Stunky [QC 3/3]

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Okay, will do. I'll start on the second set now. I hope it's okay if the explanations for them are really similar though.
The spread in the second set should be:

EVs: 12 HP / 12 Atk / 220 Def / 28 SpA / 188 SpD / 4 Spe
Serious Nature

It still counters Abra and Gastly just fine (though Wish support is highly ideal).

236 SpA Abra Dazzling Gleam vs. 18 HP / 188 SpD Eviolite Stunky: 6-8 (26 - 34.7%) -- 59.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

236 SpA Life Orb Abra Dazzling Gleam vs. 18 HP / 188 SpD Eviolite Stunky: 8-10 (34.7 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
The spread in the second set should be:

EVs: 12 HP / 12 Atk / 220 Def / 28 SpA / 188 SpD / 4 Spe
Serious Nature

It still counters Abra and Gastly just fine (though Wish support is highly ideal).

236 SpA Abra Dazzling Gleam vs. 18 HP / 188 SpD Eviolite Stunky: 6-8 (26 - 34.7%) -- 59.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

236 SpA Life Orb Abra Dazzling Gleam vs. 18 HP / 188 SpD Eviolite Stunky: 8-10 (34.7 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Okay, I will use that spread. You didn't answer though, is it okay if the explanations are really similar for the two sets?

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I will use that spread. You didn't answer though, is it okay if the explanations are really similar for the two sets?
Explanations can be similar cuz both sets are primarily Pursuit-trapping, but when you write it up, the descriptions can't be carbon-copies of one another.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
The first set needs to highlight the fact that 18 Speed Taunt shuts down Surskit and prevents Sticky Web from being set up. Also the high Speed is good for using Defog and Memento; you might go into detail on those things.

The second set forgoes utility and opts to attack more things instead, while still carrying out its primary role as a counter to Abra and Gastly.

Aaron's Aron

Explanations can be similar cuz both sets are primarily Pursuit-trapping, but when you write it up, the descriptions can't be carbon-copies of one another.
Well I didn't mean Carbon-copies, but yeah, pretty similar. Thanks for letting me know Mambo, I just wanted to be sure. :)

The first set needs to highlight the fact that 18 Speed Taunt shuts down Surskit and prevents Sticky Web from being set up. Also the high Speed is good for using Defog and Memento; you might go into detail on those things.

The second set forgoes utility and opts to attack more things instead, while still carrying out its primary role as a counter to Abra and Gastly.
Okie dokie, gotcha. :D

Aaron's Aron

Should I have Play Rough slashed onto the first set? The first set is supposed to be a fast utility Stunky, but if Play Rough is used then Defog can't be since they are incompatible.

Aaron's Aron

I added the second set and made changes to the descriptions. However, they are fairly similar, and some were even straight copy and pastes. I will change what needs to be changed though, so what do you guys think?

You have to remove Play Rough on Stunky's second set, or slash it alongside Sucker Punch. Also for the second set, I would replace Flamethrower with Fire Blast and mention Flamethrower in Other Options. Another thing I question is the reasoning for the nature Serious over Sassy? Stunky does not need the speed in the second set, seeing as neither Taunt or Memento are being utilized, while Sassy allows it to switch-in on Gastly / Abra more successfully. Perhaps Serious / Sassy should be the nature, as Sassy definitely has niche over Serious.

Aaron's Aron

You have to remove Play Rough on Stunky's second set, or slash it alongside Sucker Punch. Also for the second set, I would replace Flamethrower with Fire Blast and mention Flamethrower in Other Options. Another thing I question is the reasoning for the nature Serious over Sassy? Stunky does not need the speed in the second set, seeing as neither Taunt or Memento are being utilized, while Sassy allows it to switch-in on Gastly / Abra more successfully. Perhaps Serious / Sassy should be the nature, as Sassy definitely has niche over Serious.
Stunky doesn't want any of its stats weakened since they are all quite important to it (they are all utilized). Goddess Briyella was pretty adamant about Serious as the nature, so I'd ask her. She explained it pretty well to me when I asked.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Another thing I question is the reasoning for the nature Serious over Sassy? Stunky does not need the speed in the second set, seeing as neither Taunt or Memento are being utilized, while Sassy allows it to switch-in on Gastly / Abra more successfully. Perhaps Serious / Sassy should be the nature, as Sassy definitely has niche over Serious.
Sassy nature with this spread causes Stunky to Speed-tie with Croagunk and be outsped by Vullaby, Zigzagoon, 20 Spe Fletchling, Larvesta, Corphish, Omanyte, and Bellsprout outside sunlight. Serious nature lets it retain a nice 14 Speed tier and still lets it easily counter both Abra and Gastly, as shown in my above calcs.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
As for killing Ferroseed, this is the best Stunky can do without using a +SpA nature (which would take away from another stat):

188 SpA Stunky Fire Blast vs. 88 HP / 148+ SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 20-24 (90.9 - 109%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Flamethrower and Fire Blast both only 2HKO, so you might as well choose the option that will not ever miss.

