Other Lower Tier Threats (ORAS Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prankster Roost? I don't think Sableeye has a form of recovery that removes almost all its weaknesses and lets it stall with Toxic...

But instead of arguing I'll go back to raising this Tyranitar in X/Y and bid you a fond adieu.

Prankster Roost? I don't think Sableeye has a form of recovery that removes almost all its weaknesses and lets it stall with Toxic...

But instead of arguing I'll go back to raising this Tyranitar in X/Y and bid you a fond adieu.
LOL, even when roosting murkrow has more weaknesses than sableye.

Along with a better movepool, higher stats in defense, and magic bounce mindgames+calm mind.

Recreant an easy way to solve this is to say that you can only list Pokemon that are both <BL and are listed on the OU Viability Rankings, unless given a special exception. This will filter out the nonviable/non-lower-tier reservations.
Sounds like a plan.

Stef0w said everything that I needed to. Murkrow is not a good Pokémon. Even if you write an analysis, it will not be added.

Uhh.... it's a niche pokemon that can be designed to tear apart either special walls, physical walls, shut down leads, or beat physical attackers. It's not an "automatically toss onto every team" pokemon, but a sensible player that knows his team has a hole can fill it with a Prankster Murkrow.

(hell, I'm not even sure why Liepard Prankster is used over Murkrow Prankster.)

But if you want me to reserve a more manestream pokemon, then Roserade. :p
I can think of a million pokemon that can do exactly that, and that are actually good in OU. Murkrow has no niche that makes it game changing in any situation

edit: mew is basically a better murkrow just without prankster

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Baton Pass
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump / Surf

Role: Shell Smash Baton Passer

Now you may be thinking: "the hell? An NU mon in the OU threat list?" and yes gorebyss will seem far-fetched at first but hear me out. Gorebyss' main role is a shell smash and baton pass user being one of only 3 in the game and the best one in OU. Not only is it a bulky water type which is amazing in this meta, but it has pretty solid stats defensively that allows it to set up on majority of the meta, most notably Greninja which it beats 1v1 unless greninja is scarfed. And offensively it is really good too. 114 special attack at +2 with a solid offensive typing is really threatening even with no investment so when you aren't passing to your teammates you can put in work with Goreb. I'm not saying this is going to be your shell smash sweeper, it's too slow and is thus outsped by a lot of scarfers even at +2. Being able to sweep a little with hydro pump and ice beam is just a bonus and is why it has a seriously underrated niche in OU despite it being NU. The main idea for the set is to use shell smash and get +2 in speed and attacks then baton pass into your main attacker and proceed to destroy whatever you see. It is perfect if you need something bulky that can baton pass a whole lot of boosts in one turn while still having a way to hurt your enemy. Not to mention shell smash boosts both attack and special attack by +2 which means you don't need to be picky with baton pass receivers, and it allows you to be more versatile with your baton pass team. Hydro pump and ice beam are for coverage and helps gorebyss not to be dead weight the whole game. It doesn't really need anything else because it's not going to be your main sweeper, so don't bother adding something like HP fire/grass.

So to sum it all up: Gorebyss is the only viable thing that can baton pass shell smashes and has great offensive presence with potential to sweep too. Great bulk and water typing makes it great in this meta and it is one of the only baton passers that beats greninja 1v1 (the EV spread helps it do that a bit better). It does it's job quickly, set's up on a ton of pokemon and isn't a complete shit mon by itself unlike a lot of baton passers

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Oh shit forgot about Cobalion

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 144 HP / 112 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock / Taunt / Iron Head / HP Ice

