Let's Play! Deino Plays! np: Omega Ruby Gauntlet FINALE

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Art by Kadew

Hello and welcome to Deino Plays! This is a thread that I used to own back in the day that has since died in my absence. I play through games with certain challenges (nuzlocke, scramble, randomizer, etc.) and get advice from fans throughout. The idea is an interactive Let’s Play with the community. Often, users will request certain Pokemon to be named after them, which is a lot of fun because I get to catch more Pokemon and they get to be a part of the action. Anyways, I’m bringing back the thread, and with the advent of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, I’ll be setting out on another adventure.

If any of you are like me (and I’m guessing most of you are like me), you’re not that familiar with something called the Gauntlet Challenge. Essentially I’ve been given four rule challenges that follow me throughout the game and four event challenges that only affect me at a certain point. If you like what you read, maybe you should check out the thread and do a Gauntlet run of your own!

Anyways, down to business. These are the challenges with the users that submitted them:

lucariomaster2 - Every time you use a Pokemon center, you must buy and toss items worth 400P times the number of badges you have.

Level 51 - no evolving your Pokemon.

Naix - All of your Pokemon have a "life" system which dictates they can faint a maximum of 3 times before being unable to be used any more for any purposes.

Hulavuta - Throw away an item to switch.

lucariomaster2 - You may not use STAB moves against Steven.

Its_A_Random - You may only defeat Wattson with Pokémon holding a Cheri Berry. If the berry is consumed mid-battle, then they can no longer take part. If you have no berries on your team left then you wipe and go back to before you battle him.

turskain - Solo Winona using a freshly caught Pokémon - the Pokémon may not learn TMs, HMs, tutor moves, or gain experience points prior to the battle.

Naix - Any Pokemon you send in battle against the Trainers in Petalburg Gym can't participate in the fight against Norman.

Without further ado,

Let’s Play Pokemon Omega Ruby!

Let's Play!

No it's okay. I have all night.

Much like school, my reputation precedes me.

I name myself Cody (spoilers: that’s my name) and hop out of the back of the moving truck. After a little dialogue, I run next door to meet my neighbor May who seems to have gotten more of an upgrade than some of our megas this gen.

+60 boost in figure

I run over to protect Professor <insert tree> from <insert harmless Route 1 Pokemon>.

I've been waiting here for ~10 minutes and Poochyena hasn't even attacked him yet

I pick up my Treecko that I’ll be using for at least the first couple gyms and wipe the floor with the Poochyena I am matched up with.

Fun fact: If you name your starter after the head mod, they can't lock your thread*

*results may vary
Since I have a baby nuzlocke rule and a rule against evolving, I’m gonna have to grind a bit.

After reaching level 7, we realize that Deino is too lazy to grind. On with the story.

Anyways, we head to battle May. DHR manages to edge out her Torchic with 3 HP left. After some boring dialogue with Professor Betula alleghaniensis, I push on towards Oldale town. I stop for a few moments to catch a Modest Thunder Fang Poochyena, which I just toss into a box.

*blushes*

:') thanks

I roll over a few trainers on my way to Petalburg, and then it’s time to help Wally catch one of my favorite mons. :/ catch one for me…?

He didn’t. Fine. I’ll move on to Route 104 and look for a Marill. I think a Huge Power water could help me especially since I can’t evolve.

Cue not realizing there is no Marill on Route 104. This is going more slowly than I anticipated. I power through Petalburg Woods and run into the grunt that insults me and then is dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Cool pose, nerd.

. I escape from the woods without even catching a single Shroomish–a crime punishable by death if Kadew finds out.

Stocking up for Mauville

So I’ve made it to Rustboro, and I’m headed straight into the gym. I don’t actually think that my Treecko can take on the Nosepass, but I’m gonna try.

Okay *deep breath* here goes. I'm actually this short IRL

Treecko wrecks the first Geodude, and upon leveling up, learns Mega Drain (THANK YOU) and is able to 2HKO Nosepass.

