Battle Maison Discussion & Records

So, not very experienced with the Maison, but I'm looking to get into it - I have a few fully IV bred mons and a couple of ones that are already EV trained (I also have a 6IV ditto so I can breed new mons fairly easily). I'm looking for a super singles team and am thinking something like this:

Kangaskhan@Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy -> Parental Bond
Nature: Jolly (mostly because I don't have an Adamant parent)
EVs: Undecided. Thinking 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
IVs are perfect except for SpA
-Power-up Punch
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch
-Return
For this I mostly just took VaporeonIce's set because he has a huge streak going on and M-kang is crazy powerful and a good all-around mon.

Metagross@Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
IVs are perfect.
-Ice Punch
-Pursuit
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
This is one I already had EV trained and bred, just using the set from the XY strategy dex. It was off of the mega set, but I think the set is flexible enough not to matter. I'm thinking of switching out Ice Punch or Pursuit for Earthquake and adding some other undecided move as well, so I'm not really sure.

Greninja@Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
IVs are perfect except for Atk
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot
-Dark Pulse
-Hydro Pump
Another pre-trained one. Will probably switch out Hydro Pump for Surf if I want to use this thing in the Maison, and I've attached an Expert Belt because it'll boost most of the moves Greninja uses (that and Life Orb on Metagross).

As you can probably tell, I have no experience in Super Singles (or Super anything, haven't even unlocked them. Is it just 50 streak in regular?), so all critiques are welcome. Right now I'm fairly limited in number of parents with HAs and whatnot (if anyone has spitbacks or anything, I have stuff I can trade you for it in my shop thread in my signature, especially looking for stuff like Entrainment Truant Durant), but here's a quick list of what I do have already bred (also on an AS card, so I can use dexnav and whatnot):
Talonflame (Already trained, running 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spe Adamant Gale Wings, 31 in everything but SpA, Flare Blitz/Brave Bird/Tailwind/Roost)
Charmander (Timid, Blaze, 31 in all but attack, presumably bred for Mega-Zard Y. Got it from Wonder Trade so IDK)
Electrike (Timid, Lighting Rod, Perfect IVs)
Mawile (Adamant, Intimidate, 31s in all but SpA)
Horsea (Modest, Sniper, 31s in all but Atk)
Haxorus (Already Trained, running 16 HP/252 Atk/240 Spe Adamant Mold Breaker, 31 in all but SpA, Poison Jab/Dual Chop/Dragon Dance/Earthquake)
Aegislash (Already Trained, running 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpA Quiet, Perfect IVs (meaning 31 Spe, the one time I don't want it :P), Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon/King's Shield/Sacred Sword)
Gastly (Timid, perfect IVs)
Scyther (Adamant, Technician, perfect IVs in all but SpA. Has Razor Wind and Night Slash egg moves)
Venusaur (Already trained, running Modest Overgrow 252 SpA/252 HP/4 SpD, perfect in all but SpA, Synthesis/Sludge Bomb/Energy Ball/Leech Seed)
And that's it for now. I can breed most everything else fairly easy, but if I need HA or egg moves I'll probably need a parent (unless it's Dexnavable).
If you do use Aegislash, you can run into significant problems with Fire/Fighting types, particularly Emboar 4 (since it doesn't have its stats cut by King's Shield). You can beat them by switching to Aegislash to dodge the Fighting move, then switching to Greninja to tank the Fire move, but that's a little bit iffy. Choice Scarf Darmanitan SHOULD select Superpower against MegaKhan, but if it picks Flare Blitz (which is almost as strong with Sheer Force), you have to sacrifice something to bring in Greninja, who will still take a huge hit.

Electric-types are also a concern; Mega Kangaskhan can beat pretty much all of them, but it still won't like parahax, particularly from the likes of Static Zapdos. Your team doesn't really have any way around any type of status hax. I don't want to just recommend one of the teams already on the leaderboard, though. If your first and primary goal is making it to 50 wins, I might run Choice Band Talonflame over Greninja. Talonflame can easily switch into Fire/Fighting types and KO them with Brave Bird. MegaKhan should beat most Electric-types pretty reliably. You'll still have problems with Terrakion, which is one possible reason for sticking with Greninja.

From my personal bias, I'd probably advocate for the King's Shield/Swords Dance/Sacred Sword/Shadow Sneak Aegislash set. It's really easy to set up against a large variety of opponents thanks to King's Shield's Attack drops and Shield Forme's insane defenses. This is especially true if you run Talonflame, because you can just switch-stall their EQ + Rock move PP. +6 Aegislash isn't a perfect sweeper, but it's a really, really good one. Shadow Sneak also lets you pick off opponents who have been weakened by Talonflame's Brave Bird (most notably, Terrakion).

Good luck!

So, I got a pretty high streak using a Mega Kangaskhan (+ garchomp and gengar), but that's kind of boring, and now I'd like to get over 200 using mega metagross. Can anyone suggest me two pokemon that would work as good team mates for it?

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So, I got a pretty high streak using a Mega Kangaskhan (+ garchomp and gengar), but that's kind of boring, and now I'd like to get over 200 using mega metagross. Can anyone suggest me two pokemon that would work as good team mates for it?
You were leading with PuP Kangaskhan before - since Mega Metagross can't set up in one move and can't prevent enemies from setting up on it (particularly something like Volcarona4), it should be used as a cleaner/switch option instead of a lead. So we're looking for a lead and another switch option to be used in conjunction with a Mega Metagross back-up. A Dragon-type lead is the obvious choice with Metagross's Steel-typing, leading to the third Pokémon being a bulky water to complete the Dragon/Water/Steel core for a team of something such as Dragonite/Suicune/Mega Metagross - resembling StarKO's Dragonite/Suicune/Mega Kangaskhan team, except with MegaGross replacing Kangaskhan.

This looks like the best way to use Mega Metagross in Singles to me - but as a Steel-type it's largely outclassed by Aegislash and Mega Scizor, which both have superior bulk, recovery, typing, and the ability to set up, and for a cleaner switch option Mega Kangaskhan or Greninja seem superior, aside from Metagross's Steel-typing which may be a better fit. Still, I think Dragonite/Suicune/Mega Metagross could get a few hundred wins.

Edit: sniped by SimicCombine, heh. I'm not sold on MegaGross, particularly with its low pre-Mega Speed, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well, my first sizable streak in ORAS has ended, and I've finished with 466 wins in Super Doubles with Dusclops / Aron / Mega Camerupt / Eelektross.

Dusclops @_Eviolite (female)
Trait: Frisk
Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)

-Trick Room
-Night Shade
-Brick Break
-Sunny Day

Stats: 147 / 90 / 182 (273) / 68 / 167 (250) / 27
IVs: 31 / 31 / 31 / X / 31 / 0
EVs: 252 / 0 / 126 / 0 / 132 / 0

--

Aron (level 1) @_Berry Juice (male)
Trait: Sturdy
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

-Protect
-Endeavor
-Toxic
-Sunny Day

Stats: 12 / 5 / 7 / 6 / 5 / 5
IVs: ?
EVs: None

--

After Mega Evolution, you can call the back row "Two Girls, One Hump"

Camerupt @_Cameruptite (female)
Trait: Solid Rock -> Sheer Force
Nature: Quiet (+SpA, -Spe)

-Eruption
-Earth Power
-Solar Beam
-Flamethrower

Stats (before Mega Evolution): 176 / 121 / 91 / 172 / 96 / 40
Stats (after Mega Evolution): 176 / 141 / 121 / 216 / 126 / 22
IVs: 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 0
EVs: 244 / 4 / 4 / 252 / 4 / 0

--

Eelektross @_Assault Vest (female)
Trait: Levivate
Nature: Quiet (+SpA, -Spe)

-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Grass Knot
-Superpower

Stats: 191 / 136 / 101 / 172 / 101 (151) / 49
IVs: 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 /0
EVs: 244 / 4 / 4 / 252 / 4 / 0

The team is basically the same as that discussed here, but with some changes to Eelektross. First, I've switched Eelektross's item from Life Orb to Assault Vest. The Eel's first purpose is tanking hits, while dealing respectable damage is (though important) secondary. Life Orb gets this backwards, and notably weakens my play against bulky (or healing) foes, which can require several attacks to bring down, resulting in excessive recoil.

