Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

There's a lot of dead weight on that set IMO. It seems to be too focused on being anti-magic bounce, especially sableye. Usage of those preferred opponents aside, all you need is parting shot and magic bouncers will switch out on their own. That removes the need for mold breaker as an ability and maybe even taunt (even though I do have a philosophy that taunt is NEVER useless, but I digress).

Most people use pangoro to help set-up sweepers (most notably DD mence). I wouldn't recommend Circle throw because pangoro doesn't take hits too well and it has a bad matchup against a lot of common pokemon in the game, which means you don't really have the liberty to 'pick your opponent'. Scrappy + storm throw is recommended because it deals with aegislash well. Knock off is really good for a lot of pokemon like gengar and porygon2. The last move can be of your choice, usually depends on what your team lacks.

I think the most useful item is choice scarf because with full speed investment it outspeeds max 110s and you can freely part away like common volt-turners do into a set-up sweeper. This is especially true when paired with mence against a physical attacker (that is not defiant): you part, send out mence, and you have a free DD turn against a -2 opponent.

Note that this is just IMO. You should try different sets and you may find something that works even better for you.
Thanks a bunch!

I got into competitive battling about a year ago, but due to things in life I haven't had the time to look further into it, so if someone could explain to me Battle Spot & what the differences are between XY Battlespot and ORAS Battle Spot, Afterwards if someone could help me develop a Singles Team and a Doubles Team that would be great, tiers to me don't matter toomuch, but if you want to recomend Pokémon specifically from one tier go right on ahead, and finally, I only have Pokémon X and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, but I have a friends that might be able to hook me up with Pokémon I can't get in either of these versions, along with the pokemon I can get from the Friend Safari's, which I have a good amount of.

Please take your time to look at this and help me out, Thank you in advance!

I got into competitive battling about a year ago, but due to things in life I haven't had the time to look further into it, so if someone could explain to me Battle Spot & what the differences are between XY Battlespot and ORAS Battle Spot, Afterwards if someone could help me develop a Singles Team and a Doubles Team that would be great, tiers to me don't matter toomuch, but if you want to recomend Pokémon specifically from one tier go right on ahead, and finally, I only have Pokémon X and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, but I have a friends that might be able to hook me up with Pokémon I can't get in either of these versions, along with the pokemon I can get from the Friend Safari's, which I have a good amount of.

Please take your time to look at this and help me out, Thank you in advance!
All Nintendo formats have similar banlists: All event and cover legendaries. XY allows anything else, so you can use transfered pokemon - but not ORAS megas, of course. ORAS Battle Spot has a pentagon only rule, which means you can't use pokemon that aren't born on a gen 6 cartridge. Thankfully, Between ORAS and XY you can catch all legal legendaries anyhow, although they lose event and older tutor moves. One big difference is that the Genie trio can't have defiant as an ability, since its their dream world ability and it hasn't been released in gen 6.

Battle spot is level 50, which is a big deal because of how you EV train. Also, if you run calcs you'll find differences, so take that into account when using a damage calculator. There's a guide to using evs efficiently here. As far as what pokemon are popular, Nintendo releases stats for each type of battle, which you can find on their website here.

I think someone on here does periodic giveaways of battlespot pokemon. I'll let someone else give you info on that since I haven't been around here too much.

All Nintendo formats have similar banlists: All event and cover legendaries. XY allows anything else, so you can use transfered pokemon - but not ORAS megas, of course. ORAS Battle Spot has a pentagon only rule, which means you can't use pokemon that aren't born on a gen 6 cartridge. Thankfully, Between ORAS and XY you can catch all legal legendaries anyhow, although they lose event and older tutor moves. One big difference is that the Genie trio can't have defiant as an ability, since its their dream world ability and it hasn't been released in gen 6.

Battle spot is level 50, which is a big deal because of how you EV train. Also, if you run calcs you'll find differences, so take that into account when using a damage calculator. There's a guide to using evs efficiently here. As far as what pokemon are popular, Nintendo releases stats for each type of battle, which you can find on their website here.

I think someone on here does periodic giveaways of battlespot pokemon. I'll let someone else give you info on that since I haven't been around here too much.
Thank you for helping me clear that up, now I have to wait and see if anyone can help me build a Singles Team & a Doubles Team, again the teirs dont matter to me too much, so post a team from any tier.

