice, but then you're dependent on entry hazards and can't revenge kill a weakened pokemon with Extremespeed. If I were to resurrect this bulky phazer in a sandstream team I'd probably give him Safety Goggles now... Roost is good enough recovery to keep the Multiscale going most of the time.
I kinda like this idea, but I'll leave it up to firehusky to decide

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 96 HP / 128 SpA / 80 SpD / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

This is SandNite, a pokemon able to lure the main checks/counters of the famous core tyranitar + excadrill and act like a sort of pivot during the match, checking the pokemons able to threat ttar and exca.
In xy excadrill with dragonite was used for the ability of excadrill of spinning rocks for dnite, and dnite was immune to ground and resistant to fire/fight/water. In oras things aren't changed so much, they are both viable together, but exca is awesome with ttar for sand rush, but dnite didn't like the sand. So i created this set.
Obviously this set is useful ONLY if used in the sand.
Leftovers are here so the sand didn't break multiscale, so we have always an improved version of sturdy.
The evs spread can seems strange, maybe random:

128 SpA: we can kill landorus therian and gliscor 100% of times with ice beam, okho mega scizor with fire blast and dent ferrothorn/skarmory, and do some damages to everything with draco meteor.

96 HP + 80 SpD: we can tank a greninja‘s ice beam 100% of times, lure him and okho with fire blast (greninja becomes ice type with protean), also general bulkyness. Also we have roost for recovering hp,

204 Spe: with 204 evs we reach 247 speed, so we can outspeed gliscor with 72 evs in speed and other random things like zapdos, celebi, tentacruel, adamant bisharp/breloom/heracross.

Calcs:
128+ SpA Dragonite Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 388-460 (101.5 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128+ SpA Dragonite Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 408-484 (115.5 - 137.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128+ SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 300-356 (85.2 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO212 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 96 HP / 80 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 291-346 (83.8 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
128+ SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 264-312 (79.2 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Tail/Roar

I guess the idea of this set has been used before in BW. The most common set was a parashuffler, with thunder wave, dragon tail, roost and something else. This set seems like a combination of SubRoost and a phazing set. I'll accept it, since it doesn't have thunderwave, and can abuse it's bulk + multiscale + roost to consistently set up substitutes and phaze stuff out with dragon tail.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

This is SandNite, a pokemon able to lure the main checks/counters of the famous core tyranitar + excadrill and act like a sort of pivot during the match, checking the pokemons able to threat ttar and exca.
In xy excadrill with dragonite was used for the ability of excadrill of spinning rocks for dnite, and dnite was immune to ground and resistant to fire/fight/water. In oras things aren't changed so much, they are both viable together, but exca is awesome with ttar for sand rush, but dnite didn't like the sand. So i created this set.
Obviously this set is useful ONLY if used in the sand.
Leftovers are here so the sand didn't break multiscale, so we have always an improved version of sturdy.
The evs spread can seems strange, maybe random:

128 SpA: we can kill landorus therian and gliscor 100% of times with ice beam, okho mega scizor with fire blast and dent ferrothorn/skarmory, and do some damages to everything with draco meteor.

96 HP + 80 SpD: we can tank a greninja‘s ice beam 100% of times, lure him and okho with fire blast (greninja becomes ice type with protean), also general bulkyness. Also we have roost for recovering hp,

204 Spe: with 204 evs we reach 247 speed, so we can outspeed gliscor with 72 evs in speed and other random things like zapdos, celebi, tentacruel, adamant bisharp/breloom/heracross.

Calcs:
128+ SpA Dragonite Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 388-460 (101.5 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128+ SpA Dragonite Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 408-484 (115.5 - 137.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128+ SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 300-356 (85.2 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO212 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 96 HP / 80 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 291-346 (83.8 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
128+ SpA Dragonite Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 264-312 (79.2 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
SandNite seems pretty fun! However, this is more of a bulky lure type of pokemon. Nice EVs, they are very carefully planned out. I like this, it seems like it could definitely work, since lando-t and gliscor are very common switch ins to dragonite, and ice beam is not affected by intimidate. Mega scizor also would normally treat non fire punch dnite as complete set up bait, but fire blast can do lots of damage.

A full list of all sets entered so far:
iamfanboy's Phazer Dragonite
TheInsanity's Lure SandNite

We have some really nice and interesting entries so far! Keep it up :]

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 64 Atk / 228 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

Bulky Dragon Dance Dragonite! This set is actually a set I've played with a LOT, and it just always does its job. Dragonite, invested, actually takes hit very well. It will always reliably set up one Dragon Dance if you've played correctly (i.e. removed checks and counters and such) and after a couple, it starts doing damage. The idea of the set is to function on offensive teams that is bulky yet still has good offensive presence. Roost is great because you reactivate Multiscale, and ensure one more Dragon Dance again. That's basically the main use of the set, to keep Dragon Dancing until eventually you can sweep or majorly do damage. Dragonite is very bulky on the special side for reference;

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 216 HP / 228 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 135-161 (35.8 - 42.7%) -- 94.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Keep roosting, and it kills itself with LO

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 216 HP / 228 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 265-312 (70.2 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 192-228 (50.9 - 60.4%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 205-243 (54.3 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 193-228 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 216 HP / 228 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 222-263 (58.8 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Do note that all of these are beaten after a Dragon Dance, with either Dragon Claw or Earthquake and with Stealth Rock support.