I've also replaced Discharge with Thunderbolt. Discharge sounds great, being a STAB spread attack that Camerupt is immune to, but sadly, it hasn't pulled its weight. First, it's weak. With the spread attack penalty, Discharge deals only 2/3 as much damage as does Thunderbolt, which is really problematic when it's particularly important to KO one of the foes. Too often I was falling just short of KOs with Discharge that Thunderbolt would have achieved. Second is that Discharge doesn't play well with Dusknoir. When I first imagined the team, my thought was that Camerupt would be my first Pokemon in after Aron fainted in almost every battle, and that Eelektross would usually enter battle only when Camerupt was already in play. But in practice, this wasn't the case. I bring in Eelektross as a conservative switch a lot more often now, especially when I'll need to reset Trick Room the following turn or when I risk switching into a powerful spread move like Earthquake. In such a situation, its really awkward to have your STAB move also hurt Dusclops. The final issue was the high paralysis chance. Paralyzing foes can occasionally let them move first under Trick Room, and in the event Dusknoir is still in, getting paralyzed by Discharge means a chance of it not moving. Over a long streak, this sort of thing could and would bite me, so I made the switch to Thunderbolt

The basic idea of the team is simple. Using Eppie's rather fantastic Aron-abuse combo of Dusclops and Aron, it's usually quite easy to set up Trick Room while the foes attack into a Protecting Aron. From there, Aron can critically wound foes with Endeavor, and Dusclops can pick them off with either Night Shade or Brick Break. When Aron dies, Camerupt can replace it, and usually finish of the battle with an absurdly powerful Eruption or one of its coverage moves.

Lots of things can interfere with this basic plan, however. First turn freezes, confuses, or spread attack flinches can prevent Dusclops from setting up Trick Room. So can OHKO users that decide to attack Dusclops rather than Aron. Endeavor is useless against Ghost-types. Priority attacks can shorten the number of turns Aron can survive to lure and Endeavor things. Protect can cost me a turn of Trick Room time while letting one of the opponents freely beat on Aron. Powerful spread attacks can sometimes wear down Dusclops, even with its tremendous bulk, while also dispatching Aron. Mold Breaker and multi hit attacks break through Sturdy. Hail breaks Sturdy and Berry Juice. Evasion boosters can cause untimely misses. Flame Body and Static can break Sturdy and cause me to miss turns to full paralysis. A Sitrus berry allows certain foes to survive a post-Endeavor Night Shade or Brick Break. And so on, and so on... Thankfully, even with all the things that can go wrong, the team is durable enough to handle most of them. So long as Trick Room is up, even if Aron is defeated, Camerupt can muscle through a ton of foes. Eelektross is a nice bulky catch all, and is very hard to take down, particularly with special attacks. Even without Trick Room support, Eelketross can trade attacks with many foes and come out on top.

There aren't too many fancy tricks with the team, as the basic synergies are pretty self-explanatory, but on a battle-by-battle basis, I'm almost sure that much of the time, I'm playing the team suboptimally. The reason is that unlike in singles, or in my previous long streak with a spread-attack focused triples team, after the initial Trick Room turn, there's a lot of different ways to play things. Let me explain.

As I noted earlier, my usual default is to get Trick Room up and then take foes out one at a time with turn after turn of Endeavor + Night Shade / Brick Break. Assuming no priority or other oddness, this means I kill one foe a turn, and Aron will be KOed after the third foe is removed. Since I can typically choose my targets based upon what will cause the fewest problems for the remainder of my team, the remaining Pokemon is usually something that can be easily handled by Camerupt or Eelektross, especially because I'll still have one turn of Trick Room left as well as support from Dusclops.

Sometimes, I'm forced to deviate from this strategy. A classic example is against two Ghost type foes, where I'm unable to use Endeavor. If the battle starts with one Ghost and one non-Ghost, I'll Trick Room and Protect on the first turn, and then attempt to KO the non-Ghost as usual on the second. If a Ghost is sent out to replace it, Endeavor becomes worthless to me. Accordingly, I'll usually then Protect with Aron and switch Dusclops out for Camerupt, with Aron drawing attacks from both Ghosts. I can then use Aron to set up Sunny Day while Camerupt uses Eruption, which can usually KO or at least badly weaken both foes. Since Aron typically will draw both attacks that turn, too, even if both Ghosts aren't defeated, Camerupt will be well positioned to Erupt again. If one of the Ghosts is a Chandelure, the big Eruption plan is unwise, because of the danger of Flash Fire, so there, it's usually best for Camerupt to first take out Chandelure with Earth Power. If one of the Ghosts is Golurk, switching in Camerupt is very dangerous, since I risk switching into a powerful Earthquake. Accordingly, in that situation, the correct switch-in is Eelktross, who can avoid the Earthquake and KO back with Grass Knot. Eelektross's ability to switch into potential Ground-type attacks lets it handle things that Camerupt can't, and its excellent bulk also means it's great for soaking up attacks on turns where I need to reset Trick Room.

This strategy of taking a "free" switch against double Ghosts raises a simple question, however. Why don't I do this more often? After all, so long as the foes are both going to attack Aron, a quick swap of Dusclops for Camerupt makes a lot of sense, as under Trick Room, Camerupt + Aron sweep a lot more efficiently than Dusclops + Aron, often KOing two foes a turn instead of just one. The answer is straightforward. A lot of the time, such a switch is absolutely correct. But it requires one to be completely sure that the AI isn't going to fire off a spread Surf or Earthquake, an OHKO move, or even sometimes an unusual targeted attack (usually, but not always, super effective) aimed at Dusclops even though it has no chance to OHKO. When I have doubts, or don't want to go through the set lists confirming that the switch is safe, its often easier to just stick with the default Endeavor + Night Shade plan. This works well enough, but means I'm surely not playing optimally in some battles.

There's also the issue of Trick Room turns. If I KO one foe per turn after setting Trick Room on the first turn, I complete the battle within the five turn duration of Trick Room. But misses, Protects, switches, etc. can all result in a battle requiring more turns to complete. The question then becomes whether I should play to make the most productive use of the first Trick Room, or put myself in the best position for the second. My default strategy focuses on maximizing my attacks during the first Trick Room. But some battles, it absolutely makes sense to take a stallier approach. Set Trick Room on the first turn, KO something on the second, Protect stall on the third, KO something on the fourth, Protect stall on the fifth, and reset Trick Room on the sixth, with Aron probably dying this turn, but its luring ability serving to make the second Trick Room much more reliable, and ensuring I have a full four additional turns of Trick Room remaining for the rest of my team to work. Whether it's best to take this stallish approach depends in part on whether or not I'm facing spread attacks, but it also depends heavily on what Pokemon the opponent is using, particularly which Pokemon are in the back row, since Camerupt and Eelktross will be expected to handle at least one of them should I take this approach. The difficulty of course is that up front, it's hard to know what to expect. Accordingly, there's a certain amount of educated guess work involved in whether or not to play a battle in this style. I can pretty much guarantee I've made lots of mistakes in choosing to (or more often not to) take this stallish approach.

There's plenty of other situations where risk assessment becomes complicated. For example, that Latios might be a bit difficult for my teammates to handle, but if I focus on Latios this turn, I risk getting burned by Heatran's attack. I have to weigh the importance of eliminating a known threat to my teammates against the risk of giving a less threatening Pokemon the chance to shut down Aron. That Mold Breaker Excadrill will KO Aron this turn if I don't attack it, but I really want to KO that Garchomp since it's much worse for my teammates, etc. It's easy to make incorrect choices in situations like this, especially since its very hard to properly weigh what sort of threats the foe might have in reserve unless you take a ton of time thinking at every move. Where things get particularly problematic is when there are two such Pokemon out at once. E.g. if I attack Garchomp, I risk getting Sturdy broken by Rough Skin, but if I attack Meganium, I might be met with Protect. The golden rule is to take the line that puts you in the best position in the bad state of the world, but since there's hidden information concerning what other Pokemon the opponent has, and I usually try to play pretty quickly, it's easy to make misjudgments and mistakes.

