[2014] Rotom-H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to TheMantye for the outline
Overview
########

• Ungodly typing. 8 resistances that are both good and unique packaged together and an immunity to ground makes it wall many relevant Pokemon.
  • Does not give a single care about what Charizard Y, Venusaur, Talonflame, Mawile, Manectric, or Amoonguss want to do by merit of said resistances
  • Great partner for many top tier Pokemon like Garchomp, Mawile, Amoonguss, Kangaskhan
  • Only two weaknesses is great, but those weaknesses to Rock and Water hurt a lot
  • The Luigi to Rotom-W's Mario. Constantly outshined by his brother by merit of Rotom-W's neutrality to Rock, Water resistance, and easier to manage weaknesses.
  • Really fantastic choice regardless. A recommended choice over Rotom-W if you're a bit scared of Mega Charizard Y and friends.
Bulky Attacker
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Overheat
move 3: Will-o-Wisp / Volt Switch
move 4: Protect
ability: Levitate
item: Sitrus Berry
evs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpDef
nature: Calm

Moves
========

Thunderbolt and Overheat are your main STAB attacks
Will-o-Wisp allows Rotom-H to incapacitate physical threats
Rotom-H force a lot of switches with its set of resistances which you can take advantage of with Volt Switch. It also lets you get rid of a Special Attack drop from Overheat
Protect is the bundle of useful utilities we all know and love

Set Details
========

The listed EV spread allows you to always live max Special Attack Modest Rotom-W's unboosted Hydro Pump and get to a reasonable amount of HP afterwords with your Sitrus Berry
The rest is invest into Defense. If you choose to speed creep to get the Jump on Rotom-W, detract from Defense first.

Usage Tips
========

Overheat conservatively. It's very easy to see an Overheat coming and a -2 Rotom-H is a much less intimidating threat. When in doubt, Will-o-Wisp or Volt Switch instead.
Don't keep Rotom-H in on pokemon know to occasionally carry Rock Slide or Stone Edge to dispose of Talonflame and Charizard. You'll likely live the hit, but take uncomfortable damage in the process.
Rotom-W is generally a better Pokemon than Rotom-H, unless it is well suited for the team, as Rock and Water weaknesses are hard for it.

Team Options
========

Fits in with a lot of top tier Pokemon fairly easily
Garchomp likes Rotom-H dealing with some of the bulkier Grass-types Garchomp can struggle with
Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, and Mawile all like having Rotom-H as a switch in for Talonflame and Charizard Y
Kangaskhan appreciates Rotom-H dealing with Gourgiest and Ferrothorn and Fake Out from Kangaskhan can buy Rotom-H free time to burn things.

Choice
########
name:Choice
move 1:Overheat
move 2:Thunderbolt
move 3:Volt Switch
move 4:Hidden Power Ice
ability:Levitate
item:Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
evs: 252 spatk and spd, 6 hp
nature: Modest

Moves
========

-Overheat is a hard hitting STAB move, but lowers its Special Attack.
-Thunderbolt is a basic STAB move for it.
-Volt Switch is a STAB move that allows Rotom-H to switch out after using it.
-Hidden Power Ice is for Dragon-type Pokemon who resit both of its STAB's (looking at you Garchomp).

Set Details
========

EVS / ITEM / NATURE INFORMATION GOES HERE

Usage Tips
========

USAGE TIPS GO HERE

Team Options
========

TEAM OPTIONS GO HERE

Other Options
########

Safety Goggles make you immune to Venusaur's sleep which is a common answer to Rotom-H.
Rest Cesto is a nice strategy and great if Sitrus Berry is occupied.
Charti Berry is nice as it allows you to reduce one time the damage of a super effective Rock-type move.
Passho Berry is also nice as it reduces one time the damage of a super effective Water-type move.
Expert Belt lets you get OHKOs on Amoonguss and Mawhile with very little investment.
Discharge is cool with Manectric, as its Lightning Rod boost its Special Attack by one every time you use it, it also hits both opponents Pokemon.
Thunder Wave, Reflect, and Light Screen are all useful but team specific options to replace Will-o-Wisp for.

Checks & Counters
########

Even though Rotom-H can live its Hydro Pump with proper investment, big brother Rotom-W isn't taking too much back from Rotom-H's thunderbolt and loves switching into predicted Overheats.
Garchomp, particularly with a Lum Berry, can Rock Slide or Stone Edge Rotom-H to a KO.
Specially oriented Dragon-types that don't give up their Fire or Electric resistance with a secondary typing are good. Hydreigon and especially Goodra stand out here
Greninja can outspeed Rotom-H and hit it with Scald, Water Pledge, or Hydro Pump
Other Rotom-H can't kill other Rotom-H awkwardly enough

Last edited:
Laurel

can you check this to see if anything is needed before writing it up, I added the things given from the old thread and stuff, but i just need to check just in case.