What tools do you guys have open when playing Battlespot? :P
I only have open the Pokemon Type Chart cause I have to admit I don't always know all the counters off my head.
I feel like many times, the opponent spends 2min just to pick their team, making me wonder if they are doing some precalculations

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What tools do you guys have open when playing Battlespot? :P
I only have open the Pokemon Type Chart cause I have to admit I don't always know all the counters off my head.
I feel like many times, the opponent spends 2min just to pick their team, making me wonder if they are doing some precalculations
Usually my notes and the damage calc, though I don't use the latter unless I see an uncommon opponent.
I take some time to choose pokemon because I always write down the opponent's six pokemon, as well as spend time guessing the held item before choosing my own 3. You have to get the most information out of the opponent while you can.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There honestly is a lot of thinking to do at team preview. And besides, if you're not taking advantage of all the time you get, you're just throwing away a free opportunity.

And I usually have Honkalculator open, kind of unfortunate that you have to manually put in level 50 each time though.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If I have to quickly run a dmg calc there are two things that I often use:

http://pokedex-br.info/damage.html
Fastest damage calc available. Requires knowledge of stats, however. This is a gen 4 calc but can still work for gen 6 if you input the correct values or sub in the right ability / item.

CDXCIV's calc on IRC:
A simple syntax is all that's required to get something out of it. Here's a example:
[13:26] <JibaNOTHERE> !dmg gbu salamence-mega 31 252+ Aerilate | suicune 31 252/252+ | Double-Edge
[13:26] <CDXCIV> Salamence-Mega's Double-Edge vs Suicune (105 - 124 HP) Damage: 50.72% - 59.9%

gbu sets everything to lv50.

(Salamence is pretty scary)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
As we know, the VGC15 rules have been announced, and by all accounts the ruleset is identical to the one held by regular Battle Spot Doubles. There's a whole other subforum dedicated to VGC, and doubtless any discussion on BS Doubles will end up in there as the two metas are functionally the same. How are we going to adjust to the sudden redundancy between this subforum and the VGC subforum? Will we be dropping Doubles discussion altogether?

DragonWhale

is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nice VGC 2015 rules. I wonder what would happen to the doubles discussion on this subforum as well.

In other news, Pokemon is banning hacked pokemon in the ORAS ladder! Pokemon like sheer force landos are blocked and people who used them are now banned (If you check the usage stats they were actually a thing). Finally Pokemon is making bold moves to crack down cheaters.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Ok guys, just a quick intermediate post while I'm working on the distribution update (didn't get much time this weekend to get it done, but ehh).

Special thanks to Jibaku and D_what for already making donations! Also, special thanks to ethan06 and vzxt for pending donations!

I currently have (straight copy/pastes from the original sources, lol)...
Bold Latias, 31/1/31/31/31/30.
Functionally perfect for a Stored Power set... at level 50.

Timid Raikou: 25/6/30/31/31/31
HP Ice

Bold Suicune: 31/15/31/30/31/30

Bold Cresselia: 31/x/31/26/31/28
HP Fire

Timid Latias: 31/28/31/31/31/31
- CM/Psychic/Draco Meteor/Recover
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Modest Heatran 31/14/31/31/30/31

I expect to get some more good stuff in the near future, but I'll hold off on listing those until I actually have them on-cart.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Dangit, mine's 29/14/31/31/29/31 (also bold)

Any other natures of things I could help with? The only legendaries I've caught so far in my AS are latias and mesprit. I also have an eon ticket, though I know that there are already timid HP fire latioses floating around.

Last edited:
I'm totally new to Battle Spot, but I've been playing on simulators on Smogon rules for several generations now. What are some core differences I might want to take note of, in particular any bad habits or frames of thought I need distance myself from when playing Battle Spot?

Also, is there an IRC Channel for Battle Spot regulars where I might pick up some quick tips or a simulator where I can test teams? Thanks in advance!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Box my friend we have a few stickies that should be helpful.

This guide by JabbaTheGriffin is for XY but for the most part the "Notable differences from 6v6" part is still appropriate. We also have a The Smog article by Age of Kings that might be useful. If you have any specific questions after reading those, feel free to ask them.

Also yes, definitely head by #battlespot on IRC. It's not that active most of the day, but if you highlight someone or just start talking and wait a while you'll get a conversation going. It is also possible to play on Pokemon Showdown but as far as I know they do not have the ORAS metagames on there yet.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Ok guys, just a quick intermediate post while I'm working on the distribution update (didn't get much time this weekend to get it done, but ehh).

Special thanks to Jibaku and D_what for already making donations! Also, special thanks to ethan06 and vzxt for pending donations!

I currently have (straight copy/pastes from the original sources, lol)...