Things for this team to work on:
1. Perhaps the biggest threats to this team are situations where I'm unable to use Trick Room. Blizzard freezes and Rock Slide flinches are the biggest culprits, but lead OHKO Pokemon sometimes decide to attack Dusclops as well. Flinches are often low-power enough that I can just set Trick Room on the second turn, but Freezes and KOs can shut me out of Trick Room for good. I'm accordingly somewhat tempted to use a back up Trick Room Pokemon in place of Eelektross, but am wary, since Eelektross synergizes so well with Camerupt, has a ton of bulk, and hits reasonably hard.

2. Eruption, Earth Power, and Solar Beam are all pretty obvious choices for Camerupt. The fourth moveslot, however, is a tougher fill. Flamethrower is a powerful STAB move that still hits hard even after Camerupt has taken damage, receives a Sheer Force boost, and plays around Wide Guard. But Camerupt rarely finds itself in the situation where it has taken a bunch of damage but still needs a powerful Fire-type attack, and there are very few set 4 Wide Guard users (Bastiodon, Mienshao, and Regigigas), all of which are handled at least as well by Earth Power. Protect would enable Camerupt to delay while Trick Room gets reset, and then merrily resume smashing things once Trick Room is back in effect. I'm probably going to make this change next time I try the team.

3. Dusclops's EV spread was taken directly from Eppie's team, and has served well enough, but can surely be improved upon. At some point, I should take the time to figure out exactly how I want to bias it.

4. Once Aron is KOed, the team is rather soft to Dragon-types. Superpower has been okay but not amazing on Eelektross, and there's a strong argument for replacing it with HP Ice. Thankfully, IVs of 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 0 yield HP Ice, so this wouldn't require rebreeding.

A few random pieces of advice:

As much as possible, try not to have Camerupt in play on a turn where you need to reset Trick Room. The camel is bulky, but Water- and Ground- type attacks are really common, and even when Camerupt survives, Eruption is heavily weakened. When I expect myself to have to reset Trick Room, I try to bring in Eelektross first, as it is much better at tanking attacks on turns without Trick Room. Sometimes I'll instead switch Camerupt out for Eelektross while I reset Trick Room. Naturally, this issue can be avoided by using Protect in place of Flamethrower in the fourth slot.

The safest time to attack a Protect user is the turn after it used Protect.

Even though Fake Out Pokemon often chose to attack Aron with another move, to be safe, it's best to use Protect the first turn a Fake Out user is in battle.

Sunny Day is not only amazing for boosting Camerupt's attacks; it is also a wonderful defense against hail. A lead Abomasnow is going to cause problems, since if you want to set Trick Room, Aron is going to have to either switch out, get hailed on, or forgo Protect to use Sunny Day. But against a switched-in Abomasnow, just have Aron Protect and Dusclops use Sunny Day, and you've solved the entire hail issue, at the cost of one turn of Trick Room.

On the subject of Sunny Day, remember that the turn Camerupt Mega Evolves, it will still have its higher non-Mega Speed, meaning Dusclops will outspeed it under Trick Room. This lets Dusclops use Sunny Day that turn while still giving Camerupt the weather benefit for its attack.

I mentioned it offhand earlier, but this deserves being noted directly. Occaisonally, foes will attack Dusclops with attacks that will NOT KO it, even when such attacks would KO Aron. This typically happens with super effective Ghost-type moves, but happened at least once with a non-Super Effective attack. I'm not sure what the exact AI trigger for this is (it seemed a bit random) but the AI preference for KOs is not absolute.

JNWW-WWWW-WWWL-5CMP

Versus Madame Arabella Lead Noivern + Poison Heal Breloom, Reserve Whiscash + Golurk

Turn 1. I set Trick Room, Breloom Substitutes.
Turn 2. I kill Noivern, Breloom Focus Punches Aron, Berry Juice gone.
Turn 3. Golurk enters. I Endeavor the Substitute and Night Shade, stopping Focus Punch. Golurk Hammer Arms, breaking Sturdy and slowing itself down.
Turn 4. Breloom Protects, blocking my attacks. Golurk Earthquakes, KOing Aron and damaging Dusclops.
Turn 5. I send in Eelektross. Dusclops Night Shades, Dusclops eats a Shadow Punch, Eelektross Grass Knots, KOing Golurk. Breeloom Substitutes. Trick Room fades.
Turn 6. Whiscash enters. Whiscash KOs Dusclops with Fissure. Grass Knot doesn't even do 50% to Whiscash (whoops!), Focus Punch takes Eelktross down to 46 HP.
Turn 7. I send out Camerupt. Breloom Protects. Whiscash KOs Camerupt with Fissure. Grass Knot takes Whiscash into the red.
Turn 8. Game over.

Some videos of things going a bit wrong, but working out in the end. These are subject to removal once I start uploading more teams.

406: Latios is a pain, I get a little too cute with Sunny Day early, expecting to priority to finish of Aron, when I could have gotten off another Endeavor. SK9G-WWWW-WWWL-5MXS
402: Lead Walrein4 KOs Dusclops, preventing Trick Room. RMSG-WWWW-WWWL-5M9Q
363: Unremarkable battle, except Victreebell chooses to Solar Beam Dusclops, with no chance of a KO. S56G-WWWW-WWWL-5MH5
339: First turn confusion messes up Dusclops, but I win without Trick Room. CEQG-WWWW-WWWL-5MT2
334: Unremarkable battle, except Skuntank decides to Night Slash Dusclops, with no chance of a KO. 9KDG-WWWW-WWWL-5N23
245: Three ghosts and a Slowbro. Double ghost strategy with some added wrinkles. U9YG-WWWW-WWXF-BJ9Y

Here are all the teams I used to get to at least 50 wins. I'll add any battle vids I have of the X teams but I finished them last March so I deleted most of the replays over time. I also do not remember most of the streaks unless I saved the replay of the loss since I had used clone/gimmick teams since with higher streaks. The only really long streak I had was 729 Wins in Triples which I have more details on below.

X/Y TEAMS

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Multiscale
4Hp / 252Atk / 252Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Azumarril @ Assault Vest
Huge Power
252Hp / 252Atk / 4Spe
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough

Kangaskahn @ Mega Stone
Scrappy -> Parental Bond
4Hp / 252Atk / 252Spe
- Dizzy Punch
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch

Everyone knows what these 3 do, it was my first team in the Maison so I wasn't being creative. All I was really after with this team was learning how the Ai "thinks" and obtaining BP. I had Dizzy Punch>Return because I didn't want to be bothered with happiness at the time and yay confusion hax.

Battle Videos:
#122 The Power of Azul SPDW-WWWW-WWWL-WNYZ
#50 Boss Fight VHMG-WWWW-WWWL-WMUM

Leads

Garchomp @ Yache Berry/Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Rough Skin
4Hp / 252Atk / 252Spe
- Dragon Claw
- Rockslide
- Earthquake
- Protect

Standard Garchomp does standard things, seriously you can slap one about any team and you know what to expect. I swapped the Yache out for the Focus Sash or a Lum Berry a few times just because I couldn't make my mind up.

Charizard-Y @ Mega Stone
Blaze -> Drought
4Hp / 252SpA / 252Spe
- Heatwave
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash
- Protect

Zard Y sets sun up and along side Garchomp could reliable kill both my opponents leads on turn 1 with Heatwave and EQ in most matches. in the matches I couldn't pull off the double K.O. Garchomp and Zard covered each others weaknesses nicely.

Backups

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Intimidate
252Hp / 212Atk / 44Def
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

I love Scrafty, if I could've gotten my hands on one with Knock Off that I knew was legal I would've used it but even without Knock Off the Fake Out + Intimidate support makes it worth a team slot. Scrafty was my normal switch out for Zard if something like Aerodactyl was out that would destroy Zard but is laughable to Scrafty's bulk.