1/8

So with my first badge comes the last time that I can heal for free. Every heal from now will be 400 P times the badge number. My Treecko is now sitting at Level 14. :)

And that's the first installment of Deino Plays! I hope you enjoyed reading and I encourage lots of posting and messaging to give me feedback and help me out. I'm looking forward to continuing this series, and I hope everyone else is as well.

Thank you!

~DEINO

Last edited:

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus
Wow, giant images tsk tsk I expected so much better of you. 0/10 would not draw awesome art for again.

This is rad and I sincerely apologize for my harsh words. It's really great having you back to oi and I eagerly await more updates of this. Your commentary is pretty great, too.

Kudos to you for being too lazy to grind, I always approve of under-leveled gaming. I'll even let it slide that you didn't catch any shroomish... >:T

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Happy for the re-size; it looks way better now.

Looking forward to more! Hopefully you can stretch it out more as you go along, you covered quite a bit in just a short post. Although I understand it might be a little unwieldy if you have to take all the pictures with an actual camera.

P.S. YAY DEINO'S BACK

Eagerly looking forward to more Deino Plays! One question - will you also be disallowing Mega Evolution as part of the no-evo rule? If you're not, Mega Absol seems like it would be really good late-game.

deinosaur

Welcome to the second episode of Deino Plays! I'm continuing on my Pokemon Omega Ruby Gauntlet run, and I'm headed to the second gym! I tried to stretch this out since their isn't a lot between gym 1 and gym 2, but it was a lot of fun to make. Anyways, here are the challenges again:

lucariomaster2 - Every time you use a Pokemon center, you must buy and toss items worth 400P times the number of badges you have.

Naix - All of your Pokemon have a "life" system which dictates they can faint a maximum of 3 times before being unable to be used any more for any purposes.

Its_A_Random - You may only defeat Wattson with Pokémon holding a Cheri Berry. If the berry is consumed mid-battle, then they can no longer take part. If you have no berries on your team left then you wipe and go back to before you battle him.

turskain - Solo Winona using a freshly caught Pokémon - the Pokémon may not learn TMs, HMs, tutor moves, or gain experience points prior to the battle.

Naix - Any Pokemon you send in battle against the Trainers in Petalburg Gym can't participate in the fight against Norman.

Without further ado,

Chapter Two: Zubat Sucks

I step out of the gym, proudly displaying my new badge and I see the Magma grunt sprint out of the Devon Corp building, apparently laying a hand on the researcher’s parts (I’m sure no one has done that for him ever). I run towards the next route, searching for something I can use against the next gym.

"I've lost my face!"

Unfortunately I’ve got no ideas in mind and I run off to find Peeko. If I had a penny for every Poochyena I see in this game…

…well I’d have $0.04 at this point.

*says as he backs away in fear

Anyways, I save Peeko from the oddly faceless Mr. Briney and go get my Great Ball from the researcher. The President hands me my chores and I’m off to Petalburg again.

GP 0/2

Any mega stones back there? Pidgeotite perhaps?

I get to experience my first paid Pokemon Center visit, and it is unfriendly. Given how tight money usually is for me (no I’m not just talking about the game), it’s gonna be tough just tossing it every time I need more PP.

I see they've made the cut house so that I can find it this gen

On the way back to Petalburg I run into a bunch of trainers that I skillfully avoided on the first trip. I am awfully clumsy. I hate to break up the strange game of tag that Peeko and Briney are playing, but I have to visit Steven.

Paying up for the healz

Are you mocking me because I can't evolve my mons you mOTHE
RFUCKER

This is the part of the show where I find out that I’m behind the times, and have a little fun messing around with the local trends.

...no I can't...I can't imagine there is, grandpa...

Much like I repel women with my dances

I run into Dewford cave to try and catch ANYTHING that I can use against Brawly. I end up finding a female Geodude (good luck, 5% encounter rate!!) and I nickname it “It” because I’m not entirely sure of the sexuality. I’ll save him/her for Mauville.

