Aegislash (QC 3/3)(GP 2/2)

QC: Sweep / Shrang / PROBLEMS

GP: Winry / GatoDelFuego

Overview
########
Aegislash is a brilliant Xerneas check and a solid user of Pursuit that can trap Latios, Latias, Deoxys-A, and Mega Gengar, as well as an all-around solid wall. Aegislash also has a unique move in King's Shield, which drops an opposing Pokemon's Attack by two stages if their move makes contact. Aegislash also has the ability to punish its switch-ins with Toxic. However, many powerful Pokemon can overwhelm Aegislash. Another flaw is that Aegislash lacks reliable recovery outside of Leftovers, which can always be Knocked Off.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: King's Shield
move 2: Gyro Ball
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Pursuit
ability: Stance Change
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe
nature: Sassy

Moves
========
King's Shield allows Aegislash to regain its solid defensive stats and scout for moves. An added benefit is that King's Shield can drop an opposing Pokemon's Attack if they use a contact move. Gyro Ball is the most powerful move Aegislash can use against offensive Xerneas. However, Iron Head can be used for its increased PP, the fact that it does not rely on Aegislash's Speed, and for its ability to hit defensive Fairy-types such as Clefable harder. Toxic is used to spread consistent damage and punish switch-ins. Pursuit is used to trap Pokemon such as Latias and Deoxys-A, but can also help prevent team members from being sniped by Mega Gengar. If your team doesn't require Pursuit support, then Shadow Sneak can be used as priority or as a method of KOing weakened sweepers.

Set Details
========
A Sassy nature and 0 Speed IVs are used so that Gyro Ball does maximum damage. Maximum HP and Special Defense investment is so that Aegislash can fulfill its primary purpose of checking Geomancy Xerneas. The remaining EVs are thrown into Defense to help soften physical attacks. Leftovers is used so that Aegislash has a reliable method of recovering HP.

Usage Tips
========
Try not to switch in too aggressively against offensive Xerneas, as smart players will wear Aegislash down until it cannot check the Geomancy set. Use Toxic liberally, as it is the only move Aegislash has to punish switch-ins. Try not to take any hits in Blade forme, as its defenses are very low. However, don't use King's Shield too often; if the opponent predicts it, then they receive a free turn. Also remember that King's Shield fails against Shadow Force and its users will neither suffer the Attack drop nor have their attack blocked. Status effects, especially burns, compromise Aegislash's ability to check Xerneas, so it is best to avoid them. Try Pursuit trapping Latios, Latias, Mega Gengar, and Deoxys-A, but be careful if the opponent has both a Xerneas and one of the aforementioned threats, as this can lead to Aegislash becoming too weak to prevent Xerneas sweeping.

Team Options
========
Clerics such as Xerneas and Clefable can help cure status effects for Aegislash, while Aegislash can Pursuit trap threats such as Mega Gengar for them. Clefable can also provide Wish support, while both Xerneas and Clefable can help check Yveltal for Aegislash. A solid Primal Groudon check is a must, as all Aegislash can do to punish it is to Toxic Primal Groudon on the switch . Lugia and Ground Arceus can both take on Primal Groudon and Defog away entry hazards. Other options for entry hazard removal include Giratina-O and Tentacruel, while Mega Diancie's Magic Bounce ability can help prevent entry hazards going up altogether. Last but not least, remember that Aegislash is a utility Pokemon that should fit the needs of your team and so should not be built around.

Other Options
########
Aegislash is very specialized, so it does not have many alternative options that are viable. Sacred Sword can be used to KO Heatran and Ferrothorn after luring them in . Head Smash can be used to OHKO Ho-Oh, but has large recoil damage. Rock Slide is an alternative to Head Smash that comes without the recoil, but fails to OHKO Ho-Oh without Stealth Rock damage. A RestTalk set can be used, however the recovery is unreliable, and Aegislash sorely misses Toxic. Shadow Ball hits Mewtwo and Primal Groudon for decent damage. A Choice Specs set with Shadow Ball / Flash Cannon / Head Smash / Gyro Ball can be used for the surprise factor, as well as its reasonable damage output.

Checks & Counters
########
**Fire-types**: Heatran only fears the rare Sacred Sword, but can still outspeed and force out Aegislash. Primal Groudon hates Toxic, but takes Gyro Ball very well, forces Aegislash out, and can set up Stealth Rock or useRock Polish and proceed to sweep. Ho-Oh is very similar to Primal Groudon, but has Regenerator and Roost to heal off Toxic damage and can set up a Substitute as it forces Aegislash out. However, it needs to be wary of Rock Slide or Head Smash.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types such as Poison Arceus and Tentacruel can burn Aegislash with Will-O-Wisp and Scald respectively. As these Pokemon are immune to Toxic, they can switch in and out without fearing any of Aegislash's moves. Poison Arceus can also burn Aegislash while not being affected by King's Shield, due to Will-O-Wisp being a status move.

