ORAS Ubers Kabutops Uber

I started this team waaay back when swift swim was banned from OU and have spent a few years tweaking it and working out the kinks. I don't spend enough time on the server to get high ranks or participate in tourneys but I do have a solid win percentage when I play with the team. I like to randomly choose a Pokemon and build a team around it. The goal isn't to make it the focus of the team, but to build one that is the most viable in whichever tier I was aiming for. Random selection picked Kabtuops and since swift swim is the best ability for Kabutops I knew that I was going to be making an Ubers team. Naturally the first choice for a teammate had to be Kyogre.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Scald/Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Due to the obvious is obvious role of providing rain for swift swim the old standard set of the dethroned King makes more sense than running the new hotness of Primal. I love using this as my lead, it can get around sashed leads with scald and can nab a lot of easy turn one kills if the opponent guesses the wrong set. Worrying about Knock Off is definitely a thing, but the payoffs outweighs that. I don't know the usage stats on knock off leads but from my experience it isn't much. Normally I fire off a Spout and then switch to the appropriate check/counter for the weakened mon that took the heavy hit. Later on it becomes an impressive revenge killer and can easily sweep a weakened team, if I wasn't sacrificing it for one last storm for Kabutops to finish what's left off.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance/Rapid Spin/Aqua Jet
- Low Kick
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall

The point of the team also is a standard issue old set. Xerneas prevents the need for Lum Berry, plus in Ubers Life Orb just seems required now a days. Base 115 Atk just ain't what it used to be. The same logic applies to Adamant over Jolly. You want to be hitting as hard as you can every attack, the rain will take care of being fast. The only real flip flopping I ever did with him was the last move. Before Defog was changed I ran Rapid Spin, but Mega-Scizor just does a better job at cleaning the hazards. For a while after I ran Aqua Jet but there were so few times when I needed to use it. This also was around the time when Mega-Lucario was being used in Ubers and I was worried about Vacuum Wave. However, I was almost always faster and I wouldn't be against any priority that wasn't Extremespeed. Eventually I came to see that there were some opportunities for Kabutops to get a free turn so I've been using SD for a few months now and it's amazingly efficient. Getting one boost with rain up will end the match most of the time.

Palkia @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Thunder

Palkia was another obvious inclusion, it got a boost from rain and also is the best counter to Kyogre. At first I ran Scarf and had a HO style team but found it hard to switch as none of my guys could take hits well enough to warrant double scarf on a team. Sometimes it would get a string of wins, but normally if someone knew it was happening they could find a way to deal with it. Once Assault Vest came out all my problems were solved. Being able to maintain crazy SpD bulk while still being able to have max SpA allows for Palkia to come in on a lot of stuff and just hit back for more than it took. I never run Hydro Pump in Ubers, I feel the opportunity cost of a miss is not worth the added power, even before it was nerfed. Most of the time Palkia will have rain so it will be hitting hard enough. I've thought about using something other than Fire Blast, but it's the only fire attack I have on the team, which I like to have against normal Groudon as well as Steels. The next three pokemon have changed a lot over the time the teams has been around. I've used more than a fair share of the Uber viable pokemon and rather than list them all here and explain I'll just answer any questions in the thread about anyone I didn't use on the team if someone thinks there are better options.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Atk / 160 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

XY brought major overhauls to my team, the core of the first three never changed, but everyone else did. One thing was clear though, I needed a Xerneas counter. I tried out Mega-Venusaur but felt it didn't do much else to help the team which I didn't like. I don't want weaker options when I am already handicapping my team by running a NU pokemon. Mega-Scizor is great for the team as well as being arguably the best counter in the current meta for Xern. I've crept the Atk up as I found I wasn't always getting 2HKO on Xern with BP which is vital to keeping it from being troublesome. Rain neuters its worst weakness and it can Defog away the hazards quite effectively. Roost and U-Turn are great defensive moves that keep momentum and protect the other members of the team. I tried Superpower but did not care for it. This is a defensive set I don't want to be dropping my stats.

Xerneas @ Leftovers
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

While I didn't think the team needed a wish passer, I did think it was important to heal status on Kabutops especially. I tried a few of the more traditional Aroma users but when XY came out and I saw this set early on I jumped on the chance to try it out. Max Defense because of the huge threat Zekrom poses to my core. Fairy Aura still gives Moonblast enough of a bump to pose a threat. Xern is also a nice pivot to get Kyogre in the middle turns to reestablish rain. There are enough pokes Xern can force out and the double switch can really swing the momentum in your favor.