Roles: Pivot, Support

Cobalion uses its incredible typing combined with its high defense to work as an Supportive Pivot. It is one of the fastest volt-switchers in the game and is the only viable one with Stealth rocks.
Volt switch is a mandetory move which makes Cobalion a fast momentum grabber for offensive and balanced cores alike. Close combat is your strongest physical STAB, which hits important pokemon like Bisharp, Excadrill, Tyranitar and Terrakion. it also does a fair amount against neutral targets. The final two moves are up for what your team needs. Stealth rock is annoying and gives you chip damage against most teams, especially Flying Spam. Taunt lets you shut down opposing setup sweepers and certian hazard setters like SD M-scizor without superpower and Skarmory. Iron head finally gives you a secondary STAB which makes Fairies think twice about switching in on you and you can hax the living hell out fo them with flinch. Finally HP Ice is a niche option if oyu really dont wat Lando/Gliscor switching in on you The HP EVs are enough to survive Excadrills EQ while the remaining EV go into attack to maximize your damage output, max speed with a Naive nature lets you speedtie with the other pokemon in the 108 speed tier, namely Keldeo and Terrakion. Lefties gives you passive recovery, something which improves your survivabilty and negates SR damage.

boltsandbombers k
imo you should emphasize Cobalion's ability to take on Bisharp for VoltTurn teams, because that's what got it a spot in the Viability thread in the first place.

imo you should emphasize Cobalion's ability to take on Bisharp for VoltTurn teams, because that's what got it a spot in the Viability thread in the first place.
Also, cobalion is a good partner mega latias, because of it's ability to beat most dark types, allowing subCM stored power latias to sweep.

Reserved for Mienshao

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Poison Jab / Knock Off / Ice Punch

Role: High Jump Miss/U-Turn Physical Attacker

Overall

Mienshao is a decent Pokemon that best serves as a Hit-and-run U-Turner thanks to U-Turn (duh) and it's great ability Regenerator. Jolly nature is used to get as much speed as possible with Mienshao's decent base 105 speed. Life Orb is chosen as the held item thanks to its great synergy with Regenerator: Mienshao goes in, uses Fake Out, then U-Turns out to heal and keep momentum.

Moveset
Fake Out to come in, flinch, then GTFO. U-Turn to scout and GTFO. High Jump Kick is there to miss every single fucking time and have the enemy Bibarel KO you with Take Down hit hard neutrally and super effectively against stuff like Ferrothorn and Bisharp. The last slot won't OHKO anything except Lati switch-ins with Knock Off and a possible KO on Specially Defensive Gliscor with Ice punch and is mainly for coverage. Poison Jab hits Fairy types super effectively but should be used if you are certain you'll KO/you're ok with sacking Mienshao since it will not KO from full health fat Fairy types and will get you smacked in the face with a Moonblast (I calced all OU Fairy Moonblasts vs Mienshao and they OHKO). It does OHKO Mega Gardevoir, which is nice. Knock Off is there if you want the tasty utility and the Super Effective hits on Psychic or Ghost type switch-ins that want to make you miss High Jump Kick (you'll miss it anyway so don't worry). Ice Punch is slashed last because it is inferior to the other two options but still is worthy of mention since it hits many relevant mons for x4.
Team Options
VOLT-TURN BABY.
Mienshao wants teammates that appreciate the chip damage it brings (everyone appreciates chip damage) can sponge hits after he goes in and keep momentum with it.
Cool Calcs
252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 304-359 (109.7 - 129.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 437-515 (122.4 - 144.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Sylveon: 216-255 (54.8 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Poison Jab vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 315-372 (80.3 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 291-348 (91.2 - 109%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 268-316 (98.8 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO (pray to your hax gods, peasants)
252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 322-382 (106.6 - 126.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao U-turn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 234-276 (77.4 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I don't even know what I'm doing. Fake Out does 21-25% to most non-invested non-bulky mons

Last edited:
I'm legitimately surprised nobody did this post yet now that this baby's going to be released soon:

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 16 Def / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain / Knock Off / Glare / Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fire]

Role: Cleaner / Wallbreaker

Overall:

FINALLY! CONTRARY SERPERIOR! THE DREAM IS REAL! :D

While it would have been nicer if Contrary Serperior came out the gen it came from, it can still be a deadly force in the ORAS metagame as a wallbreaker / cleaner. With access to Leaf Storm giving it essentially a free Nasty Plot boost every time it attacks, Serperior swiftly becomes a solid threat that can decimate teams not carrying Steels or if the Grass resists have been previously killed. Be weary of this monster if your team is weakened, as not much will stop a +6 Leaf Storm besides obvious resists.