**Gliscor**: Gliscor doesn't mind Toxic due to Poison Heal and has its STAB Earthquake to force Aegislash out. Once Aegislash is forced out, Gliscor can use U-turn to gain momentum or set up Stealth Rock. Gliscor has to be careful of U-turning right away, however, as it can receive an Attack drop from Kings's Shield.

**Dark-types**: Most Dark-types fear Toxic, but Dark Arceus can Refresh it off and set up Calm Mind as it forces out Aegislash with the threat of a super effective Judgement. Yveltal doesn't like Toxic either, but has Oblivion Wing to recover HP can Taunt Aegislash to prevent it from using King's Shield again, or fire off a super effective Dark Pulse. Darkrai can take a Toxic if need be, but its high Speed means that it won't appreciate coming in on a Gyro Ball or a Sacred Sword. It does force Aegislash out, however, and can set up a Nasty Plot or a Substitute on the switch.

**Steel-types**: Ferrothorn is immune to Toxic and only fears the rare Sacred Sword. It can set up entry hazards or sap Aegislash's health with Leech Seed. Dialga also fears nothing but Sacred Sword and can force Aegislash out with the threat of a Fire Blast, then proceed to set up Stealth Rock on the switch.

**Giratina-O**: Giratina-O doesn't like coming in on Toxic or Shadow Ball, but can hit Aegislash with its super effective STAB Shadow Force, which can't be blocked by King's Shield.

Overview
########

• Very good xern check
  • Pursuit is cool
  • Great defenses
  • Priority
  • Can punish Switchins with toxic
  • Is setup bait/fodder for lots of things.
  • Kings shield can drop physical attackers attack
  • KS can be predicted and so used as setup bait

SET NAME
########
name: SET NAME
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
ability:
item:
evs:
nature:

Moves
========

• King's shield gets you into defensive mode
  • Gyro Ball hits geoxern hard
  • Toxic to pressure switchins, such as Ho-oh and Ygod
  • Pursuit is for two reasons, to trap things like lati@s/deoxys-a, and also to prevent things being trapped by gar.
  • Shadow sneak for priority.
  • Iron head does consistent damage to fairies, but doesn't hit geoxern as hard. More pp is also cool.

Set Details
========

• Sassy so gyro ball does max damage
  • Max special defense/HP so that xern is easier to take on.
  • 4 defense to help with physical hits.
  • Leftovers for recovery
  • 0 speed ivs for gyro ball

Usage Tips
========

• Don't be too aggressive against xern, since smart players will just moonblast on the switch and wear you down
  • Toxic if you think the opponent will switch
  • Don't take hits in blade form, because the defenses are terrible
  • But don't use king's shield too much as players can use you as setup fodder
  • Try not to get burnt, as your ability to take on xern becomes compromised
  • You can pursuit lati@s, but they can deal solid damage to you which means the ability to check xern is a bit more shaky
  • If the opponent has just xern(no latis) then be a bit more aggressive(not too much though)
  • Be careful if opponent has both xern and lati@s

Team Options
========

• Clerics are nice and you can pursuit for them
  • Things to take care of ho-oh/ygod/pdon/ whatever comes in on you
  • Wish support is good
  • A secondary xern check is good, especially one that can beat subgeo variants
  • Defog/spin is nice since you don't want hazards damage
  • Don't build around this, it is a utility mon that should fit your teams needs.

Other Options
########

• It's good at one thing
  • Sacred sword can 2hko heatran/ferro with investment after rocks.
  • Rest talk could work, is unreliable though
  • Head smash to lure ho-oh
  • Shadow ball for mixed attacking prowess, and to help beat stalltwo or mega-mewtwo-x.
  • Rock slide does a fair bit to ho-oh and won't take away hp, but fails to Ko without rocks up.
  • A specs set with shadow ball/flash cannon/ head smash / gyro ball can be used for its suprise factor, and hits reasonably hard(2hkos pdon with shadow ball)

Checks & Counters
########
  • Lot's of things can check it, but hate taking toxic
  • heatran can force you out, and doesn't care about toxic
  • Pdon can easily force aegislash out, and then setup. Hates toxic though
  • Poison types like arc-poison and tentacruel can burn you, and are immune to toxic
  • Gliscor evades toxic, and hits hard with earth quake
  • Ho-oh can easily kill you, but they have to watch out for toxic and/or head smash
  • dark types force you out, ygod hates toxic, but darkceus can refresh it off. Darkrai can take a toxic if need be, but won't like coming in on an attack
  • Ferro uses you as hazard fodder, and can recover hp with leech seed
  • Dialga can threaten to fire blast, and can set up rocks on the switch.
  • Giratina-o hates switching in on a ghost type move/toxic but can shadow force through King's shield

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would hold off on investing in Attack because the Xern spread is likely to change (XY's benchmark is mostly irrelevant IMO so it will have different Speed and defenses).