Victreebell @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Nature: Mild
Chlorophyll
104Atk / 252SpA / 152Spe
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off

Victreebell was used as a mixed wall breaker which I thought would be more useful then Venasaur. The Spread was used for max power and the speed...I don't honestly remember what speed marker it was used to pass but it was the spread from gen 4 just with the Hp dumped in attack. The item changed a lot just like Garchomp.

The best streak I had with this team after 3 tries was only like in the 130s I honestly do not remember and I had deleted the video with the loss.

I also used a Aron TR team to get a 238 streak but its not worth posting since its practically a clone team, I just wanted to try it.

Leads

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Protein
4Hp / 252SpA / 252Spe
- Mat Block
- Ice Beam
- U-Turn -> Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse

Mat Block is so good vs AI usually providing a free 1st turn. I was using U-Turn to double U-Turn alongside Talonflame to reset Mat Block but Grass Knot is so much better. This Greninja was also my 1st 6v breed so it has some sentimental value.

Blastoise @ Mega Stone
Nature: Modest
Torrent -> Mega Launcher
4Hp / 252SpA / 252Spe
- Water Spout
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Protect

Originally I was going to use Jellicent in this spot but then I saw Blastoise got Water Spout and I was sold. Water Spout Destroys about anything the other 2 moves are solid coverage.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Gale Wings
4Hp / 252Atk / 252Spe
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn

Talonflame was chosen for the awesome priority Tailwind as well as having the power to finish off weakened targets anywhere on the field with BB. U-Turn is usually used to bring Greninja back in after swapping it out to reset Mat Block.

Backups

Hitmontop @ Sitrus Berry
Intimidate
252Hp / 252Atk / 4Spe
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Bullet Punch -> Aerial Ace

I knew I wanted intimidate and fake out support so on this team I chose Hitmontop due to its reliable damage output thanks to close combat. Rockslide is for flinches and is easy to abuse under tailwind since every poke on this team other then Talon has a move that can flinch. Bullet punch wasn't doing enough damage so I swapped it for Aerial Ace to deal with Double Team and hit across the field.

Rotom-H @ White Herb
Levitate
252Hp / 252SpA / 4Spe
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Protect

Rotom is the 2nd bulkier slow Pokemon incase I couldn't stop my opponents trick room, since most teams that run TR are not true TR teams Hitmontop and Rotom could often "out speed" them and keep the battle in my favor. White Herb was chosen so I could Overheat without having to worry about the Special Attack drop and honestly it just worked.

Krookodile @ Life Orb
Intimidate
4Hp / 252Atk / 252Spe
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Taunt
- Rock Slide

Krookodile was a huge factor to this teams success even though it was the last Poke I chose. I wanted Taunt, a strong Ground type, and a second Intimidate user for artificial bulk so Krookodile just fit the bill perfectly.

So there is my team, I never expected it to do as well as it did since I built it in about 10 mins. The only reason I "lost" was because I fell asleep while playing but honestly I was glad to be done since it stopped being fun for me at around 500 wins.

Battle Vids:
#125 TR the TR because of TR HXMW-WWWW-WWWL-WZ5D
#500 NO TR FOR YOU! TPAG-WWWW-WWWL-WNFL

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Water Absorb
252Hp / 252Def / 4SpA
- Scald
- Wish
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Wish Support is amazing in rotations and Vaporeon can wear down teams fairly well with Scald+Ice Beam.

Aegislash @ Spooky Plate
Nature: Quiet
Stance Change
156Hp / 100Atk / 252SpA
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Kings Shield

Aegislash is a ton of fun in rotations thanks to Kings Shield, I went mixed because I thought it would be a good way to wear down walls.

Kangaskahn @ Mega Stone
Scrappy -> Parental Bond
4Hp / 252Atk / 252Spe
- Dizzy Punch
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch

Mega Mom is just such a great poke I didn't see a reason not to use it on another team. Aegislash and to a lesser extent Gliscor help cover the fighting weakness which helps a lot. Vaporeon's wish keeps it healthy while boosting with Power-Up Punch and Dizzy Punch helped a few times via hax.

Backup

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Nature: Impish
Poison Heal
244Hp / 40Def / 224Spe
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect

I wanted to try something a little different then the Sub Toxic set but even though knock off helped a few times the other set probably would've worked just as well if not better.

I only got 80ish wins with this team which surprised me after how smooth 1-50 was but also looking back at these vids I was still really bad at this point.

Battle Videos:
#50 Boss Fight QRVG-WWWW-WWWL-WN7J
#51 FOOL! RRNG-WWWW-WWWL-XX5F
#74 Vaporeon's Bulk is Real HUJW-WWWW-WWWL-XXXL

I tried really hard to get this with the Ai even reaching 45+ 9 TIMES for after losing on battle 48 for the 3rd time I gave up and got some assistance from an IRL friend. We used my team doubles except I traded out Victreebell for Venasaur.

My team: Garchomp+Scrafty
Friend's team: Zard Y+Venasaur

Venasaur @ Life Orb
Chlorophyll
4Hp / 252SpA / 252Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- HP (Fire)
- Protect

ORAS TEAMS

I REALLY thought I saved all the #50 battles but apparently not, anyways here are the teams.

Scizor @ Mega Stone
Technician
244Hp / 252Atk / 12Spe
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

I really needed some BP to start buying items/tutor moves so I decided that since I already had Scizorite from my play through that is give Mega Scizor a go. I used Jumpman16's spread and set because it obviously worked well for them and I just wanted to get the ball rolling. My one error while using Scizor was that I had no idea how many pokes in the Maison had random bs fire type attacks like Incinerate.

Azumarril @ Assault Vest
Huge Power
252Hp / 252Atk / 4Spe
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Power-Up Punch

Until I got enough BP for the vest I was using a Sitrus Berry which still worked rather well. I used the same Azu on my first singles team so I felt comfortable just slapping it on this team as well since it does have good type synergy.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Nature: Jolly
Rough Skin
4Hp / 252Atk / 252Spe
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Fang

Chompers has good Synergy with the first 2 pokes on my team and is in general one of the most reliable Pokemon in the game. The set is pretty standard stuff for a very standard poke.

Mega Swampert Rain
I have already posted this team one time but I'm just making the post uniform. In other news this team is currently sitting at 265 wins!

Leads

Swampert @ Mega Stone
Torrent -> Swift Swim
4Hp / 252Atk / 252Spe
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Protect

As soon as I saw that my favorite gen 3 starter was getting a Mega I knew I wanted to make a team with it. I don't see any reason to run a different set, Protect is a must to receive the speed boost on turn 2 in most fights, Waterfall+EQ are the obvious stabs and Ice Punch rounds off the coverage nicely.

Politoad @ Choice Scarf
Drizzle
4Hp / 252SpA / 252Spe
- Scald
- Hidden Power (Grass)
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Pretty standard rain setter stuff here. Choice Scarf because the speed is often needed. I chose Scald>Hydro Pump because 1 I don't like to miss and 2 even though you should never rely on hax the random burns are nice. Rain Dance is for facing other weather setters which is a huge help even though I either have to switch it out or just let it die afterwards. I'm considering Perish Song>HP Grass since I never really use it and Perish Song could kill or force switches on annoying Double team pokes and other pokes like that. I would REALLY like to know from someone who has used Perish Song in the Maison how the Ai handles it before I make that change though.

Backups

Thunderous-T @ Focus Sash
Volt Absorb
4Hp / 252SpA / 252Spe
- Thunder
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot
- Protect

Originally this was going to be a Zapdos but I really wanted a safe electric switch in for politoad while having atleast one poke immune to Swampert EQs. After seeing how similar to Syndrome445's rain team was I thought I'd give Thunderous a go. I chose timid for speed and Dark pulse because I thought it would be a good move to have since it Hits common TR pokes and the Lati twins for super effective damage.

Scizor @ Lum Berry
Technician
244Hp / 252Atk / 12Spe
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Scizor kills Storm Drain Cradily... Yup that is its true purpose on this team as well as being a pretty safe switch into any grass attack. The set is very standard because standard Scizor is good, especially in rain. The Evs are from Jumpman16's Mega Scizor since I tried it out for my super singles trophy, I considered more speed but the low speed helps my TR matchup and the bulk is nice.

