ORAS UU UU First Team (please rate / help)

I started playing the UU tier about a week ago and I have to say I really like it. Obviously I had to make my first team around the Lord Mega Pidgeot. So far, I reached top 100 with this team and have been hovering around there. The team is some kind of bulky offense team, but I think it could do with improvement because there a couple of threats I really struggle with and I think that's what's stopping me from moving further because the team isn't really solid. I don't know this tier well enough yet to know how to change things around in order to stop these threats without leaving myself weak to another.

Text in Bold represents changes.

TEAM

Lord Pidgeon (Pidgeot-Mega) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Naturally, Mega Pidgeot found itself on this team since it's built around it. Mega Pidgeot checks the numerous fighting types in the tier bar Scarfed Mienshao. The set is pretty standard, with Heat Wave for coverage and U-Turn to grab momentum. Roost for longevity. Honestly nothing else to say, just a standard Pidgeot.

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Krookodile was chosen as the next Pokemon to form the core. I decided on Krook because Pidgeot appreciates the Ground and Fighting type coverage it gives, allowing it to remove Rock types that my Pidgeot set hates. They form a pretty good offensive core together, as Pidgeot also takes care of the things Krook hates, such as Chesnaught or Shaymin. Also, synergy wise, they were good which gave room for switching. Pidgeot resists Bug and Grass which Krook hates as well as take care of Fighting types, whereas Krook is immune to Electric and resists Rock for Pidgeot. EQ and Knock Off are a given, and I opted for Superpower because I felt overall the team appreciated it more than for example, Stone Edge. It also has a 50% chance to OHKO 252/252+ Blissey. Pursuit was chosen to remove Pokemon that would otherwise cause problems such as Chandelure, Scarf Rachi, and deal big damage to Blissey switching out. That way it may not be able to switch into Pidgeot safely since it'd be at low health. I chose Choice Band because it seemed like the most suitable item, Krook is meant to weaken or remove the things Pidgeot hates, so the extra power was really appreciated, and most of the time, it really is just spamming one move anyway, so the lack of switching moves didn't hurt. I chose Intimidate because I didn't feel Moxie was needed, espeically because I'm not running Scarf, and Krook doesn't really stay in for more than 2 turns. Also, Intimidate helps it deal with Scarf Rachi better and so it can live a Mega Sharpedo's Waterfall.

Pure Skill (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- U-turn
- Trick

The core was pretty weak to all these fast, strong new megas such as Mega Bee, Scep, and previously Lopunny and Gallade. Mega Aero and Zam also belong in this list. Scarf Rachi is used to revenge kill, or on correct prediction switch into these Pokemon and deal with them. I didn't feel like I needed something that could switch in throughout the match because 1) This is an offense team and 2) It's impossible to find something that could deal with so many threats. Iron Head is a staple, and Fire Punch OHKOs Mega Bee as well as provide coverage against steels such as Forretress. U-Turn is U-Turn, and for last option I felt Trick was my best bet so I'm not weak to Crocune, and it also helps cripple any walls or defensive cores that are giving me trouble. Rachi also switches into Ice attacks which Pidgeot and Krook are weak to so it gives more switching potential, and having a Fairy resist is nice too. Honestly though Rachi itself is just really solid and easy to slap onto a team, flinch games can literally turn the match in your favour.

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

In a tier where Fighting types are so dominant, I needed a Fighting resist. The 40HP ensures it is 3HKOd by Reckless HJK from Mienshao. That way, I can switch in safely and OHKO it with Sludge Wave or Earth Power. Queen was chosen over King for the bulk (switching into Fighting types) and I needed a rock setter, and Queen is a better rock setter than King. Dual STABs and I chose Ice Beam for the many Dragons, particularly Zygarde.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248HP / 60 Def / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Water and Fire moves were pretty spammable against the team so far, especially Scald. Starmie resisted both and also has Natural Cure to ignore Scald as well as act as a status absorber. I also needed hazard removal for Pidgeot, so Starmie filled many roles in one slot. A secondary Fighting resist was also nice to have, as well as something that can revenge kill Scarfed Mienshao. Dual STABs and I chose Thunderbolt because bulky waters looked pretty annoying. I also have enough Ice coverage between Nido and Machamp. Ice Beam was chosen since it was the best option and helped with Zygarde, and things such as Psyshock weren't doing damage to special walls anyway since it's not Life Orb Analytic. Thunderbolt was left out because with no investment it's not doing too much to bulky waters. Starmie is pretty frail, but the new EV spread makes it quite bulky and allows it to safely switch into Mienshao's HJK, as well as check other Fighting types better. 200 Speed EVs outspeeds Galvantula and Infernape. Against balance or stall teams it's a nice pivot switch, both as a status absorber as well as absorb some damage which it can recover thanks to... Recover. Leftovers naturally fit this set.

