np: UU Stage 1 - Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
M-Sharpedo is also going to be a monster now, with two less fighting type Megas dominating the meta. Might have to make a few more Sharp teams and have some fun.
Ironically, I think that this actually hurts shark. Until now it had the niche that it could revenge kill both of the major fighting threats in the meta-game with just a minimum of prior damage, then go on to sweep. With these two gone we'll instead see more Machamp, who is bulky enough to tank a waterfall and hit back hard, and Mienshao, who usually wears a scarf and requires two speed boosts to bypass.

Well, with the ban of both MegaGallade and MegaLopunny, the competition for a Mega-spot significantly decreases. More importantly, Mega-Blastoise is now back in the scene.

MegaBlastoise lost a lot of usage during Lop's and Gallstones' stint in UU really pushed MegaBlastoise out of the spotlight, since its only utility was Rapid Spinning. Considering the two most cancerous things during the pre-ban also conveniently resisted rocks, MEgaBlastoise really had next to no use.

Well, at least people can kiss Shedinja stall goodbye.

Ironically, I think that this actually hurts shark. Until now it had the niche that it could revenge kill both of the major fighting threats in the meta-game with just a minimum of prior damage, then go on to sweep. With these two gone we'll instead see more Machamp, who is bulky enough to tank a waterfall and hit back hard, and Mienshao, who usually wears a scarf and requires two speed boosts to bypass.
just gonna point out that +1 mega jolly pedo ties with scarf mienshao. as long as the pedo is already mega'd, it comes down to a tie, which, granted, isnt great either, but its a whole lot better than losing every time. jolly pedo misses out on some serious firepower, but i think in uu its worth it simply for this reason.

jus sayin'

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
just gonna point out that +1 mega jolly pedo ties with scarf mienshao. as long as the pedo is already mega'd, it comes down to a tie, which, granted, isnt great either, but its a whole lot better than losing every time. jolly pedo misses out on some serious firepower, but i think in uu its worth it simply for this reason.

jus sayin'

Sure, but going jolly means that you can't break through bulky waters anymore. I think that shark pretty much has to be adamant. Two boosts is not impossible, and actually isn't that hard if you plan things out, but it's just another concern.

Sure, but going jolly means that you can't break through bulky waters anymore. I think that shark pretty much has to be adamant. Two boosts is not impossible, and actually isn't that hard if you plan things out, but it's just another concern.
two boosts is very difficult atm. without life orb boosting damage output pre-mega its wea af and can almost never stay nonmega if it wants to hit hard at all. and what bulky waters does this thing break as adamant that it cant as jolly, im curious, cuz neither set 3hkoes pert and neither one breaks cune either way,,,

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 150-177 (37.1 - 43.8%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Mega Sharpedo Crunch vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 177-208 (44.1 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

not to mention adamant and jolly both 2hko tentacruel.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
two boosts is very difficult atm. without life orb boosting damage output pre-mega its wea af and can almost never stay nonmega if it wants to hit hard at all. and what bulky waters does this thing break as adamant that it cant as jolly, im curious, cuz neither set 3hkoes pert and neither one breaks cune either way,,,
I might be biased because I run Sharpedo on a hazards team, but there are some significant differences...

First, against Suicune, the 3HKO is very important, because if you outspeed, a 3HKO means you can kill it while it's resting if you don't get burned by a Sleep Talk Scald. Jolly misses that (only a 19% chance to 3HKO), which is pretty huge, considering how common Suicune is.

Second, with rocks and a layer of Spikes, Adamant Sharpedo has the guaranteed 2HKO on Swampert, but Jolly does not.

Third, there are threats such as Mega-Blastoise where 2HKOing them is as good as losing to them entirely, because they can OHKO you with Aura Sphere or whatever. If I want to sweep with Sharpedo, I need to make sure that Blastoise is worn down to OHKO range first. For Adamant, if it switches in twice with rocks and a single layer of Spikes down, it's in OHKO range from Crunch. For Jolly, you'll need some additional damage.

As for getting two boosts, it basically means bringing in Sharpedo on something it can revenge kill or chase out without needing to evolve. I've got several replays of me doing exactly that; I'll track them down and edit them in.

