XY OU Age of the Sceptile (Mega Sceptile Team, peaked 1575)

Thumbs up if Sceptile is your favorite grass starter!!

• Thumbs up! :D

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Thumbs down...you scumbag >:(

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
Hello everyone, The Grim Garchomp here to give you another OU RMT! Seeing the success of my newly-made Mega Gallade team (from my earlier RMT) the problem I saw was that my team was too slow. I needed priority, and a speed demon. I didnt want to spoil my new Mega Gallade team by adding speed demons and screwing the synergy up, so I decided to make a team from scratch using the first speed demon ORAS mega that came to my mind: Our favorite grass-type starter with the tail of legends, Mega Sceptile(honestly I am not very sure how Sceptile can move so quick with that skyscraper of a tail he's got :P). So without further ado, I present to you, Mega Sceptile and his squad!!

General (Sceptile-Mega) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake

Leading the gang is my special sweeper, nuke, and mega, General the Sceptile!! This thing is an absolute beast, with it's crazy high special attack destroying pretty much everything and doing so with lightning-fast precision with his godly speed. The ability Lightningrod lets me be a douche to Thunder Waves and Volt Switches and Discharges that might come and threaten my team. The EVs and nature give Sceptile the extra oomph to do his job the best he can: Strike fast and hard, destroying all who gets in the way. The moveset is pretty simple, with Giga Drain and Dragon Pulse being my STABs and destroying all who resist my last 2 attacks, Giga Drain also being my recovery move in case of emergency, HP Fire is for Skarmory mostly, and does wonders against Scizor and Ferrothorn, and Focus Blast is for the other steel types like a wounded Heatran. With a +1 Special Attack boost from Lightning Rod, General pretty much guarantees the OHKO on many pokemon, and he takes no prisoners. Changed General's moveset and EVs to deal with Heatran better. Also changed for more power.

Megatron (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt

Just like the devious Decepticon he is named after, Megatron the Heatran is my lead and my special wall, tanking attacks and hitting right back like the Transformer. This is your standard Heatran, with Leftovers as a recovery and the EVs and nature maximizing Heatran's special bulk. The moveset is also very simple, with Stealth Rock being the hazard used on my team to destroy Talonflame, one of the threats to General. The other threat is Ice Shard, which Megatron doesnt give a shit about. Going back to the subject of the moveset tho, Lava Plume is Megatron's chosen STAB attack, with the high 30% burn chance too hard to pass up, as that could guarantee my win by burning an important physical attacker of the opponent. If the burn happens to fail, Megatron also has Toxic to poison the enemy, which quickly finishes the enemy in a few turns. As the final move, to prevent setup sweepers like the aforementioned Talonflame and Volcarona, I have chosen Roar to phase them out and damage them continuously with the Stealth Rocks. As the supporter of this team, Megatron dishes out pain well in smart tactics that could guarantee the opponent's downfall. Changed Roar to Taunt to break down stall.

Pingo (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Replacing Turdtar is my beloved drill pokemon of death Pingo, my scarfer, physical sweeper, and game changer, as this guy has saved me more times than I can count. Mold Breaker allows me to hit EVERYTHING not being a flying-type pokemon with an powerhouse of an Earthquake, usually 2HKOing the enemy. The EVs and nature help Excadrill race around the majority of the OU metagame, destroying all who try to come near. The moveset is also very simple, with Earthquake obviously being my STAB, Rock Slide to hit the flying types that trouble Pingo, Iron Head to hit fairies (should my other fairykillers ever die) and Rapid Spin to clear my field of hazards. Nothing much is needed to say about this bad boy, but actions do the talking for Pingo. Try going up against him and you are most likely going to pay a visit to the hospital.

Santa (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

To be my priority abuser and supernuke is Santa the Scizor!! With a Choice Band and Technician, Santa's Bullet Punches are usually OHKOs against the rocks and the fairies, while it 2HKOs everything else. To celebrate the nearing Christmas, I brought dear old Santa here to be the fairy destroyer, which counters General. The EVs and nature strengthen his bulk, and bring his attack so high you would swear I was hacking. The moveset is the normal Banded set, with U-Turn to have momentum and STAB, Bullet Punch to be the priority move to be abused, Knock Off to screw with scarfers and Chansey or any other Eviolite users like the rare Porygon2, and Superpower to destroy opposing steels. Just like a megaton warhead, Santa has the raw power to decimate his foes, and wipe them completely from the face of the earth. Watch your back...

Buu (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

To replace AimBot the Rotom-W is my special tank, sweeper, stallbreaker, and Sableye/Gallade counter, Buu the Clefable!! This is your classic Magic Guard CM set, and it does not disappoint. The Lefties give me recovery, and Magic Guard doesnt give a crap about the stall you throw at it, with Toxic and Will-o-Wisp/hazards all going to waste. The nature and EVs give Buu the extra bulk it needed, with enough Defense EVs to avoid a 2HKO with LO Latio's Psyshocks, and enough SpDef EVs to avoid a 2HKO from LO Greninja's Hydro Pump, LO Thundurus' Thunderbolt, and LO Kyurem-B's Ice Beam, making Buu a nice check against them. The moveset is also pretty simple. with Calm Mind making Buu the stallbreaker it was to be, Moonblast and Flamethrower being the nukes, and Soft-Boiled to make Buu last. Behind that cute appearance lies a creature so terrible, it will rip you apart before you can say: I forfeit!

