ORAS OU The Caped Crusader! A Mega Gallade RMT

Background Info:
Hi everyone! This is not only my first RMT but also my first post on the Smogon forums. The first time I tried competitive battling was during B/W, but now that ORAS is out I wanted to give it another go. I've been lurking around here for the past couple of weeks and after toying around with this team on showdown for a while I decided it was time to get some player feedback. I've had moderate success with this team but I know there are things that could be fixed. Updates will be in RED

Update (3/28/2015): I took quite a long break from competitive battling (busy due to school, work, etc) but I've finally found some free time and want to get back into it. That being said, I've noticed a lot has changed since November, primarily Greninja getting banned and new HA for some pokemon. I'd like more feedback and what ideas you all may have to replace Greninja. Thanks!

The Team:

Team Building Process:
+

While browsing on the forums I stumbled upon the ORAS cores page and immediately fell in love with this one because I knew I wanted to use Mega Gallade. It has been said many times, but these two can cover each other's weaknesses fairly well.

+
+

Now that my offensive core was complete, I needed a check for Talonflame, and Rotom-Wash does that perfectly as well as checking other mons, pivoting, and spreading burns.

+
+
+

Looking at my team I saw I really had no out to Mega-Sableye, so I added Clefable in order to counter that weakness.

+
+
+
+

I knew I was going to need another wall as well as something to set up rocks. Furthermore, one of the things I hate the most is not having a grass type, because my opponent is able to go for the Spore or Leech Seed without the worry of immunity. Thus, Ferrothorn was added.

+
+
+
+
+

Finally, I needed a defogger to get rid of hazards, specifically sticky web as that really hinders Mega-Gallade's performance. I also wanted my defogger to still have some sort of offensive presence, so I chose Latios.

+
+
+
+
+

After a bit of play testing, I realized one of the things I disliked about Bisharp the most was how limited his coverage was. Yes he trapped Psychics and Ghosts, but he was an offensive mon limited only to Dark and Steel moves. I know I could have added another coverage move, but that would take away from his main purpose. So I added Greninja in order to cover a wider variety of types while still maintaining a solid offensive core.

+
+
+
+
+

Losing Bisharp meant losing priority, and I always want to have at least one member with priority. If I was going to get rid of Clefable, I needed a Sableye check with priority. Talonflame does an amazing job at this, getting so many solid revenge kills and forcing mons out.

+
+
+
+
+

After even more play testing, one of the biggest problems for Mega-Gallade and Greninja was some sort of status ailment. I still needed a defogger, so the best option I had was Latias, which can defog, heal my core, and can tank some special hits.

Detailed Analysis:

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off

The main reason I made this team, Mega-Gallade. Looks amazing as a shiny mega, has insane attack, and 110 base speed allows it to keep up with the insane pace of the new meta. Swords Dance because that's literally one of the biggest reasons to use it over Mega-Medicham. The EVs are standard, Jolly and max speed to speed tie, while the rest is in attack. Close Combat to hit hard and fast, and while Drain Punch may be a good option for longevity, most times I use Gallade to sweep or put huge dents in opposing mons. Zen Headbutt is there as the secondary STAB move, though I have thought of switching to Psycho Cut because that miss chance has screwed me over in a couple of games. Finally, Knock Off provides a good out to Psychics/Ghosts and also takes away items. Originally I had Ice Punch in that slot since Bisharp covered the dark moves. Now that I'm using Greninja, Knock Off seems to fit better.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick
- Dark Pulse

My Bisharp replacement, Greninja provides great coverage and mixed offensive power for the team. Naive because I'm a mixed attacker with max speed. 40 into attack to ensure OHKOs with Gunk Shot on Azu, and the rest is in special attack. Gunk Shot is to tear apart fairies. Ice Beam is there for dragons, Lando, Gliscor, etc. The last two slots are things I have debated. I wanted to try HP fire because many times I've seen people switch in Ferrothorn or Scizor into Gren. But I figured I could run Low Kick to hit steels super effectively (not Scizor) and this way I have an out to Heatran. Dark pulse is there for the Ghosts and Psychics, as well as neutral damage on Rotom-Wash as that is also switched into Gren quite a bit. Something that bothers me a bit is that Both Gallade and Greninja have a Fighting/Dark move each, which seems redundant to me.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

