Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

Updating again. I'll be around until I go pass my chosen mark at least.

100/3000: Magikarps. No shiny.
200/3000: Totodile. No shiny.
300/3000: Going to hatch shuppets once i finish with em. No shiny
400/3000: Mixed. No shiny
500/3000: Treecko. No shiny
600/3000: Treecko. No shiny
642/3000: Treecko. 1st shiny.

Holy fuck. I had written jockingly in my notes "this is going to hatch shiny before it hatchs female and with a perfect hp fire ffs" and it happened. Errm, time to keep going.

Another one.

100/3000: Magikarps. No shiny.
200/3000: Totodile. No shiny.
300/3000: Going to hatch shuppets once i finish with em. No shiny
400/3000: Mixed. No shiny
500/3000: Treecko. No shiny
600/3000: Treecko. No shiny
642/3000: Treecko. 1st shiny.
742/3000: Treecko. 2nd shiny.
744/3000: Treecko. 3rd shiny.

Wow.

I know I said I was done breeding in XY, but I was SRing in AS so I decided to breed in X instead. Naturally, while breeding Ralts for Gallade, I got a shiny female. Adamant with 0 in Attack. Oh well, I was just thinking of training a Gardevoir as a capture 'mon so all is not lost.

Total eggs hatched - 4710
Total number of shinies - 11

So does this mean that there is no change with the Shiny Charm? I'm not sure but if that's the case wouldn't it be ≈ 0.2% with just either MM or the Shiny Charm?
I honestly have no idea. I have yet to find any confirmation on the rate with the charm or even without it. Some people are speculating that the shiny rate has lowered even without the charm but ive seen no actual proof.

Haha, this is obviously way late but this will bother me for a long time. It doesn't matter when you stop, you don't have to hatch a thousand because the eggs don't have memory. If hatching a shiny is 1/1000 and you get it on your first try, hatching another on your next try is 1/1000. You can stop whenever you want.
This isn't actually true. Mathematically speaking, the tendency will actually overestimate shinies. That's because each person is stopping the sequence at the point where their frequency of shinies is the highest, relatively speaking (immediately after getting a shiny). For example, take this random number table: http://teorica.fis.ucm.es/ft8/tablern2.pdf If I want to find the odds of the string "23" appearing (I just made this up before looking in the table), but I just keep looking at consecutive pairs of two numbers until I stop, I see that it comes up in 62 pairs, so I estimate that the odds are 1 in 62. Obviously, those odds are better that would be expected. Some numbers will still give you odds that are "too low," but on average, you will consistently overestimate the odds using this method.

Maybe someone on here who knows more about math than I do can link to a page that explains the mathematical principle in a bit more detail.

I honestly have no idea. I have yet to find any confirmation on the rate with the charm or even without it. Some people are speculating that the shiny rate has lowered even without the charm but ive seen no actual proof.
But with all the data contributed here, we can at least assume the shiny rate with shiny charm, right?

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for the past 3 days whilst on my shiny charmander hunt, I'm in possession of a shiny charm in my X version and so far have hatched 222 eggs with 0 Shinies, using a JP Charizard and a Ditto exclusive to my White version. I'll continue to update as i go, hopefully I'll get to the 300 mark before i require sleep.

0/222

So I'm only 210 eggs into my Shiny Gardevoir project (note: on my girlfriend's game, as she has the Shiny Charm), when I decide to take a break, go back to my copy of X, and breed some pokes for a sandstorm team.

The Sigilyph I capture out of the safari zone that actually HAS wonder guard has Adamant, so I decided to breed for the nature I needed first. Five eggs into the Sigilyphs, I look at the sprites and say, "The shiny's okay, but not all that different from the regular."

Ten eggs into the Sigilyphs, out comes a shiny 31/x/x/31/31/x Mild. *sigh* I mean, yeah, it's not like Sigilyph's gonna win any rewards with its defense, and the nature COULD be worse, but stiiill....

By the way: First shiny hatched. Also in X, my first shiny caught, a Sliggoo.