Finally, the other main reason to go Jolly over Adamant would be outspeeding Hydreigon, which is admittedly nice... except that as Jolly, you only have a 6% chance to OHKO Hydreigon after rocks damage.

I guess some of this stuff is team specific; I'm not trying to say that you should never go Jolly (although I guess my last post kind of implied exactly that... sorry). But I tested both out on my team, and going Adamant made a pretty big difference for me.

Last edited:
Probably another one of the most notables is Vaporeon as well:
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Crunch vs. 204 HP / 248+ Def Vaporeon: 225-265 (49.7 - 58.6%) -- 70.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

But yeah, I've been trying M-Sharpedo a lot as well and it is very good with hazard support. It can be quite easy to get to +2 as well, as long as you can come in on something you can finish off in one hit and outspeed at +1, which is generally easy to find in the late game an opportunity and it will just clean. Keep in mind that Protect will fail if they switch, so if they do switch to something faster once you've come in and grabbed a Speed Boost it can easily get to +2 where nearly nothing outspeeds it.

Reactions: HT
yeah hogg i can see why you run adamant for sure, i was genuinely curious as to what it hit, so thanks for letting me know :D

However, I would really like to talk about an extremely threatening Pokemon that has been overlooked by many players simply because of the new toys we have. I seriously recommend all of you to try this thing, its an absolute monster and its easy to use too!

Judgement Day (Absol-Mega) @ Absolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

I suppose the first thing to say is that I do understand that this set is old news. I'm just reinforcing/posting about how fucking strong it is. Mega-Absol can now possess Knock Off and Play Rough on the same set (thank you based ORAS tutors), and it really is that much better than Superpower. Play rough hits some serious threats seriously hard, i.e. Zygarde, M-Amph, Krookodile, Umbreon, etc. After an SD this thing can log some KOs on teams that don't have a dedicated answer. Mega Absol is also hilariously easy to use, I made this (admittedly horrendous) setup team with it and it puts in so much work its not even funny. There really isnt much to say,but if you can get this thing behind some screens, its gonna do some serious damage (like most setups lmoa). Seriously guys, use this monster.

oh and pursuit is a thing too. pursuit mabsol + lucario is fucking disgustingly good (s/o to nolan).

Looks like we have a new toy with the upcoming release of Contrary Serperior. Well that should be an interesting addition to the tier at least, and one that can threaten Suicune and very easily snowball.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Looks like we have a new toy with the upcoming release of Contrary Serperior. Well that should be an interesting addition to the tier at least, and one that can threaten Suicune and very easily snowball.
Yup. With HP Fire and Dragon Pulse it has near perfect coverage.
On the topic of the new released hidden abilities, do you guys think that emboar will have any use / viability now that it has reckless? It's speed is probably what holds it back, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, saw that too, about time tbh.

Reckless Emboar is gonna be pretty fun as a wallbreaker Eviolite pignite will be the new face of stall.

On the topic of the new released hidden abilities, do you guys think that emboar will have any use / viability now that it has reckless? It's speed is probably what holds it back, but I'm not sure.
I remember scarfemboar was a thing back in Gen V. Imo it's still outclassed by darmanitan.

Maybe unrelated, but do you guys have any ideas when it will be implemented?

What do you guys think is the best mega in UU right now? I've been using Mega-Abomasnow lately, and it's really anti meta imo. It checks things like M: Pidgeot, Sceptile, as well as big bulky sweepers like Suicine and Zygarde, while still beating some Crobats. It struggles with every fire and steel type, but I think it's a really good bulky pivot. I personally think the mixed set is the best, but the SD is just too fun.

Maybe unrelated, but do you guys have any ideas when it will be implemented?

What do you guys think is the best mega in UU right now? I've been using Mega-Abomasnow lately, and it's really anti meta imo. It checks things like M: Pidgeot, Sceptile, as well as big bulky sweepers like Suicine and Zygarde, while still beating some Crobats. It struggles with every fire and steel type, but I think it's a really good bulky pivot. I personally think the mixed set is the best, but the SD is just too fun.
I see some guys playing with it but I am not sure if it should be legal since according to serebii it would be released on the 28th of December and redeemed on the 9th of January, which is when it should be legal ideally.

