Research Week ORAS Edition [Week 2] Won by ~Volbeatdown~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
shout-out to my Mazz for being the OG-OP
Hello, Underused!

Professor Kink here to present to you Week 2 of the ORAS edition of Research Week!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Week:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon or movesets I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Sign-ups can be as late as you want, but the week will always end on Saturday.
  • Early period means the first three days of the Research Week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after this period. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a Research Week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. You'll also get put in the UU Hall of Fame. Don't forget, participation in projects like Research Week help towards earning the Community Contributor badge!
  • I'm implementing a mandatory discussion in order to be considered as a winner of Research Week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the Pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.
  • Finally, I'd like to implore you to all please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW Pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a Pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it. How useful are these Pokemon in XYUU? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu and the Viability Ranking Thread as well.

This Week's Selection
Mienshao @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
-
-

Pangoro @
Ability:
Evs:
Nature
-
-
-
-

Dragalge @
Ability:
Evs:
Nature
-
-
-
-

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in the XYUU Hall of Fame (found in the Resource Thread)

Last edited:
I might just be going with the majority here but I'm gonna go with CB mienshao.
Now that Dragalge is allowed I'm for sure using that absolute beast. I'll try to actually ladder this time lmao.
Alt: JustWicked

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Two quick changes. Pangoro is now a completely open set. The Mienshao set is also open to interpretation with a "suggested set" provided.

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
Alt: 3 hands no purpose
Pokemon: Dragalge

I'll likely be using either Specs, or a more defensive Version with Tspikes. Switching it up now and then.

**************************************************----This Post will Serve as my Analysis---**************************************************

Obviously where I started. Specs Dragalge is fucking ridiculous, and its speed tier is pretty great for where it sits, with the capability to creep Pokemon like Chesnaught, Swampert, Hippowdon, Abomasnow, and many others. It's dual STAB combination is good, and it just jumped out more than Pangoro and Mienshao did, so i figured why not nuke some shit?

Krook was the next Pokemon I decided on, as it lures in a lot of bulky waters that Dragalge can slay with ease, as well as pursuit trapping Jirachi, making Dragalge's job a hell of a lot easier. These 2 have pretty decent type synergy, but are both weak to Ice-Type, unfortunately.

Tentacruel was a simple choice for this team, being a much appreciated fighting resist alongside Dragalge, but it also can set up Toxic Spikes, and can remove hazards fairly easily. It also serves as a more sturdy fire check that the aforementioned Dragalge.

Darmanitan was added next because having a strong fire type is incredibly important on almost any team, and he hits like a flatbed truck. Darm also lures in bulky waters like Krook, allowing Dragalge to come in on most Darm counters.

So Far, the team had quite literally nothing for Zygarde, which is pretty fucking important right now. SD AB]boma is so fucking good its insane and does an incredible job in slaying Bulky Waters, much like Dragalge, and forms a very potent win condition.

Florges is an insanely good cleric, as well as another good fighting check, as my team doesn't appreciate fighting at all. This thing passes wishes, clears Status, and is just a very good support option in general.

Team Ver. 1.0

This team rode me to ~1400, but from there it was a little shaky, which is never a good sign. I really didn't like being so weak to ground, and Krook in general, and not gonna lie, Toxic Spikes weren't as helpful as I expected them to be... So I made a couple Changes.

Team Ver. 1.1

Very Similar to the last version, but Mienshao accomplished a lot more as the teams Scarfer (no, it isn't banded :[). Starmie is working very well as Spinner/Fighting Check, just like Tenta did, but with better typing in my opinion, and Natural Cure to absorb status.

Whelp... I'm sitting at 1543 at the time of writing this, and I know this team front and back. Time to analyze, but be warned, i'm not great at analyses. Onto the team!

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Scald

The star of the show. Specs Dragalge is something that many people have tried, with it's newly released ability, Adapdability, but only a select few have used this monster to success. Simply put, it hits mad hard. It's dual STAB combination is actually quite good, as Sludge Wave demolishes fairies that may want to come in on Draco Meteors. Focus Blast is here for Steel-Types that sponge Draco (basically Empoleon and SpDef Mega-Aggron). I have clicked Scald literally once, but it is here incase of dire situations where I need a burn, or if it actually is my best option. The speed investment creeps Chesnaught and Hippowdon, while at the same time beating things slower than these 2, most notably, Relaxed Swampert. Also, Dragalge's Draco does over half to Scarf Jirachi, which is absurd.

Role: Punch Holes in their shit so Abomasnow and Mienshao can hopefully clean up, with any success.

Krookodile @ Dread Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Krookodile is here for a few big reasons. It can pursuit trap Jirachi, which makes Dragalge's job a hell of a lot easier, and it can also set up Stealth Rocks on free turns. Dread Plate Knock Off can oftentimes bluff Choice Band, letting Krookodile pick up some kills where the opponent wouldnt expect it at all. Scenario: Krook kills something off with Knock Off, but the damage suggests Choice Band, or even common sense dictates a banded set. They bring in their Lucario, easy setup! Wrong. EQ kills. This exact scenario happened against Plini in my replay vault. Krook can also come in on Mega-Beedrill (after intimidate, of course), and be guaranteed to live a U-Turn, meaning that if you are willing to let your Krook come down to like 6%, you can Pursuit Trap Beedrills, which I have done A LOT, simply because my team is fairly weak to the Bee.

Role: Pursuit Trapping, Stealth Rocks, Choice Band Ruse.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Being both the teams Rapid Spinner and Bulky Water means that Starmie has to carry a lot of weight. Starmie carries this weight better than Tentacruel did in the first team version, as it has reliable recovery, and better typing imo. The high speed Starmie has also gives it a lot of help, as it can speedcreep Zygardes that want to hit 300. Scald for the burns, Rapid SPin to clear hazards, and Ice Beam to hit Zygarde. Probably the best spinner in UU right now if I may say so myself.