Machamp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch

Machamp was chosen because Porygon 2 looked annoying since it walled most things on my team. Machamp can deal with it even with its Eviolite. I chose No Guard (replaced with Guts to break stall and switch into Scald, it beats bulky waters like Milotic and Vaporeon) with AV to switch into Nidoking. Even though Nidoking is slower than everything else apart from Nidoqueen, it was a threat because it could OHKO 4/5 of the other members. Also, Machamp can switch into Scarfed Hydreigon pretty nicely, but if its Life Orb it's not so comfortable. That said though, if it's Life Orb then I know my other members will outspeed it. Furthermore, Mega Sharpedo could either OHKO or deal massive damage to other members of my team, so Machamp could revenge kill it (Champ needs to be at around at least 55%). DPunch Close Combat was naturally chosen since it's the strongest move and Stone Edge was there for Flying types, especially people trying to switch in Crobat on a CC. Knock Off is just too spammable and helps with P2 further, and Bullet Punch gave some very much appreciated priority in checking certain threats better (see comments below). The dual Knock Off between Krook and Machamp was very useful in dealing with stall, just the removal of things like Lefties and more importantly Eviolite was huge, and really helps with wearing down quicker. The AV gives Machamp really good bulk and can make it act as a pivot switch. Machamp fit the definition "bulky offense" really well, and I felt just having a solid Fighting type was important, so I pretty much slapped it on as a last member.

So that's the team so far. It's been doing pretty well so far but it does get overwhelmed sometimes. Some big threats are Scarfed Mienshao, even though Nidoqueen can switch in and Starmie can revenge kill, it's not a reliable way of dealing with it. It could just switch out and come back in later, and wear things down to just pull of a late game sweep. A well played Mienshao gives me big problems. Mega Beedrill is also a threat as I pretty much have zero switch ins and only Jirachi outspeeds it.

Thanks for reading and I'd appreciate the help for dealing with these threats.

Last edited:
Hey what's up man, yours is looking like a really solid team. I've been using a core of Pidgeot + Krookodile myself and it's been doing great, and it sounds like you've been having some of the same success. I can think of just a couple changes to improve on the things that you mentioned were problems.

Alright I can definitely see what you mean when you say that Mienshao is a big problem, as it is for most offense. One thing I can think of is to change Starmie to a defensive set. The one you're using doesn't have too much power anyways as its missing Analytic, Life Orb, and Hydro Pump, so I think that you can definitely afford to move the SpA EVs over to HP. As for the other EVs, I haven't used defensive Starmie myself, but I would imagine allowing yourself to outspeed Infernape while maximizing your defensive bulk resulting in a spread of 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 Spe with a Timid nature would do the trick. If you find a spread that's more capable of handling Mienshao (you'll have to sacrifice speed to do this) then definitely go for it and let me know. You should also use a moveset of Scald/Ice Beam/Rapid Spin/Recover. Since your Starmie isn't meant to really hit special walls hard, Psyshock shouldn't be necessary, and Ice Beam is very useful against Zygarde who you'll now have a much easier time with. Defensive Starmie will also take a lot of pressure off the rest of your team to handle Fire spam, and can keep itself healthy through Natural Cure and Recover.

The problem now with this is that you don't really have anything that can deal with bulky waters, so here's where my next suggestion comes into play. You can change Machamp from No Guard to Guts in order to really punish Scald users of the tier. Close Combat should obviously be used over Dynamicpunch, but I'd also like to suggest Bullet Punch over Ice Punch now that you've got Ice coverage on Starmie (Ice Punch really only hits Gligar anyway, and the rest of your team is excellent at handling him). Bullet Punch can be pretty clutch sometimes, especially against the two Pokemon you stated as the most threatening to you:
252+ Atk Machamp Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 73-86 (26.9 - 31.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Machamp Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Beedrill: 97-115 (35.7 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
It may not seem like much, but that can definitely make or break a game considering how these Pokemon like to come in and out of the field a lot throughout a game. Like I said, Ice Punch is all but useless anyway because you've already got coverage for Crobat switchins, so Bullet Punch might definitely come in handy. You also get some nice damage on Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl as well.