This team is the best I've ever done in doubles though I cannot stress enough how lucky I have been throughout this streak, the Hax Gods have smiled upon this team many times.

Threats:
Storm Drain Cradily
Trace Gardevior (If it gets Swift Swim which has happened to me twice, very scary with energy ball)
Opposing Weather

Battle Videos:
#142 Shuckle Kills Mega Swamp M84-WWWW-WWWL-XCYG
#144 I Should Have Lost FSWG-WWWW-WWWL-XGCZ
#243 Bad Turn 1, Still Win LBEG-WWWW-WWWL-XCZT

Same as X/Y because I was too lazy to make another team I did change Rock Slide on Hitmontop to Helping Hand because I thought it may be more Helpful and Crunch->Knock Off on Krookodile.

Physical Mega Mence Team

Scizor @ Lum Berry
Technician
244Hp / 252Atk / 12Spe
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Protect

Same Scizor from singles just with Protect>Roost to scout and receive Wishes, I have this guy in the front to bait weak fire attacks so Salamence can get a free sub up. Scizor takes care of ice types as well as fast frail pokes that like to status like Gengar.

Salamence @ Mega Stone
Moxie -> Aerilate
4Hp / 252Atk / 252Spe
- Return
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Mega Mence is amazing, no need to lock into Outrage anymore when Return hits even harder with none of the drawbacks. Sub is needed to block status and eases prediction in general which is a huge help in Rotations. I used Moxie because I thought it might be useful and I was wrong, Intimidate would've been much much better especially for setting up subs.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Pixilate
244Hp / 252Def / 12Spe
- Wish
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Sylveon is one of the best support pokes possible, it has high HP + Good typing + Great move pool. Pixilate Hypervoice OHKOs an amazing amount of Pokemon even with no investment which allows me to wear down teams without hurting my sweepers. Heal Bell may seem like overkill between Sub and Lum but it has proven useful since nothing kills a sweep faster then a random status.

Backup

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Flash Fire
4HP / 252SpA / 252Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flame Thrower
- Energy Ball
- Taunt

Chandy was thrown in because I just wanted a Special Attacker with good coverage and I thought I'd be able to use Flash Fire to keep Scizor safe which never happened. Still it did decent at its job though I'm definitely going to tweak this team some before continuing the streak, any suggestions are welcome.

Special Mega Mence
I had Steven stone as my partner because he really is the best option.

Lead

Scrafty @ Lum Berry
Intimidate
252Hp / 212Atk / 44Def
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Taunt

Scrafty is an amazing partner for either of Stevens pokes providing valuable fake out support and just being awesome. Metagross also does a great job of covering Scrafty's weaknesses.

Backup

Salamence @ Mega Stone
Intimidate -> Aerilate
4Hp / 252SpA / 252Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Draco Meteor

I really wanted to try a Special Mega Mence after having so much fun with the physical variant. It did OK in the 6 fights Scrafty actually fainted in but I think I will replace it with something else before trying to build this streak.

Battle Vids:
#50 Boss FIGHT XKJW-WWWW-WWWL-XC8Q

turskain

The Laney, nice trophy runs. The AI switches out of Perish Song when the count reaches 1 (on the turn on which it would reach 0).

The possibility of Chandelure's Flash Fire keeping Scizor safe from Fire attacks is exciting. Not sure if that works against the rotations AI like Lightning Rod/Storm Drain does in Doubles and Triples, howewer - but I have a Volcarona battle video I can test it with.

The Laney, nice trophy runs. The AI switches out of Perish Song when the count reaches 1 (on the turn on which it would reach zero 0).

The possibility of Chandelure's Flash Fire keeping Scizor safe from Fire attacks is exciting. Not sure if that works against the rotations AI like Lightning Rod/Storm Drain does in Doubles and Triples, howewer - but I have a Volcarona battle video I can test it with.

Thanks, Flash Fire doesn't draw in the attack so you still have to rotate around or switch but generally if its an option the Ai will go straight for the x4 effective move.

Thanks for the info on perish song if they wait till the count goes to 1 to swap out it may be worth using just to phase out the double team users or if I can kill the team mates before then maybe force the KO. Zapdos is really my biggest fear with the double team users which I have to rely on thunderous to handle in most situations but that also requires rain so it is a bit tricky to time the switches.

Last edited:
NoCheese , that is awesome. Camerupt + Eelektross breaking 400 wins is amazing. It's nice to know that, while it was somewhat mild, there was at least SOME bullshit in your loss (the AI's very timely use of Protect + Breloom had Poison Heal + consecutive Fissure hits). One thing that's kind of a pain about OHKO users (particularly Walrein 4, who has no other moves) for the Dusclops + Aron lead combo is that, thanks to Aron's Sturdy, they should ALWAYS target Dusclops. Lati@s 1 seems like a particularly massive pain (especially as a back-up) because only Aron can hurt it significantly, and even then you're relying on avoiding Lax Incense misses. I wish I could watch your battle videos; unfortunately, I'll have to wait until I get Omega Ruby.

Congrats!

NoCheese

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Updated through here.

I'm intrigued by a couple of things about your triples team, The Laney. First is your Hitmontop. I went through a lot of thought on my options for something that could provide Fake Out + Wide Guard support on my similar triples squad, and ended up settling on Mienshao. Hitmontop has a lot of appeal however. It's slower, but has access to two much better (for Triples at least) abilities and a more reliable STAB attack (HJK is too inaccurate, and Low Kick, though decent, is weak against a lot of things). Well worth considering for future teams.

The other thing I note is your use of U-turn on Talonflame. The final moveslot on triples Talonflame has always seemed underutilized to me. Tailwind, Brave Bird, and Flare Blitz all get a lot of use, but I use Protect a whole bunch less, making U-turn appealing, even without the fun games you can play with a switched out Greninja. Conversely, SimicCombine has suggested Quick Guard as a means of fighting Fake Out, and given how rarely I used Protect, it also seems a general improvement, even if it only is used occasionally.

The option I'm considering at the moment, however, is Sunny Day. Playing around with Mega Camerupt and Sunny Day in doubles really got me high on the power of the Sun, and conveniently, Sunny Day slides wonderfully into that last slot on Talonflame. (Oh, if only it learned Rain Dance...)

A triples front row of Greninja / Typhlosion / Talonflame, with an expectation of Mat Block + Eruption + Tailwind the first turn and Attack + Eruption + Sunny Day (eved to make sure Sunny Day is faster) the second seems quite strong. Naturally, one would have to be a little careful around Chlorophyll and Flash Fire foes, but Typhlosion is fast enough that with Tailwind support, it should still be able to outspeed most Chlorophyll users, and there's always the option to decline to set Sunny Day when it's not needed, which should be frequent, given the raw power of first and second turn Eruption. After Sunny Day, you're hitting harder than Mega Blastoise, and you even get to hold an item. My suspicion is that all in Choice Specs will be best, but Charcoal or even (despite its anti-synergy with Eruption) Life Orb should have some play, especially since you can take advantage of things like Solar Beam in the Sun. Better yet, you free up your mega slot, leaving all sorts of fun back row options available. Hyper Voice Mega Gardevoir, anyone? I suspect I'm going to stick with doubles for a bit before giving triples another run, but this is an idea I would love to theorymon and play around with more later on.

turskain

It doesn't draw in the attack so you still have to rotate around or switch but generally if its an option the Ai will go straight for the x4 effective move.
Just tested it to be sure - the AI seems to continue using Fire attacks even after Flash Fire activates after you rotate (tested with a random Heatran + Aegislash + Gastrodon I scraped for a mock battle). It's still an useful immunity and the boost is nice if you can get it, but a lot of Fire attackers also resist Fire or may have Flash Fire themselves so it might not be enough to justify using a Flash Fire Pokémon over other options.