Having access to Contrary also makes Serperior, like Bisharp, a decent stop to Defog, as Serperior will gain an Evasion boost when hit by Defog. Teams that need ways of breaking CroCune, Mega Slowbro, Mega Sableye and stall in general, look no further in Serperior!

Moveset details:

Leaf Storm is mandatory, as Serperior needs this to fully utilize its Contrary Ability, gaining +2 Special Attack with each use. Dragon Pulse is also highly recommended as it's the only other decent special attacking coverage option it has besides Hidden Power.

The last two options are interchangeable. Giga Drain is a preferred option as it provides recovery to combat Life Orb recoil. Knock Off is, well, Knock Off. Glare is a neat trick Serperior can pull off to actually paralyze Ground types like Scarf Lando and even the Electric-immune Mega Sceptile. It has "reliable" recovery in Synthesis, but with PP of 8, Rain becoming more prominent in OU and Sand Offense still a somewhat common playstyle, +2 Giga Drain is generally more preferred, but Synthesis still has its uses as Life Orb recoil doesn't wear down Serperior with Synthesis use.

The Hidden Power choice is ultimately dependent on what your team needs in terms of coverage. The preferred options are Ground to hit Heatran and Magnezone and Fire to hit Scizor, Skarmory and Ferrothorn. The sucky thing about this predicament is you're essentially choosing what you'll be walled by, so choose wisely.

29 HP IVs allow you to take the least amount of Life Orb recoil, allowing you to hit a maximum of 11 times rather than 10. 240 Speed EVs and Timid nature still allow you to outpace positive base 111s and below, such as the genies, the Lati twins, Mega Gallade, Mega Diancie and Gengar. This allows you to invest in Serperior's bulk in any area of your choosing.

Team options:

The list of things that wall Serperior's Leaf Storm and Grass in general are vast. A few examples of this include:

Talonflame
Charizard
Ferrothorn
Heatran
Venusaur
Amoonguss
Skarmory
Metagross
Klefki
Magnezone
Scizor

I could keep going, but I'd like to keep this section short.

Magnezone makes a great partner to Serperior as it traps Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Klefki, and thanks to Serperior's access to Knock Off, if any of these guys are holding Shed Shell, they can kiss it goodbye. Dugtrio is also a decent teammate as he can trap Heatran, opposing Magnezone and Metagross. Rotom-W and Heatran make a decent FWG core with Serperior and can act as bird spam checks to stop Talonflame, and Heatran can check both Charizard forms.

Some dank calcs:

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. +6 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 234-276 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. +3 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Sableye: 136-161 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- 28.5% chance to 2HKO

+6 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 390-460 (60.7 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(SERPERIOR BEATS CHANSEY 1V1 D:)

Last edited:
H
I'm legitimately surprised nobody did this post yet now that this baby's going to be released soon:

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 16 Def / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain / Knock Off / Glare / Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fire]

Role: Cleaner / Wallbreaker

Overall:

FINALLY! CONTRARY SERPERIOR! THE DREAM IS REAL! :D

While it would have been nicer if Contrary Serperior came out the gen it came from, it can still be a deadly force in the ORAS metagame as a wallbreaker / cleaner. With access to Leaf Storm giving it essentially a free Nasty Plot boost every time it attacks, Serperior swiftly becomes a solid threat that can decimate teams not carrying Steels or if the Grass resists have been previously killed. Be weary of this monster if your team is weakened, as not much will stop a +6 Leaf Storm besides obvious resists.

Having access to Contrary also makes Serperior, like Bisharp, a decent stop to Defog, as Serperior will gain an Evasion boost when hit by Defog. Teams that need ways of breaking CroCune, Mega Slowbro, Mega Sableye and stall in general, look no further in Serperior!

Moveset details:

Leaf Storm is mandatory, as Serperior needs this to fully utilize its Contrary Ability, gaining +2 Special Attack with each use. Dragon Pulse is also highly recommended as it's the only other decent special attacking coverage option it has besides Hidden Power.