The classic bird check. Extremely standard Rotom-Wash set here. Bold with max HP to help with physical attackers, 44 into speed to out speed jolly Azu, and the rest into defense. Volt Switch acts as a STAB move to provide a pivot. Will-O-Wisp is to deter physical mons. Hydro Pump is Rotom's best form of offense, and hits decently hard. Lastly, Pain Split allows Rotom to recover while still dishing out damage at the same time. I have considered a rest/chesto set, but since I have Latias to fix status problems, I opted for Leftovers as a form of constant recovery. Something else I've considered is changing the speed EVs, that way I'm slower than the majority of the other Rotom's, as I hate pivoting first.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost

The revenge killer and only form of priority on the team. Talonflame destroys so many pokes its crazy. Since I wanted to check Mega-Sableye I went for the SD version. Although CB interested me at first, I didn't like the idea of having no recovery, as often times Talonflame forces things out and allows me a free Roost. Adamant with max attack and max speed so I hit as hard as possible and come out with 351 speed allowing me to out speed 110 Spd+ mons. SD to set up, Flare Blitz to hit Ferrothorn and Scizor as hard as possible, Brave Bird as the main priority/clean-up move, and Roost for reliable recovery.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

My rock setter and Leech Seed/Spore check. Ferrothorn boasts some impressive defenses, and since Rotom is my physical wall and Latias is my special wall of some sorts, I decided on this spread in order to make Ferrothorn a mixed wall. Leftovers over Rocky Helmet because although the extra damage on physical mons is nice, the extra recovery proved invaluable. I rarely see Magnezone/Magneton, so I don't run Shed Shell. Gyro Ball is there to hit speedy pokes and fairies hard, while Power Whip helps against bulky waters and Water/Ground typing that gives me trouble. Leech Seed for added recovery and helps to force things out.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe -----> 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Last, but not least, my cleric/defogger. Timid with max speed for the speed tie, max hp to help tank, and the rest into SpA. Since I added Talonflame I definitely needed a hazard remover. Healing Wish to help a status inflicted/low HP mon back to full speed. Extremely helpful with a paralyzed/burned Gallade/Greninja. Psyshock and Draco Meteor to give some sort of offensive presence, but I am considering taking one out for either HP fire or something to help w/ Heatran as Ferro/Heatran are often switched into Latias. Also been considering a different EV spread/moveset to help Latias play a supportive healer, any suggestions?
Changed the EV spread on Latias to something that retains the majority of her bulk while also ensuring she has more of an offensive presence on the field. (Credits to Vinc608 and Der Twist)

Threats:

The scarfed variant gives me a little bit of trouble. Since out speeds Greninja and cuts Talonflame's attack, my best option is to predict the switch and burn/hydro it with Rotom.

/

Jesus Christ these things wreck me. First of all I can't even immediately tell which zard it is. Zard X is trouble if it sets up the DDs because then its faster than Gren and my only hope is to wear it out w/ Flare Blitz recoil and have Talonflame finish it off. If its running Fire Punch I'm in an even tougher bind. Zard Y on the other hand mows through a lot b/c of the sun, but luckily Gren out speeds it and Talonflame does some serious damage with Brave Bird.

*There are some probably some other threats that I just can't think of at the moment but these are the main problems.

Importable:
Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick
- Dark Pulse

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Final Thoughts:
Overall this team has helped me get back into the competitive scene and I'm hoping after getting feedback from everyone I can make some solid improvements. I know there have been many Mega-Gallade RMTs around the forums so this may be repetitive. Also, I apologize if there are any spelling/grammatical errors, not my strong suit haha. Thanks in advance to everyone that contributes!

Last edited:
Hello, i think this team is well-build.
1)
Also been considering a different EV spread/moveset to help Latias play a supportive healer, any suggestions?
Yeah, the spread 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spd is better. You have a LO recoil number, better bulk (you can survive a Ice Beam from Greninja LO after Rocks) and you don't lose any 2HKO / OHKO.