NoCheese Edit: ErupTran would be preferable for a Tailwind-supported Eruption user, but if it's not available it can't be helped (I don't have one, either). The more easily available Entei would have more bulk as well - though the power difference between Modest Entei and Modest Typhlosion might be considerable without Sun on Turn 1. Donphan is going to distrupt the gig and require switching or liberal use of Protect (if it's within striking distance for Greninja) with its OHKO on both Talonflame and Typhlosion. I like the sound of that setup, though.

NoCheese Edit 2: for a move to target Latios with on Eelektross, Knock Off would deal more damage on the turn it removes the item than HP Ice even without Attack investment. HP Ice would be useful for other Dragons, howewer. Running HP Ice as the 4th move on Camerupt could also be an option for that purpose.

VaporeonIce Edit: the AI may or may not use OHKO moves on Aron. I haven't played the strategy myself, but from what I've gathered them targeting Aron and triggering Sturdy is possible (not sure if they keep doing that after seeing the ability), but they can also target Dusclops on occasion.

Last edited:

NoCheese

NoCheese , that is awesome. Camerupt + Eelektross breaking 400 wins is amazing. It's nice to know that, while it was somewhat mild, there was at least SOME bullshit in your loss (the AI's very timely use of Protect + Breloom had Poison Heal + consecutive Fissure hits). One thing that's kind of a pain about OHKO users (particularly Walrein 4, who has no other moves) for the Dusclops + Aron lead combo is that, thanks to Aron's Sturdy, they should ALWAYS target Dusclops. Lati@s 1 seems like a particularly massive pain (especially as a back-up) because only Aron can hurt it significantly, and even then you're relying on avoiding Lax Incense misses. I wish I could watch your battle videos; unfortunately, I'll have to wait until I get Omega Ruby.

Congrats!
Thank you kindly!

Interestingly, sometimes OHKO users would still try to target Aron with an OHKO move, despite Sturdy, even with other attacking options available. Donphan4 was particularly guilty of this. I don't think the AI recognizes that Sturdy blocks OHKO moves completely. Donphan4's ruined enough streaks that I don't feel too bad, though.

NoCheese

ErupTran would be preferable for a Tailwind-supported Eruption user, but if it's not available it can't be helped (I don't have one, either). The more easily available Entei would have more bulk as well - though the power difference between Modest Entei and Modest Typhlosion might be considerable without Sun on Turn 1. Donphan is going to distrupt the gig and require switching or liberal use of Protect (if it's within striking distance for Greninja) with its OHKO on both Talonflame and Typhlosion. I like the sound of that setup, though.
Yeah, ErupTran would probably be a better fit in general, but like you, I sadly don't have one. There's also the issue that ErupTran can only be Quiet. With 252 Speed EVs, it maxes at 116 Speed before Tailwind, and 232 Speed afterwards. This outspeeds most of the Maison, but Manectric4, Entei3, and Terrakion2 will outspeed it even under Tailwind. Terrakion seems particularly problematic, and AI Entei can have Flash Fire, so the Speed issue is quite relevant. But to be sure, it's very possible to build around three specific threats, and against everything else, ErupTran seems better.

Edit: I completely forgot about the possibility of using Entei myself. Good call there!!

Last edited:
Updated through here.

I'm intrigued by a couple of things about your triples team, The Laney. First is your Hitmontop. I went through a lot of thought on my options for something that could provide Fake Out + Wide Guard support on my similar triples squad, and ended up settling on Mienshao. Hitmontop has a lot of appeal however. It's slower, but has access to two much better (for Triples at least) abilities and a more reliable STAB attack (HJK is too inaccurate, and Low Kick, though decent, is weak against a lot of things). Well worth considering for future teams.

The other thing I note is your use of U-turn on Talonflame. The final moveslot on triples Talonflame has always seemed underutilized to me. Tailwind, Brave Bird, and Flare Blitz all get a lot of use, but I use Protect a whole bunch less, making U-turn appealing, even without the fun games you can play with a switched out Greninja. Conversely, SimicCombine has suggested Quick Guard as a means of fighting Fake Out, and given how rarely I used Protect, it also seems a general improvement, even if it only is used occasionally.

The option I'm considering at the moment, however, is Sunny Day. Playing around with Mega Camerupt and Sunny Day in doubles really got me high on the power of the Sun, and conveniently, Sunny Day slides wonderfully into that last slot on Talonflame. (Oh, if only it learned Rain Dance...)

A triples front row of Greninja / Typhlosion / Talonflame, with an expectation of Mat Block + Eruption + Tailwind the first turn and Attack + Eruption + Sunny Day (eved to make sure Sunny Day is faster) the second seems quite strong. Naturally, one would have to be a little careful around Chlorophyll and Flash Fire foes, but Typhlosion is fast enough that with Tailwind support, it should still be able to outspeed most Chlorophyll users, and there's always the option to decline to set Sunny Day when it's not needed, which should be frequent, given the raw power of first and second turn Eruption. After Sunny Day, you're hitting harder than Mega Blastoise, and you even get to hold an item. My suspicion is that all in Choice Specs will be best, but Charcoal or even (despite its anti-synergy with Eruption) Life Orb should have some play, especially since you can take advantage of things like Solar Beam in the Sun. Better yet, you free up your mega slot, leaving all sorts of fun back row options available. Hyper Voice Mega Gardevoir, anyone? I suspect I'm going to stick with doubles for a bit before giving triples another run, but this is an idea I would love to theorymon and play around with more later on.

I considered Meinshao as well for my team but I was worried about how frail it is and I wanted to have some pokes in the back that I wasn't scared to switch in if I needed too. I was suprised at how much Hitmontop and Rotom still out speed just due to Tailwind.

The Sunny Day option seems like a good idea, I'm not too much of a fan of quick guard since Fake Outs are fairly predictable and I've never really had a hard time playing around them. I thought about using a Scarfed Eruption Typhlosion with Zard Y but the plan seems a lot more solid with Talonflames support since it will allow use a of different item so you can protect and change moves as needed (Charcoal or Wise Glasses maybe?).

... And the lack of having a ground type to pair with Suicune reminded me how much of a pain Starmie4 is. Outspeeds Megagross, then 3 out of 4 hits flinched, and that's all she wrote. I guess Thunderpunch deserves a slot.

Interestingly, sometimes OHKO users would still try to target Aron with an OHKO move, despite Sturdy, even with other attacking options available. Donphan4 was particularly guilty of this. I don't think the AI recognizes that Sturdy blocks OHKO moves completely. Donphan4's ruined enough streaks that I don't feel too bad, though.
One thing that's kind of a pain about OHKO users (particularly Walrein 4, who has no other moves) for the Dusclops + Aron lead combo is that, thanks to Aron's Sturdy, they should ALWAYS target Dusclops.
the AI may or may not use OHKO moves on Aron. I haven't played the strategy myself, but from what I've gathered them targeting Aron and triggering Sturdy is possible (not sure if they keep doing that after seeing the ability), but they can also target Dusclops on occasion.
The AI takes note of Sturdy, but only after it´s activated.
I´ve posted about that here and here.

Last edited:
The Maison has an odd way of apologizing for screwing me.

After trading over 150 pokes to ORAS and getting the Supers unlocked, gearing up Kalos pokes with tutor moves and so on, I'd finally been able to begin my TR randomness. A lot of Set 1-3 trainers are so bad that losing before 41 is pretty rare, but it actually happened last night. A Furisode Girl with a lead Glaceon 3, which some might recall is Sashed. It activated on turn one and used Hail, and my heart filled with dread once I saw its HP remain unchanged at the end of the turn. Aaaaand it dodged four consecutive attacks over two turns as none of my minions could kill it, at least not in time for Blizzard to do extensive damage. Added to that a Vappy3 getting an accuracy drop from Muddy Water, a drop that proved crucial as it spared partner Leafeon from a KO, allowing it to destroy my weakened Crawdaunt and essentially seal my fate (my other important muscle had already been slain.) Her remaining pokes did nothing that would be considered productive were it not for completely wasted turns trying to kill Glaceon and its awful freezing damage spread, so the turns they spent actually attacking were still often too much for me to handle.