Role: Bulky Water + Rapid Spinner.

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Ah, yes, the scarfer. Such an important role on any UU team. The scarfer can not only clean up late game, but can also form a potent revenge killer, and can easily pick up momentum if they carry u-turn, like mine does. Scarf Mienshao has put the team on it's back in many a situation, and forms as an amazing cleanup once Dragalge has punched it's holes. Not too much to say, but this Pokemon is also my means of revenge killing Beedrill.

Role: Clean-up once Dragalge has punched holes.

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

If Dragalge weren't already named "Star of the Show", this guy would be. SD Abomasnow is so ridiculously good in this meta, and not only because of Zygarde. Ice Shard is an amazing priority move, because most teams in UU are decently weak to Ice. (See: Replay vs. Plini). Now, just by sheer logic, what usually is the answer to being weak to Ice-Types? Bulky Waters, of course! The thing about Abomasnow is that it just sets up on bulky waters, and can annihilate offensive teams with boosted Ice Shard and Seed Bomb. Earthquake is only really used for hitting Rachi, Entei, Arcanine on the Predicted Switch-In, and I've actually never used EQ during a sweep lmao.

Role: Come in when holes are punched, set up, and throw down.

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Not too much to say about this. The team could really use a Cleric, and an extra Fighting-Check is never bad. Florges has fit the bill very well on my team, being a defensive answer to Hydreigon, Haxorus, Krookodile, and many others. WHile it has never done anything extraordinary, it's defensive backbone and cleric support (namely Heal Bell), have supported the team in immense ways.

Role: Cleric, Hydreigon switch-in.

Replays showcasing the team will be put here over time!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-195663352 A game where Dragalge punches some SERIOUS holes, and Aboma cleans up, easy peasy.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-196104791 Dragalge punched giant holes in both Toxicroak and Blastoise, which cleared enough for Abomasnow and Darm to clean it up.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-196444531 Not much to say here but destruction. I figured I should throw this in to show that the team can work well, even if Dragalge doesn't see the light of day.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-197348279 Dragalge destroyed Forretress and Infernape, and I knew that Abomasnow could do work with a set up.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-197351803 Dragalge and Krookodile softened and killed Gligar and Lucario respectively, and once Abomasnow picked up the SD, it was just over.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-197367097 I was salty about the Dragalge Freeze no doubt (I even thought I lost because of it), but I managed to come through courtesy of Mienshao, Abomasnow, and well-placed Stealth Rocks.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-197399604 Very close game vs. Emma Bae, but in the end Mienshao tanked a Waterfall, and Dragalge finished up.

Saturday - Team is doing well, at 24-6 right now, just over 1400. Dragalge + Aboma is proving to be really good.
Sunday - Ladder was down for almost all of today, didnt get to play at all.
Monday - Went up to 1460, back down, over and over...
Tuesday - Back up to 1450, beat Swagilyph and Kokoloko, but didn't save reaplys for either, rip. I was recording and it's on my Youtube though(shameless plug here).
Wednesday - It seems that I am the first of us to hit 1500, so go me!
Thursday - Didn't ladder, Merry Christmas!
Friday - Whoo, at ~1550, not bad at all.
Final Day -

And I really must say, thank you very much to LiberalLucario (Nolan), for helping me out with this team, it means a lot, and I think it'll be pretty damn fun!

Last edited:
So I maaay or may not have shitted it up with last week's team. Not this one, though, this has two of my favorites nukes in Choice Band Mienshao and Dragalge.

Alt: Hero of Tuchanka
http://gyazo.com/aa1d91cacdff15574e914976191509e6
Pokemon: CB Mienshao and Dragalge

Also I'm gonna be a total chump and steal Volbeatdown's formatting, at least the in-depth analyses and replay vault, because I change teams like a motherfucker.

Ain't nothing here yet, chump!

Ain't nothing here yet, chump!

I would like to show this replay between me and 0kay, who is also using a research team:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-195659378

Other than the freeze hax, the game was relatively well-played and quite close as well. I was running CB Shao and Specs Chandy as wallbreakers, Umbreon + Gligar as a defensive core, NP Celebi as a win-con, and M-Aero as a Pursuiter for Shao + a cleaner should Celebi not be able to win. He was running Specs Dragalge + ScarfDarm + M-Pidgeot as an offensive core, and Swampert + Chesnaught + Starmie as a defensive core.

Both of our research pokemon immensely pressured the other team. CB Shao was only checked by Starmie (taken out relatively early) and Dragalge. My Umbreon was basically the only thing that could hope to take out Dragalge. As we eventually withered down each others teams, he was able to take out my Umbreon and could easily destroy my team with Dragalge at that point. CB Shao also put in work and pressured most of his team, since he had nothing to take a hit.

I think that this just shows how effective Dragalge is versus teams that aren't prepared, such as mine. CB Shao so far in general has been working out great. It just bluffs the Scarf set, with usual U-turns and stuff, and then crushes an unsuspecting wall with a Reckless High Jump Kick. The surprise factor is very good. Obviously it didn't work as well in this battle, but it would have done a lot of work if my opponent was not aware.

So yeah, tl;dr powerful wallbreakers are powerful

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Working on teambuilding in my head now, and was hoping to start playing with it but Showdown is not loading on my work computer. In any case, count me in.

Using: CBShao
Username: Tommy Shay (assuming PS lets me have the name - see aforementioned trouble with PS)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)