Timid Raikou: 25/6/30/31/31/31
HP Ice

Bold Suicune: 31/15/31/30/31/30

Bold Cresselia: 31/x/31/26/31/28
HP Fire

Timid Latias: 31/28/31/31/31/31
- CM/Psychic/Draco Meteor/Recover
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Modest Heatran 31/14/31/31/30/31

I expect to get some more good stuff in the near future, but I'll hold off on listing those until I actually have them on-cart.
With Buckert's SR guide, you get some really good quality donations. I'm about to start on it myself. BS eligible legendaries aren't on my list just yet, but I hope to do a Tornadus soonish, you can certainly get a copy when the time comes.

I like the look of that Cress.

What is some good megas to use in Battle Spot? Im currently using Mega Salamence and Mega Metagross, since these are two of the best new megas for ORAS. Im looking into Mega Latias(will have to trade, didnt have the time to SR it during storyline) and Mega Latios, but how good are they?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What is some good megas to use in Battle Spot? Im currently using Mega Salamence and Mega Metagross, since these are two of the best new megas for ORAS. Im looking into Mega Latias(will have to trade, didnt have the time to SR it during storyline) and Mega Latios, but how good are they?
There's no way to really answer this as pretty much all mega evolutions are 'good' in battle spot (except for recommending Kangaskhan but that's too easy). It really depends on what your team needs / what suits your playing style etc.. Venusaur used to be pretty good as a way to deal with Rotom in early XY but died off because of Talonflames omnipotence, both Charizards are still pretty strong, I don't see that much Gengar anymore but it can still be a pest with it's Perish-Trap set, Tyranitar does Dragon Dance pretty well, Blaziken is/was a popular check to Kangaskhan / Tyranitar / Aegislash (kind of), Manectric does fast Volt Switch and spreads Intimidate well, and Lucario served a similar purpose to Blaziken. I haven't had a chance to play ORAS BS yet so I have no experience with those megas but I honestly think Glalie could be good in 3v3 as it can dish out a heap of damage before Exploding and giving something a free switch in, which is more viable here than in 6v6

Just remember that because it's 'bring 6 pick 3' (singles) you can always pack more than one mega for use against different teams, which will allow you to try more out and learn for yourself which ones are good/bad!

I'm looking for opinions on Offensive gliscor for Singles and Doubles format...

Which nature would be the best, Jolly or Adamant?

With Jolly you can outspeed modest CharY, jolly Mamoswine adamant M-Khanga, other neutral base speed 100 pokemon or boosted base speed 80s/90s pokemon.

Adamant gives more power and the lack of speed can be compensated with Tailwind but the difference in power isn't big compared to Jolly.

252+ Atk Gliscor Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 140-168 (91.5 - 109.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO in this case you get outsped and OHKO'd with HeatWave if sun is up.
252 Atk Gliscor Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 128-152 (83.6 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

also which ablity?

Sand Veil+Brightpowder for Evasion shenanigans
Hyper cutter laugh at intimidates
Poison Heal for huge recovery but this isn't that useful in an offensive set.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think you should always go with Poison Heal unless you want a Gen IV exclusive move - it's just way too powerful an ability to pass up, particularly on bulky offense sets. When building an offensive Gliscor, you need to try and emphasise the advantages that it has over Landorus-Therian, as they have the same typing and a similar movepool, but Landorus was just designed with a far more offensive mindset so of course it's more efficient in an offensive role. Poison Heal is the biggest of these advantages, and I think that in order to exploit it most effectively, you should go with an Adamant nature and take something along the lines or a 252 HP/252 Atk spread, obviously tweaked to speed creep certain things and survive certain attacks. I'd go with a similar set to Choice Scarf/Assault Vest Landorus-T and tack on Substitute instead of U-Turn, which allows you to gain momentum of switches. Fling+Acrobatics is another option if you like the idea of poisoning things and then spamming Flying attacks, which is something that Landorus can only dream of.

DragonWhale

Well I've never used an offensive gliscor (nor seen one), so I can't give you the best feedback to that question. Normally an offensive gliscor is outclassed by garchomp and lando-t, so you might as well capitalize on what those two can't do.

In doubles, hyper cutter can be pretty useful with the intimidates flying around. Gliscor has more damage output than a -1 chomp and lando. Spamming knock off to make it easier for other team members is a viable strategy. Maybe even put in guillotine as a last ditch effort move.

In singles, well honestly poison heal is just so much more consistent than the other two. The closest thing to an offensive set I've seen on battle spot singles is guillotine timer stall lol. It's just really difficult to avoid relying on stall with such an awesome ability.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
If you want an offensive gliscor, he could Fling his toxic orb at something and then hit hard with a full-power acrobatics. It's pretty gimmicky though.

Looking for a Singles Team, normally I am only playing Double and Specials, but would want a Singles Team that I know is good enough for whenever I feel like playing that mode.
So if anyone got a team they know is doing well in ORAS so far, feel free to share the info about it so I can copy it :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)