Offensification (Hoopa-U BANNED)

Wait so Overheat lowers SpA still? Choice Band Victini Overheat Spam.
anyone notice that overheat only lowers Sp.A but can become a physical move? Flare Blitz is now outclassed
This is partially my fault, it is not so obvious and most people would skim over the 'Other Notes/Mechanics' section. I'll make it more obvious to help prevent this keeping on happening.

Basically, Physical Overheat would lower your attack by 2 after use. Special Overheat would lower your special attack by 2 after use.

Self-stat-down moves lower the stat you used.

pls put this in the OP, in bold, to aid clarity.

Also, I meant to add as far as Mega Medicham vs Mega Gallade that the main thing Mega Gallade has is a much better Speed tier -Mega Gallade's 165 Attack is nowhere near Mega Medicham's Pure Power boosted Attack. After investment, it's the equivalent of (Also fully invested) 247 base Attack. Put another way, Mega Medicham hits almost as hard with Drain Punch as Mega Gallade does with Close Combat -so no, Mega Gallade having Close Combat is not a meaningful point in its favor over Mega Medicham, even before considering Mega Medicham gets High Jump Kick.

Also

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Lonely Nature
- Hurricane
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Blast

So, this guy is scary. Hurricane is inaccurate, but with a 110 BP and STAB, it can kind of afford to be, and the amount of damage it outputs while retaining stab makes it seem viable to me.
Screw that, stick this guy in Rain and replace Fire Blast with Thunder and it's a murder machine.

Also note Dragonite gets Surf for further rain abuse. I'd argue that it's more sensible than Earthquake in a Rain team.

Also: Volcarona has a huge Physical movepool and no ability to use it normally. Now it has surprisingly good coverage, including Wild Charge -and also it gets U-Turn to duck out of bad situations or just surprise unsuspecting opponents with a U-Turn over a Quiver Dance.

Mega Gardevoir gets real priority! (Shadow Sneak)

Gourgeist can actually use it's obnoxiously good Special movepool.

Machamp can Focus Blast you out of existence. And Fire Blast you. Also, it finally gets STAB priority -Vacuum Wave.

By a similar token Golurk can replace Dynamic Punch with Focus Blast for sheer raw BP, in addition to upping its Ghost offense by 33% via Shadow Ball. Also it can replace its crappy elemental punches with Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. (No, it doesn't get Thunder or Blizzard. That would be good, so of course Golurk can't get it)

Weather Ball can be run as Physical. Mostly relevant to Victreebel, but that's still cool. So can Solar Beam, and Sludge Bomb/Wave...

In general most Physical Dragons are perfectly happy to replace Dragon Claw/Outrage with Draco Meteor, which is very powerful and has a manageable disadvantage.

Keldeo gets usable priority. (Aqua Jet)

A surprising number of Pokemon that are Special-oriented can suddenly run Earthquake, including the Latis, Typhlosion, Hydreigon, Sceptile, Regice, Wailord, Slowbro/Slowking...

Speaking of Hydreigon, it gets on-stat U-Turn, Acrobatics, Head Smash, Superpower, and of course the aforementioned Earthquake.

Regular Metagross is perfectly happy to replace Zen Headbutt with Psychic. Or Psyshock, for that matter. Mega Metagross would rather have Zen Headbutt anyway, because of Tough Claws, but it might run Psyshock to get past Physical walls.

Sylveon actually cares about Pixilated Quick Attack now.

Manaphy can smack you with a Tail Glow-ed Knock Off! Also it can U-Turn out of trouble off that same Tail Glow. Some teams might opt for Waterfall over Scald for Flinches.

Thundurus-Therian is happy with Special U-Turn, Hammer Arm, and of course Knock Off.

Heliolisk might actually use its access to Dragon Tail and U-Turn.

... Mega Beedrill might run Solar Beam or Giga Drain? Maybe? oh and i guess it can replace Poison Jab with Sludge Bomb but why are you taking Poison STAB at all

Crobat finally cares about its fairly good Special movepool, most notably Heat Wave! Actually, a lot of bird-like Flying types (Shut up I know Crobat isn't a bird) get Fire coverage suddenly out of Heat Wave.

Porygon-Z is perfectly happy to accept an approximately 25% damage increase on its primary STAB (Replace Tri Attack with Return/Frustration), or possibly take a straight-up 50% increase at cost (Double-Edge), or possibly try to fit in Last Resort for 140 Adaptability-boosted BP of pain.

Another point worth noting is that balanced Pokemon are generally inherently unpredictable -that Cobalion that just Close Combated you might be Physical, or it might be Special! They're both equally valid -so don't assume stuff like "Cobalion is Physical being Close Combat is Physical".

EV

Banned deucer.

