Soft Resetting Guide Pokémon XY and ORAS!

Tatertot

always the poet, never the poem
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
During the Delta Episode, Rayquaza will be automatically defaulted to your first Pokemon, so if you wish to capture Deoxys in space Rayquaza will be required. Not that it makes a difference though because the game sees it as being captured in Sky Pillar.

However, if you KO Deoxys during Delta Episode, it will respawn on top of the Sky Pillar after you beat the E4, and Rayquaza will not be required. Idk what happens if you run away from Deoxys in space though (someone test this for me pls ^__^)
Oh duh, I forgot hearing that it respawns at Sky Pillar. Thanks! :)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Although Lv96 Natu is a beast for SRing Lati@s, I just wanted to point out that you can get Final Gambit on Starly as an egg move if you breed a male and female [Starly line] who both know Final Gambit together. Even though people should just ask you for a Natu clone because it's the best option, IF for some reason they wanted to do it themselves, AND they couldn't be bothered training a Natu to level 96 then I'm just letting them know there are options available...

Also, I was just wondering why you need to use Tailwind to test Lati@s' speed after using Night Shade, why not just go straight for the Thunder Wave?

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
Although Lv96 Natu is a beast for SRing Lati@s, I just wanted to point out that you can get Final Gambit on Starly as an egg move if you breed a male and female [Starly line] who both know Final Gambit together. Even though people should just ask you for a Natu clone because it's the best option, IF for some reason they wanted to do it themselves, AND they couldn't be bothered training a Natu to level 96 then I'm just letting them know there are options available...

Also, I was just wondering why you need to use Tailwind to test Lati@s' speed after using Night Shade, why not just go straight for the Thunder Wave?
Derp, small error there. Natu doesn't need anything else than Night Shade, since you using Night Shade can check both HP and Spe at the same time. If Lati@s moves first, Spe confirmed, if Lati@s also survives, HP confirmed as well.

Edit: Would also be best if you switched to a Smeargle after you checked everything to Spore it.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok so I've been thinking of ways to check Deoxys and have decided that the best way is with the Natu method again (except with Xatu)

Xatu (Lv.97)
Ability: Synchronize
[Nature you want Deoxys to be]

EVs: (all speed calcs done with 31iv, including -speed)
For +speed: 252 HP / 54 SpD / 204 Spd (giving 294 speed)
For neutral: same (giving 268 speed)
For -speed: (assuming you want 0 speed IV on Deoxys) 252 HP / 146 SpD / 112 Spd (giving 219 speed)

- Night Shade
- Thunder Wave
-
-

Use Night Shade, if you go first reset*, if Deoxys goes first then watch the HP, if it goes yellow reset, if it stays green then you've just confirmed 31 speed and HP in one turn. Then you can T-wave on the next turn to cripple it.

*opposite for -speed nature

This is where I got stuck because Deoxys can just Recover off False Swipe damage and boost its defenses which means you also need to boost to be able to out-damage its recovery, which wastes valuable turns as Deoxys has (somewhat) limited PP... Heal Block Shedinja is probably the best as (after Paralysis) it can outspeed and keep using Heal Block to stop Recover from working (but, afaik, still lets it be used so you aren't cutting Deoxys PP down like Recover+Imprison would), and False Swipe him down to 1HP. The only thing is that Shedinja has to be level 100, adamant, max attack and hold a Silk Scarf to do lots of damage to Deoxys...

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Shedinja (level 100) False Swipe vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys (level 80): 65-77 (33.5 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Shedinja (level 100) False Swipe vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys (level 80): 97-115 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Shedinja (level 100) False Swipe vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys (level 80): 145-171 (74.7 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So yeah, you can roll with:

Shedinja (Lv.100) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Wonder Guard
Adamant Nature
252 Atk
- Heal Block
- False Swipe
- Hone Claws
-

So after you've T-waved Deoxys you can just switch to Shedinja and Heal Block. If Deoxys is at +1 then you can still get it to 1HP in 3 hits, if it's more then you can boost to keep up. Whenever Heal Block runs out just use it again, throw Pokeballs in the meantime...

