Not open for further replies.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Amperay

A combination of "Ampere" + "Ray"

Pronounced "AMPA-ray"

I just wanted to go with a very simple name that rolls off the tongue nicely. Ampere is the SI unit for current, and it's a manta ray, it might seem simplistic, but our Pre-Evo is simple compared to the mighty Plasmanta.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Runtgen

Runt + Roentgen, a unit of ionizing radiation.

Pronounced: RUNT-ghin
IPA: /ˈrʌntɡən/

Final Submission

Plasminuta

A combination of "Plasma" + "Minute" + "Manta", as the preevo should be smaller than Plasmanta.

Pronounced: Plas-Mine-EWta

Unsee

so smart me, enjoy book so much
is an Artist
Final Submission

Snugglow

A little portmanteau of "Snuggle" and "Glow"

Pronounced "SNUG-low"

Here's my explanation again... I think we can all agree that a cute Pokémon needs a cute name. When I look at this thing, I see snuggles. I don't see a terrifying, venomous, charged stingray! Also, I don't think people need to focus on the manta part of it. Game Freak didn't name Jigglypuff "Pinkballoffluff..."

Final Submission

Zingling

Zing + Tingling + Youngling

Pronounced: "ZING-gling" - similar to tingling

This name refers to the fact that our little prevo would have significantly less electrical output than Plasmanta, just enough to make your hairs stand on end. It also refers to the juvenile status of the prevo.

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Sensoray

A combination of "sensor" (relating to what its antennae function as) and "ray" (it is a ray). Also a pun on "sensory".

Pronounced: SEN-suh-ray

Last edited:
Final Submission

Gammanta

gamma + manta

Pronounced: ga-MAN-ta

Gamma rays are made of tiny little photons and we have a tiny little prevo. No?

Final Submission

Eleray

Electric + Ray

Pronounced E-le-RAE

This is an extremely simple name, and I seems to lead well into Plasmanta. It also rolls off the tongue quite well, and a soft, simple name just fits for a small, cute Pokemon.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Final Submission

Plasmicra

Combination of "Plasma" + "Micra"

Pronounced: "plaz-MAI-krah"

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Ohmagosh

Combination of "Ohm" and the phrase "Oh my gosh". It's also a play on Plasmanta's fan name "Ohmagod"

Final Submission

Plasmunchkin

The established Plas- prefix + Munchkin, the small people from The Wizard of Oz. Again, I'm aware it's slightly too long, but I was certain the limit is 12 characters, not 10.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Mantenna

"manta" + "antenna"

Pronounced: "man-TEN-nah"
IPA: mæntɛnə

I focused on the large cephalic fins on the design. Antennae could refer to electrical devices, too, so that can fit.

Comments:
  • Shadowshocker: The unit of measurement does meet the word 'manta' well, and I do like how 'Ohmanta' --> 'Plasmanta'. The first syllable becomes more elegant upon evolution. I find the name well-fitting. :)
  • tea_and_blues: The first name makes me think of 'crayon'--well, the way I pronounce it, at least. I know different places have different dialects. I'd say that 'yawn' doesn't directly indicate a pillow, but Pokemon has farther tangents in name etymology. I like 'Plazkate' with that 'z': 'Plaskate' makes me put the stress on the second syllable, and misspelling is a good way to get around that intuition while keeping the meaning alive.
  • The Avalanches: The name works independently to define the design. ouob It's not bad!
  • The Unseen Potato: Cute name. :) I like the idea, although I slightly wish it compared with Plasmanta better. Regardless, the name's a nice contrast to more typical ray-like names.
  • wh0sy0urpapa: Names that end with 'ray', well... there are many words that end with some phoneme in ray that invites an easy portmanteau. 'Sensoray' is all right by that regard.
  • PokeguyNXB: It's a usable name, but it's otherwise simple. I believe Pachirisu's species was 'EleSquirrel' and Eelektross 'EleFish', so 'Eleray' would be more like a species name for the design than a name.
  • P3DS: Out of your names, I'd go with Numnus, although neither really stand out to me, I admit. Can you justify how clouds or shrimp have something to do with a manta ray? o3o
  • Dogfish44: 'Micra', hmm. It fits as a diminutive, and it precedes Plasmanta well. Nice!
  • boxofkangaroos: Hmm, I get the idea behind the name, but I don't see pajamas directly in the design. A pillow is even a stretch to me, so the name is rather nonintuitive.
  • Sunfished: You want to name your design Ohmagosh? o3o
  • frenzyplant: Neat mix of words that fits very well alongside Plasmanta. :) It comes off as a 'baby Pokemon' name, and there's no harm in that.
  • MangleyMan: The name is generically acceptable, but I'm not too fond of putting the words side-by-side without a little more mixing unless there's another meaning to it. Is the name solely "bolt" + "ray"?
  • srk1214: I like the portmanteau, and I like your choice of unit of measurement. :) I have nothing else to say.
  • Amitghosh: I can see Game Freak adding your name as a Pokemon's. It blends the root words in rather than sticking them against each other in a way that confers each word but not separately. Nicely done!
  • GoldNinja: Like 'Zingray', there's a bit of energy and slang in the name, and I think it fits for a pre-evo. It is a few letters off from 'Chingling', but there are probably other Pokemon names with similar similarities.
  • Huzzahmaster: Good portmanteau. 'Ray' names can be a bit easy to conjure, but this one works all right.
  • Charniodiscus: I like this. Gammanta leads to Plasmanta very naturally, and the word choice is fitting. :)
  • Animist: Hmm, your name feels a lot like "Plasmanta" + diminutive. Are we saying that the design is a baby Pokemon rather than a regular pre-evo? I could buy that. Munchkin isn't my first word of choice, but I give you points for creativity.

Final Submission

Shoxic

"Shock" and "Toxic"

Pronounced: SHOK-sick

Simple and two words that blend well. The shortness and simpleness of the word reflect the simpleness of the basic stage and the two words reflect the typing well.

Last edited:

Unsee

so smart me, enjoy book so much
is an Artist
Final Submission

Shokxic

"Shock" and "Toxic"

Pronounced: SHOK-sick

Simple and two words that blend well. The shortness and simpleness of the word reflect the simpleness of the basic stage and the two words reflect the typing well.
I'd recommend changing it to "Shoxic," for aesthetic purposes. Not sure if that's possible to edit your final sub now... but I love the name - it's great!

Final Submission

Microscamp

From: Micro = Small; Amp = Measure of electrical current; Scamp = Mischievous, but amusing child. Play on Micro amp (A small division of an Amp)

Pronounced: Micro-Scamp (maɪkroʊɑmp)

Final Submission

Rayawn

"Ray" + "Yawn"

Pronounced: "RAY+orn"

Simple idea, ray being a step down from the big "manta ray", and "yawn" going well with the pillow look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)