2)Your Talonflame doesn't have Gale Wings oO. You must have a Jolly Nature for SD Talonflame, because it outspeeds Scarf Zone, Raikou and Thundurus (Brave Bird +2 is a 2HKO after Rocks). The 252 Spd Jolly to speed tie against opposite Talonflame is also viable.
Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

3)Greninja is really a huge threat, so i think you need this spread :
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 156 SpD / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

You survive to 2 Dark Pulse after Rocks from Greninja LO.

Hope i helped :]

Last edited:
Hello, i think this team is well-build.
1)
Yeah, the spread 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spd is better. You have a LO recoil number, better bulk (you can survive a Ice Beam from Greninja LO after Rocks) and you don't lose any 2HKO / OHKO.

2)Your Talonflame doesn't have Gale Wings oO. You must have a Jolly Nature for SD Talonflame, because it outspeeds Scarf Zone, Raikou and Thundurus (Brave Bird +2 is a 2HKO after Rocks). The 252 Spd Jolly to speed tie against opposite Talonflame is also viable.
Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

3)Greninja is really a huge threat, so i think you need this spread :
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 156 SpD / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

You survive to 2 Dark Pulse after Rocks from Greninja LO.

Hope i helped :]
Wow haha, I didn't even notice I had the wrong ability for Talonflame, I'll change that right away. Jolly was something I had thought about, and you bring up some good points so I'll try it out for sure. Do you mind explaining the reason for that EV spread though? I was using Rotom-Wash primarily as a physical check, but I'll try out your suggestion and see how he works as more of a mixed wall as Greninja can be a problem. Thanks for the input!

Nice team, man! First of all, definitely go with the above Latias spread suggested, that EV spread allows her to take an Ice Beam from Gren from full and KO back with the Draco and generally gives her a better offensive presence. It balances her offensive and defensive prowess well is the long of the short of it.
I'm not sure about the afore-mentioned Rotom spread since that would limit your ability to deal with Lando, who's a big enough threat as it is, and birdspam. Actually, if anything, I'd suggest maybe investing in max defence. Max speed Azu is few and far between, you really are better off boosting Rotom's star quality to the max rather than bunging some EVs in unnecessary speed. If Lando is an issue then I'd advise running Ice Punch on Gallade over Knock Off. It won't solve your issues, but it will effectively provide a decent spread of mons with which you can neuter it on the switch; It can't switch in well into Gren with the Ice Beam risk, it can't switch in well into Rotom with the W-o-W and Hydro Pump risk, and now he can't switch in to Gallade for the Ice Punch risk. Even on Ferro he can't really do jack shit besides take recoil damage from Iron Barbs on the U-Turn switch (unless it's a Superpower set), honestly you have T-Flame to cripple stall like nothing else anyway so Knock Off support isn't paramount.
For the Zards... I have no clue, really without ruining the synergy of your team, your best bet is to bait them out with Ferro and double into Latias to drop Draco-nukes, I guess.
Great team, man! I like what you have here.

Nice team, man! First of all, definitely go with the above Latias spread suggested, that EV spread allows her to take an Ice Beam from Gren from full and KO back with the Draco and generally gives her a better offensive presence. It balances her offensive and defensive prowess well is the long of the short of it.
I'm not sure about the afore-mentioned Rotom spread since that would limit your ability to deal with Lando, who's a big enough threat as it is, and birdspam. Actually, if anything, I'd suggest maybe investing in max defence. Max speed Azu is few and far between, you really are better off boosting Rotom's star quality to the max rather than bunging some EVs in unnecessary speed. If Lando is an issue then I'd advise running Ice Punch on Gallade over Knock Off. It won't solve your issues, but it will effectively provide a decent spread of mons with which you can neuter it on the switch; It can't switch in well into Gren with the Ice Beam risk, it can't switch in well into Rotom with the W-o-W and Hydro Pump risk, and now he can't switch in to Gallade for the Ice Punch risk. Even on Ferro he can't really do jack shit besides take recoil damage from Iron Barbs on the U-Turn switch (unless it's a Superpower set), honestly you have T-Flame to cripple stall like nothing else anyway so Knock Off support isn't paramount.
For the Zards... I have no clue, really without ruining the synergy of your team, your best bet is to bait them out with Ferro and double into Latias to drop Draco-nukes, I guess.
Great team, man! I like what you have here.
Hey thanks man, means alot! Yeah I'll change the Latias EVs, as I did notice she didn't hit quite as hard as I wanted her to. If Azu's are no longer running max speed jolly for the most part, then I can try investing more into defense for Rotom. As much as I like Ice Punch, Knock Off really helps with psychics who can take the Close Combat and Zen Headbutt easily. I may have to mess around with it a little more before I'm fully sure which one I want to stick with. Yeah haha, that's basically what I'm forced to do if I see Mega-Zards, although I'm starting to learn to play around them better than before. Appreciate the feedback bro!

