Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is Tyranitar still a good assault vest user, or was it just a case of mistaken identity?
The latter. Tyranitar is not a good AV user (nor was it ever) due to the fact that it is much better off using a Choice Scarf, Smooth Rock, or Tyranitarite. Scarftar is a great pursuit trapper and check to flying types, a defensive variant with smooth rock is a good setter of stealth rock and mega tyranitar is a decent boosting sweeper. By using AV, tyranitar cannot boost its stats or use stealth rock, and its SpD in the sand is high enough.

Were any other starters' has announced with serperior? Eg Reckless emboar, sheer force feraligatr, and the almighty leaf guard meganium.

What would you guys say is the most common format for tournaments? I want to get into competitive battling but I feel like it'd be more beneficial to learn one format and get good at it before branching out. Also, do tournaments usually have some sort of restrictions on the pokemon allowed (such as only allowing OU/Ubers/UU etc), or do they just have a ban list?

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What would you guys say is the most common format for tournaments? I want to get into competitive battling but I feel like it'd be more beneficial to learn one format and get good at it before branching out. Also, do tournaments usually have some sort of restrictions on the pokemon allowed (such as only allowing OU/Ubers/UU etc), or do they just have a ban list?
OU is by far the most common tier. Most of the tournaments in the tournament forum have their own rules (like battling to lose, winning without using damaging moves, only battling with metronome, etc), but almost all of the tiers require some OU knowledge. The official tournaments (Official Smogon Tournament, Smogon Frontier, etc.) focus almost exclusively on OU. To answer your question, OU is the most common format, though that isn't to say NU of even Hackmons tournaments don't exist.

OU is by far the most common tier. Most of the tournaments in the tournament forum have their own rules (like battling to lose, winning without using damaging moves, only battling with metronome, etc), but almost all of the tiers require some OU knowledge. The official tournaments (Official Smogon Tournament, Smogon Frontier, etc.) focus almost exclusively on OU. To answer your question, OU is the most common format, though that isn't to say NU of even Hackmons tournaments don't exist.
Thanks for this awesome answer. So what would be the best course of action to learning about the metagame and competitive battle in general? Should I just look around the smogon forums? Are there any resources you personally would recommend to a person completely new to competitive battle?

Thanks for this awesome answer. So what would be the best course of action to learning about the metagame and competitive battle in general? Should I just look around the smogon forums? Are there any resources you personally would recommend to a person completely new to competitive battle?
Looking around Smogon and getting used to the various formats is a good idea. Here's a list of tiers and their restrictions: http://www.smogon.com/xyhub/tiers

You can also feel free to contact a mentor if you need help.

Minus

In addition, you can look through this guide for some tips too! Lurking in the OU forum is also a good place to start. The VIability rANKINGS Thread is an invaluable source when it comes to figuring out which Pokemon is the best within each tier, while the General Discussino Thread is great for picking up on metagame trends. If you need help with teambuilding or making your first team, check out the Sample Teams Thread, where experienced players post teams that newer players can use! You can also check out the Victory Road subforum which is within the OU subforum. The posts here are generally of more quality since only people that have proven themselves (through getting a badge, high ladder player, etc.) can post. Good Luck!

In addition, you can look through this guide for some tips too! Lurking in the OU forum is also a good place to start. The VIability rANKINGS Thread is an invaluable source when it comes to figuring out which Pokemon is the best within each tier, while the General Discussino Thread is great for picking up on metagame trends. If you need help with teambuilding or making your first team, check out the Sample Teams Thread, where experienced players post teams that newer players can use! You can also check out the Victory Road subforum which is within the OU subforum. The posts here are generally of more quality since only people that have proven themselves (through getting a badge, high ladder player, etc.) can post. Good Luck!
Another question: How do you guys usually test out your teams? I don't imagine you raise every pokemon from scratch just for testing them out, do you?

Question about Accuracy!

Sheer Cold has an Acc. of 30, If I used buffs to increase my accuracy, would it apply to Sheer cold?

well, if you're raising them for WiFi competitive play, you'd have to test them through practice battles, which can be accessed when you go to ladder in-game.
Well I mean, if you're theory crafting teams for example, you probably wouldn't want to have to raise each pokemon from scratch for each team would you?

Im assuming that you will know what I mean when I say Smogon Strategy Dex. I would just like to ask if there is any way I can contribute to Smogon Strategy Dex entries. Thank you in advance!

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Im assuming that you will know what I mean when I say Smogon Strategy Dex. I would just like to ask if there is any way I can contribute to Smogon Strategy Dex entries. Thank you in advance!
Of course ^_^!

Check out this forum where they are made. Here is the layout and some beginner tips to start you along your way, feel free to contact me if you have anymore questions :)

You can also ask more here!

Minus

In addition, you should also check this out! It contains all the links you need to get stated.

Another question for you guys. When you finally figure out what team you plan on going with, how do you go about getting said team inside the actual game?

Hi there, I'm completely new to competitive pokes and been playing for 3-4 days OU now. (with practising playstyles in random battles during the past few months a little + viewing a few youtube videos^^)
While working on a good first team I've got myself stuck in a rating about 1600 +-300-400 and ... well I'm not really 100% satisfied with that :/
In the RMT section I found this thing which tells me that nobody wants noobteams in there and I should go to the Apprentice Program ...
Too bad that the next one starts 2nd January and I definitly don't have the energy to learn too much additional stuff after work ... my vacation is now until new year, until then I actually wanted to have earned enough experience to get higher by myself without the need to study/learn too much >.>
Aside from the fact I'd propably be disqualified from said program due to inactivity on all of my work days...
Soooooooooooo ... is there any way or any Forum here to post said team and getting suggestions for noobs like me that generally have no experience with team synergy or other important parts of teambuilding?^^

PS: Yes, I've read previous posts that go to the sample team thread, I just don't really like using premade teams 1:1, I'd rather get myself one, perhaps with a little help from outside.

I'm confused. So I clicked watch forum for the smogon premier league thread and I got no alerts for any of the threads about it even though I clicked on "send alerts" for how I want the news of the threads on there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)