Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Another question for you guys. When you finally figure out what team you plan on going with, how do you go about getting said team inside the actual game?
The best way really is to catch and breed the Pokemon. It's a long process, but it's worth it. Check this.
Hi there, I'm completely new to competitive pokes and been playing for 3-4 days OU now. (with practising playstyles in random battles during the past few months a little + viewing a few youtube videos^^)
While working on a good first team I've got myself stuck in a rating about 1600 +-300-400 and ... well I'm not really 100% satisfied with that :/
In the RMT section I found this thing which tells me that nobody wants noobteams in there and I should go to the Apprentice Program ...
Too bad that the next one starts 2nd January and I definitly don't have the energy to learn too much additional stuff after work ... my vacation is now until new year, until then I actually wanted to have earned enough experience to get higher by myself without the need to study/learn too much >.>
Aside from the fact I'd propably be disqualified from said program due to inactivity on all of my work days...
Soooooooooooo ... is there any way or any Forum here to post said team and getting suggestions for noobs like me that generally have no experience with team synergy or other important parts of teambuilding?^^

PS: Yes, I've read previous posts that go to the sample team thread, I just don't really like using premade teams 1:1, I'd rather get myself one, perhaps with a little help from outside.
it's awesome that you read the rules! Don't worry, just post it in RMT. By noob team, they mean something like a team of all Minun or something (heh Redew).
I'm confused. So I clicked watch forum for the smogon premier league thread and I got no alerts for any of the threads about it even though I clicked on "send alerts" for how I want the news of the threads on there.
Watching the forum only gives you alerts when threads are made, not when they are posted in. If you want an alert for each post, you're better off watching the individual threads.

Hello! my question concerns your battle strategy. When it comes to the part of mentioning the EVs being divided into which ever state needed for that pokemons set up. How do you go about getting those EVs? For example. I would like an arcanine in my party. It is explained that (An alternative EV spread of 248 HP / 196 Def/64 Spe) can be used. So what would I need to get that? I guess the real question is. Can you explain EV training? I think you guys could do it better for me.

Watching the forum only gives you alerts when threads are made, not when they are posted in. If you want an alert for each post, you're better off watching the individual threads.Exactly, there were no alerts about when the threads were made in the Smogon Premier League forum.

That's a little harder. You have to soft reset your game until you find something usable, or trade for one here on Smogon's Wifi forum.
Oh wow, so for the legendaries I've already caught, I've SoL unless I restart the game or trade for one?
Edit: Also, when looking at the different builds for pokemon, how do you determine what the best IVs would be? For legendaries do you just soft reset for nature and just hope you get decent perfect IVs?

Last edited:

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh wow, so for the legendaries I've already caught, I've SoL unless I restart the game or trade for one?
Edit: Also, when looking at the different builds for pokemon, how do you determine what the best IVs would be? For legendaries do you just soft reset for nature and just hope you get decent perfect IVs?
For whichever Pokemon you're looking for, you can either check out the Smogon dex entry for that Pokemon (just google, say, "Kyogre Smogon XY" and it'll be the first result) or you can check the Ubers subforum and look for the specific thread for that Pokemon, which might be a bit more up to date.

Unfortunately, for the ones you've already caught, you would have to start a new game to try and catch again. However, for the ones you haven't caught, here's a nearly-finished guide to soft resetting that might be helpful:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-xy-and-oras-97-44-done.3523818/#post-5909952

You can use a Synchronizer to get a 50% chance of getting the nature you want and all stationary Pokemon you encounter have at least 3 guaranteed perfect IVs. More details are in the link above.

Good luck!

For whichever Pokemon you're looking for, you can either check out the Smogon dex entry for that Pokemon (just google, say, "Kyogre Smogon XY" and it'll be the first result) or you can check the Ubers subforum and look for the specific thread for that Pokemon, which might be a bit more up to date.

Unfortunately, for the ones you've already caught, you would have to start a new game to try and catch again. However, for the ones you haven't caught, here's a nearly-finished guide to soft resetting that might be helpful:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-xy-and-oras-97-44-done.3523818/#post-5909952

You can use a Synchronizer to get a 50% chance of getting the nature you want and all stationary Pokemon you encounter have at least 3 guaranteed perfect IVs. More details are in the link above.