What are you?

After about half an hour, I actually find a freaking Zubat. I named it Scrub. No I really couldn’t think of anything better. I realize how incredibly weak it is, especially before learning Wing Attack. Zubat gets killed once. FUCK YOU. YOU PIECE OF GARBAGE. I pretty much have nothing to train it against in Dewford. After a little work, it learns Wing Attack and becomes more usable. Time for the gym.

*Stellar

Since I don’t plan to keep many of my mons for too long, I’m not worried about them dying. I send out Treecko against Brawly’s Machop to hopefully take him out before I’m forced to send out Zubat.

Even in a game I'm horribly not-photogenic

Machop is taken out by Mega Drain + QA + Mega Drain. Instead of switch right to Zubat, I’m gonna fire off some Leers to help Zubat take on Makuhita. Makuhita keeps using Bulk Up, so I could be in trouble here…

Even Makuhita looks better than me

Scrub moves in against Makuhita at +4 Atk/-3 Def and I’m hopefully fast enough to outspeed. AND WING ATTACK OHKOS. That’s the second badge for you.

2/8

So that's all for Episode 2 of Deino Plays! Thank you for reading. Please leave feedback or likes or message me, however you want to better the series. The support really means a lot and it keeps me going. I'll hopefully be updating once every 2-3 days, but I can't promise I'll be especially fast as the segments get longer and more challenging. Anyways, thanks for reading!

~Deino

Awesome run so far! One hint I'll give to you for getting around my pay-to-use-the-pokemon-center rule is that there is a PP-restoring item that quite literally grows on trees.

deinosaur

Welcome back to Deino Plays!

Let's Play Pokemon Omega Ruby!

Chapter 3: Geodude vs. The World

[WARNING] This is a long one. I put a lot more commentary in. Let me know how you enjoy it.

I load up the game and run into the cave in Dewford. Steven gives me my TM, so I gather my things and prepare for the trip to Slateport. I’ll be going all the way to Mauville and taking on the leader in this part, so I’m attempting to train up my Geodude. Having no evolutions means that I’ll have to plan way ahead in order to beat certain trainers, and I’ll have to be constantly dumping team members and picking up new ones.

Steven, have you been itching for more Deino Plays?

He was looking forward to making an appearance today. We pull top-notch name recognition.

I get on the ship and prepare to deliver the Devon Parts to Captain Stern. Once I land in Slateport, I go and accidentally heal…then I remember that it’s expensive now. I drop a cold 800 in potions and then just leave them on the floor in the Pokemart.

I'll be delivering some parts for sure...

User: Limi in bed

After that leaves an easy trip to the museum to actually deliver the package.

You'll have to be more specific.

Believe it or not, I’m not very intimidated by these grunts. The Numel he sends out is a lot of trouble for my underleveled Geodude, but that doesn’t stop me from winning. Zubat pulls a triple flinch with Bite (who said I wasn’t lucky), but Dude takes him and the following Numel out without too much trouble.

When did Maxie become a huge nerd? (A Mega-nerd even)

I try to leave Slateport, but I’m stopped by the obligatory interview with our teen actress who meets all of the stereotypes. The next trainer I face pulls out a Plusle that bestows an Oran Berry on me. Is there a time where they won’t use that to help me? I guess Plusles are inherently nice. AND THEN MINUN SWITCHEROO’D IT BACK. Omega Ruby giveth and Omega Ruby taketh away.

:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Geodude rolls through all the trainers on the way to May, but this is where we’ll face a real challenge.

She leads with Wailmer, and I’m gonna switch to Treecko (throwing out a pokeball so I can switch). Mega Drain 4HKO’s and I switch again to Zubat to take on Combusken. Comusken flat stomps Zubat before it can even get off a Supersonic. Geodude comes in and tanks a Double Kick to KO with Magnitude 8. Her last Pokemon is Shroomish, which Treecko handles nicely. By nicely I mean it Leers until Shroomish is at -6 and then gets a 3HKO with Quick Attack…

No my mons are so weak D:

Either way, we emerge victorious. May heals my Pokemon (THANK YOU) And I toss out three pokeballs. For Mauville, I’m really only going to need a strong Geodude, so I’m going to focus on training him for now. I battle all the wild Pokemon I meet and wipe out all the trainers on the way.