It may not have the best speed but it certainly "usable" I would think, just enough to speed creep some walls and other bulky stuff. I mean look at Dragalge's speed, not the best but usable. That said it does face stiff competition with Darm who also uses fire STAB to break walls or clean up, and with a much higher speed, in addition the U-turn to always maintain momentum. I'm definitely iffy as to whether it would make it UU, whereas Serperior is a different story.

Last edited:
Emboar also has STAB Superpower and Reckless Head Smash and Wild Charge, which could help break walls Darmanitan cannot. For instance, you 2HKO 252/252+ Alomomola with CB Wild Charge, which Darmanitan obviously fails to break. I think Emboar's coverage will give it a niche over Darmanitan. Darmanitan will still be a fairly popular Scarfed nuke, but Emboar hits WAY harder with its other three moves, whereas Darm spams U-turn until it gets something in a corner with Flare Blitz and occasionally drops a Rock Slide or Earthquake.

Emboar also has a decent sp. attack stat so that you can run Grass Knot to lure in Swamperts and Hippos, as well as access to Sucker Punch (and lol Flame Charge) to slightly remedy its poor Speed stat. The rocks neutrality and Pursuit resistance means it won't be easily picked off by M.Aero as opposed to Darm, which is nice too. I can see a E.belt set working quite well in UU.

Emboar also has a decent sp. attack stat so that you can run Grass Knot to lure in Swamperts and Hippos, as well as access to Sucker Punch (and lol Flame Charge) to slightly remedy its poor Speed stat. The rocks neutrality and Pursuit resistance means it won't be easily picked off by M.Aero as opposed to Darm, which is nice too. I can see a E.belt set working quite well in UU.
Well MAero would likely just Aerial Ace it anyways :P

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Emboar: 420-494 (99 - 116.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

But yeah a mix set would be interesting to say at the least, in being able to bypass some would be waters.

Well MAero would likely just Aerial Ace it anyways :P

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Emboar: 420-494 (99 - 116.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

But yeah a mix set would be interesting to say at the least, in being able to bypass some would be waters.
What I meant is the Pursuit, from the likes of Aero and Krook

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Pursuit (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan: 210-248 (59.8 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Pursuit (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Emboar: 93-109 (25.7 - 30.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

But yeah you aren't staying in an Aero, you aren't outspeeding Adamant Aero even with Jolly scarf since that doesn't even outrun it

What about Flame Charge Emboar?Jolly 252 EVs hits 502 after 2 boosts. This lets it outpace Mega Aero. I thinkll it have a niche, but will be interesting.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Honestly, i don't know how much reckless is going to affect Emboar, atleast in the UU Tier. The mixed set deals more damage at the cost of less recoil to this tier. All you need is Superpower as your primary physical attack and Sucker Punch for priority. Grass Knot and Fire Blast are far superior move options to wild charge and head smash as grass knot hits those fat grounds and bulky waters for 0k0's/2hk0's at, as i said earlier, the cost of less hp. Meaning you are only taking the 10% from life orb as opposed to 2128498378% by using wild charge on an alomomola which can just wish protect switch etc etc while you are killing yourself. Grass knot already hits suicune, quagsire, swampert, alomomola and hippowdown. You could always run flareblitz over fireblast i suppose for pokemon like florges and other bulky physical walls but yeah. I just don't see reckless really giving it anything different than its "best" set already had. Maybe you can use a cb variant to just go all kamikaze, actually cb sounds pretty cool with superpower wild charge head smash and blitz. kill yourself with every move and take an opponent down with you. just my two cents.

Furthermore, darmanitan is arguably better simply because it has u tirn to provide the team with momentum, which is something emboar really lacks. Besides, if we're really comparing choice bander, machamp completely outclasses emboar.

I feel the thing that Darmanitan has over Emboar is the speed mainly. Emboar has less weakness to stealth rocks, secondary STAB and priority. If it just had Hi Jump Kick that would make it even better.
I can see definitivly a niche at the very least on it.

Poor Samuwott btw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)