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Recover

And of course what's an Ubers team without God? I really wanted a Ground Type to absorb the onslaught of electric attacks that would be aimed at my core. I considered Groudon but turning off rain just seems bad to me. The only other ground type that is Uber rank left me with Ground God. Since I already had Scizor doing the defogging I went with the aggressive SD build. I really enjoy the offensive balance this team has while maintaining the ability to handle a lot of threats without sacrificing too much. I know Kabutops got a bad rap after the whole Twitch incident and I'm hoping this team might sway some love over to Dome Fossil.​

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
Hello, although your team is nice and is a known concept, I think you are a couple of generations late. Swift Swimmers were bordeline unviable in XY and are now completely unviable due to the fall of Kyogre and the rise of Primal Groudon, which is immune to Water and walls both your Kyogre and your Kabutops. Palkia is also not great in ORAS, with Lati@s having gotten their Soul Dew back, being faster and stronger etc. Mega Scizor should probably be running Toxic and Pursuit in ORAS too. I would try to rate this team, but sadly I would have to replace 4 or 5 teammembers which is not really how a rate works. I recommend you familiarise yourself with ORAS Ubers and the changes that have happened in Ubers, then build another team and RMT it.

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Weather itself is much worse in this meta, because of the primals running around. You have one thing that hurts primal groudon, and it can come in vs literally any other member of your team. It is the most common mon in the tier, you can't have a team where 5/6 mons autolose to it.

Also, primal kyogre hurts the team badly, less so by killing stuff like palkia (although 504 special attack thunder will hurt everyone but arceus, again), but by removing your rain at will. Ekiller also hurts this team, along with Zekrom, Kyurem-B, Mewtwo (either), the latis, Darkrai and Shaymin, who looks to me like he wins vs your entire team, especially if running a choice scarf. It is a neat team, for at best, XY ubers. Oras caused weather to basically become unviable. Try testing this team (minus mega scizor) in gen5 ubers or something, because it does not fit well with the current metagame.

Thank you for giving actual advice, but I disagree with some of your points. I definitely agree weather is rough, but I don't think Kabutops is any better in ubers with his other abilities. I totally agree and understand that this team isn't tier one and can't be because of the meta shift and because of the Primals. I see what you are saying with Primal resetting the weather but again it's not like there is an alternative option to keep the rain up. E-killer can be a problem but only at +4, and if that happens then I deserve to lose. I've never had any problem with Mewtwo, Xerneas always deals with him. Darkrai only wins if it has whatever poison attack it uses otherwise it's not an issue. Shaymin is rough but I never see it, which isn't really a fix but no team goes without a weakness and if that's my teams worst one then I'll live with it. I think I'd probably try Palkia against it, but again I never see it so I don't know how it plays out. I'm sure flinching is a big deal in terms of who wins that battle.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just wanted to point out that Darkrai should basically always be running Sludge Bomb, people on the ladder just really like being walled by Fairies.

With regard to your replays, I'm not convinced. In game 1 Groudon went down to a crit, but even so he pointlessly left Groudon in when he had an incredibly safe switch in Xerneas because I highly doubt anyone would have gone for the Water move. Your opponent didn't bother to preserve their way of cancelling rain despite you having a Swift Swim user.

In the second battle, they guy left Yveltal in vs non-Primal Kyogre, a matchup he doesn't really win, and he could have pivoted into his own Primal Groudon. Then, he tries to SD up on an Arceus Ground. I don't really know what he was expecting, like did he think you didn't have a Ground move or something?

Anyway, I think switching out Palkia for a Latios or Latias will improve your team. Kyogre isn't common enough to warrant AV Palkia, who arguably really only checks Kyogre at the moment. With Soul Dew, the Latis check Kyogre and importantly give you a switch in against Primal Groudon. At the moment it just uses Precipcie Blades and something take a ton of damage, not good.

Without a Fire move you're going to have to rely on Low Kick for Ferro, though luckily they have dropped in usage a bit and don't really have room for Power Whip.

Which Lati to use is up to your experimentation, some people like one over the other. Latias would probably do a bit better because it has some extra bulk for stuff like PDon's Dragon Claw, but Latios hits a ton harder. I think CM / Roost / Draco Meteor / Psyshock or Psychic would work the best. You grab one CM when it's free and nuke whatever comes in with Draco for tons of damage, even Steels. You can use max Speed or just outspeed base 100s, up to you. You could also swap out CM for Defog and give Scizor Pursuit for trapping opposing Lati. In turn you can run a more defensive Latias set to take on every PDon variant, while still nuking it for tons of damage. I don't feel Healing Wish is necessary because Kabu can't take a hit and Arceus can Recover.

Last edited:

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
Hello, it's really not a question of me being lazy. Anyone will tell you that what I said was true, Swift Swim users are not viable this generation and no snide remarks on your part will change that. RMT rules say that you should suggest optimizations, not throw away half the team. All your replays prove is that you are not experienced in ORAS Ubers, and neither was your opponent, as Primal Groudon completely walls Kyogre and Genesect's U-Turn out into it was insanely obvious. You also cannot argue that you still managed to win due to Kabutops as your opponent threw away the thing that walled your entire rain core without any effort. Bear in mind that Primal Groudon will be on EVERY TEAM in ORAS Ubers due to just how good it is, and its existence alone means that rain's viability out of the window. You're also forgetting how Lati@s completely cockblock Scarf Kyogre.