The last two options are interchangeable. Giga Drain is a preferred option as it provides recovery to combat Life Orb recoil. Knock Off is, well, Knock Off. Glare is a neat trick Serperior can pull off to actually paralyze Ground types like Scarf Lando and even the Electric-immune Mega Sceptile. It has "reliable" recovery in Synthesis, but with PP of 8, Rain becoming more prominent in OU and Sand Offense still a somewhat common playstyle, +2 Giga Drain is generally more preferred, but Synthesis still has its uses as Life Orb recoil doesn't wear down Serperior with Synthesis use.

The Hidden Power choice is ultimately dependent on what your team needs in terms of coverage. The preferred options are Ground to hit Heatran and Magnezone and Fire to hit Scizor, Skarmory and Ferrothorn. The sucky thing about this predicament is you're essentially choosing what you'll be walled by, so choose wisely.

29 HP IVs allow you to take the least amount of Life Orb recoil, allowing you to hit a maximum of 11 times rather than 10. 240 Speed EVs and Timid nature still allow you to outpace positive base 111s and below, such as the genies, the Lati twins, Mega Gallade, Mega Diancie and Gengar. This allows you to invest in Serperior's bulk in any area of your choosing.

Team options:

The list of things that wall Serperior's Leaf Storm and Grass in general are vast. A few examples of this include:

Talonflame
Charizard
Ferrothorn
Heatran
Venusaur
Amoonguss
Skarmory
Metagross
Klefki
Magnezone
Scizor

I could keep going, but I'd like to keep this section short.

Magnezone makes a great partner to Serperior as it traps Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Klefki, and thanks to Serperior's access to Knock Off, if any of these guys are holding Shed Shell, they can kiss it goodbye. Dugtrio is also a decent teammate as he can trap Heatran and Metagross. Rotom-W and Heatran make a decent FWG core with Serperior and can act as bird spam checks to stop Talonflame, and Heatran can check both Charizard forms.

Some dank calcs:

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. +6 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 234-276 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. +3 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Sableye: 136-161 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- 28.5% chance to 2HKO

+6 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 390-460 (60.7 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(SERPERIOR BEATS CHANSEY 1V1 D:)
Hey, cool post I actually understood how Contrary Serperior will function in the OU meta when it gets released.
One idea I had is, could Meadow Plate be an item option ? It boosts it's main move while still enabling it to kill Heatran/Ferro and the likes with the Hidden Power of choice and obviously saving precious HP because of the absence of recoil. I can't calc atm but I think it would still kill Chansey at +6 but I'm not sure if +2 dragon pulse would still kill the Latis for example. What do you think ?

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 265-315 (88 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
do note that it only has 8 pp, tho i'm not saying it should be able to beat everything 1v1

Oh shit forgot about Cobalion

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 144 HP / 112 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat

Roles: Pivot, Support

Cobalion uses its incredible typing combined with its high defense to work as an Supportive Pivot. It is one of the fastest volt-switchers in the game and is the only viable one with Stealth rocks. Volt switch is a mandetory move which makes Cobalion a fast momentum grabber for offensive and balanced cores alike. It has an important niche in beating Bisharp for Volt-turn teams and for handeling dark types in general. Close combat is your strongest physical STAB, which hits important pokemon like the before mentioned Bisharp, Excadrill, Tyranitar and Terrakion. it also does a fair amount against neutral targets. The final two moves are up for what your team needs. Stealth rock is annoying and gives you chip damage against most teams, especially Flying Spam. Taunt lets you shut down opposing setup sweepers and certian hazard setters like SD M-scizor without superpower and Skarmory. Iron head finally gives you a secondary STAB which makes Fairies think twice about switching in on you and you can hax the living hell out fo them with flinch. Finally HP Ice is a niche option if oyu really dont wat Lando/Gliscor switching in on you The HP EVs are enough to survive Excadrills EQ while the remaining EV go into attack to maximize your damage output, max speed with a Naive nature lets you speedtie with the other pokemon in the 108 speed tier, namely Keldeo and Terrakion. Lefties gives you passive recovery, something which improves your survivabilty and negates SR damage.

boltsandbombers k
Is Naive really necessary? Volt Switch is only used for the utility, like Pidgeot or Lando-I's U-Turn, and not to deal massive damage. I'd run Jolly so none of your defenses are lowered.

