The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

Also something I've been thinking, remember when Roku told Aang that the Avatar state gives him the power and experience of all the past Avatars...well with Raava being destroyed and reborn again and Korra having access to...well, no past Avatar anymore does that make her weaker or something?
Uhh, clearly. I believe this was thoroughly discussed after season 2, and even during season 2 when it happened. Prior to Korra's season 2, going into the "Avatar State" gave the Avatar not only the power of Raava, but also the power of every single one of your past lives; meaning, Korra used to have the power of around 100 Avatars.

I am also not ready for this finale, Jebus McAzn. I will miss Korra dearly!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
if I had watched the show as it progressed (as opposed to marathoning it almost entirely in the last three days) I would probably be going into deep mourning right now

that said I may still be crying myself to sleep

no more episodes :,(

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
FUCKING
KORRASAMI
CONFIRMED CANON
IDK about you, but I will die a lucky man if I can ever find a woman will would "always follow me into battle, no matter how crazy".

On a different note, for a series that was supposedly ending, this finale introduced a ton of new shit. Like, the entirety of book 3 was driven by the opening of a spirit portal, now we have another that's not in the middle of nowhere (like where maybe an unscrupulous 5th season villain could enact some terrible plot)

Just going down the line nitpick style (I critique things that I care about, don't take this as insult)

• The way Varrick's colloquiums were used in his proposal was really cool
  • Mako and Hiroshi's gambits were both done really well.
  • Nearly every protagonist/antagonist survived a 20 story drop when Mako blew up the mech suit.
  • I'm not a fan of Kuvira's development, I'd of much rather they put emphasis on how much pain giving up Baatar Jr. was/not cop out and have her reform (remember the whole enslaving everyone who isn't ethnically corre an Earth Empire citizen, that kind of conflicts with not wanting anyone to suffer the same way she did).
  • Kuvira versus Korra was never really definitely settled, I would have liked to see the final fight in the spirit world, with the addendum that absorbing the blast temporarily rendered Korra un-Avatar State-able.
  • Mako firejumped up to the mech's knee, a feat that we've only seen done in the past by Sozin's Comet Ozai and Avatar State Korra)?
  • Kuvira fought Korra almost exclusively with what I assume were meteorites, something that, although cool, was a random departure from her weaponized uniform.

Also, where do we go from here?

A lot of changes that could factor into a future season/show were given last minute, and the writers are no longer contractually obliged to viacom. maybe they wrote this ending such that they could do something if another mega-corportation agreed to fund a third series

Last edited:
dat korrasami ship tho lfgi

Also, where do we go from here?

A lot of changes that could factor into a future season/show were given last minute, and the writers are no longer contractually obliged to viacom. maybe they wrote this ending such that they could do something if another mega-corportation agreed to fund a third series
"there's still so much i want to do" - korra, AKA bryke talking to us ;;;;;((((

I want Netflix to fund a Legend of Wan. That'd be boss as fuck.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Holy shit that ending though. I honestly didn't think they would do it but they did and I could not be happier. I haven't liked Mako as much as I do right now in a long, long time. He really showed a lot of character development in this episode (going from the somewhat stuck up brooding athlete to a guy who is willing to sacrifice everything for the good of the city). I just loved everything about him here.

Does anyone know if there are plans to have Korra comics similar to those for TLA?

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Going to watch this right now. Losing Korra and Colbert within a few hours of each other is probably not good for my emotional wellbeing, but oh well.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm just glad Tahno finally made an appearance again. Playing the Trombone too even, lol that cameo was worth not seeing him for 3 seasons.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Oglemi> i'm just so fucking shocked
<Oglemi> i was expecting you know the mako and bolin tag along
<Oglemi> at the very end
<Oglemi> but HOLY MAN
<Oglemi> DID THEY THROW A WRENCH IN THAT ONE

Interesting point made on Reddit - part of why Sozin's Comet was so satisfying is because we got to see Aang really let loose after being a pacifist for the entire show. Knowing how averse he is to direct confrontation made it that much more satisfying to see him absolutely crush Ozai, who was basically pure evil.

