Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hydroxylic Acid (Water)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hydrogen Peroxide

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Ok, now these choices are just getting ridiculous

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
Good morning, good afternoon, or good evening, RMT (depending on timezone)! Cobalt314 is back, this time with a brand new team in a brand new metagame. So, recently the rules for the 2015 VGC format were announced, and I have had some mixed feelings about them; on one hand, I'm glad that we can use any Pokémon from the National Pokédex, as opposed to only the Hoenn Pokédex, but, at the same time, I am not too fond of the fact that the Pokémon have to originate in a Generation VI game. But, rules aside, I am excited about the new format, and since this will give my competitive ability some purpose, I thought, why not make a team? So, eager to get into the process, I decided to build a team that I think is effective in the metagame. Note that this is only based on initial speculation, and since there is no viability ranking thread for VGC '15 yet, some of these Pokémon choices may be a bit subpar and less favorable than other Pokémon from which I could choose, but this is only a first attempt. I will first go through my teambuilding process, and afterwards I shall go in-depth in explaining the roles of each member of my team.
When I started building my team, I decided to start with one Pokémon that does rather well against common threats, as well as just being an overall Pokémon. from there, I would create the rest of the team, and if need be, I would make the necessary edits. So, looking through the list of Pokémon, I decided to work with Mega Metagross, as it provides both power and a nice resistance to Mega Salamence's and Mega Kangaskhan's STABs. My team was now 16.6666...% completed:

After putting Mega Metagross on my team, I decided to find a Pokémon that can take on opposing support Pokémon, as well as being able to provide its own status conditions. I looked through the list of Pokémon, and I found Thundurus-Incarnate, thus completing one third of my team:

I now wanted to find a Pokémon that works well defensively, yet at the same time can dish out some decent damage. I also wanted a Pokémon that covered Metagross's Fire-type weakness, and I found Rotom-Wash to be the perfect candidate:

Wish half of my team complete, I realized that I do not have a reliable answer to Dark- and Ghost-type attacks, and Metagross is weak to both of those types. While looking for such Pokémon, I thought about getting a good Dark-type or Ghost-type lead, and I narrowed down my search to Weavile, Sableye, and Scrafty. Sableye was not optimal for me since it did not resist those two attacking types, so that left me with only Weavile and Scrafty. I thought about Weavile's speed, and it was appealing to me, so I decided to try Weavile on my team:

With four of my Pokémon ready for battle, I decided to explore other teammates, in case I find myself in an unfavorable matchup. I also wanted to have another Mega Evolution, not only as a backup, but also as a way to play a few small mind games with the opponent, since the opponent won't know which Mega I'll use, or if it would even Mega Evolve at all (yes, I know this will seldom work, but it has its uses). I decided to find another defensive Pokémon, and Mega Venusaur was the first to come to my mind:

For my last Pokémon, I looked through the list of the most commonly-used Pokémon, and I decided to stick with something generic (i.e. something that you'd expect to find in any VGC team), like Garchomp. I've also had experience with Garchomp in both OU and VGC, and since it was my first shiny Pokémon (albeit given to me by Benga in the Black Tower), it always has a place on my team and in my heart:

After my team was complete, I decided to look it over one more time, to make sure everything was okay. As I was checking my team, I noticed that Weavile, due to its middling defenses, didn't really serve as a good Dark- and Ghost-type resist. I then checked on my other fake out candidate, Scrafty, and realized that, even though it has a low speed, has some nice defenses and a good utility with Intimidate, and I decided to put him on my team:

After doing some testing with this team, I realized that Venusaur was not the best option for a backup Mega Evolution. I spent quite a while looking for a replacement, but I then realize that a Pokémon that I wanted to use for a while has just received a Mega Evolution: Sableye. I decided that, since it was also a Pokémon that can use Fake Out well, I'll put it on my team and see how it works. Surprisingly, it works well, and thus, my first VGC '15 team has been created!