Not only do Sheer Force users like Landorus and Nidoking get big buffs, Rampardos has a plethora of boosted attacks to use over the elemental punches. It isn't as good as those other two because it doesn't gain a stronger Rock move, but Fire Blast, Earth Power, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, and Thunderbolt are straight up improvements of its former physical moves. Tauros is in a similar boat. At least Kingler gets a STAB boost with Scald. Yay!

Mamoswine's Freeze-Dry can actually do some damage now and Ice Beam>Icicle Crash any day of the week.

Draining moves are really sweet. Special Drain Punch. Physical Giga Drain (aka Horn Leech). They might be weaker than another move (Focus Blast/Power Whip), but the residual recovery for Ferrothorn for example is great when coupled with Leech Seed since Rocky Helmet takes the spot of Leftovers on some sets.

Furfrou @ Leftovers
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Charge Beam
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

This set takes advantage of physical Charge Beam (which has a 70% chance to boost Attack) alongside its nice base 102 Speed, respectable bulk thanks to Fur Coat, and access to priority in Sucker Punch. (I'm also considering Surf for hitting Ground-types, but I don't know where it would fit on the set.) Can Furfrou actually be useful?

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire / Ice]

Klinklang gets a great benefit from this meta in the form of a movepool that works better with its signature move Shift Gear. Unfortunately, it still has to use Hidden Power for coverage. The choice of Hidden Power depends on whether Ferrothorn or Gliscor is a bigger problem. Heck, maybe even Grass for Quagsire would work. The Speed EVs are used to outspeed Scarf Terrakion, Infernape, and Keldeo after a Shift Gear, even with the required Speed drop of Hidden Power Fire, with the rest put into HP to increase its bulk.

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Thunder Punch

Do you want coverage? Because that is how you get coverage.

Also, another question: does Hustle only affect moves that are normally physical, or does it also affect moves that become physical through the Offensification rule?

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Couple sets that rape face:

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Level: 69
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Double-Edge
- Psyshock
- Fire Punch
- Taunt / Calm Mind

rip Scizor. rip Ferrothorn. Fuck you Heatran. rip anything that doesn't resist fairy. Seriously. This thing is a threat. Too bad she has a shit HP Tho :/

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Stronger poison STAB and has a way to get past Ferrothorn and weakened Skarmory now. Drill run could be used is Heatran / Metagross are problems tho.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Psyshock

Fuck you Heatran. You can die now. EQ OHKOes so Heatran is no longer a check. Also does decent damage to offensive TTar and kills Bisharp.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Lando T & Gliscor: go away. HP Ice 2HKoes both on the switch, so rip. You lose rapid spin tho.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Blast
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Surf / Thunderbolt

Fuck you Ferrothorn. Fuck you Chesnaught. Fuck you Skarmory. Try to wall me now. TBolt can also be used over surf to kill Keldeo and Azu.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- X-Scissor
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Lati@s now gets 2HKoed on the switch (iirc), so they're no longer completely reliable checks. Also rip Celebi. Icy wind is still superior on specs because of the speed drop tho (since it 2HKoes both anyways).

Might post more later, but for now I see these guys being threats. Honorable mention goes to HP Fire & Psychic Metagross, tho they don't have tough claws so ehh.

I don't know if anybody said this before, but belly drum slurpuff gets phisical flamethrower / surf
Also np lucario with special Espeed / close combat to destroy chansey

Last edited:
slurpuff a threat. Definitely. Might even post dat set.

Slurpuff@Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Ability: Umburden
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough / Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Surf

If you find time to set up, and enemy lacks priorities, BD and ( hopefully )
smash the opposition. Flamethrower hits Steel types, and Surf smashes Fire types. Unless DG misses KOs, use it over Play Rough

However, has the Gardy to be lv. 69 for the set to be effective?

Anyways, to make the post of some meaning, I could post some sets.

Greninja@Life Orb
Timid Nature
Evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Ability: Protean
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak / Hidden Power Fire
- U-Turn

Yea. I don't know how to Greninja. Still, Gunk Shot OP

Last edited:
Also, another question: does Hustle only affect moves that are normally physical, or does it also affect moves that become physical through the Offensification rule?
Hustle will lower the accuracy of any move that is physical. Thus, Physical Hidden Power from Hustle will still get the accuracy reduction.
If it didn't it would be pretty overpowered...
I'll add this to the OP soon, along with the new sets.

This for OMOTM pls&ty.
Asking for this to be OMotM won't make it OMotM :P

I'm surprised hardly anyone has posted defensive sets, as because many Pokemon are likely to use a specific Damage Category, so thus choosing which tank to switch into would be slightly easier, but Pokemon like Infernape, Cobalion etc. may be harder to predict.