I definitely want to have whatever Palkia is changed for to hit hard since Xern and Scizor aren't really doing huge damage so i'll definitely try out Latios first and see how that goes. I know that those weren't perfect replays but I just threw up the first two I played that were against teams that had the pokes in question. I surprisingly don't see as much sludge bomb on the ladder, I actually just fought someone who had HP Steel (I dunno man don't ask me) on his Darkrai set.

Pistol just stop dude. I don't care that it's unviable I won't cut Kabutops. He is the whole point of the team. So if you can't deal with that then just butt out and troll someone else because frankly your opinion is worthless to me right now.

Pistol just stop dude. I don't care that it's unviable I won't cut Kabutops. He is the whole point of the team. So if you can't deal with that then just butt out and troll someone else because frankly your opinion is worthless to me right now.
While it's true that Kabutops should not be replaced you should not completely dismiss advice from more experienced players like Pistolero, Lemonade or Hack, stop being a jackass, people are ACTUALLY trying to help you here.

I like to randomly choose a Pokemon and build a team around it.
Pistol: What don't you get about this? Kabutops was the poke the rng gave me. You completely ignore this line and then tell me I have no experience in ORAS ubers despite not knowing anything besides what ever you did read of my RMT. I will gladly take your advice on the team if you give me something more than start over.

Hack: That was the point of making the thread. I realized with the release of ORAS that the team lost a huge amount of viability and I wanted to fix that. I figured that posting the team would get the best chance of fixing it but instead besides Lemonade (again thank you for giving me real advice instead of just telling me to F off) I get nothing but attitude? And that somehow makes me the bad guy? I am WELL AWARE that Swift swim + Drizzle isn't the beast it was back in BW, but no one wants to believe that.

Edgar: I was rude to Pistol because I felt he didn't read my post, just skimmed it and went nope bad team. Pom gave me good general advice about the meta but nothing really in terms of how to address the problems he presented. And I just got a chance to reply to the rest of the posts. Again, why am I the jackass when he clearly is ignoring the main reason behind me having the team in the first place? I don't discredit his ability or knowledge, in fact I was hoping to get real help from some of the Ubers stars by making the thread. As I stated I don't have the time to test teams for hours a day. I usually get like five to ten matches a day in on a good day. I gladly will accept any real advice (again like Lemonade's) on how to adapt the team to the meta without removing Kabutops. I just need to be given said advice to act on it.

Pistol: What don't you get about this? Kabutops was the poke the rng gave me. You completely ignore this line and then tell me I have no experience in ORAS ubers despite not knowing anything besides what ever you did read of my RMT. I will gladly take your advice on the team if you give me something more than start over.

Hack: That was the point of making the thread. I realized with the release of ORAS that the team lost a huge amount of viability and I wanted to fix that. I figured that posting the team would get the best chance of fixing it but instead besides Lemonade (again thank you for giving me real advice instead of just telling me to F off) I get nothing but attitude? And that somehow makes me the bad guy? I am WELL AWARE that Swift swim + Drizzle isn't the beast it was back in BW, but no one wants to believe that.

Edgar: I was rude to Pistol because I felt he didn't read my post, just skimmed it and went nope bad team. Pom gave me good general advice about the meta but nothing really in terms of how to address the problems he presented. And I just got a chance to reply to the rest of the posts. Again, why am I the jackass when he clearly is ignoring the main reason behind me having the team in the first place? I don't discredit his ability or knowledge, in fact I was hoping to get real help from some of the Ubers stars by making the thread. As I stated I don't have the time to test teams for hours a day. I usually get like five to ten matches a day in on a good day. I gladly will accept any real advice (again like Lemonade's) on how to adapt the team to the meta without removing Kabutops. I just need to be given said advice to act on it.
If you want to adapt the team to the meta you need to remove kabutops.

I just don't understand you guys, it's like you are just ignoring half of my posts and focusing on stuff that i've explained multiple times so I just give up on this forum I can fix this team myself.

Hello Silentmartyr,
there is really not much to say anymore, because you got some nice rates. But I will come up with a new idea. If you wanna sweep with Kabutops, you have to beat the opposing Support-Arceus first. So in that case i would use Gothitelle. Most of the time your opponent switches Arceus in Scizor. So the combination of U-Turn plus Shadowtag allows you to handle those formes with ease and gives Kabutops an open field. You might want to replace Palkia for Souldew Latias, because you want the hazards control and Latias is the best Defogger at the moment. Furthermore you get a Groundresistence. Your team seems to be Xerneas weak, so using Sdef Kyogre will help you a lot. My last suggestions is using Rockeus because it completes the teamsynergy and fixxes the Menceproblem which I just noticed.

Hope I was able to help you

1. Gothitelle (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Rest
    - Taunt
    - Calm Mind
    - Psyshock

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 68 SAtk / 192 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Grass Knot
    - Defog
    - Recover

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
    Trait: Multitype
    EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Judgment
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)