But whatever. Glaceon has been the bane of my existence since Gen V Subway, so I was much more disappointed than angry.

And then the game responds by just utterly refusing to give the AI a bone during my second streak, leg 41-50, where they repeatedly missed attacks on a M-Heracross they badly needed killed (while I recklessly avoided Protect for the purpose of securing KOs), and the following battle where two of my pokes remained confused over multiple turns yet never hit themselves, which when combined with a +3/3 Glaceon and that same steroid abusing Heracross, quickly pushed the battles to points where the AI emerging victorious was just statistically impossible.

Added to that the enemy placement over the majority of the 50 battles was often heavily skewed in my favor, at least considering my teams were pretty damn subpar:

1-10: Dusknoir/Luxray/Carracosta/M-Banette/Bronzong/Clawitzer
11-20: Musharna/M-Steelix/Dragalge/Porygon2/Vespiquen/Magnezone
21-29: Musharna/Tyrantrum/M-Sableye/Flareon/Crawdaunt/Probopass

1-10: Bronzong/Conkeldurr/M-Ampharos/Ursaring/Vanilluxe/Goodra
11-20: Cofagrigus/M-Altaria/Bisharp/Honchkrow/Mamoswine/Musharna
21-30: Regigigas/Cresselia/Bisharp/M-Banette/Metagross/Probopass
31-40: Claydol/M-Gyarados/Ferrothorn/Aggron/Tangrowth/Mamoswine
41-50: Jellicent/M-Heracross/Glaceon/Mamoswine/Reuniclus/Vanilluxe

Well, actually, I'm being just a tad harsh. The second team of the doomed streak was insane and my pokes almost never fainted, and Mega Sableye is surprisingly hard to kill behind that crystal, and does a lot of carrying. The third team of the doomed streak sucked from the perspective of switching options, since I basically had none, but if they failed to KO Tyrantrum on turn one and Crawdaunt was able to enter clean, it was smooth sailing.

That Regigigas team blew my mind. On paper it looked like hands down the worst roll I'd ever gotten, and yet they handled their fucking business. Reggie fainted only twice over ten battles, Cresselia once, and the others weren't really pulling Reggie's weight, either, not to say they weren't important. Reggie is only in the pool to begin with because a handful of good TR abusers have moves that lift Slow Start, and I prefer playing my luck and change to streaks that eventually succumb to monotony.

I expected the Claydol team to perform terribly due to lack of switching options, but I underestimated the value of a combination of Intimidate, Claydol's bulk, M-Gyarados' type change, and what seems to be a trend of the AI preferring to target a mega evo when it runs its internal calcs and realises it has no immediate OHKOs. Claydol was never hit more than once during the opening turn because of this, and Gyarados actually has safe switching for the attacks it baits- Mamoswine for lightning, and Aggron for rocks, though more often than not it was safe for me to just evolve and kill something.

Edit: On second thought, really, apart from the examples explicitly mentioned (losing team, Reggie and Claydol) the other teams were not all that bad. Odd, but they all had good coverage and none of them had any matchups resulting in failure to set TR, though the Altaria team was terrorized by a Shuckle that would have resulted in a loss had my luck not turned around once it was gone.

Weakness Policy Glaceon continues to impress me. Instead of my usual Baton Pass set I was using Work Up/Shadow Ball/Frost Breath/Stored Power, and the latter two moves proved to be extremely useful against CM leads and later turns when it easily survived a STABless Focus Blast or something due to natural bulk.

I have replays of battles 47-50, but that's only because the first two battles were handed to me on a platter by screwing the AI repeatedly and look hilariously rigged, while the latter two were basically joke teams for being past the 41 threshhold. Dana didn't even lead Registeel or Zapdos, the only two that could have haxed Jellicent to death, and whenever something DID hit Jellicent, Cursed Body said fuck you and disabled it. Nice, too, because Regirock's flinchy Rock Slide outsped M-Heracross under TR, so it was nice to leave it with much worse options.

I'm strongly considering letting the next (or first, for that matter) truly solid and synergetic team run for at least 200 battles, since broadening my pool of flunkies to include a ton of fun as opposed to utilitarian things has, admittedly, all but guaranteed most teams are bad and function just as heavily on luck as they otherwise would on pure numbers or trying to outplay the AI. I'd like such a team to include Camerupt if possible. :)

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for the tips, I've broken into Super Singles recently, and am currently on 16, using M-Kang/Aegislash/Greninja, and I haven't run into any major snags so far (M-Kang has swept just about everything by itself), but that's why I'm here: when I do, how do I save the video so it can be posted here?
Edit: Do you save it as a battle video then upload that code? Oh well, guess I'll find out soon enough :P
Edit2: And find out I did. Battle 20 (or me playing really stupidly): TM4G-WWWW-WWWL-MP84
The first mistake here was trying to keep Mega-Khan on Hawlucha, assuming it would outspeed Hawlucha. I really should have switched to Aegislash and played it safe. The rest of it was damage control, which admittedly worked fine until Whiscash came out. The Chesto-rest strategy along with its bulk allowed it to KO Greninja and Aegislash. I might have had a chance has I chosen to use Shadow Ball over Flash Cannon (I thought it would be SE, not NVE >_>), and then used King's Shield twice in a row in hopes to allow Leftovers to heal me enough to survive one attack and KO in return. So, live and learn, next time I'll be smarter :P. Team details are a page or two back, using the pre-trained Aegislash with leftovers, as well as Surf over Hydro Pump and Extrasensory over Grass Knot on Greninja (Not sure whether or not it was a good decision - Mega-Khan handles most things, even fighting types with its absurd power, and Aegislash can handle fighting types pretty well. I think for now it'll be just a matter of learning what does and doesn't threaten Mega-Khan, and to consult the list if I have an iffy judgement call (wasn't really using it due to thinking it wasn't as big a deal before battle 41). At least this happened at battle 20, and not battle 40 or 49, though, so building a streak back won't be too hard.

Last edited:
Got all 5 of my trophies for ORAS. Time to go get some berries.

lordy that is unnecessarily large.
Singles: Durant Mega Pinsir Garchomp
Doubles: Aron Grenina Mega Kang Togekiss
Triples: Eppie's XY trips team http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-32#post-5049375
Rotation: Fatty McFat Cat's wonderful XY team http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-34#post-5073273
Multi: My Greninja Mega Kang Steven's Aerodactyl Mega Metagross

Last edited:
I thought it'd be fun and easy to quickly breed a Weedle to give Megadrill a spin in Super Multis, my second favorite format, but after running calcs against the long list of things that check it, I'm afraid it wouldn't be worth the mega slot and depends too heavily on specific pokes never appearing.

On the plus side, it removed a lot of indecision as to move slots; Drill Run and Knock Off can't OHKO the things that laugh at its STAB and are big threats. At least when running dual STAB, Beedrill can slaughter enemy TR setters like Slowbro, or bulky fairies. Thinking of Steven as a partner, Beedrill CAN use DR/KO to mop up, but it requires that AI Steven has the right poke at the right time, and plays into your hand.

Among the more worrysome ones...

252 Atk Beedrill Drill Run vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 112-132 (67.4 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Beedrill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Chandelure: 124-146 (74.2 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Beedrill Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 196-232 (98.9 - 117.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO (1 & 2; 3 holds Shuca Berry)

On the plus side, Drill Run always OHKOs Heatran4, and that scarf still won't allow it to outspeed Beedrill.

252+ Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Beedrill: 178-210 (126.2 - 148.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Matters because of the Quick Claw on that bastard as well as the fact that it won't use Stone Edge and spare Metagross if it's there also. Steven's Aerodactyl can't do more than 50% with Ice Fang, but an X-Scissor plus a Meteor Mash or Zen Headbutt will always KO Donphan, so it requires some praying to the RNG gods that such an encounter ends favorably with multiple critical factors in play... no QC proc, no missing, Metagross attacks Donphan and not its partner, etc.

I plan to try it anyway to see if Beedrill will at least be the magnet for attacks I expect it to be, even when paired with something that can also be OHKOd, such as Overheat with Metagross on the field, or Terrakion's Stone Edge while Aerodactyl is present. The AI seems to like assassination attempts on the megas when it has multiple good options.