Other than that, I can't see any major problems with your team. Your matchup vs stall is a little weak, so I might consider replacing U-turn on Pidgeot with Work up, but if you'd prefer U-turn that's fine. Yeah, the two changes I mentioned, defensive Starmie and Guts Machamp, are the only suggestions I can think of. Hopefully it was useful and sorry my paragraphs got a bit long even though they were pretty simple suggestions lol, anyway good luck with this team in the future man, I can for sure see it doing well.

Hey what's up man, yours is looking like a really solid team. I've been using a core of Pidgeot + Krookodile myself and it's been doing great, and it sounds like you've been having some of the same success. I can think of just a couple changes to improve on the things that you mentioned were problems.

Alright I can definitely see what you mean when you say that Mienshao is a big problem, as it is for most offense. One thing I can think of is to change Starmie to a defensive set. The one you're using doesn't have too much power anyways as its missing Analytic, Life Orb, and Hydro Pump, so I think that you can definitely afford to move the SpA EVs over to HP. As for the other EVs, I haven't used defensive Starmie myself, but I would imagine allowing yourself to outspeed Infernape while maximizing your defensive bulk resulting in a spread of 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 Spe with a Timid nature would do the trick. If you find a spread that's more capable of handling Mienshao (you'll have to sacrifice speed to do this) then definitely go for it and let me know. You should also use a moveset of Scald/Ice Beam/Rapid Spin/Recover. Since your Starmie isn't meant to really hit special walls hard, Psyshock shouldn't be necessary, and Ice Beam is very useful against Zygarde who you'll now have a much easier time with. Defensive Starmie will also take a lot of pressure off the rest of your team to handle Fire spam, and can keep itself healthy through Natural Cure and Recover.

The problem now with this is that you don't really have anything that can deal with bulky waters, so here's where my next suggestion comes into play. You can change Machamp from No Guard to Guts in order to really punish Scald users of the tier. Close Combat should obviously be used over Dynamicpunch, but I'd also like to suggest Bullet Punch over Ice Punch now that you've got Ice coverage on Starmie (Ice Punch really only hits Gligar anyway, and the rest of your team is excellent at handling him). Bullet Punch can be pretty clutch sometimes, especially against the two Pokemon you stated as the most threatening to you:
252+ Atk Machamp Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 73-86 (26.9 - 31.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Machamp Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Beedrill: 97-115 (35.7 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
It may not seem like much, but that can definitely make or break a game considering how these Pokemon like to come in and out of the field a lot throughout a game. Like I said, Ice Punch is all but useless anyway because you've already got coverage for Crobat switchins, so Bullet Punch might definitely come in handy. You also get some nice damage on Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl as well.

Other than that, I can't see any major problems with your team. Your matchup vs stall is a little weak, so I might consider replacing U-turn on Pidgeot with Work up, but if you'd prefer U-turn that's fine. Yeah, the two changes I mentioned, defensive Starmie and Guts Machamp, are the only suggestions I can think of. Hopefully it was useful and sorry my paragraphs got a bit long even though they were pretty simple suggestions lol, anyway good luck with this team in the future man, I can for sure see it doing well.
Thanks for the rate! I changed Starmie to the set you recommended (couldn't find a better spread or else I lose out on speed to some key things). Yeah I agree it wasn't really hitting hard, base 100 is weak and really needs Life Orb and Analytic to actually deal damage, tbh it was some kind of hybrid Starmie. But I like the new set and switching into Mienshao looks easier. Also changed Psyshock to Ice Beam. I like Guts Machamp too, I actually (counter teamed) slapped a Choice Band on it for one match in a room tour and it broke apart this guy's stall team. But yeah I'm sticking to Guts with AV as that way it can do its original job and also break stall when it's burned. Also changed Ice Punch to Bullet Punch, looks pretty neat and also can pick off Aerodactyl. Thanks for the rate again, really liked the simple changes that didn't change the dynamic of the team.

I haven't really had problems with stall so far, Krook does a massive job against them and Trick Rachi is also very useful. The new Guts Machamp should help too. But as I said I'm hovering around 100 on the ladder so I probably haven't come across a really solid one yet. I'll see if any changes need to be made if stall is a problem.

Last edited:
change no gaurd to guts on champ since you can deal with gay status from vap and umbreon and trash both with cc, also since se has ass accuracy w/o no gaurd and u have trash luck use heavy slam to hit shit like florges
I forgot to edit in Guts over No Guard after Dodmen suggested, but yeah I done that now. LOL, Heavy Slam sounds fun, definitely will try it out. Thanks for the rate, son!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)