In-Depth Analysis:

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Protect

Mega Metagross is a new Mega Evolution introduced in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and it is one of the strongest ones introduced. With Tough Claws, high base stats across the board, and a great defensive typing in Steel/Psychic, Mega Metagross is a great Pokémon that is efficient in both offensive and defensive positions. Meteor Mash is Metagross's strongest Steel-type move, having a high 90 base power that is further boosted to 175 after factoring in STAB and Tough Claws, and it also has a chance of boosting Metagross's Attack. Ice Punch and Earthquake are purely coverage moves, handling opposing Mega Salamence and Steel-types, respectively. Earthquake is also nice in that it is a spread move, meaning it can hit multiple opponents for damage. Protect is used in the last slot to ensure a safe Mega Evolution and a safe speed boost. The EV spread used maximizes Attack and Bulk, and 4 Speed EVs are in place to resolve any speed ties with opposing Mega Metagross, should the situation arise.

This Metagross is simple to use: get it out, Protect, start knocking things out. At any moment in time, should field conditions become unsafe, I switch it out with a backup threat, like Scrafty (useful for healing off status with Lum berry, as you shall read later on), or Rotom-W, both of which resist the supercomputer's weaknesses. Meteor Mash may seem like an obvious choice to use, but I don't use it too excessively, out of fear of missing a crucial hit or KO that can be achieved with Ice Punch or Earthquake for equal effect. I tend not to use Earthquake excessively either, but since a lot of my allies run Protect, and those that do not are already in the air, I can avoid damaging my partner and concentrate the power solely on the opponents. Protect is also useful later on, as it gives me a free out on a dangerous attack, and I often use it when a new threat comes out, so that my partner can either use Fake Out if I just sent out Scrafty, Thunder Wave/Taunt in the case of Thundurus, or Will-O-Wisp if dealing with a physical type with Rotom by its side.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thundurus is my offensive utility Pokémon. The combination of Taunt and Thunder Wave is really effective at crippling opposing Pokémon, and it completely shuts down Pokémon relying on status moves. Even though his Ability is shut down by Quick Guard, he is nevertheless very efficient when using these two moves. When not wanting to use these moves, I use Thunderbolt as Thundurus's main STAB, dealing respectable damage to many Pokémon. Hidden Power Ice is the last move on the set, as it provides nice pseudo-BoltBeam coverage and is especially notable for getting a OHKO on non-bulky variants of Mega Salamence. The only true drawback to Hidden Power is having to spend hours getting Thundurus to both the right nature and with the right IV combination in-game. I chose Life Orb as Thundurus's item of choice, as it provides a nice power boost to his attacks, and he isn't really concerned with losing HP.

I usually send out Thundurus as one of my lead Pokémon, alongside Scrafty. He is very efficient at spreading Paralysis and Taunting opponents, effectively being a sort of anti-lead lead. I feel that he functions even better in Doubles, since he has two opponents which he could potentially cripple, and even if one Pokémon is immune to one of his status moves, the other Pokémon more often than not isn't, meaning he will be able to accomplish something on his first turn on the field. Due to his frailty, as well as Life Orb damage, I don't usually plan on switching out Thundurus, and I usually keep him on the field until he goes down; however, should I find the need to cripple another threat that the opponent might send out later on, I'll switch him out for a bulkier Pokémon, like Metagross or Rotom-W.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 60 SpA / 150 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Light Screen

I see Rotom-Wash as a very good defensive Pokémon. It can take attacks directed at it very well, and it doesn't do too badly on the offensive side either. Hydro Pump is its only Water-type attacking option, and as such it is almost mandatory to run. Thunderbolt is useful as a reliably way to deal with Flying-types, as well as dealing damage to everything that resists Water-type attacks (except Grass-types). Will-O-Wisp is another status condition my team can inflict, and it can be an effective undoing for opposing Physical Attackers. In the final move slot, I chose to go for Protect like 95% of all VGC Pokémon do. I run Sitrus Berry because it is rather difficult to wear Rotom-W down when used correctly, and when it does get down to low health, Sitrus Berry can get it back into a respectable range. The EVs and Nature were taken from the VGC '14 analysis.