Update
Eggs hatched: 31450
Shiny got: 59
Ratio: ~1/542
Lasted member: Ralts
A shiny female Ralts. Really fear it turn out male. The first Ralts i hatched is male and is a Gallade now. I played safe that time and chosen a Hasty nature so both are fine but this time i chose Timid so if it turn out male it really suck
Shiny Mega Gallade and shiny Mega Gardevior. They really look like a couple now
:heart:

Last edited:
Hi, I am pledging 1000 eevee eggs for a shiny eevee. I am at 600 right now without much luck. This is my third masuda method shiny charm run and my luck for the first two have been great.

My first two, I was very lucky I got 2 shiny pokemon very quickly from shiny charm masuda method
192/237 eggs 1 shiny 5iv modest ralts
188/250 eggs 1 shiny 6iv timid ghastly

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I've been lurking for the past 3 days whilst on my shiny charmander hunt, I'm in possession of a shiny charm in my X version and so far have hatched 222 eggs with 0 Shinies, using a JP Charizard and a Ditto exclusive to my White version. I'll continue to update as i go, hopefully I'll get to the 300 mark before i require sleep.

0/222
I'm up to 520 eggs and no sign of him yet :<

1/645 eggs :> hes pretty decent all round, although I'm not 100 sure on IV's as its only something I've just recently started to bother with. I'm over the moon!

Last edited:
Okay all 1000 eggs hatched and 1 shiny. I was still super happy though. The entire time I was hatching I was under a lot of stress because I was hoping to get the hidden ability anticipation. To my relief, I actually got a male with that ability and evolved him into sylveon. Yes, I would say it was a pain in the butt, but yeah....still worth it since the shiny was not adapdability or run away

PS gonna devote 500 more eggs on a shiny marril.

I'm back with an update!
Electrike: 5 eggs, 1 shiny (#4)
Onix: 1430 eggs, 2 shinies (#1424 | #1427)
Magnemite: 330 eggs, no shiny
Absol: 370 eggs, no shiny
Total: 2135 eggs, 3 shinies

So after I got that Electrike right away last time, my next target was Onix. I put in 800 eggs, nothing, I gave up. A few days ago, I came back to it and hatched another 600-ish eggs until finally, FINALLY I get a shiny Onix. I'm pissing myself with anticipation as I check its IVs, but turns out its Defense is 6. I slowly realize that I'll probably have to hatch several hundred more eggs. I get back into the hatching mindset, when lo and behold, on the very next batch (three Pokemon later, to be exact) I get another shiny Onix. I check its IVs, and... Six perfect IVs. Mother of God.

"Quake" the Onix (Male)
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA), Capable of taking hits
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Ability: Sturdy
Egg Moves: Heavy Slam, Stealth Rock

I'm back with an update!
Electrike: 5 eggs, 1 shiny (#4)
Onix: 1430 eggs, 2 shinies (#1424 | #1427)
Magnemite: 330 eggs, no shiny
Absol: 370 eggs, no shiny
Total: 2135 eggs, 3 shinies

So after I got that Electrike right away last time, my next target was Onix. I put in 800 eggs, nothing, I gave up. A few days ago, I came back to it and hatched another 600-ish eggs until finally, FINALLY I get a shiny Onix. I'm pissing myself with anticipation as I check its IVs, but turns out its Defense is 6. I slowly realize that I'll probably have to hatch several hundred more eggs. I get back into the hatching mindset, when lo and behold, on the very next batch (three Pokemon later, to be exact) I get another shiny Onix. I check its IVs, and... Six perfect IVs. Mother of God.

"Quake" the Onix (Male)
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA), Capable of taking hits
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Ability: Sturdy
Egg Moves: Heavy Slam, Stealth Rock
How nice. Shiny with six IV. I breed a lot of them and only got six 6iv. But that's still super lucky

Back with an update!!!^^
570 marill eggs and 0 shinies :(

This is rather frustrating to be honest....

Edit

600 Eggs 589th egg is SHINY

Last edited:
Anyone had a spare non-Eng Ditto for share? IV not really important but the more the better. I want to breed a few (mostly baby pokemon) to complete my Hoenn Dex to upgrade the Trainer Card. It's be nice if i lucky and got shiny through

300~ Ralts eggs: Shiny, female, Timid, x/x/31/31/31/31. Relatively Superior, too, so that means probably not a GREAT HP stat (it's battling with Attack for a mere 26 points), but hell, I'll take her.

Name: Maiwaifu.

Next project... I dunno. Dragonite? I do likes me a derpy green dragon...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)