Your first Pokemon game

What was your first Pokemon game?

• Total voters
A) what your first pokemon game was?
Red version.

B) is your first game also your favorite game?
it was until Sinnoh, specifically Platinum. The amount of legends you could catch on that game were ridiculous. I loved how much post-game content there was.

C) anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?
several. On my first ever play through, I thought Squirtle was badass as I stomped Brock and obtained my first-ever badge. Everything was going awesome... until I got through the ridiculously Zubat filled Mt. Moon and reached north of Ceruelean City and got curb stomped by all the Oddish (fuck you Absorb) in the Wild. This was long before I knew off type advantages and was so puzzled as to why a weed could continually defeat my turtle.

After I caught an Oddish myself and painfully grinded it up high enough to defeat Misty, I reached Lt. Surge and thought, alright surely the third badge won't be as hard as the second. Oh boy, was I wrong and did he ever murder Squirtle. Poor burnt Turtle.

Then I get to Erika... Try defeating her with a Graveler, Wartortle and a Gloom without wanting to smash your game boy into a million pieces.

A) what was your first game?
My parents got me a GBA and Ruby sometime in 2005-2006, it was probably Christmas but I don't remember.

B) was your first game also your favorite?
It was until I got LeafGreen, and then Ruby was my favorite again about five months later. This process repeated basically for every game since until White 2, which is my favorite (unless oras dethrones it, which is very likely)

C) anything funny you did when you got the first game and was new to the series?
My very first playthrough of Ruby, my character's name was Deon. I have absolutely no idea why I named him that. I got to Odale Town, deleted my save, and started over. I never did beat Ruby, now that I think about it.

Last edited:
First game I started was ruby, first one I finished was leaf green

Current favorite is OR because of a combination of nostalgia and cool new stuff

I don't remember doing anything particularly funny, but I did teach my mons only stab moves. Needless to say I did a lot of switching around for rival battles.

A) what was your first game?
Pokemon Fire Red, and i named my character... can you guess it? ash. I had a ds instead of a gameboy (2007) so i could not trade unless my friends let me lend their game boy advancedsss

B) was your first game also your favorite?
Meh, i spent 500 hours on my first save file, then discovered the sevii islands in 2010 or something... I have to admit that i liked emerald better. At this point i think i like XY the most, ORAS would take the victory if it had included the frontier... but it didnt :(

C) anything funny you did when you got the first game and was new to the series?
I chose squrtle, and when he finally evolved at route 2, i ran into my dad crying because i thought someone was stealing it... When i found out it had just evolved, i was the happiest little kid around ^^

Later, when i got through mt. moon, i did not want to jump over the ledge, as i thought i would be unable to return... i went back in mt. moon and trained. When one of my friends taught me how i could get cut, i had a lv. 43 blastoise, a gyarados, a graveller, a raticate, a nidoking, and a clefable, all around lv. 20-30. I still have my blastoise, and he is level 100 with an almost flawless 252 def 252 spe spread from all the zubats and geodudes it had defeated ^^

I am a gen 3 guy my first game was emerald but I never beat it because back then I really sucked then my dad sold it along with all my other gba games except the one that was in my gba to the pawn shop still a little pissed to this day. Later I got ruby and beat it and yes 3rd gen is my favorite game in the "main series" (emphasis on main series) and when I heard about ORAS coming out I puked rainbows (look up puking rainbows to see what I looked like). Plus back then I did not know what I shiny was so I found one in grass can't remember the Pokemon but I killed it yes I killed A shiny *hears angry yelling outside house* and that's all I have to say.

Last edited:
Sure I rented Red once, but Silver was the first game I ever bought with my own money.

I loved Silver, but Crystal was even better, while Soul Silver was a vast improvement over that as well (I get to catch the Legendary Birds AND Mewtwo! Game Freak, you rock!!

I'll always remember Cyndaquil as the first starter that I actually owned (the Charmander I got in the rental was only a rental as well), and so I have quite an affection for the evolutionary line. Then again, I think all of the Johto starters are great, and so cute in Amie!

I started playing Pokemon at 8 years old with Pokemon Blue version. Being the idiot that I was, I obliviously did infantile humor poopy stuff, like having my cousin suggest naming my character Butt and my Squirtle Buttox, and my Mewtwo Sexy. Funny thing is! I strangely remember encountering a Nidorino on Route 1 or something like that on my copy of Blue once... really, like when I was just starting the journey.

A) My first game was Pokemon Blue Version. My sister was involved in softball and I always got dragged along to clinics and games. So my folks got me a purple Gameboy Color and Blue Version at a Toys R Us in 1998.