Only thing I don't like is having to train a Shedinja to level 100 haha. In that case I thought that you could have a Lv.1 Clefairy with Healing Wish as switch fodder after Xatu, then when Clefairy dies send in a Lv.1 Sturdy + Endeavor + Shell Bell Aron to constantly take Deoxys down to 1 / 12 HP when it recovers (you'll need to heal Aron if Deoxys hits it with an attack and it's on 1HP itself because Shell Bell won't save you then). You could maybe throw in 2/3 of the same Aron to save yourself healing it which would make your team Xatu / Clefairy / Aron / Aron / Aron / [empty slot] (for Deoxys). You don't need a Flyer because of the Eon Flute. EDIT: Xatu can fly hehe

You can still go with the [Fainted Sync] / Staraptor / Smeargle team though. That would look like:

Staraptor (Lv.61) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: blank
Jolly Nature
IVs: 31/x/x/x/x/31
EVs: 0/0/0/0/0/252
- Final Gambit
-
-
-

Obvious HP checker

Smeargle (Lv.96)
Ability: Technician
Sassy Nature
IVs: 31/x/31/x/31/0
EVs: 202 HP / 252 SpD / 56 Speed
- Rock Polish
- Night Shade / Seismic Toss
- Spore
- Recover

Now you need to do the speed test, after a Rock Polish, Smeargle will still be outsped by 1 point, if you outspeed after just one Rock Polish then reset. Rock Polish again to allow yourself to outspeed and Spore it. In the time you spent Polishing your Rocks Deoxys has probably Recovered so you need to take it back down to low health. False Swipe does like 1% so Night Shade / Seismic Toss is the superior option. Deoxys has 194 HP, half of that is 97, if he has used Recover once after Final Gambit then he will be on 98 which would mean you'd want a Lv.97 Smeargle, except if it has Recovered back to max, you can't use NS/ST twice without killing it, so I dropped it to Lv.96 so you can get it to 2HP in that scenario. If he Recovers on the turn he wakes up then Spore + Night Shade which will bring him to 3HP. He only has 10 Recover PP so if he uses it every turn he wakes up then he will be on I think 8HP when he runs out of PP (because you do 1HP less than he Recovers)

Hope this helped!

Last edited:

Buckert

Ok so I've been thinking of ways to check Deoxys and have decided that the best way is with the Natu method again (except with Xatu)

Xatu (Lv.97)
Ability: Synchronize
[Nature you want Deoxys to be]

EVs: (all speed calcs done with 31iv, including -speed)
For +speed: 252 HP / 54 SpD / 204 Spd (giving 294 speed)
For neutral: same (giving 268 speed)
For -speed: (assuming you want 0 speed IV on Deoxys) 252 HP / 146 SpD / 112 Spd (giving 219 speed)

- Night Shade
- Thunder Wave
-
-

Use Night Shade, if you go first reset*, if Deoxys goes first then watch the HP, if it goes yellow reset, if it stays green then you've just confirmed 31 speed and HP in one turn. Then you can T-wave on the next turn to cripple it.

*opposite for -speed nature

This is where I got stuck because Deoxys can just Recover off False Swipe damage and boost its defenses which means you also need to boost to be able to out-damage its recovery, which wastes valuable turns as Deoxys has (somewhat) limited PP... Heal Block Shedinja is probably the best as (after Paralysis) it can outspeed and keep using Heal Block to stop Recover from working (but, afaik, still lets it be used so you aren't cutting Deoxys PP down like Recover+Imprison would), and False Swipe him down to 1HP. The only thing is that Shedinja has to be level 100, adamant, max attack and hold a Silk Scarf to do lots of damage to Deoxys...

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Shedinja (level 100) False Swipe vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys (level 80): 65-77 (33.5 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Shedinja (level 100) False Swipe vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys (level 80): 97-115 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Shedinja (level 100) False Swipe vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys (level 80): 145-171 (74.7 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So yeah, you can roll with:

Shedinja (Lv.100) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Wonder Guard
Adamant Nature
252 Atk
- Heal Block
- False Swipe
- Hone Claws
-

So after you've T-waved Deoxys you can just switch to Shedinja and Heal Block. If Deoxys is at +1 then you can still get it to 1HP in 3 hits, if it's more then you can boost to keep up. Whenever Heal Block runs out just use it again, throw Pokeballs in the meantime...

Only thing I don't like is having to train a Shedinja to level 100 haha. In that case I thought that you could have a Lv.1 Clefairy with Healing Wish as switch fodder after Xatu, then when Clefairy dies send in a Lv.1 Sturdy + Endeavor + Shell Bell Aron to constantly take Deoxys down to 1 / 12 HP when it recovers (you'll need to heal Aron if Deoxys hits it with an attack and it's on 1HP itself because Shell Bell won't save you then). You could maybe throw in 2/3 of the same Aron to save yourself healing it which would make your team Xatu / Clefairy / Aron / Aron / Aron / [empty slot] (for Deoxys). You don't need a Flyer because of the Eon Flute. EDIT: Xatu can fly hehe