Same goes for Pawniard:

188 SpA Stunky Fire Blast vs. 76 HP / 116 SpD Pawniard: 18-22 (81.8 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Team Options: Give specific examples of the fighting types and of the pokemon that can check ground-types.

Other Options:
For the Fire Blast section, compare it to Flamethrower, which is on the set. It's stronger but fails to gain many notable OHKO/2HKO's and has a miss chance.
Talk about Stench's unreliability.
You could put Toxic here so that Stunky can wear down walls like Porygon that it couldn't otherwise because of its bad offensive stats.

Checks&Counters: Under Pawniard, change Fire Blast to Flamethrower.

Nice work QC 3/3 =]

The second set still has an issue of move illegality, however. Play Rough and Sucker Punch cannot be used simultaneously. You have to move Play Rough as a second slash to Sucker Punch, and remove it in the last slot with Defog and Flamethrower.

• You removed Play Rough from the moves section on the first set, be sure to put that back in. Play Rough is also illegal with Defog, so be sure to mention that wherever Play Rough is. Memento is also under the moves section on the second set when it's not listed any where on the moveset. I don't know if it's supposed to be on there or not, but make sure to do something about it.
  • Mention Gothita as a partner, since it can trap and kill Fighting-types and Ground-types after they KO Stunky, trap and cripple/ko walls, and also finish off several hazard setters (Drilbur, Archen, Tirtouga, Omanyte, Ferroseed, Trubbish, etc) so Stunky doesn't have to Defog multiple times throughout a match. Aftermath is also extremely useful for Gothita, as it helps it KO threats after killing Stunky.
  • Mention that Stunky is not limited to just trapping Pursuit-weak threats, it can trap any sufficiently weakened Pokemon that doesn't directly threaten Stunky.
  • This is something that might be covered by GP, but I noticed that when similar points are made on the sets, you often have the same points word for word. Be sure to rephrase a point wherever you do this, its just good writing practice and it looks better overall.
Other than that, this looks good. Go ahead and write it up QC 3/3

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Overview:
"This lets Stunky outspeed a large portion of the tier, but it does have to watch out for the few faster Pokemon, as it is weak to most of them."
Don't say it's weak to most of them, because it's only weak to a few.
Gastly and Abra have risen drastically in prominence since this analysis was initially written to the point that Stunky is now a genuinely valuable addition to even the average team, so perhaps add a line at the end saying that Stunky is still a good choice for a team if Gastly and Abra are particularly troublesome so it's left on a good note.

Bulky Pursuit:
I think that the bulky set should be moved above the fast support set, because being able to avoid the 2HKO from LO Gastly/Abra's Dazzling Gleam is an enormous boon, much more than it was formerly, when considering how they often carry Substitute to get around Sucker Punch.
Fire Blast is extremely useful when paired with Defog and probably deserves a more prominent slash on the Bulky Pursuit set.
A better move order would probably be:
Pursuit
Sucker Punch
Fire Blast / Sludge Bomb
Defog / Sludge Bomb
Play Rough should just be left as a possible option in move descriptions because frankly a slow unSTABed Play Rough off Stunky's average unboosted Attack stat is underwhelming at best, and Defog and Sucker Punch are much, much more useful in most cases. Flamethrower fails to 2HKO Eviolite Pawniard from full health or Magnemite after Stealth Rock, so it should also be relegated to move descriptions. Dark Pulse simply doesn't offer as much as Stunky's other moves so it should be left to Other Options.

Other Options:
Remove Fire Blast, because it is now on a main set, and add and describe Dark Pulse.
Mention Choice Scarf and Life Orb as possible item choices for a somewhat gimmicky offensive set.

Checks and Counters:
Under Pawniard's mention, replace Flamethrower with Fire Blast.

There's a lot of changes because Stunky has changed a lot recently. I'm going to withhold the final QC stamp because somehow, despite all of our discussions about this analysis and three checks, we have entirely failed to even consider berry juice as a possible item on the fast set in particular. This is QC's fault, not yours. In the mean time, the changes I suggested above should be good to implement.

Last edited:

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
this needs to be updated Aaron's Aron. I also think the bulky set should be changed to something more efficient. I'll edit that in later
Abs has a really nice spread for Stunky which I believe he shared in last week's Teambuilding Workshop. I'd suggest using that as the bulky spread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)