Is Naive really necessary? Volt Switch is only used for the utility, like Pidgeot or Lando-I's U-Turn, and not to deal massive damage. I'd run Jolly so none of your defenses are lowered.
Naive is for the HP ice variants so you 2hko defensive landorus-t (ones without spdef investment anyway)

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latias: 265-315 (88 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
do note that it only has 8 pp, tho i'm not saying it should be able to beat everything 1v1
Thanks for the latias calc

Karxrida

Standard Latias actually runs 72 HP so it isn't 2HKO'd by Thundurus' HP Ice, thus it's never KO'd by Serperior without Rocks or LO Recoil (and it isn't even guaranteed without both).

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 268-317 (84 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

180 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 242-286 (83.7 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It can definitely win against Latias, but you aren't checking it.

Last edited:
Standard Latias actually runs 72 HP so it isn't 2HKO'd by Thundurus' HP Ice, thus it's never KO'd by Serperior without Rocks or LO Recoil (and it isn't even guaranteed without both).

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 268-317 (84 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

180 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 242-286 (83.7 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It can definitely win against Latias, but you aren't checking it.
One thing to note though is that if you're sending in Latias to Defog, rocks will be up, so Serperior will still beat in most of the time if it has already Leaf Storm'd (although, I don't know why that scenario will ever happen since you should never try to Defog on a Serperior and give it a free Evasion boost).
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 268-317 (84 - 99.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

EDIT: Just went back to the original quote and realized that Defog had nothing to do with this. Oops.

Kay, it's pseudo time.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 144 Atk / 236 SpA / 132 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower / Fire Blast
- Iron Tail

Hydreigon is quite frankly a very decent wallbreaker. It possesses pretty strong power and also has strong coverage, although with Fairies around, Hydreigon is no longer the "uncounterable wallbreaker" it was back in BW OU. Regardless, with Hydreigon's power and coverage, decent bulk, and not too shabby typing, Hydreigon does really well at muscling its way through walls. Draco Meteor hits really, really hard coming off of Hydreigon and is really hard to switch into. Dark Pulse is a neat STAB move that hits Psychic-types like Slowbro, Mew, etc. while also doing nice damage to Skarmory, especially given that Hydreigon can take advantage of both Slowbro and Mega Slowbro alike. Superpower hits Chansey, while Iron Tail muscles through Clefable, Sylveon, and Togekiss that try to switch in. Hydreigon can get a few switch-in opportunities to stuff like Slowbro, Mega Sableye, etc. With this set, Hydreigon also happens to be an excellent teammate for Mega Metagross, being able to crush some of its counters like Skarmory, Slowbro, etc. Mega meta, in return, smashes the living hell out of Fairy-type Pokemon.
I have a few questions regarding those EVs on Hydreigon. What does 132 in Spe outspeed and lose out on? And what does 144 ATK KO that is important to have 144 Attack EVs? Just a few questions.

Mega Swampert
Swampert @ Swampertite
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance / Superpower / Low Kick
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Role: Swift swim sweeper

Swampert mega is one of the best rain megas out there. Swift swim doubles its speed, and combined with it's high attack stat, it can easily clean up weakened teams. Waterfall and earthquake provide good STABs, while Ice Punch is important coverage to hit grass types and the Lati twins. Swampert can also set up rain dance for itself if it needs to, but low kick or superpower can also be used if you need to hit rotom-w / ferrothorn. Swampert and other swift swim users such as kingdra are both very underrated, and teams are not prepared for them. Evs outspeed something under rain, while the rest is dumped into attack and HP for bulk and to maximize it's damage output.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Going out right now so I don't have time to elaborate, but please don't add Galvantula. It's outclassed by a ton offensively and by Shuckle as a webs setter, and Shuckle probably isn't even viable anymore now that we have Magic Bounce mons that don't suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)