Good luck!
I looked at the dex entry, but it doesn't specify what you should have for IVs, only for the EVs.

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
I looked at the dex entry, but it doesn't specify what you should have for IVs, only for the EVs.
Oh sorry, my mistake. Ideally you want your IVs to be all 31. If that's not possible, you want whichever stats are most important to the Pokemon to be prioritized. For any offensive Pokemon, speed must absolutely be 31 (really goes for nearly any Pokemon in Ubers) followed by the relevant offensive stat. So for example, (if I am using HP/Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Speed), for something like offensive Latios, a spread of 29/29/29/29/29/31 would be preferable to 31/31/31/31/31/29 because Speed is so crucial. But you should just aim for the highest IVs you can get without losing your mind from soft-resetting.

Oh sorry, my mistake. Ideally you want your IVs to be all 31. If that's not possible, you want whichever stats are most important to the Pokemon to be prioritized. For any offensive Pokemon, speed must absolutely be 31 (really goes for nearly any Pokemon in Ubers) followed by the relevant offensive stat. So for example, (if I am using HP/Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Speed), for something like offensive Latios, a spread of 29/29/29/29/29/31 would be preferable to 31/31/31/31/31/29 because Speed is so crucial. But you should just aim for the highest IVs you can get without losing your mind from soft-resetting.
Well... it looks like I'm out of luck for the Regi's, Rayquaza, Kyogre, Latias, Cresselia, and Heatran. I guess that's okay. I'll soft reset for the rest.
Edit: Is it worth restarting and recatching the pokemon listed above for ideal IVs? Most of them are not in the OU category so is it worthwhile to try getting them competitive stats?

Last edited:
This is probably a very stupid question, but I'm lost.

I'm trying to find a forum or mentor to help me in the terms of building a competitive team and explain the basics and more finer points to playing this game.

Hi:

In my FireRed I have a charizard in my PC that has a different trainer name/ID than the one for the game's file. It was traded from either my LG or my 2nd FR. Is there any way to tell which game it came from? I restarted my LG and my 2nd FR so I can't just check.

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi:

In my FireRed I have a charizard in my PC that has a different trainer name/ID than the one for the game's file. It was traded from either my LG or my 2nd FR. Is there any way to tell which game it came from? I restarted my LG and my 2nd FR so I can't just check.
No I dont think you can check.

This is probably a very stupid question, but I'm lost.

I'm trying to find a forum or mentor to help me in the terms of building a competitive team and explain the basics and more finer points to playing this game.
Try this: http://www.smogon.com/mentorship/help

I have a goofy question but a question none the less, I'm getting Omega Ruby for xmas and am going to use pokebank to transfer my pokemon from X to my new game. I have been cloning a bunch of awesome shinies and have a good collection and was wondering if the cloned pokemon would transfer to my new game.

-Thanks!

You start out with a (hide)

and end with a (/hide)

To title the spoiler, do (hide="TITLE")

Except replace all of the parentheses with brackets.

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
hey what is a good team for a mono dark type team
Hi there! It's probably a better idea to ask these questions over IRC. The people on the #ratemyteam channel would hopefully be happy to discuss this with you. To join, click here and type in a username. After that loads, just type /join #ratemyteam in the chat window and you'll be in the channel!

Please be aware that Smogon is for discussing teams that are competitively viable. While I'm sure it's possible to make a competitive mono-dark team, you should be conscious of the fact that any advice you get is going to steer you in that direction. Welcome to Smogon and I hope you enjoy your stay!

I just want to make sure,
if you have a power lens on a Pokemon, and that Pokemon defeats a wild Pokemon in a battle, it will get 4 EVs in SpA, right?

I just want to make sure,
if you have a power lens on a Pokemon, and that Pokemon defeats a wild Pokemon in a battle, it will get 4 EVs in SpA, right?
It'll get 4 from the Power Lens, plus whatever EVs it would normally get from the Pokemon it battled. Pokerus will double the EVs it gets from both, so you can quickly max out a stat if you plan accordingly~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)