Superbobbobbob3"member: 226178 said:
Rotom-W is generally a better Pokemon than Rotom-H, unless it is well suited for the team, as Rock and Water weaknesses are hard for it.
This isn't true at this point in the metagame, while rain is currently gaining popularity, it isn't even the second most common weather. At this current set of regionals, currently using the same rule set as VGC 14, Mega Mawile has 52% usage, a Pokemon Rotom-H easily counters; Rotom-W is really only a soft check because of Will-O-Wisp and even when burned Rotom-W takes around 40-50% from Mega Mawile's Play Rough. Of the top 12 most used Pokemon Rotom-H has someway of at least checking over half them. Right now Rotom-H is one of the best Pokemon in the format pretty much because of its typing, much better than Rotom-W.

IMO Life Orb, Safety Goggles, and Hidden Power Ice should all be towards the top of OO, Discharge and Expert Belt are pretty garbage.

http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/teams-vgc-15-fall-regional-championships/

keep in mind this is from the old thread and things recamended from it, i will keep these in mind, but I want to see what the QC people have to say about it.
and I do agree with you that Rotom-H is good if not the same lvl of op-ness as Rotom-W

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IMO Scarf and Specs be moved up from OO. They are so influential in the current meta that I see little reason to not push them up, and they are really good sets.

I dont understand the last part of checks and counters. Remove Water Pledge nobody uses that lol. I'd mention Safety Goggles over Charti and Passho Berry. Passho is really only for Gyarados and Rotom-W, Rotom-W more so, and most Rock Slide don't KO anyways. Overview kind of covers it but just mention Rotom-H is more nichey than Rotom-W because it has those water/rock weaknesses but it checks Mega Mawile and Mega Charizard-Y better. Both Rotom-W and Rotom-H beat Talonflame... The main reason to use the standard set is for Sun Teams... And Safety Goggles beats them badly.

Yes you can add a choice set.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IK ur still working on it, and im not QC so take this with a pinch of salt, but for the choice set IMO unslash timid and give it a set details mention. Choice Scarf really doesn't ever need Timid and it doesn't need to outpace Hydreigon without scarf as it isn't very common, and it wants all the power it can get.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
IK ur still working on it, and im not QC so take this with a pinch of salt, but for the choice set IMO unslash timid and give it a set details mention. Choice Scarf really doesn't ever need Timid and it doesn't need to outpace Hydreigon without scarf as it isn't very common, and it wants all the power it can get.
Considering Hydreigon was the 5th most used Pokemon in Masters at worlds with a whopping 27% of teams usage rate and the fact that a large amount of them were Specs, its not as irrelevant of a Speed tier as you make it out to be. Although, I do agree that Timid should be moved to Set Details, primarily because it can't do much to Hydriegon other than Volt Switch (SE HP Ice is still pretty weak against it). I am pretty convinced it should be removed entirely because Specs misses the guaranteed OHKO on Zard Y with Timid with Volt Switch, but I will let the QC decide this.

Like gamer boy, I am not QC, so anything I say is subject to change, but I feel like the bulky attacker set should be first on the list due to it better fulfilling Rotom-H's niche of checking Mega Mawile, Mega Zard Y, Talonflame, Moltres, Gardevoir and a couple others that Rotom-W has more trouble with. Mega Mawile is the big one with it being the 3rd most used Pokemon at worlds masters division and being able to burn it while resisting Play Rough is so nice to have around. Instead of KOing the slot, you instead make it useless so long as Mawile is on the field (although it isnt as useless as some because Mawile is Mawile :P). Being Choice locked into Overheat is something I have never liked, since it is very easy to capitalize on with how many Garchomp, Salamence, and Hydriegon there are running around. I just feel like the bulky set has always done what Rotom-H is supposed to do better.

Martin

Considering Hydreigon was the 5th most used Pokemon in Masters at worlds with a whopping 27% of teams usage rate and the fact that a large amount of them were Specs, its not as irrelevant of a Speed tier as you make it out to be.
i was basing it on the last VGC-rules battle spot usage stats, so that is why I was a little off.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh lord, the tag failed. No biggie though.

I am unsure where I expressed interest in writing this at, but I will postpone writing my two Ubers analyses a bit longer to can get this done. (and it won't take as long as Garchomp) These '14 analyses need to go.

After reading this article I'm not so sure about how I feel about WoW Rotom-H. I'd give it a read. http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/journey-darkness-9-0-nationals-team-report/ and add some of the stuff like LO Hidden Power [Ice] to OO.
As far as this goes though, I can see where offensive Rotom-H does come in handy and yes, that team does like it a lot more than Will-O. The two teams I built in late '14 are both slower paced than that khan artist offense. The way I was thinking when putting my own teams together was "how to I prevent momentum swing as much as possible?" since allowing turns of set up usually ended up with a lost game with the mons and strategies I was wanting to use. I guess this is why I am more biased towards Will-O, since you don't have to use Overheat nearly as much and potentially give your opponent a turn to capitalize on you -2 Rotom-H. Taking advantage of the ridiculous mawile usage by burning them and setting myself up was also a big draw to me.

Just some thoughts on Will-O vs HP Ice since they both have their uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)