Rotom-W can be used at any time with full effect. In the beginning, it can be useful for crippling opposing threats, as well as being able to set up a Light Screen. In the mid- to late-game stage, it is useful for taking out weakened opponents, as well as continued support through Will-O-Wisp and any paralysis obtained from Thunderbolt. One of the best uses for Rotom-W is as a countermeasure for Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame. I often switch out from Scrafty or Sableye and send out Rotom-W to absorb an attack directed at them, and then, since Rotom-W is able to absorb a Solar Beam from Charizard or any attack from Talonflame, I'd be able to KO with Thunderbolt or Hydro Pump, based on the opponent's other Pokémon. Rotom-W also has levitate, which is useful alongside Garchomp or Metagross, meaning they can use Earthquake without harming Rotom.

Scrafty @ Lum Berry Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def
Adamant Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Protect Ice Punch

I have had a lot of experience with Scrafty in VGC, to the point of writing up its VGC '14 analysis. Fake Out and Intimidate make for a great lead combo, holding back Physical Attackers and simultaneously stalling out setup for a turn. Drain Punch is a reliable STAB move capable of both dealing damage and prolonging Scrafty's lifespan. Thanks to the Battle Resort move tutors, Scrafty can now legally use Knock Off in VGC. While not dealing as much damage to Pokémon without items or Mega Evolutions, it still does well in getting rid of items from the other Pokémon, and Scrafty is best used for its utility, as opposed to being a purely offensive lead. Ice Punch is a good choice for the last moveslot to dish out good damage against Mega Salamence. The EV Spread, Assault Vest and nature improve Scrafty's overall bulk and damage output.

I usually send out Scrafty as my lead Pokémon, along with either Thundurus or Rotom. Intimidate, Fake Out, and a status condition from my partner work really well in slowing down the opposing team. Because Scrafty has respectable physical bulk, I like to switch him out multiple times in a battle in order to be able to use Intimidate and Fake Out multiple times, without much fear of the opponent's attack. Scrafty can also be sent in later on to absorb a predicted status condition, since Lum Berry can heal off status conditions once. The choice between Scrafty and Mega Sableye as the Fake Out lead is a difficult one; Scrafty has Intimidate and allows for the use of Mega Metagross, while Sableye has Prankster and Magic Bounce, as well as having only one weakness. I usually decide to go with both at the same time, but there are cases where I may want to save Scrafty or Sableye for later, so I can pull out consecutive Fake Outs. The one with which I decide to lead, in such a scenario, would be dependent on the opponent's team composition, and whether or not the majority of his Pokémon are Physical attackers or not.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

As this is a new addition based on comments, you can find a good rationale for switching to Aegislash in Fluze3's comment below.

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Fake Out
- Swagger
- Foul Play

Sableye is another effective Fake Out lead, and it has many tricks up its sleeve, or rather, gemstone. Protect is a standard move on nearly every VGC Pokémon, and Fake Out helps Sableye do what it's known to do well. I chose to run with Swagger and Foul Play, as that is an interesting yet deadly combo if it comes to fruition, and since it is allowed only in the VGC and Anything Goes metagames, I thought I'd try it out and see how effective it is. The EVs are in place so as to maximize its Physical defenses, since the majority of offensive Pokémon in the metagame, as well as almost all the commonly used Mega Evolutions, are Physical attackers.