If Beedrill goes Drill Run for its coverage move, it can't do anything remarkable to Gengar or most Ghosts for that matter, and a lot of them are frail enough that Knock Off actually can get some KOs. I'd also be sparing Metagross from an incoming Shadow Ball. If I were just to try making it to 50 wins with Beedrill, I'd almost assuredly face more of them than veterans with a Heatran or Musketeer not named Virizion.

I would've paired Beedrill with Air Balloon Heatran regardless.

Edit: running a bunch of neutral calcs, I'm also of the opinion now that Megadrill doesn't even belong in a format other than singles.

Last edited:

turskain

Now that you mention Mega Beedrill's magnetism, its defenses are quite low. Sharpedo has 70/40/40 defenses, so Mega Beedrill is less physically bulky than Sharpedo with its 65/40/80 defenses!

252+ Atk Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Beedrill: 126-148 (90 - 105.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Carbink 75% Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Beedrill: 120-142 (85.7 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Carbink Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Beedrill: 102-122 (72.8 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If we're talking cheesy ideas to take on Super AI Multis with, I had one: running Aerodactyl/Mega Metagross as your two Pokémon alongside Steven's Aerodactyl/Mega Metagross team. Your Focus Sash Rock Slide/Wide Guard/Tailwind/Protect Aerodactyl supports his Metagross and sets up Tailwind for the Metagross duo to sweep. Carry Thunder Punch and Ice Punch on your MegaGross to augment the non-existent damage output of Aerodactyl. Nothing could go wrong!

You should be able to run two of the same species between you and the AI partner. At least in XY Maison, it was possible.

Last edited:
You can indeed. I dunno if it changed since XY, but it seemed that the AI wouldn't lead with the same poke as you, so Steven should always opt to send out Metagross first if you lead with Aerodactyl.

I'm all for cheesy ideas, but when earning the Multis trophy in X I quickly resigned to the fact that it required things that work more than some of the time, at least when partnered with the AI, and while Steven is drastically better than most if not all of the options I had previously, Beedrill doesn't even come close to cutting it. I mean-

252 Atk Adaptability Beedrill X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 136-162 (85 - 101.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

-just made me sad. Now think about the hundreds of enemies that run some remote semblence of bulk, and recall that something as pathetic as Carbink's Explosion will still OHKO it. And while we're at it, consider the prospect of being Intimidated, and, um, yeah.

I'll give Beedrill one thing in that its mega design looks pretty cool. And if you somehow fought Hex Maniac Mara by herself, and she had, oh, nothing but her psychic types, it'd be the easiest 6-7 BP you'd ever earned. Within the past 30 seconds.

Anyway, my original Rotom-W & Zard Y duo wouldn't complement Steven very well, but I've been looking for partners for my Sheer Force Landorus, which I enjoy using and is able to handle a lot. Unfortunately I've bred and trained very few Megas outside of my TR junk, so most ideas will likely require me to build something from scratch, but I do have a few goodies here and there. Gardevoir, Kangaskhan (who I'd run shotgun, saving Lando for backup) and Blastoise to name a few. Not that a mega is required, either, of course.

You can indeed. I dunno if it changed since XY, but it seemed that the AI wouldn't lead with the same poke as you, so Steven should always opt to send out Metagross first if you lead with Aerodactyl.

I'm all for cheesy ideas, but when earning the Multis trophy in X I quickly resigned to the fact that it required things that work more than some of the time, at least when partnered with the AI, and while Steven is drastically better than most if not all of the options I had previously, Beedrill doesn't even come close to cutting it. I mean-

252 Atk Adaptability Beedrill X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 136-162 (85 - 101.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

-just made me sad. Now think about the hundreds of enemies that run some remote semblence of bulk, and recall that something as pathetic as Carbink's Explosion will still OHKO it. And while we're at it, consider the prospect of being Intimidated, and, um, yeah.

I'll give Beedrill one thing in that its mega design looks pretty cool. And if you somehow fought Hex Maniac Mara by herself, and she had, oh, nothing but her psychic types, it'd be the easiest 6-7 BP you'd ever earned. Within the past 30 seconds.

Anyway, my original Rotom-W & Zard Y duo wouldn't complement Steven very well, but I've been looking for partners for my Sheer Force Landorus, which I enjoy using and is able to handle a lot. Unfortunately I've bred and trained very few Megas outside of my TR junk, so most ideas will likely require me to build something from scratch, but I do have a few goodies here and there. Gardevoir, Kangaskhan (who I'd run shotgun, saving Lando for backup) and Blastoise to name a few. Not that a mega is required, either, of course.
Been playing Super Multi with Steven as my AI partner for the past few days. First off, i believe it is very unwise to pair Landorus with Steven's Aerodactyl. Both share common Water and Ice weaknesses, which give AI opponents all the more incentive to spam SE Surf and Blizzard moves at both of you. Neither do both of you have the right tools to deal with the Pokemon that might come up in response to that pairing. Keeping in mind that out of all of Steven's pokemon's moves, only one (Bullet Punch) has 100% accuracy, Evasion-based Pokemon, like Brightpowder Glaceon will pose a major problem to you.

Thus i feel that you will find much better synergy with Mega-Metagross. MegaGross can deal with the Ice types that will pop up, while you have grass knot and Earth Power to handle the Fire and Water types that give both of you problems. Though i suspect that Moltres will be a major headache. Fortunately, Landorus can handle Heatran spectacularly,which otherwise walls Steven completely. Nonetheless, it is clear you need an Ice and Water resist that can carry moves to handle the Fire, Ghost, Ground and Dark types that threaten MegaGross. Considering that TR is a thing as none of MegaGross moves can KO any of the setters except for maybe Aromatisse, you might want a backup that has average speed

Seeing as you say Blastoise is one of the megas you can use, i feel that a Mega Set of Protect/Dark Pulse/Aura Sphere might work well with your choice of Water STAB being Scald for consistent damage, Water Spout if you are feeling brave or Water Pulse for confusion hax. Aura Sphere is there to negate some of the very prevalent miss hax in Steven's team and Glaceon. Dark Pulse is for TR Setters and Ghost types. Protect to guard yourself against fast Electric types that will target you while letting MegaGross clean up. Aerodactyl also makes a good partner, providing consistent flinch hax and drawing electric attacks away from you.

Well, I can't realistically expect that Landorus will only ever be alongside Metagross, or that any such pairing will always be advantageous.

There are a few water types that LO Landorus has no business facing, at least not alone- Milotic4 and Suicune, for instance, who aren't OHKO'd by Grass Knot any of the time while still being able to OHKO back (25% of the time for Milotic, but that's still a bad trade I won't accept.) Two Suicune sets also use Calm Mind in addition to ice attacks. Similarly there are a lot of Set 4 Ice/Waters that Landorus easily kills by himself.

Moltres' only shot at OHKOing Landorus is Set1 with Overheat which is also not even guaranteed; if my partner is Metagross, it'll never target Landorus with it first, and if my partner is Aerodactyl, lol (well, okay, Rock Slide can miss.)

While Aerodactyl is nowhere near as sturdy or useful as Steven's Metagross, I won't sell it too short, either, as its STAB Rock Slide punches holes in some particular things better than Landorus would, that I also wouldn't be quick to pit against Blastoise, if we're pretending to go that route.

Zapdos2, the bulkiest variant of those encountered in the Maison, is also the only one that Aero-Lando can't OHKO 100% of the time and also has hax on its side in the form of Brightpowder and Double Team. Bad damage rolls on both Rock Slide and Psychic can result in only 92% provided they both hit, but this comes at the cost of Zappy not posing any immediate threat, and we'd get multiple attempts to go at it.

I just might give Blastoise a try! Though I'm almost positive I'll need to reset bag and re-train it, unless I still have some WT fodder sitting around X or Bank.

In the Maison, what's the best set for M-Slowbro (who is awesome btw)? I'm deciding on whether to use CM RestTalk or Iron Defense CM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 17)