B) This is really difficult. There are 3 main categories I'm going to evaluate this with: nostalgia, statement, and playability.
Nostalgia: Gold Version wins. The graphics and music really take me back to a simpler time; I even got the HGSS soundtrack on iTunes so I can listen to the older music! Having two regions was great as well. Other things such as the night/day cycle, the PokeGear, weekly events and Berries really diversified the experience from its predecessors.
Statement: Black Version takes this category. First off, it introduces an entire region's worth of new Pokemon and only those; this really evokes it's desire to start anew. The story is much more engaging as well, with Team Plasma and N introducing the idea that Trainers are bad for Pokemon. I also enjoy that the Gym Leaders are more engaged in this story than previous entries. New elements such as the Dream World, shaking grass, and infinite TM use differentiate these games. My conclusion is that Black and White Version are probably the boldest Pokemon games ever made.
Playability: Omega Ruby (and Alpha Sapphire) are the easiest games to play; not in terms of difficulty, but they are so convenient! The "shaking grass" concept is perfected with the ability to sneak up on Pokemon, and the rewards of this (hidden moves, improved IVs, etc.) are hugely beneficial. Breeding is easiest in this game too. Flying around on Lati@s is incredibly fun and a remarkable experience.
After all these considerations, I'd say Gold Version is my favorite Pokemon game, with Omega Ruby Version in second and Black Version in third. I only played Black Version once though, so I'll give it another shot soon!

C) I've been playing for 17 years, so it's hard for me to point out a single thing. One silly thing I've done is spend so much time trying to catch a Pikachu with a Light Ball in FireRed, but it doesn't begin carrying it until Emerald Version -.-

Oh my, I've been playing this game for 17 years. Where has the time gone?

A) What your first Pokemon game was?
Yellow.

B) Is your first game also your favourite game (if not, which one is?)
No. Gold is my fav, followed by Yellow, followed by Emerald.

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?
I wanted to name myself 'Ash' but I could barely spell properly, not to mention English isn't my native language. I eventually named myself 'EACH'.
Also, only ten years later I found out those 'lines' you can jump over are ledges. Lol.

A) What your first Pokemon game was? Pokemon Emerald. I remember playing it on my shiny Game Boy Micro, too bad I lost it :(

B) Is your first game also your favourite game (if not, which one is?) Yes, hell yes, I just didn't like the Battle Palace and it's Battle Tent mini-version. But I liked everything else about it <3

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series? Thinking that Combusken was Fire/Flying and attacking it with Rock-type attacks (my very first starter was Treecko, so I faced Combusken with my rival). Among many others, such as trying to swim without a Pokemon

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A) What your first Pokemon game was?
Sapphire

B) Is your first game also your favorite game (if not, which one is?)
Nope imo. I like the modern gens a lot more. I have played Diamond, Black, White, White 2, Y, and Alpha Sapphire to name a few. For one thing, I think Alpha Sapphire blows the original Pokemon Sapphire out of the water (heh, no jokes intended). I can't truly decide which is my favorite Pokemon game though. I love them all and I think all of them have their own great things about them. I do think the first three gens are pretty much pointless now because of HGSS and ORAS imo.

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?
I reset my game in a nutshell after my Torchic evolved when I found out evolution could never be reversed. I thought evolution wasn't a good thing lol for some reason. But I then realized Torchic's final form is BLAZIKEN so I let it evolve all the way eventually.

I also did a run with a Mudkip and solo'd the whole game with a Swampert. Nowadays I just use teams of six.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
A) What was your first Pokemon game?
Either Pokemon Black or White, I'm not sure. :P

Naw. Black/White is my least favorite. My favorite is Omega Ruby (cuz trumpets).

I remember in that place with all the quicksand I couldn't get past the quicksand becasue I needed to walk, not run. Since holding B became a habit, I spent 3 hours of playtime on that area. :I
And, although it wasn't me who didn't, my brother got hold of my game and released all of my Pokemon in my party (third of them were legends), spent all of my money on balls and used them to catch 5 boxes of Patrat. He is still gone today.
Since I didn't know how to delete profiles, I got a new one instead and threw the old one away. :P

lol 69th post

Either Pokemon Black or White, I'm not sure. :P

Naw. Black/White is my least favorite. My favorite is Omega Ruby (cuz trumpets).

I remember in that place with all the quicksand I couldn't get past the quicksand becasue I needed to walk, not run. Since holding B became a habit, I spent 3 hours of playtime on that area. :I
And, although it wasn't me who didn't, my brother got hold of my game and released all of my Pokemon in my party (third of them were legends), spent all of my money on balls and used them to catch 5 boxes of Patrat. He is still gone today.
Since I didn't know how to delete profiles, I got a new one instead and threw the old one away. :P
lol 69th post
I found BW extremely poor. You said it is your least favorite; what didn't you like about it?

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I found BW extremely poor. You said it is your least favorite; what didn't you like about it?
I thought Team Plasma had an odd goal to release all Pokemon (or something like that) compared to the other evil teams' goals like expanding the land and sea. I also didn't like the fact that you were limited to only Gen. 5 Pokemon until the postgame. And the storyline was boring and poor in my opinion to be honest.