If you want to know what the EVs do, they hit a jump point in Attack and let you take special hits well

Adding this to the list, the calcs after investment really show just how bulky dragonite is. This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for! Bulky ddance dragonite is a prime example because at one point in XY, there was dragonite + zard x + fairy + steel everywhere, and this set is a perfect example of a set that took the metagame by storm, but is slowly fading away.

Updated list:
Mysteria's Bulky DDnite

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
With Safety Goggles letting a Pokemon ignore terrain damage (as well as powder stuff, letting you ignore Sleep Powder/Rage Powder/Stun Spore/Spore), perhaps that would be a better choice? As it is, Lefties only functions to let it ignore those effects, and lefties might be better on your sandstreamer - Hippowdon does like leftovers.

As a bonus, Ice Beam/Fire Blast punishes common users of all those moves.

I... think I may prefer your set on a sandstorm team to my bulky phazer.... and the more I read of Safety Goggles the more I like.

I guess the idea of this set has been used before in BW. The most common set was a parashuffler, with thunder wave, dragon tail, roost and something else. This set seems like a combination of SubRoost and a phazing set. I'll accept it, since it doesn't have thunderwave, and can abuse it's bulk + multiscale + roost to consistently set up substitutes and phaze stuff out with dragon tail.

SandNite seems pretty fun! However, this is more of a bulky lure type of pokemon. Nice EVs, they are very carefully planned out. I like this, it seems like it could definitely work, since lando-t and gliscor are very common switch ins to dragonite, and ice beam is not affected by intimidate. Mega scizor also would normally treat non fire punch dnite as complete set up bait, but fire blast can do lots of damage.

A full list of all sets entered so far:

We have some really nice and interesting entries so far! Keep it up :]
Do you think a mono attacking subroost + Dragon dance with Outrage would be better?

With Safety Goggles letting a Pokemon ignore terrain damage (as well as powder stuff, letting you ignore Sleep Powder/Rage Powder/Stun Spore/Spore), perhaps that would be a better choice? As it is, Lefties only functions to let it ignore those effects, and lefties might be better on your sandstreamer - Hippowdon does like leftovers.

As a bonus, Ice Beam/Fire Blast punishes common users of all those moves.

I... think I may prefer your set on a sandstorm team to my bulky phazer.... and the more I read of Safety Goggles the more I like.
Safety goggles and leftovers both have their pros and cons. Obviously safely goggles ignores sandstorm damage, allowing dragonite to not worry about being worn down. However, leftovers cancels out with sand damage, while also providing passive recovery constantly. Safety goggles also has the plus of ignoring powder moves, so that's pretty big, but other than stopping sand damage, it's pretty much a deadweight item. Lefties is more of jack of all trades, since it works well in almost all cases, whereas safety goggles works extremely well under sand, but without sand, it's completely useless pretty much.
It's basically up to you, I don't really prefer one or the other.

Do you think a mono attacking subroost + Dragon dance with Outrage would be better?
Well the whole point of the set was for dragonite to hide behind subs and to spam dragon tail to phaze stuff (preferably with hazards + spikes) safely, and then finish off weakened foes with e-speed. A mono attacking set generally isn't good with dragon as your only move, because there are plenty of fairies and steels in OU, the main ones being scizor, ferro, skarm, clef, mega diancie, mega gross, mega altaria ... as you can see, it's hard for dragonite to function with only one move.
If you were talking about Mysteria 's set, then no, running subroost + ddance + outrage would not be good, because of mentioned reasons, but also because sub limits your coverage options, so you generally wouldn't want to run 3 non attacking moves on an offensive set.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 64 Atk / 228 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

Bulky Dragon Dance Dragonite! This set is actually a set I've played with a LOT, and it just always does its job. Dragonite, invested, actually takes hit very well. It will always reliably set up one Dragon Dance if you've played correctly (i.e. removed checks and counters and such) and after a couple, it starts doing damage. The idea of the set is to function on offensive teams that is bulky yet still has good offensive presence. Roost is great because you reactivate Multiscale, and ensure one more Dragon Dance again. That's basically the main use of the set, to keep Dragon Dancing until eventually you can sweep or majorly do damage. Dragonite is very bulky on the special side for reference;

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 216 HP / 228 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 135-161 (35.8 - 42.7%) -- 94.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Keep roosting, and it kills itself with LO

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 216 HP / 228 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 265-312 (70.2 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 192-228 (50.9 - 60.4%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 205-243 (54.3 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 193-228 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 216 HP / 228 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 222-263 (58.8 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Do note that all of these are beaten after a Dragon Dance, with either Dragon Claw or Earthquake and with Stealth Rock support.

If you want to know what the EVs do, they hit a jump point in Attack and let you take special hits well
Just wondering, shouldn't "The Next Best Thing" be not the one featured first on the official Smogon analysis, or one that was created during a previous TNBT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)