Clinch (Talonflame) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

As the final member of the team, we have my wallbreaker, physical sweeper, and Keldeo counter, here's Clinch the Talonflame!! Living up to it's nickname, Clinch was usually the one who bailed me out of tight spots, by destroying the entire opposition when his back was against the corner. The Sharp Beak may be an unusual item, but it is needed to give Clinch the extra steroids needed to be powerful enough to OHKO/2HKO most of the OU tier. While Life Orb gives you more power, the recoil I get from Flare Blitz is too high, and will easily kill Clinch, turning Clinch into fodder. The EVs and nature are standard, just to allow Talonflame deal as much damage as possible, while defeating the enemy before they could counterattack. The moveset is also very simple, with Swords Dance giving me more power to sweep (allows Brave Bird to OHKO Thundurus after 1 Swords Dance), Brave Bird and Flare Blitz the obvious STAB to wreck havoc, and Roost for a priority recovery move. I needed an impressive wallbreaker that could keep me out of tight spots, and after searching, Clinch did not disappoint.

Well, that's the team!! Now I'll cover the threats to this team.

1. Stall (As you may have noticed, I have no taunters or wallbreakers, making stall a hard battle for me. However, Heatran usually handles fine, taking all the Toxics and Will-o-Wisps. If he's alive, I usually succeed, but not after I bore myself to near death stalling the stallers. Any suggestions for a wallbreaker?)
  2. Mamoswine (This isnt really a very troubling threat, but Mamoswine can Ice Shard General, EQ Megatron and Turdtar, and Icicle Crash Tesla. AimBot and Santa handle really well against it, but if they die, I die.)

That's all folks! Until next RMT, this is The Grim Garchomp, signing out.

Importapoop:

General (Sceptile-Mega) (M) @ Sceptilite
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt

Pingo (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Santa (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Buu (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Clinch (Talonflame) @ Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
Hi! This is a cool second RMT, and I like that you have a Fire/Grass/Water core. I may be a little off since I am sick, but please bear with me and my mind.

I like Mega Sceptile, and it's not too bad in OU. I do feel that it is fine in the current tier it is in (RU) since it isn't populated with Talonflame. But let's get to the rate!

First of all, I would change Tyranitar to an Excadrill set since you're not running Sand or the Dragon Dance/Bulky set.
Instead try this.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab
- Iron Head

I usually prefer Poison Jab > Rapid Spin since being locked into a scarf isn't good. And, you already have a defogger.
You have a rather big weakness to Keldeo with Icy Wind. Especially if it's scarfed. Here are some calcs.

252 SpA Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sceptile: 276-328 (97.8 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
And that's with a scarfed set.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sceptile: 408-484 (144.6 - 171.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
That's not good. You say you didn't have priority in your last team. Well, you don't in this one either. I would replace Zapdos or Heatran with Talonflame so you can deal with Keldeo and have Priority. You have 3 walls (Rotom-Wash, Heatran, Zapdos) and really only two are needed to a team. Here is a set you could use for Talonflame.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Swords Dance

252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 372-440 (115.1 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Good luck with that.
Other than those recommendations, this team looks good!
Hope it helps. ^^

Hi! This is a cool second RMT, and I like that you have a Fire/Grass/Water core. I may be a little off since I am sick, but please bear with me and my mind.

I like Mega Sceptile, and it's not too bad in OU. I do feel that it is fine in the current tier it is in (RU) since it isn't populated with Talonflame. But let's get to the rate!

First of all, I would change Tyranitar to an Excadrill set since you're not running Sand or the Dragon Dance/Bulky set.
Instead try this.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab
- Iron Head

I usually prefer Poison Jab > Rapid Spin since being locked into a scarf isn't good. And, you already have a defogger.
You have a rather big weakness to Keldeo with Icy Wind. Especially if it's scarfed. Here are some calcs.

252 SpA Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sceptile: 276-328 (97.8 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
And that's with a scarfed set.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sceptile: 408-484 (144.6 - 171.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
That's not good. You say you didn't have priority in your last team. Well, you don't in this one either. I would replace Zapdos or Heatran with Talonflame so you can deal with Keldeo and have Priority. You have 3 walls (Rotom-Wash, Heatran, Zapdos) and really only two are needed to a team. Here is a set you could use for Talonflame.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Swords Dance

252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 372-440 (115.1 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Good luck with that.
Other than those recommendations, this team looks good!
Hope it helps. ^^
Thanks Sparkl3y, and I have decided to put in Excadrill over Tyranitar, but I am a bit doubtful of Talonflame. This makes me lose my hazards, and the Stealth Rocks eats up Talonflame anyways. Also I do have priority in the form of Bullet Punch, js <3. I will put in Talonflame over Heatran for now, and will change my RMT if this helps.