One Pokemon I think could do well is Bronzong.
With Levitate, Bronzong resists the all of the Sheer Force Attacks Landorus is able to use. Only a Physical Hidden Power, or Focus Miss can allow Landorus to hit this thing.
Heatproof may be used instead of Levitate to trick the opponent, but I doubt it will be used as much.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Asking for this to be OMotM won't make it OMotM :P

I'm surprised hardly anyone has posted defensive sets, as because many Pokemon are likely to use a specific Damage Category, so thus choosing which tank to switch into would be slightly easier, but Pokemon like Infernape, Cobalion etc. may be harder to predict.

One Pokemon I think could do well is Bronzong.
With Levitate, Bronzong resists the all of the Sheer Force Attacks Landorus is able to use. Only a Physical Hidden Power, or Focus Miss can allow Landorus to hit this thing.
Heatproof may be used instead of Levitate to trick the opponent, but I doubt it will be used as much.

What do you think?
Well, the bronze bell could be one answer, if it was not weak to Knock Off. However, Skarmory has top-notch physical bulk, resists its STABs, and has reliable recovery. Still, it risks being on the wrong end of a special Focus Miss and cannot do much at all vs. Nidoking and its ridiculous coverage.

Also np lucario with special Espeed / close combat to destroy chansey
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Close Combat (Special) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 478-564 (74.4 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat (Physical) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 1201-1414 (187 - 220.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Lucario might be best to keep Physical if you really want to use it...

Well, the bronze bell could be one answer, if it was not weak to Knock Off.
Ah, I forgot about that...
Godammit Gen 6 type changes!

But for the looks of it, Sheer Force won't be banned as a whole any time soon.

cacs for skarm vs. lando

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 122-144 (36.5 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery(122, 123, 125, 126, 127, 129, 131, 133, 134, 135, 136, 138, 139, 140, 142, 144)

A physical Focus Blast does a bit of damage, however Skarmory can switch in, Roost off the damage it took, and proceed to wear down with Toxic and Brave Bird ( does this thing have Mirror Shot? ).

All would seem fine, but...

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 270-318 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock(270, 273, 277, 279, 283, 286, 289, 292, 295, 299, 302, 305, 308, 312, 315, 318)

Yeah, the steely bird won't take a Focus Blast ( or a SE HP, if that does matter ) more than once, and has an equal probability to bite ( peck?) the dust with a single inaccurate ball of energy catching it.

Nidoking KOs with phys Tbolt if LO

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 161-190 (48.2 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery(161, 161, 164, 166, 166, 169, 172, 174, 174, 177, 179, 182, 182, 185, 187, 190)

but Skarm has a chance vs. phys Scarf, if not running Fire Blast

252 Atk Sheer Force Nidoking Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 124-146 (37.1 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery(124, 124, 126, 128, 128, 130, 132, 134, 134, 136, 138, 140, 140, 142, 144, 146)

252 Atk Sheer Force Nidoking Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 150-178 (44.9 - 53.2%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery(150, 152, 154, 156, 158, 160, 160, 162, 164, 166, 168, 170, 172, 174, 176, 178)

that said, it cannot Toxic it because of Nido's typing, and falls easily to any special variant.

In the end, I would say it could handle phys sets of the genie, but can take hits only from phys scarf Nido lacking Fire Blast, given it enters the battle in good shape.

Serperior with equal attack and special attack actual coverage in the form of physical or special knock off/pursuit
aqua tail
iron tail
outrage (may have an immunity to worry about but there are other things to deal with that)

Basically serperior if it had coverage

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It also doesn't require you to be poisoned SK you could run like CB Guts with Boomburst and Brave Bird

hi! Just theorymonning here but hopefully this works. I am on my phone so sorry if wrong Format.
Keldeo@Expert Belt
Timid Nature
EVs:252 Sp.Attk/252Speed/4Sp.Def
~Close Combat
~Scald/Aqua Jet
~Bounce/HP Flying
~Icy Wind

so Choice specs sylveon doesnt seem too bad in this

Sylveon @ choice specs
modest nature
EVs: 252 SpA/244 HP/12 Speed
Ability: pixilate
- Hyper voice
- Quick attack
- Psyshock
- HP ground/HP fire

with quick attack, sylveon finally gets the priority in its movepool that was unusable for so long. Thus enabling it to revenge kill stuff and lol at Hydreigon

Hmmm... let's raise a couple questions about this OM that I haven't seen effectively answered yet.
  1. Would a status move that boosts ONE attacking stat change which stat it boosts, based on the user's higher stat?
    • For example, would Tail Glow raise physical attack by 3 on a physical Manaphy?
  2. Would such a boosting move change which defensive stat is boosted?
    • For example, would an Overgrow Serperior using Coil raise Special Attack, Special Defense, and accuracy? Or would it raise Special Attack, Defense, and accuracy?
A very interesting idea overall; one I'd love to test out, when the opportunity presents itself...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)