Although Sableye is used primarily as a lead, as mentioned under Scrafty, I may want to save it for later for a late-game Fake Out. The turn Sableye Mega Evolves is the most crucial turn in all of Sableye's field time. Because the order of moves is decided before any moves are executed (except in the instance of Quash), Sableye essentially has both Prankster and Magic Bounce in the same turn. This leads to a very important decision that has to be made at the right moment. Mega Evolve too early or when the opponent uses Protect, and you lose of the utility of Prankster. Mega Evolve too late, and you lose out on Magic Bounce when it is most necessary. A great way to get the most use out of Mega Evolving Sableye, as I have found, is switching in Scrafty or Tornadus when the opponent is down a Pokémon or two, them down using Fake Out or Thunder Wave, and, once the opponent is slowed down, Sableye can Mega Evolve to get off a Swagger and start bouncing back moves.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Garchomp is the last Pokémon on my team, but by no means is he the least. Dragon Claw and Earthquake are the most reliable STABs for Garchomp, with the former being able to hit the desired Pokémon for considerable damage to anything that is not a Steel- or Fairy-type, and the latter being a solid spread move. Rock Slide is also a good move that provides great coverage against anything that resists or is immune to his STABs, as well as being able to make the opponent flinch at a crucial moment. Protect because VGC. I chose Yache Berry as the preferred item to survive a surprise Ice Shard from Weavile and Mamoswine, and deal damage back with a powerful Earthquake. The EVs and nature maximize Speed and increase Attack to make Garchomp as fast as possible and give his moves more power.

Garchomp is used as an offensive backup Pokémon, either to Mega Metagross or to Thundurus. He is incredibly versatile, reliable, and he can put a nice dent in the opponent. I tend not to run both Scrafty and Sableye on the same team as Garchomp, since then I'll have a triple weakness to the Fairy type, and Dazzling Gleam in particular, which is surprisingly far more common than I originally thought. Garchomp has some decent bulk when not boosted, meaning it can be switched in to take a physical move and deal Rough Skin damage. Besides that, however, Garchomp is a fairly self-explanatory Pokémon.

Team checks & counters:

• Fairy-types: Half my team is weak to fairy, meaning I need to either switch out a few Pokémon for others better able to handle the type, or otherwise I should just play more cautiously and have a way to deal with them before the battle.
  • More to come as I discover them
Concluding Statement
So, this is a basic outline of my team. I have had a lot of experience with VGC in the Black 2/White 2 era, yet I'm still relatively new to the metagame, if you can understand what I mean through this paradox. As such, this team is not perfect by any means, but I think it's a good start. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you have for me, positive or negative, and I will act on any changes you guys might have for me, from anything as small as moving 4 EVs to another stat to something as big as changing half of my Pokémon. Please, feel free to comment, speculate, criticize, praise, etc., and thank you for taking the time to read this. Let's make this team as great as it can possibly be!

– Cobalt314

Changelog:

• Sableye —> Aegislash
  • Scrafty's set is updated
  • Rocky Helmet —> Yache Berry on Garchomp
  • Light Screen —> Protect on Rotom-Wash

Last edited:
Bumping this thread. I worked hard on this, and I would really appreciate any feedback you guys have, however small it may be.

Hmm, your team looks quite intimidating on paper as it is. It packs a lot of threats and it looks as if it is able to outdamage/outpressure the opponent to overwhelm them with damage, status or momentum. I actually respect the team choices.

However, there are some minor changes that I think would benefit most. The first example is, i think, that Sableye isn't fitting quite well on your team. It does virtually the same role as Thundurus as a troll pokemon, so it's best to replace it with something that doesn't provide you with another Fairy weakness. This is why I'm going to sugges that you change Sableye > Aegislash. Aegislash is an extremely good pokemon in VGC, providing you with a Fairy resistance as well as other resistances that benefit any team, really. It's also able to check Trick Room, which is a noticeable feat that can save you in some situations.

Now, I have a few minor changes that I SUGGEST may help your team out.
1. Scrafty's set is quite... weird. I know that it's used to attack, but Scrafty generally benefits from the added bulk. Therefore, I suggest running 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def and an Impish Nature holding an Assault Vest, with you replacing Protect > Ice Punch so you only have attack moves. This set has much more utility than your scrafty and has the bulk to take more moves.
2. I suggest giving Ice Punch > Zen Headbutt on Metagross. With the abundance of Fighting-Types in VGC, it's really good to have a STAB that can hit them super-effectively, as well as being able to outspeed the top Fighting Types such as Terrakion or Virizion because of the increased base speed that the Mega Evolution brings.
3. Consider running Light Screen > Protect on Rotom, as it's a staple move in doubles and helps to stall out opponents as well as force burn damage. I see that Light Screen helps out your team, but Double Targeting can get the best of it and Guts users such as Conkeldurr (especially Assault Vest variants) are able to plow through Rotom's defenses.
4. THIS IS MORE OF A SUGGESTION THAN RECOMMENDATION, but replace Rocky Helmet > Yache Berry on Garchomp. This allows for a surprise factor if you are Ice Sharded by Mamoswine or Weavile, and then you can proceed to out-damage it.

