Nickname discussion

I love to nickname my pokemon. Makes it more personal, imo. :)

I usually go with something that either makes me giggle or something that I just think fits the mon well. ...And I'm also quite notorious for some of my less appropriate nicknames... *cough*C-Spot*cough*

But contrary to popular belief, not all my nicknames are inappropriate. I can't say most of these are good, but I personally like them, and that's what matters... Am I right? ;)

Fry Guy the Tangrowth (M):

Toon World the Slowking (M): "Oh dear, I'm afraid you're about to enter into a world of pain, Kaiba-boy.. A world of chaos.. A world of absolute mayhem! That's right! A world of tooooons!" Or at least world of Trick Room.
Kuchi-kun the Mawile (M): Kuchi is the Japanese word for "mouth", and "-kun" is an honorific often used for young boys/as a petname. Plus, I think the name sounds kind of cutesy overall, and despite all its deadliness, Mega Mawile is adorable, imo.
Not a floaty the Aegislash (F): Part of why I suck at battling is because I always forget basic things and keep asking dumb questions like "Is Aegislash a floaty or can I EQ it?" I know it's not creative and just plain stupid, but it makes me giggle and I like it. xP
Two-Spirit the Azumarill (F-->M): This Azumarill is now male but was caught as a female Azurill. ;)
Stabby the Greninja (M): Protean gives it STAB on everything, and it makes me giggle.
Rikku the Flygon (F; Shiny): Reminded me of Rikku from FFX in a way (color scheme/goggles)
Kuja the Absol (M; Shiny): More FF reference. It's like, a fabulous angel of death. Also, it's one of my favorite looking Megas, and Kuja is my favorite FF villain, so.... <3
Zee Slurpuff the Slurpuff: Riiiide Zee Slurpuff?? (It makes me giggle, okay?) ..I could keep going with FF refs, but I should probably stop... xP
Westside the Garchomp (M): Garchomp kind of looks like both a shark and a jet to me, and I just kind of like the name.
YOLO the Dragonite (F): I mostly DD and use Outrage with it, so it's very "YOLO". xD
#YesAllWomen the Kangakhan (F): I never really got the whole twitter thing and the idea of #YesAllWomen makes even less sense to me/makes me giggle. Yes, all women are ass-kicking baby mamas. Yes, all women use Mega Kahn in the battle maison. #YesAllWomen

...And of course, because I'm me, I have Stiffy the Heracross (M, Shiny). xP

in my explorers of sky:
eevee is named vinny(i dont know how i came up with it)
my soul silver:
not very origanal but totodile named soulsilver
if i would have picked chicorita i would have done chico

I enjoy giving funny/ironic nicknames to my Pokemon - although I do try to be creative whenever possible.

I nicknamed my Lotad 'Duckter Who' in ORAS. Pretty simple reference; but I find it hilarious all the same (for some reason.)
I remember naming my Palkia 'Phallkia' on Pearl during my first 4th gen playthrough back in the day. Because... err.. of its phallic shape? :)
And, more recently, (like yesterday), I randomly nicknamed a wild Donphan I caught on ORAS. I
found the nickname 'MichellePhan' extremely fitting although rather embarrassing (I find it embarrassing because I'm somehow
familiar with Michelle Phan - my ex-girlfriend definitely had something to do with that.)

And who can forget Obamasnow? (I thought I was being clever at the time before finding out that it's like the most cliche name to give to an Abomasnow nowadays...)

I have 420+ 5IV pokes, all of which have a unique nicknames.

My favourites are "The Optimist", my Plusle, and "Bon-Bon", my Azumarill
Firstly, that is a lot of 5IV Pokémon. Secondly, "The Optimist" might be one of my favorite nicknames I have heard.

Firstly, that is a lot of 5IV Pokémon. Secondly, "The Optimist" might be one of my favorite nicknames I have heard.
Haha, I multitask a lot, and it's easy to just stick something in the daycare and dime trick the eggs with it on my desk

I'm proud of my naming sense, although a good portion of them are food or something outright silly, a couple are inside jokes with friends, or I'll have a breakthrough like with Plusle and it'll instantly skyrocket to my favourites list.

Now that I finally gathered and super trained them all I feel like sharing my Alpha sapphire storyline team.
Tamamo the Ninetales (Like a character from Fate/Extra)
Poseidon the Sharpedo (The greek god of the sea)
Nimue the Gardevoir (The lady of the lake, cause Gardy's male counterpart uses swords, sort of)
Midori the Sceptile (IIRC it means green in japanese)
Titan the Flygon (After the earth summon from final fantasy)
Eclipse the Absol (Dark type> Shadow. Something like that.)

When your first thought is Linkara's not HAL 9000 from Atop the Fourth Wall, you are a giant dork. This includes me. (Makes sense as he loves Arthurian legend)
Nimue would work well for a female Aegislash.
Haha, yeah, I have watched At4W but for the longest time I didn't actually know that was the name of the lady of the lake until I read "the mists of avalon" and I did some research.