Skyla was cut tho

I thought Team Plasma had an odd goal to release all Pokemon (or something like that) compared to the other evil teams' goals like expanding the land and sea. I also didn't like the fact that you were limited to only Gen. 5 Pokemon until the postgame. And the storyline was boring and poor in my opinion to be honest.

Skyla was cut tho
The reason I dislike it is because in my opinion generation 5 released the ugliest Pokémon. Also, the game looks really ugly in general compared to all the other Pokémon games. Have you ever played RBY/GSC/RSE/DPPt?

Astra

talk to me nice
The reason I dislike it is because in my opinion generation 5 released the ugliest Pokémon. Also, the game looks really ugly in general compared to all the other Pokémon games. Have you ever played RBY/GSC/RSE/DPPt?
I've played a ROM of Emerald to prepare for ORAS. I haven't played it since 1 hour after downloading it. :P

I've played a ROM of Emerald to prepare for ORAS. I haven't played it since 1 hour after downloading it. :P
How did you enjoy it? Was it annoying to 'downgrade' in graphics and overall utility? And you've never played RBY/GSC? I recommend trying them out, I freaking love them.

Astra

talk to me nice
How did you enjoy it? Was it annoying to 'downgrade' in graphics and overall utility? And you've never played RBY/GSC? I recommend trying them out, I freaking love them.
Kind of, yeah. Although I like how in ROMs you can speed things up. And maybe I will try RBY/GSC one day.

My first game was blue.

My favorite was silver and soulsilver cuz lugia was a badass.

On my first playthrough of blue i had just caught a diglett and talked to the day care guy for the first time. Since i was 5 i had no idea what a day care was so when he took my diglett i freaked out and left so he wouldnt take anymore of my pokemon. I came back after a couple hundred hours of playing to find i had a level 80 something diglett waiting for me.

1. First Game?
I guess Pokémon Ruby. If you don't count emulated then I guess Fire Red. If you don't count re-writable cartridge then I guess Sapphire.

2. Favourite Game?
Favourite game would have to fall into 3rd Gen. Anything after 4th is too flashy for me, and 3 > 4 because of childhood and also it's completely true mathematically speaking.

Ruby would not be my favourite game. Ruby and Sapphire I would consider to be way too easy to beat and also kind of short. Besides having a load of cool features, I still feel like there is nothing too interesting to do. Also the text is ugly.
I would have to say that Fire Red is my favourite game even though there's not too much to do either. It's the game I probably have the most experience with. They introduced the Item icons which I thought was cool.
Emerald had Battle Frontier which was nice but overall I still felt that the game was not difficult.

Leaf Green just Fire Red clone.

3. Anything funny?
I remember just not reading in-game text and constantly using earthquake on Tate & Liza. This also lead to me looking for the HM for Surf all over Hoenn when it was right beside the gym...

Uh but a real stupid thing I actually did was just giving up hope on that Route above Slateport with the cycling road over it. For some reason I thought that you couldn't go under the cycling road. I didn't even try going under the bridge, I just assumed that it was not passable. I kind of just sat there until I asked a friend what I was supposed to do.

I started with Sapphire.
B) Is your first game also your favorite game (if not, which one is?)
My favorite is Emerald obviously because of pokemon contests and the Battle Frontier.
I had chosen Torchic as a starter and after hours,i sacked Combusken's double kick for sand attack...thank god i had saved the game just a moment ago...

Last edited:
My first game was a Japanese Pokemon Yellow. Thoroughly enjoyed playing it and figured for the most part how to play through the game wo knowing a lick of japanese at the time. I wouldn't say its my absolute favorite game that spot is reserved for HGSS and White 2, particularly for bringing the Pokemon World Tournament. I suppose my many failed attepts to getting Missingno and releasing Pikachu countless times trying to figure what the PC does

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
First ever game was HeartGold. I was terrible. Took me half an hour to get into Elm's lab, and that was by accident. I didn't know it was possible to take your starter off the front of your party, so I soloed it with Typhlosion. Good times.

1) My first Pokémon game was Pokémon Diamond, which wasn't even on a proper cartridge. It was on one of those DS cards that you could fit multiple games on. I couldn't believe it when I found out the truth.

Me: 'Wait, Pokémon Diamond, Mario Kart and Super Mario Bros AREN'T supposed to be on the same cartridge?'

2) I have to say, I was too young to actually properly play through it, so I never truly understood most of the emotional stuff that occurred. As a result, I don't think it got to be my favourite game overall. I think in the end, my favourite game would have to be Pokemon White, mainly because that was the first new generation that I experienced along with everyone else when it was first announced. I could have discussions with other people on what would happen, and what good Pokémon would be in there. At last I wasn't left behind when it came to talking about the latest games.

3) My end-game team in Diamond consisted of an over-leveled Empoleon, a Kadabra that evolved from the traded Abra, a Chingling (which I could not for the life of me get to evolve) and the 'E' Unown.

Yeah.

(Hey, at least I first saw and caught a Shiny in that game. 'Why is this Gloom green? Eh, must be a glitch but I'll try to catch it anyway.')

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)