Other than those rather insignificant things, you'll be able to provide more pressure as well have a more threatening presence in each of your pokemon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Hmm, your team looks quite intimidating on paper as it is. It packs a lot of threats and it looks as if it is able to outdamage/outpressure the opponent to overwhelm them with damage, status or momentum. I actually respect the team choices.

However, there are some minor changes that I think would benefit most. The first example is, i think, that Sableye isn't fitting quite well on your team. It does virtually the same role as Thundurus as a troll pokemon, so it's best to replace it with something that doesn't provide you with another Fairy weakness. This is why I'm going to sugges that you change Sableye > Aegislash. Aegislash is an extremely good pokemon in VGC, providing you with a Fairy resistance as well as other resistances that benefit any team, really. It's also able to check Trick Room, which is a noticeable feat that can save you in some situations.

Now, I have a few minor changes that I SUGGEST may help your team out.
1. Scrafty's set is quite... weird. I know that it's used to attack, but Scrafty generally benefits from the added bulk. Therefore, I suggest running 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def and an Impish Nature holding an Assault Vest, with you replacing Protect > Ice Punch so you only have attack moves. This set has much more utility than your scrafty and has the bulk to take more moves.
2. I suggest giving Ice Punch > Zen Headbutt on Metagross. With the abundance of Fighting-Types in VGC, it's really good to have a STAB that can hit them super-effectively, as well as being able to outspeed the top Fighting Types such as Terrakion or Virizion because of the increased base speed that the Mega Evolution brings.
3. Consider running Light Screen > Protect on Rotom, as it's a staple move in doubles and helps to stall out opponents as well as force burn damage. I see that Light Screen helps out your team, but Double Targeting can get the best of it and Guts users such as Conkeldurr (especially Assault Vest variants) are able to plow through Rotom's defenses.
4. THIS IS MORE OF A SUGGESTION THAN RECOMMENDATION, but replace Rocky Helmet > Yache Berry on Garchomp. This allows for a surprise factor if you are Ice Sharded by Mamoswine or Weavile, and then you can proceed to out-damage it.

Other than those rather insignificant things, you'll be able to provide more pressure as well have a more threatening presence in each of your pokemon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
A big thank you for being the first person to provide feedback for my team! I see the logic behind your suggestions, and I shall proceed to implement them. Concerning the substitution of Zen Headbutt for Ice Punch, I think that Ice Punch would have more utility over Zen Headbutt, since it hits Mega Salamence for a lot of damage, and Mega Salamence is going to be one of the major threats in this metagame. Also, the two Swords of Justice you mentioned are already handled by Meteor Mash and Ice Punch, respectively, so I am bit hesitant in making the switch. But other than that, your suggestions are duly noted, and I shall change the OP as necessary. Again, a huge thank you!

A big thank you for being the first person to provide feedback for my team! I see the logic behind your suggestions, and I shall proceed to implement them. Concerning the substitution of Zen Headbutt for Ice Punch, I think that Ice Punch would have more utility over Zen Headbutt, since it hits Mega Salamence for a lot of damage, and Mega Salamence is going to be one of the major threats in this metagame. Also, the two Swords of Justice you mentioned are already handled by Meteor Mash and Ice Punch, respectively, so I am bit hesitant in making the switch. But other than that, your suggestions are duly noted, and I shall change the OP as necessary. Again, a huge thank you!
No problem! It was only a suggestion, but Ice Punch does have more coverage. That's entirely up to you, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)