Hella fly

As all of you know, Mauville looks HELLA cool this gen. I walk in on Wally arguing with his papa and prove to him why he isn’t ready. Ralts is simply not enough to take on Mauville, buddy.

Sorry kiddo

After crushing Wally’s hopes and dreams, I move into the gym. I hope to take on Wattson entirely with a Geodude. I can’t wait to see how it works out. After wiping the floor with all of the gym trainers (Why did one of them have Meditite????), I move on to Wattson. Can he handle a Geodude wielding a Cheri Berry???

What are you staring at?

what is wrong wITH YOUR FACE??

He sends out a Magnemite, which is simply no trouble for Geodude. Sturdy saves it from death, but I use the turn to Rock Polish up. Now I’m fast enough to outspeed his whole team.

No

He sends out the Magneton hoping to stop my advance.

No

Magnitude ends the second Electric-Steel and his last chance is Voltorb. Magnitude 9. Goodnight.

In any event, I took the badge.

3/8

So this is the end of the third installment of Deino Plays! I tried to include more commentary, but the short length of the actual ingame segment may have hampered the actual length of the post. Leave me some feedback. Is this better? Would you like me to write more paragraph form like this or more line by line as I have done previously? Leave me some comments or message me. Feedback is appreciated.

Thank you for reading!

~Deino

Last edited:

deinosaur

Welcome to the fourth installment of:

Chapter 3.5: Grabbing a Bite to Eat

I wake up in Mauville. I head down to the Pokemon Center to restore all my mons and I buy lots of Potions and a few Great Balls.

Corporations. *shudder*

Just for some fun, I decided I’d play around in Mauville. I head into the Inverse Battle Shop. Never been in here. My Zubat potentially could take on this Rhydon, but the level gap is way too large. He gets smacked by a resisted Stone Edge and falls. I can no longer use the Zubat due to three deaths. I lose the battle, meaning two deaths for Treecko and Geodude both.

Making BANK

Reminds me of Seattle. Just one big Starbucks.

It takes me a while to find the bike shop, but it was worth it. I grab the Mach Bike and head on my way. Something catches my eye before I take off for real though:

THE FOOD COURT

The Deinosaur in his natural habitat. Observe quietly...do not startle him.

Some kid comes after me and attacks with a Slugma. Heh. Geodude. Nobody gets between me and food. The Oddish that follows meets a similar fate. There is not much you can do to stop me from obtaining my rightfully purchased cuisine. After I finish my Village Sub Combo, it’s time to head off towards my real objective: Mt Chimney and the fourth gym at Lavaridge.

No caption needed

I ride up through Fiery Path with zero encounters…something that almost never seems to happen to me. I beat up on an Ace Trainer and then I’m lectured about Secret Power.

Home sweet home. c:

Treecko nearly faints a third time, but he is spared by some luck. I’m worried about what will happen if I actually lose all my mons…I’ll have a half-beaten OR game and I’ll have to start another challenge…we can’t let that happen!

I get a bit closer to Fallarbor Town to visit Doctor Cozmo (the Speedrunning expert). My Geodude attempts to learn Selfdestruct…probably the worst ingame move you could have. Even SR would be better.

What the fuck were you doing in the ash?

I run into a Skarmory and I manage to catch it. He won’t come into play hugely against the fire gym, but he’ll do a fair share in most of my battles after that, including Norman.

Hulavuta sux

I make my way towards Meteor Falls (which quite frankly may be as far as I get before I fall asleep). The trainers on the way are annoying, including an Aron that only used Roar…with no hazards…just annoying. The Seismic Toss Machop proved to be a thorn in my side, but my team manages to dispose of these jokesters.