Also, to correct your statement about there being 3 walls, it's actually 2 walls (Heatran and Zapdos) and a tank (Rotom-W). Zapdos COULD be considered to be a tank, but it's only in the battle usually to defog, so eh.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This team looks decent, but it does have some pretty glaring flaws you need to fix. As you said, you desperately need some way to break past defensive teams in general. One thing which would help you do this is running Taunt on Heatran over Roar. This lets you put pressure on walls, particularly Chansey, with the help of Toxic. I don't think this is really enough though, but it's at least a start. also, this lets you actually reliably beat Clefable and MVenu 1v1 instead of just phazing them out.

As for specific things you're weak to : You have absolutely nothing for Mega-Sableye, if it gets a Calm Mind up it straight-up wins period, and you litreally cannot stop it from doing this. Heatran also looks very scary, it counters a good portion of your team and you don't have much that can take it on. TTar fears Lava Plume burn, and Rotom can easily get stalled by Toxic. You look pretty weak to Mega-Gallade, nothing takes a hit from it and you have a bunch of setup fodder for it on your team (Heatran, Ttar, Zapdos to some extent). You're also kinda weak to Keldeo particularly Scarf variants, that switch in on Heatran and TTar easily and your best switchin is Rotom who can get worn down easily. Terrakion could be scary, in fact, strong Fighting types are just a pain for your team overral. mega-Slowbro looks very annoying, if it runs a ResTalk set and gets a CM up you can't really beat it

Also, a couple of your team members don't seem that useful to me. Zapdos seems like the most disposable member of your team, it overlaps with Heatran, TTar, and especially Rotom-W in what it checks (it's strictly a birspam check, and well, so are these three). It does give you Defog support, however I don't think you need it, and you definitely need a Sableye counter more than you do hazard removal. You could also Rotom-W instead if you really want to keep Defog and a good answer to Mega-Lopunny but then you lose your only good answer to Sand Rush Exadrill, so you need to find a way to deal with that if you do so. I really don't think TTar is that good for your team either : it just makes you more fighting-weak you don't really need a Lati check or a birdspam check so it's not really important overall.

So, just to recap you have 2 slots to cover a handful of threats and beat stall, and there are a few different ways you could do this. You could run Tail Glow Manaphy and Clefable over TTar and Zapdos. Manaphy covers Heatran, Slowbro and Sableye in one slot, setting up over both of these. It is also a fearsome stallbreaker in general, it can even 2HKO Chansey in the rain if it gets all the way to +6. Clefable works as an universal answer to Fighting types, and also deals with Mega-Sableye (trust me, you can definitely afford to fit a couple more answers to that thing on your team). It does need Unaware to properly take on Gallade though You could actually run almost any bulky water+Clefable and have it work decently, I just suggested Manaphy because it wallbreaks, and you need a wallbreaker. Choice Specs Keldeo could actually be used instead of Manaphy if you want something with more immediate power. Another option would be running Nasty Plot Celebi alongside SD Talonflame over TTar and Rotom-W. Celebi has excellent synergy with Heatran, can nastypass to Sceptile, checks Sand Rush Excadrill and takes on most fighting types and MBro, though it can't reliably beat Gallade at all. Talonflame however checks it well, and is one of the best answers to Sableye there is. The problem with this is that it leaves you without a dedicated wallbreaker, but Celebi can Nastypass around so you can break through bulkier teams that way. You could also keep Rotom-W, sack and run Defog Latios or Latias, but you lose to MBro in the process. There are probbaly other ways of fixing these weaknesses so feel free to try out a few things

Finally, and this is just a small nitpick, but I would Earthquake and Leaf Storm over Focus Blast and Giga Drain on Sceptile. EQ enables you to beat Heatran much more reliably, and HP fire covers all other steel types anyway so Focus Blast is only hitting Heatran, and EQ just does this better, so you might as well run EQ. Leaf Storm gives you more power in general and helps a lot vs bulkier teams, specifically it 2HKO MSlowbro at +1 which as I said is a threat to this team, and lets you check stuff such as MGardevoir and MGyara better.

EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Rain Dance
- Energy Ball

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard / Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind / Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled / Wish / Moonlight
- Flamethrower / Protect / Heal Bell

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Flare Blitz

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost / Hidden Power [Fire] / Earthquake / Thunderbolt
- Defog

General (Sceptile-Mega) @ Sceptilite
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake

Hope this helps!

After seeing all the suggestions here are the changes to my team:

1. SD Talonflame over Zapdos.
2. Scarfed Excadrill over Scarfed Tyranitar. (Not Lando-T cos of Ice weakness, sharing with M-Sceptile, also Scarfdrill has saved me on multiple occasions)
3. To take down MegaBro, Leaf Storm over Giga Drain and Earthquake over Focus Blast(for Heatran).
4. To take down Mega Sableye, Clefable over Rotom-W.
5. On Heatran, Taunt over Roar(there was never a set-up sweeper I didnt counter anyways, :p).

Thanks all for rating!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)