Field Control

Questions:
  1. Does the field effect in question occur before entry hazard damage does? That is, would a Pokemon named Magnet take damage from Spikes?
  2. Does the field effect in question occur before or after the user's ability? That is, what weather would a Drizzle Politoed named Sandstorm set up?
  3. Clarify: Does the field effect in question occur upon Transformation? That is, if Imposter Ditto switches in on a Pokemon named Sandstorm, will it set Sandstorm? Is this in addition to whatever field effect one decides to give Ditto?
  4. If Zoroark has a particular field effect and is disguised as a Pokemon with a different one, will Zoroark's native field effect activate and give it away? I suspect yes, but since the effect is tied to the user's name, I figured I should ask for clarification.

Questions:
  1. Does the field effect in question occur before entry hazard damage does? That is, would a Pokemon named Magnet take damage from Spikes?
  2. Does the field effect in question occur before or after the user's ability? That is, what weather would a Drizzle Politoed named Sandstorm set up?
  3. Clarify: Does the field effect in question occur upon Transformation? That is, if Imposter Ditto switches in on a Pokemon named Sandstorm, will it set Sandstorm? Is this in addition to whatever field effect one decides to give Ditto?
  4. If Zoroark has a particular field effect and is disguised as a Pokemon with a different one, will Zoroark's native field effect activate and give it away? I suspect yes, but since the effect is tied to the user's name, I figured I should ask for clarification.
1. Does Drizzle induce Rain before entry hazard damage? If so, magnet rise won't take damage from spikes, if not, they will take damage then induce magnet rise.

2. xD, I doubt anyone will actually do this unless but lets just say Ability then Nick Name for whatever reason.

3. If Ditto obtains their nickname when it transforms then it will induce their field effect, and this will be in addition to Ditto's own field effect.

4. Not sure what to do with Zoroark. I guess for consistency if it copies their nickname it will copy their field effect.

1. Does Drizzle induce Rain before entry hazard damage? If so, magnet rise won't take damage from spikes, if not, they will take damage then induce magnet rise.

2. xD, I doubt anyone will actually do this unless but lets just say Ability then Nick Name for whatever reason.

3. If Ditto obtains their nickname when it transforms then it will induce their field effect, and this will be in addition to Ditto's own field effect.

4. Not sure what to do with Zoroark. I guess for consistency if it copies their nickname it will copy their field effect.
That makes Zoroark hilariously fun. Does that mean that when Zoroark's Illusion is removed, it will then activate its own field effect?

Doesn't Fairy lock only work after you've died? It seems quite hard to implement and not really a field effect as such.

Doesn't Fairy lock only work after you've died? It seems quite hard to implement and not really a field effect as such.
Fairy Lock activates for a single turn and traps everyone on the field, your own side included. However, due to the nature of trapping, that one turn of trapping would be the turn after you switch in.

Time to start sharing and discussing some more sets.

Rain (Goodra) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD or 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Bold / Calm
- Toxic
- Infestation
- Rest
- Dragon Pulse / Protect / Flamethrower

Toxic stall Goodra :D
Trap with Infestation, Toxic them, then stall them out with the ridiculous Rest + Hydration combo (Rest + Hydration in Rain is also REALLY good on Vaporeon and Manaphy). The last slot is up to you in either Protect to get a free turn of Toxic damage, Dragon Pulse to potential wear things down faster, or Flamethrower for steels.

Time to start sharing and discussing some more sets.

Rain (Goodra) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD or 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Bold / Calm
- Toxic
- Infestation
- Rest
- Dragon Pulse / Protect / Flamethrower

Toxic stall Goodra :D
Trap with Infestation, Toxic them, then stall them out with the ridiculous Rest + Hydration combo (Rest + Hydration in Rain is also REALLY good on Vaporeon and Manaphy). The last slot is up to you in either Protect to get a free turn of Toxic damage, Dragon Pulse to potential wear things down faster, or Flamethrower for steels.
Might HP Ground or Focus Blast work better than Flamethrower, considering you have Rain up? Running a -Sp. Atk nature with Aqua Tail might theoretically be advisable if you want to do more to Sp. Def Heatran, while Thunder could be used instead if your biggest concern is Skarmory rather than Steels in general, since Skarm takes Focus Blast neutrally and is immune to HP Ground.

Going on the whole rain thing

Rain(Manaphy)@ Damp rock
-Tail glow
-Surf/scald
-ice beam
-rest

Basically last gen's manaphy now with 100% more auto rain :D

Isa Simple said:
Decided to test this out: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-195295486

The above replay said:
Pointed stones dug into the opposing Politoed!
It started to rain!
So entry hazards deal damage before the field effects would come into play.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Best revenge killer:

Fairy (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Transform

Traps and guaranteed outpace unless Choice Scarf. This will be fun. (unless Imposter activates before nickname, in which case RIP Ditto)

Best revenge killer:

Fairy (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Transform

Traps and guaranteed outpace unless Choice Scarf. This will be fun. (unless Imposter activates before nickname, in which case RIP Ditto)
imposter doesn't copy nicknames but abilities happen before nicks.

Tested Heal Block.
like many people mentioned it isn't a field effect, despite what Bulbapedia says. So am I removing it from the OP.

I can see Mawile gaining some usefulness in this OM by naming it Trick and it's Sheer Force boosts. Too bad Mega Mawile is Ubers or that would be absolutely cray cray.

Trick (Shuckle) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Power Trick
- Earthquake
- Secret Power
- Bug Bite

op

Trick (Shuckle) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Power Trick
- Earthquake
- Secret Power
- Bug Bite

op
Putting aside for a moment the fact that the opponent can promptly switch in their own Trick Roomer or priority as soon as this comes out (and if they choose to stay in, they can knock it down to 1HP after its fast Power Trick), Stone Edge is more powerful than Bug Bite (and gets better coverage) and Secret Power is outclassed by Knock Off. Plus, given that this thing is supposed to be a fast, fragile setup sweeper, you will prefer a Lum Berry. And this should be running minimum speed -- 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD, 0 Speed IVs, Brave nature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)