"I love you!" ... anyone...?

O_______________O

I walk into Meteor Falls and begin the battle with May. Wailmer + Skarmory vs. Koffing + Mightyena. The Koffing Selfdestructs, which all the mons tank. Mightyena falls to a Steel Wing after the boom. Numel comes out and tanks a Water Pulse from Wailmer, but Skarmory knocks it out with Air Cutter.

WIN with an unexpected visit from my lamp

And that’s all I can manage. I’m gonna end it at this cliffhanger because it’s time to sleep. Thank you all for reading, sorry about the short length. I’ll do some extra stuff this weekend, I promise. <3

deinosaur

Welcome to the fifth installment of:

Chapter 4: The Chronicles of Marill

I put down my phone and stopped playing Trivia Crack to get back to the goodness that is the Omega Red Gauntlet. I think I’ll be taking on the fourth gym and possibly doing some exploring beyond that.

They really renovated the place since RSE

I trek up to the Cable Car and take it to the top of Mt. Chimney. Honestly I totally forgot that I had to go fight off Team Magma, but that’s where I’m headed now!

I don't know what...what...?

"I'm sorry, if you come up with an adjective, text me!" /end Big Bang Theory quote

I get to face Admin Tabitha, which I’m almost 1000% sure is a woman’s name. His Koffing just explodes in the face of my Skarmory and leaves me with plenty of health. I toss out a potion and switch to Geodude for his Numel. He burns me right off the bat with a Lava Plume. He barely escapes with his life, and I have no way to heal him. Hopefully Hula can take on the leader.

Bitch I'm the valedictorian moTHERFUCKER (this is true, for all those who think i'm actually dumb)

It’s time to fight Maxie (the huge nerd), and I’m ready.

Nice glasses, poindexter

His Mightyena uses Swagger, which puts me at a bit of an advantage now. Then he roars. Nevermind.

Oh no

DHR comes out and my only chance is to get lucky. NOPE. He faints my Treecko. That’s the third time, and I can’t use him anymore due to the challenge. Skarmory comes back in and finishes the job.

No no no no no

In comes Camerupt, and with my burnt Geodude, I’m not sure I’ll be able to take him. He knocks out Geodude and Skarmory with no trouble. Geodude can’t be used anymore and that’s the first faint for Skarmory.

There’s gonna be almost no way for me to beat this Camerupt.

CUT TO 6 HOURS LATER

Cue the bonus trainer! Still in the game and chilling next to Manectite

After a few hours of taking a break and a couple hours of grinding, I get back to Mt. Chimney.

I face Maxie again, with my new Marill at level 24 named Kadew. My luck continues to be horrible as Swagger and Confuse Ray attempt to wreck my chances of winning. Eventually I am able to beat Mightyena, and Camerupt goes down to an Aqua Tail. Golbat survives 4 turns of confusion against my Skarmory, but I finally win.

HA
HAHAHA
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAA

After another long walk down the mountain, we finally make it to Lavaridge.

fucking finally...i started this 9 hours ago

Generally what I look like compared to girls...and why I play pokemon

Marill rolls through the gym trainers, and it’s time to take on Flannery. She yells at the top of her lungs at me, demoralizes me, and then we finally begin.

Another short joke, eh? It is ON !

Marill misses the Aqua Tail against Slugma, so it gets up Sunny Day. Flame Body also burns me (obviously). I manage to take the Numel, but the Torkoal knocks out Marill. Skarmory luckily moves in and takes the KO with Air Slash. I win.

4/8

Thank you all for reading. Sorry that this has taken so long, but we all know it's the Christmas season so we're all busy. I happened to get wrecked extra hard by this part, but I think it turned into a decent read. Please let me know how you like the run, it's really nice to hear from fans. I reply to everyone via message if you post here or message me, so feel free to comment! Thank you !

~DEINO

Good stuff Deino, making me long for the days I used to write up Scramble updates in a similar format (minus pictures) myself way back when. Maybe I'll make my own thread of this sort soon :P.