Also spaces between slashes

Maybe deslash Shadow Sneak and leave it in moves? It's fairly weak and doesn't hit that much, whereas Aegislash's typing and stats are really good for trapping the Latis even if they carry HP Fire. Pursuit doesn't OHKO on the switch though, which is unfortunate.

In team options maybe add a bit about this not being a mon to build around, but more something you add to a team needing a Xern check (I feel like a lot of (ladder) players try make an Aegislash team which ultimately doesn't work). I also wouldn't say another Xern check is needed, since it is definitely not beating Aegislash and I don't really think SubGeo wins either (can't stall out Gyro Ball, not too common in any case).

Probably move PDon to the top of Checks since it is definitely the most common thing you'll see, also add Giratina-O somewhere since Shadow Force goes through King's Shield.

I do have spacing(I think?). I dunno about the attack, I think it needs some investment, but like you said, I'm not sure. Shadow sneak is priority, which is important, so I'm gonna keep it in moves(for now, I'll wait to hear what QC has to say). I'll put the lati@s trapping thing in usage tips, and I'll do the team options thing. I haven't put pdon at the top, since it can get toxiced on the switch. Sub Geo doesn't win straight away, but the aegislash user has to get 4 50/50s correct in a row, while the subxern user only needs to get 1 correct. I did forget about giratina-o, so I will add that.

Thank you for the help.

Mention the sharp decrease of HP Fire/Sub Geo Xern makes aegis a more reliable answer somewhere, but include the fact that geo sets are running less speed (i've seen them go as low as 44 evs) meaning Gyro Ball will never OHKO it
0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Gyro Ball (87 BP) vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 270-318 (64.4 - 75.8%) Xerneas runs more bulk than this these days but thats just to show my earlier point that most of the time this will be a 2HKO, leaving some room for xern to play around aegis (that calc was 44 speed evs btw)

Primal Don needs to be no1 counter, trying to toxic it on the switch is all you can do and giving primal groudon a free turn can be a one-way ticket to losing - it certainly needs to be above the poison types that are generally irrelevant in this meta.
I think an offensive set isnt outta the question, the increase of ghost-weak mons running around means spamming shadow balls from 150spa cant be that bad, especially when it can still do what it needs to but QC will need to judge.
You also mentioned Head Smash in set details instead of moves - might wanna change that. Thats all i spotted so far.

Mention the sharp decrease of HP Fire/Sub Geo Xern makes aegis a more reliable answer somewhere, but include the fact that geo sets are running less speed (i've seen them go as low as 44 evs) meaning Gyro Ball will never OHKO it
0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Gyro Ball (87 BP) vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 270-318 (64.4 - 75.8%) Xerneas runs more bulk than this these days but thats just to show my earlier point that most of the time this will be a 2HKO, leaving some room for xern to play around aegis (that calc was 44 speed evs btw)
I think you might have missed the 0 Speed IVs/- Speed Nature for Aegislash in that calc. It should be something like this, assuming 44 Speed EVs for + 2 Xerneas. The rest of the EVs I placed in HP but could go into Def (waiting for QC to decide on ideal spread).

0 Atk Aegislash-Blade Gyro Ball (109 BP) vs. 180 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 338-398 (77.1 - 90.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Edit nvm

Tbh it might be best to hold off EVing and stuff until the GeoXern spread is finished, it doesn't really make sense to mention Xern is running less Speed because less Speed than what? The analysis should be self contained so it shouldn't have to reference XY or anything

Edit @ below ye I wasn't worried abt that part

Last edited:
o yea i missed the 0 speed ivs but had the right nature, ignore the speed part then - im stupid
anyways i agree its best to see what xerneas is best at running before making judgments - although the fact still remains that sub/hp fire isnt common due to threats of the metagame changing up what xerneas runs making aegislash more effective, that doesnt reference xy from my understanding but its w/e, see what qc says.

Technically, Aegislash can still beat SubGeo if it is at full health. Even if you are attacked in Blade Forme, Aegislash can live a +2 Moonblast and has a good chance of living +2 Thunder.

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Blade: 248-292 (76.5 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Blade: 287-338 (88.5 - 104.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Gyro Ball is a OHKO after Xerneas has used a Sub.