On the other hand, Korra is hot-headed and constantly looking for a fight back during Book 1, but the fight with Zaheer changed her. In terms of actual fighting, this led to a rather anti-climactic ending - but part of why Korra doesn't keep fighting is because she realizes that Kuvira's not like Ozai, she's more two-dimensional than that.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Solid finale. Some common tropes that are common because they work, but a few nice twists in the plot too. The bending was super creative and enjoyable to watch.

Reading the posts here, you'd think they made out or something. I know Korrasami is heavily implied, but I for one would have rather seen something more direct. Stupid kids that the network was trying to "protect" from the evil homos or whatever.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Solid finale. Some common tropes that are common because they work, but a few nice twists in the plot too. The bending was super creative and enjoyable to watch.

Reading the posts here, you'd think they made out or something. I know Korrasami is heavily implied, but I for one would have rather seen something more direct. Stupid kids that the network was trying to "protect" from the evil homos or whatever.
I'm actually happier it was implied than it was splayed out, makes it seem more natural in a way

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fantastic finale, I'm really glad they ended it with Korra showing how much development she has undergone by taking the more pacifistic route, despite her not really being the main focus this season outside of Korra Alone. I really wish Nickelodeon hadn't forced them to make a retelling episode, having an extra episode probably would have made a lot of things go much smoother and less sudden, particularly Kuvira's development.

So sad it's all over now though, and oml the Korrasami is real.

I remember these feels from after the first series of avatar finished... no more avatar ;-;
I need a hug...

Seriously though, that finale was soo much better than I expected it to be!

Meh, I preferred season 3 and to be honest I thought the giant mecha tank + spirit weapon was kinda silly.

Also I'm not a fan of the ending, no real build up for Korrasami and I don't really like how it seems that they end up together. I like Korra just as a friend to the whole team avatar (in fact the Korra love stories in general were pretty bad imo). I was also upset they didn't have any Bolin-Korra or Bolin-Opal scenes at the end.

Overall though very enjoyable series and I'm sad that it ended (although not as sad as ATLA).

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I could cobble up a few glances of characters looking at tables but that doesn't mean they are going to marry furniture.

Korrasami's biggest flaw, and really LoK's biggest flaw as a whole was that it was really only 1 season to start, there was no plan for what comes after. Watching s1 alone you would have never guessed that pairing unless you have a big thing for girl x girl ships. From the get go Mako was the planned love interest, him being a good one is up for debate but he was the guy. It always felt to me their break up was a way to appease the fanbloggers, who don't always have the right idea on how to do things. This is especially obvious in season 2:

You don't like Makkorra?: Fine we'll have them break up, and then let Mako dick around Asami some more
One location is boring? (no it isn't): Fine here is a lot of the Southern Water Tribe
Not spiritual enough?: Here all the spirit you can handle

When this series is allowed the time to set things up (seasons 3-4 and all of Last Airbender) it does so wonderfully. I'll admit Korrasami had it's moments in s3-4, they were good moments and not as obvious of course as Makorra in s1. I do think it's oddly appropriate that assuming Korra is going full lesbian neither she nor this series will have any future offspring. The creators are done, they gave their most vocal fans exactly what they wanted even if it was never their intention to do so. I would have admired them much more for sticking to their guns and stepping up the writing and reasoning in response.

The actual finale sans shipping however was everything I could have asked for, everyone had their moment in the sun. Team Airbenders did a heck of a job showing how much they've grown, Wu does the right thing despite showing he may not have been the absolute worst leader. He fixes the independent state issue. Mako and Bolin have such a great engine room scene, Bolin not agreeing but accepting what must be done was something LoK could pull off that the Gaang wouldn't be able to do. Korra delivers in the end a great transformation into a capable Avatar. Ten minutes in I was shaking, this show may not be perfect but considering how dicked around the Avatar series was it's the best we could have gotten.

EDIT: Yea Faint I'm aware which is why I say 3-4 was good stuff, and it would have been nice to see more of that support.

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is it just me, or did Varrick's proposal sound like something out of Fire Emblem? Also great fucking finale, glad to see this show ending on a high note after all the ups and downs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)