Damn, you got a nasty combination of Gauntlet challenges for this one, I'm surprised you're doing as well as you are. I guess you should probably stock up on a few back-up Pokemon in case your current ones get knocked out :P. In any case, I'm betting single stage stuff like Skarmory are going to be your saving grace in this! Also evolved Pokemon you can catch later in the game...

deinosaur

Another installment of:

Chapter Five: The Shortest Chapter You've Ever Read
So this one is really short, I'm not gonna lie. Here we go!

I move into the desert finally just to explore. I meet my first trainer and somehow a Sandslash just tanks a Huge Power Aqua Tail from Marill with about 60% HP. That’s pretty bulky.

Go Go Goggles, Go Go Goggles, Go Go Goggles, GO!

I’m riding around trying to find anything that will help me against Norman, but I’m not finding much. Every time I find a Sandslash, I can’t even hit it because of Sand Veil. 6 turns in a row. I’m a lucky boy!

I’m leaving the desert because I hate my life and I have to find something to take on Norman. I’m kind of just hoping that Marill can handle his Gym trainers, but I don’t have a lot of faith.

Petalburg!

I buy a few X items and head to Petalburg to take on my dad.

The rule here is that I can’t use any Pokemon against the Gym trainers that I will use against the Gym leader. So I have to make it through the Gym trainers with Marill and use Skarmory against Norman.

I manage to take down the Delcatty in the Speed Room with Marill pretty easily, but then next comes the Zero Reduction Room.

Guard Spec? Really?

Linoone pops out and makes sure that I can’t lower any of his stats. I miss a Play Rough (I can miss Play Rough?) and Linoone is giving me a ton of trouble. I finally wipe him with an Aqua Tail.

Zangoose hits HARD

Against Zangoose, I use 3 X Defenses and am finally able to 3HKO it with Play Rough. Onto the Gym Leader!

What are you doing?

Time to face my dad... :)

I can finally use Skarmory against Norman and I am very excited. Slaking Encores me into Rock Smash, but I’m not too worried. Defense drops really save me here.

Gross stop scratching yourself

The Vigoroth Encores me again, and I can 3HKO it with Rock Smash.

QUIT ENCORING

F UUUUU

The last Slaking isn’t a whole lot of trouble for Skarm. One Defense drop from Rock Smash allows Steel Wing to 3HKO and I win.

5/8

Sorry again for such a short update. The next one will be especially long as I try and figure out how the HELL I'm going to beat Winona. Stay tuned. :)

Last edited:

deinosaur

This will be updated sometime this week. I was out of the state all week last week and this week is exams. I'll get this updated for you guys, don't you worry. :3

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
You did grab the Root Fossil right? Because Cradily is awesome and you can name it after me when you resurrect it.

deinosaur

So after almost exactly a two week hiatus, long enough for everyone to forget that this existed, I have finally updated this. I’ve been really busy with school and I’m starting to get back into HTML for the three webzines we have on Smogon, but I’ll do my best to keep the updates somewhat more regular than this (even if it means shortening the updates). Without further ado,

Chapter Six: How the Fuck Will I Beat Winona

I open my DS to a depressing sight: I’m only at Mauville. An even more depressing thought creeps into my head. How the actual fuck am I going to beat Winona with a freshly caught Pokemon…no TMs, HMs, or EXP?

Oh thank you

Well, first things first. I teach Surf to one of my extra Marills and we carry on to the next route. I walk over to battle the Interviewers, 100% forgetting that they have a Magneton.

That could have been worse...

He gets wiped by double attacking and the Loudred falls just as easily. Thank goodness.

I love that they let me say whatever in my interview :)

I meet up with Steven and his good friend Latias (one of my favorite Pokemon of all time, if you were curious).

Hyaahh!

Latias takes us to the secret island, where we meet up with Latios and Team Magma. It’s time for a double battle with Steven!

Super easy hehe

Koffing gets wiped by a Zen Headbutt from Metang and Camerupt falls just as easily to an Aqua Tail. Why was that so much easier than the Camerupt a few parts ago??