Shadow Ball should get a significant moves mention; maybe even a slash in the last slot. It's great for taking a hit and dealing good, reliable damage in return. Gyro Ball won't always do enough damage since it's very reliant on Speed, and if Iron Head is being used, you can even sorta balance it out in physical/special attack combo to hit opponents from both sides. Furthermore, it makes you less prone to burns.

small nitpick aside from that; I don't think Metal Sound is even worth mentioning at all. Also what does the first line meant?

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Its a statement to say that there are almost no viable other options because of how specialized Aegislash is.

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
I'm sorry but Mysteria is wrong in his reasoning for the use of Shadow Ball, the only reason it was even slightly viable in XY was to allow Aegislash to take on Stalltwo. You should not be relying on Aegislash to "take a hit and retaliate back", you should be relying on it for 3 main things, which are dealing with Xerneas, Pursuit trapping Lati@s, and Pursuit trapping Gengar and Gothitelle, with spreading Toxic really what you put Aegislash on your team for. Gyro Ball / Pursuit / Toxic / King's Shield allows Aegislash to do all these things, and these three things are the ONLY things Aegislash should really be doing, as you can throw out Toxic to punish Groudon / Arceus-Ghost switchins, and can switch in on Arceus-Fairy and poison it etc. Primal Groudon is a new Stalltwo check so Aegislash doesn't need to fulfill that role on the teams it will be used on, which are defensive teams only. 0 SpA Shadow Ball doesn't even come close to 2HKOing Latias after Stealth Rock, which is kindof depressing.

Last edited:
"Sub xern is annoying" isn't worth the mention in the intro.

Shadow Sneak is awful and Iron Head is only okay vs certain mons (CM Xern for example). I'd prefer no slashes whatsoever on this analysis as the given set allows Aegi to fulfill its niche in Ubers, as noted by pistolero.

I'd leave Iron Head and Shadow Ball in moves unslashed, Shadow Ball is bad but still hits Groudon for solid damage on the switch and hits Taunt Mewtwo-X and the much rarer Stalltwo, it has some limited use if you don't think you need Pursuit. It isn't AS bad as people make it out to be. Then again if you don't need Pursuit, why use Aegislash :p (which is a big reason why SBall isn't getting a slash).

In usage tips, mention that if you only need Aegislash to check Xern (i.e. no Lati on the opponent's team) that it can switch in a couple of times. It takes a WHILE for Xern to wear it down into +2 KO range. Most things don't appreciate an unboosted Moonblast either. If the opponent has Xerneas and a Lati, then yea you need to be a bit more cautious.

Metal Sound is awful, remove from OO. Head Smash and Shadow Sneak should go here, as much as I like the former as a gimmick.

Move PDon below Heatran in Checks & Counters because it despises Toxic. Also, change "Darkrai doesn't really care about status" to "Darkrai can switch in on Toxic if need be." Darkrai definitely does despise most forms of status.

QC 1/3, you seem to understand Aegislash's limitations enough to go forth.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • Pursuit if your team needs it,
Be a bit more specific please. When you say that, it implies that other options are good if don't need it, and you don't have anything slashed with it. Just tell the reader what Pursuit does (trap Lati@s and Deo-A), don't give an ambiguous "if your team needs it".

You also have Shadow Sneak, Shadow Ball and Head Smash in both Other Options and in the Moves Options of the set. Have one copy of each. IMO they can stay in the Moves Options so get rid of the OO copy (Or follow Sweep in leaving Sneak and Smash in OO, I really don't mind it's up to you). Personally I've found Shadow Sneak useful at times since clutch priority is always nice.

Other things for OO:
- Rock Slide also does a crapload to Ho-oh without sacrificing like more than half your health... although it doesn't OHKO at 100%.
- Me and MM2 tested Specs back in XY, and it was fun to surprise some people sending in their bulky Grounds. You 2HKO even SpD Primal Groudon after SR with Shadow Ball, which is kind of cool. You'd use something like Shadow Ball / Flash Cannon / Head Smash / Gyro Ball (yes, it literally had zero other coverage outside Hidden Power). There's plenty of things wrong with it, but it's a fun gimmick to toss into OO IMO.

Fix these and I'll approve.

Last edited:

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • Rock slide does a fair bit to ho-oh and won't take away hp, but fails to Ko with rocks up.
That should say "without Rocks up". It does about 80-90% IIRC.

Anyway, qc approved 2/3, provided you fix that little detail.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
Can you clarify what Speed Xern is running so that 20 Atk OHKOes it after Rocks? Also why not max HP and 236 SpD (does like 0.2% less so w/e though)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)