One of my favourites would have to be King Delele the Kricketune. I also have a male Combee in Y named Smells Nice, which I use exclusively for Sweet Scent. In Omega Ruby, some of my best nicknames would have to be Kinda Weird the Oddish, Saidin the Latios, Hephaestus the Groudon and Typheus the Rayquaza. One day I would also like to possess a shiny Aegislash named Callandor.

Some of my nicknames are random, but I'd like to share a few more of my nicknames that I feel have some meaning.

Suicune: Aeolus
In Greek mythology, Aeolus was the keeper of the winds. In The Odyssey, he gave Odysseus the West(?) wind that he needed to get home and sealed the other winds in a bag, but when Odysseus's men opened the bag, the winds all escaped and ended up blowing their ship back to Aeolus, who then refused to help them again.
I named my Suicune after him because Suicune is, in a sense, the caller of the winds on my VGC team, because it is my primary Tailwind setter. Furthermore, in Greek mythology, Aeolus lives in a cave on an island in the middle of the ocean, which fits well with Suicune being a Water-type.

Kyogre: Poseidon
Come on, do I really have to explain this? Poseidon is the Greek god of the sea. Kyogre is essentially the Pokemon god of the sea. Both have total control over their domain, the ocean.

Heracross: The Beatle
I'm a big Beatles fan. And here we have a big beetle. I decided not to name it after any of the Beatles themselves because she's a female, and because I thought it would be a bit too obscure. But this is definitely one of my better puns.

Heatran: Scaldera
Scaldera is a boss in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. It's basically a sentient ball of lava and rock with spider legs, for those who haven't played the game.

When I was trying to come up with a good nickname for my Heatran, this boss suddenly came into my mind. Other than having bulkier legs, Heatran looks an awful lot like Scaldera, in my opinion, so I named him after it.

One nickname I recently used is Noah for my Kyogre. Yeah, not the most original. It is amazing how difficult it really is to nickname a legend. You want it to be good and completely appropriate, and sometimes it just doesn't come to you.
Also, while writing this post, I just came up with a good one for a female Mega Salamence: Sheila. Get it? Cause Sheila is common in Australia and there are boomerangs in Australia and Mega 'Mence looks like a boomerang...I'll shut up now.

Heracross: The Beatle
I'm a big Beatles fan. And here we have a big beetle. I decided not to name it after any of the Beatles themselves because she's a female, and because I thought it would be a bit too obscure. But this is definitely one of my better puns.
You could have always gone for Yoko.
Heatran: Scaldera
Scaldera is a boss in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. It's basically a sentient ball of lava and rock with spider legs, for those who haven't played the game.

When I was trying to come up with a good nickname for my Heatran, this boss suddenly came into my mind. Other than having bulkier legs, Heatran looks an awful lot like Scaldera, in my opinion, so I named him after it.
1) That is an excellent, out of the box nickname idea.
2) I remember that boss fight. It was satisfyingly difficult, especially after I've gotten so good at defeating King Dodongo in Ocarina of Time.
3) Quick, throw a Voltorb down Heatran's throat!

To anybody who knows about Xenoblade Chronicles: I've named my Mega Gallade after its main protagonist, Shulk. One could argue Dunban is a more fitting name, since Gallade is all gentlemanly and courteous, but I've chosen to name mine after Shulk, since Mega Gallade is a Psychic-type and that suits Shulk's premonition ability thanks to the Monado. Speaking of which, Mega Gallade has red blade edges that can extend, like how the Monado activates.

I'm one of those people whose nicknames need to have meaning– I don't do "Bob the Wailmer" or anything like that. So when I decided to breed for a Banette, I started thinking about what I could call her. I eventually came up with Queen Marie: Banette is based on voodoo dolls, and one of the most famous practitioners and Queens of Louisiana Voodoo was Marie Laveau. In addition, my Banette, used in its mega form with high attack, Prankster, and Shadow Sneak, serves as an "executioner" of sorts. One of the most famous members of royalty executed (by guillotine) was, of course, the French queen Marie Antoinette, giving the nickname a second historical shout-out.

If only Banette could learn Guillotine... that would some how make it more hilarious, and I'd actually laugh so hard if it swung and hit.

Me, I tend to come up with a name while I'm puppy-milling a batch of Pokemon, name them all the same name, and Wonder Trade away all but the best one and 3 for friends/trade.
Sandy Claws
Outuvworanty
LAAANDshark!
Chubby Korra (Belly Drum/Aqua Jet build)
Omnom
Shoryuken
Dr Eggmon
Kangandroo
Esper (with Maiwaifu reserved for the shiny one I'll get eventually, heh.)

...And I just realized how much breeding I've been doing. And I still want to breed up Gengars, Charizards, and a dozen more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)