DON'T REMIND ME

Latios joins my team, and I am going to keep him from battling or gaining any experience. I think he’s my best chance to beat Winona (because god dammit I’m not going to go catch Accupressure Tentacools)

Yesssss hehe

I name it after Goddess Briyella :) because she’s pretty awesome <3
The IVs are perfect in everything except SpA and Spe. Go figure.

<+Briyella|busy> it's because my chromosomes are incorrect

That'll go to good use!

I somehow almost get stalled to death by a Pelipper, but we’re through and we’re safe.

Hide and seek!

I ride through the pouring rain, eliminating some trainers on my way to the Weather Institute.

I could have sworn there were more Wingulls in here

After a quick nap, I take on some pesky Team Magma members on my way to the top of the Institute. Play Rough from Marill is proving to be much better than I previously imagined. :)

Where did they get the funding for this??

I get to face Admin Tabitha again (still a girl’s name) at the top. He sends out Camerupt and Marill makes quick work of him with an Aqua Tail. I say quick work, but he did like 60% with a Lava Plume…

That's not a word, Tabitha. :/

I beat Tabitha and receive my buddy the Castform. PSA: Limi sucks

f u limi

When I leave the Institute, I’m attacked by my rival. It’s time to throw down against May.

Marill vs. May's Wailmer

I don’t know why Skarmory is so goddamn useless so often in this game. Marill takes down the Wailmer while Skarm just sits in the back of the team and watches. Skarmory must have heard me, because he wipes her Shroomish pretty easily (I can hear Kadew crying from here). Marill easily takes down Combusken and we finally move into Fortree City.

I immediately leave, of course, to chill with Steven and wreck this invisible Kecleon. Rock Smash and Fly from Skarmory mark the end of the Kecleon and it’s finally time for probably the toughest gym battle thus far: Winona.

Its a bit like Google Glass, hard to tell when you're wearing them
The gym itself is fairly uneventful, as it was in the original. With good movement, there are no required battles. :) Time for Winona. I have to solo her with a Latios that has no TMs, HMs, or EXP.

What are you doing?

Two Dragonbreaths makes for an easy KO of Swellow. Next up is Altaria.

Dragonbreath is almost enough to KO it, but thankfully it uses Cotton Guard. Two down.

Luster Purge is enough to break through Skarmory with a couple lucky Special Defense drops.

Luster Purge earns a convincing 2HKO on Pelipper and I win.

6/8

I get the ability to fly and I get roost for Skarm / Latios

Thank you all for reading! Sorry that this took so long to update, but I hope it was worth the wait. See you guys in a few days with the next update! I love you guys!

~Deino

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Great as always Deino! I love how you used Latios, technically a freshly caught Pokemon that was untouched before the battle. I was thinking you should do the same exact thing as I was reading, nice loophole ;)

I'm pretty sure I was the first to suggest that you use Latios, though I could be remembering wrong. Glad you took my advice if it was me, took what would've been an incredibly difficult challenge and rendered it nearly trivial! That's what Gauntlets are all about; problem solving!

He's another tip, you can catch Linoone on that route with the Weather Institute, and while Linoone might not be the best Pokemon ever, it being evolved still puts it ahead of most of your other options. I suggest you pick one up; if nothing else, it might have Pickup to supply you with some goodies. See if you can get your hands on an Absol and Tropious too, those should be solid mons for you to use. Hell, even Kecleon probably isn't too bad, and if you take the time to dex search a lot you might even get one with Protean. You've finally hit the part of the game where some decent Pokemon are available to you, so you should take advantage of it!

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm calling it now, Deino spent the two weeks he was 'busy' soft resetting Latios and it's actually flawless. How else could he have beaten Winona so easily? o_0
Magic. Or maybe sheer dumb luck.

Anyways, you still need to name something after me, because I am clearly the most awesome Darkrai in a cloak holding a sword you'll ever find on this subforum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)