good team! id replace someone for scarf sheer force landorus because he handles both your teams weaknesses (if you have hp ice)

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
First I suggest running the spread Vinc suggested, you neeed to be able to outspeed certain pokemon so that you're not forced to switch out after you commit to something SCARFTAR THUNDURUS. Additionally I would try to run u-turn in place of roost. with stealth rock support if you u-turn on tyranitar you can knock it out the next time with a + 2 BB depending on the rolls you get unless its scarf tar in which you will always knock it out with sr support.

additionally i would try out keldeo over greninja. its a better answer to greninja because you dont have to rely on speed tying with it (watch out for extra sensory) and its a great answer to other dark types like bisharp/tar as well. you can defog for talonnflame then healing wish this up to deal with bisharp really well if you want. a CM 3 attack Keldeo works pretty well. CM 2 STABS icy wind / hp elec (for pre evo gyara) or even substitute if you desire.

Keldeo baits in latis to weaken and knock them out to prevent speed tie scenarios with gallade, baits in other rotom for talon, and can weaken teams with scald's great burn chance. CM Keldeo is a win con in itself; it's just a great mon in general i would definitely give it a try.

Hope I helped!

First I suggest running the spread Vinc suggested, you neeed to be able to outspeed certain pokemon so that you're not forced to switch out after you commit to something SCARFTAR THUNDURUS. Additionally I would try to run u-turn in place of roost. with stealth rock support if you u-turn on tyranitar you can knock it out the next time with a + 2 BB depending on the rolls you get unless its scarf tar in which you will always knock it out with sr support.

additionally i would try out keldeo over greninja. its a better answer to greninja because you dont have to rely on speed tying with it (watch out for extra sensory) and its a great answer to other dark types like bisharp/tar as well. you can defog for talonnflame then healing wish this up to deal with bisharp really well if you want. a CM 3 attack Keldeo works pretty well. CM 2 STABS icy wind / hp elec (for pre evo gyara) or even substitute if you desire.

Keldeo baits in latis to weaken and knock them out to prevent speed tie scenarios with gallade, baits in other rotom for talon, and can weaken teams with scald's great burn chance. CM Keldeo is a win con in itself; it's just a great mon in general i would definitely give it a try.

Hope I helped!
I agree, I'll change Talonflame's EV spread to the Jolly one, as I've found that to be more useful than the Adamant one. I've tested U-turn before and really liked it because it gave me great momentum, but I just hate taking away Roost or SD. SD lets me set up on mega-sableye and other stall mons, while Roost gives me the recovery to use another BB/FB after forcing a switch or recovering from rocks if I'm forced to come in. I'll have to experiment with each a little longer before I can make a sound decision. I've never actually used Keldeo before and I'm not sure why haha. I'll definitely play with him and see what he brings to the team, thanks!

Why dont you try rock polish bisharp? instead of pursuit go for low kick and always get in when you smell a defog a soon as they switch out you set up the brigth and work from there sorry for the lousy response im on the phone

Why dont you try rock polish bisharp? instead of pursuit go for low kick and always get in when you smell a defog a soon as they switch out you set up the brigth and work from there sorry for the lousy response im on the phone
I thought about Bisharp, but never a Rock Polish set. I'm not sure how that would work out. I thought one of Bisharp's best roles was to trap with pursuit

Its indeed a good option but forces a 50-50 even for you after getting the defog buff you can sit for the win in most scenarios

EDIT you must be sure of not revealing it too early tho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)