Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Simply put, what tier would you recommend a complete beginner to start practicing on. Straight into OU, or one of the lower tiers?

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Probably OU because it's pretty straight forward in my opinion. And probably stall for a play style. You get to find out the threats in the tier and you get to know the Metagame really easily, without having to make predictions.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Probably OU because it's pretty straight forward in my opinion. And probably stall for a play style. You get to find out the threats in the tier and you get to know the Metagame really easily, without having to make predictions.
Stall actually requires predictions, as one wrong play can mess you up and ultimately cost you the game. Adrian Marin can probably back me up on this, as he's a huge stall expert in both OMs and OU. As for you, LewGenesis, the playstyle I recommend depends on what you prefer, but the tier I'd recommend is still OU. If you like fast-paced matches, go with offense. If you like slower ones, take this suggestion and go with stall. If you don't care either way, try to build more of a balanced team.

Stall actually requires predictions, as one wrong play can mess you up and ultimately cost you the game. Adrian Marin can probably back me up on this, as he's a huge stall expert in both OMs and OU. As for you, LewGenesis, the playstyle I recommend depends on what you prefer, but the tier I'd recommend is still OU. If you like fast-paced matches, go with offense. If you like slower ones, take this suggestion and go with stall. If you don't care either way, try to build more of a balanced team.
Well my plan is to check out some of the various teams posted on the 'Rate my Team' subforum and use them to get a proper feel of competitive battling, as im totally not ready to create my own team. I'd also probably try out all the various types of team, stall, offense and maybe a more balanced team. Either way practice makes perfect, but I figured it'd be better to borrow somebody else's team for showdown to practice. That isn't against the rules, is it?

EDIT: And i'll go for OU first then.

Well my plan is to check out some of the various teams posted on the 'Rate my Team' subforum and use them to get a proper feel of competitive battling, as im totally not ready to create my own team. I'd also probably try out all the various types of team, stall, offense and maybe a more balanced team. Either way practice makes perfect, but I figured it'd be better to borrow somebody else's team for showdown to practice. That isn't against the rules, is it?

EDIT: And i'll go for OU first then.
Yes, it's not against the rules to use other user's teams.

Take my advice and take more time in researching various things, such as game mechanics, defensive structure, optimal EVs, and the metagame you want to play in general. The great irony is that 90% of users in PS! are not ready to make their own truly competitive team. Don't worry, this is because playing at a high level is hard; you're not alone! It's all about understanding the fundamentals of team construction. So if you lose against someone due to a flaw in your team structure, you should probably patch it up immediately. Experience is gained through research, and skill in battling will be much easier to acquire with a well-constructed team. I think you should build your own teams and of course, check out the RMT subforum.

Although the majority of players suggest using offense over stall to beginners, I have to disagree. The strategy of the most common offensive playstyle in my experience (Bulky Offense) revolves around offensive cores with good defensive synergy to check common threats and destroy many opposers, such as walls, pivots, tanks, and checks. Bear in mind that defensive synergy isn't as simple as it sounds, as it is a lot convoluted than people conceive it to be. For example, type synergy is quite relevant, but it is not as relevant as many make it out to be. I realise this reply is more like a complicated guide than a simple answer, so I guess i'll stop and just wish you luck lol. Thanks for tagging me Pikachuun!

This is neither a question nor related to PS!.
In Scene 's first post of this thread, the "Room Suggestions" subsection should be removed as the room suggestions are no longer taken.

How do you sign into showdown? I've been trying for two days now and can not sign in I've been using this info to sign in is that not right or is it a different account that you have to set up?

When is the next- and when where the last server restart? I advance, thanks ^^
Uh next restarts are upto the admins but you can check how long it's been since the last restart anytime with /uptime

How do you sign into showdown? I've been trying for two days now and can not sign in I've been using this info to sign in is that not right or is it a different account that you have to set up?
Not sure what you mean by this. But if you mean registering and using an alt then:
first you click on the settings menu (the one with the gear picture) then click on the register button. This opens up a window where you have to create a password and stuff, after filling in the info, you click the register button. That registers that alt.
Next time you come in you click on choose name at the top of the page and then type in your name and password to log into the registered account.

If you mean that you can't login to your old registered alt, it's probably because you forgot the password and need to get an admin to reset it for you, you can still continue using PS by creating another account by the process i mentioned earlier (if you want a registered account that is).

If you mean you can't use an account you've been using but never registered, it's because someone else registered it and you cannot use that account again.

Hi. Me and my friends are making a pokemon boardgame RPG, and for the combat we are using the showdown. But I wanna know if there is a way to use something like codes in a friendly match, I want to burn a pokemon, cause damage or raise a stat just using a code. Can I do that in the simulator? Please it would be really nice to have some way to do that.

Ty

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi. So I was playing a match today, and I happened to Trick a Choice Scarf onto a Chansey. Later in the match I used the move Taunt on said Chansey and it gave the message "Chansey can't use Softboiled after the Taunt." On the next turn, Chansey used Seismic Toss. I'm positive it was holding a Choice Scarf, so I'm just curious if this is how the Choice / Taunt mechanic would actually work or if it's a bug.

Did you taunt it on the first turn after it came out? Because if you taunted it before it made a move and it was unable to use soft boiled that turn, the next turn it can pick a new move.

Morfent

formerly known as clifford the big red pawg
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi. Me and my friends are making a pokemon boardgame RPG, and for the combat we are using the showdown. But I wanna know if there is a way to use something like codes in a friendly match, I want to burn a pokemon, cause damage or raise a stat just using a code. Can I do that in the simulator? Please it would be really nice to have some way to do that.

Ty
There aren't any cheat codes in the way you're thinking, but you can still code your own cheats. Check /git for a link to the server's code, and take a look at learning Javascript, if you're up for it.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Did you taunt it on the first turn after it came out? Because if you taunted it before it made a move and it was unable to use soft boiled that turn, the next turn it can pick a new move.
Yeah I did. That makes sense thanks.

I have a question. Why is the cancel button (once you've made your move) so fucking useless?

It barely ever actually fucking works- it cancels you out, gives you plenty of time to select a new move, then fucking goes with the move you originally selected.
I'm just wondering because PO manages to have a functional cancel button just fine (seriously, replays are literally the only thing PS has over PO imo... and a non-retarded MRay ban I guess). Is it to do with the much larger load on the servers or something or is it just that PS fucking sucks?

Edit: Thanks Lunistrius, that makes sense. Was just wondering because it's something I notice a lot while playing and it just played a role in a farm league battle I lost

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)