You can still go with the [Fainted Sync] / Staraptor / Smeargle team though. That would look like:

Staraptor (Lv.61) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: blank
Jolly Nature
EVs: 0/0/0/0/0/252
- Final Gambit
-
-
-

Obvious HP checker

Smeargle (Lv.96)
Sassy Nature
- Rock Polish
- Spore
- Recover

Now you need to do the speed test, after a Rock Polish, Smeargle will still be outsped by 1 point, if you outspeed after just one Rock Polish then reset. Rock Polish again to allow yourself to outspeed and Spore it. In the time you spent Polishing your Rocks Deoxys has probably Recovered so you need to take it back down to low health. False Swipe does like 1% so Night Shade / Seismic Toss is the superior option. Deoxys has 194 HP, half of that is 97, if he has used Recover once after Final Gambit then he will be on 98 which would mean you'd want a Lv.97 Smeargle, except if it has Recovered back to max, you can't use NS/ST twice without killing it, so I dropped it to Lv.96 so you can get it to 2HP in that scenario. If he Recovers on the turn he wakes up then Spore + Night Shade which will bring him to 3HP. He only has 10 Recover PP so if he uses it every turn he wakes up then he will be on I think 8HP when he runs out of PP (because you do 1HP less than he Recovers)

Hope this helped!
I think I like the Smeargle version a bit better so I can keep the amount of Pokémon used for this as low as possible. I do like you mentioning Heal Block, which I haven't thought of yet. How about this?

Smeargle (Lv.96)
Sassy Nature
- Heal Block
- Spore
- Recover

First you use Staraptor to check the HP. After that you switch to Smeargle to check Speed. The first move you want to use is Spore, so it sleeps. After that you use an X Speed and then Heal Block. Now it prevents Deoxys from healing, so you have more time to Spore it and throw nice balls at it. I'm keeping it level 96 just like you said, since (if it's really retarded) can Recover at first and second turn.

Going to finish this thread today! Just added shiny sprites too for the Pokémon that don't have a shiny lock.

Edit: Might need to run some calcs for this post.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
If you're going to use X speeds to test speed then you will have to change the EV spread to reach the right speed tiers. Looking back, I have no idea where I pulled 56 speed EVs (I was pretty tired when writing lol). Here's the revised Smeargle EVs:

+speed Deoxys: 295

Smeargle (Lv.96)
Sassy Nature
EVs: 194 HP / 252 SpD / 64 Speed
stats: 287 / x / 101 / x / 199 / 147
- Heal Block
- Spore
- Rock Polish

Speed after 1 Rock Polish / 2 X Speeds = 294

neutral Deoxys: 269

Smeargle (Lv.96)
Sassy Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 0 Speed
stats: 301 / x / 101 / x / 199 / 134
- Heal Block
- Spore
- Rock Polish

Speed after 1 Rock Polish / 2 X Speeds = 268

-speed Deoxys: (0iv) 220

Smeargle (Lv.96)
Sassy Nature
EVs: 190 HP / 252 SpD / 68 Speed
stats: 286 / x / 101 / x / 199 / 148
- Heal Block
- Spore
- Recover

Speed after 1 X Speed (can't do Rock Polish) = 222

I think you could drop Recover for Rock Polish as that does the speed check with one less turn and you can just use healing items instead of Recover for health... So yeah, send Smeargle in > Spore > Rock Polish (if you outspeed then reset) > Rock Polish (to outspeed) > Heal Block > Spore (if needed) > Night Shade > Night Shade > throw balls (Spore / Heal Block when needed) > win

I don't mean to be the jerk here, but doing what is required to get Rayquaza with the 31 IVs in HP and Speed is impossible. Unless someone here is willing to lend me an Air Balloon and a Jolly-natured Sableye with 31 IVs in HP and Speed, has the Prankster Ability, and most importantly of all: has Pain Split, it is impossible to meet the requirements to do so, seeing as how those are otherwise unobtainable until AFTER the Delta Episode.

This really sucks for me, after spending the day breeding Smeargles, and I've ended up with a Sassy Smeargle with 31 IVs in Defense and Special Defense, and 0 IVs in Speed, only to realize that breeding a Sableye won't make a difference. Needless to say, I'm not exactly in a good mood, having spent a whole day breeding, only to realize that I have no way of determining Rayquaza's IVs, and could've just caught him today, rather than breeding.

It's not that I completely blame you Buckert. Indeed, I applaud you for taking the time to set up this guide. But unfortunately, I think that besides outside help, it is pretty safe to say that it is impossible to meet the requirements needed for Kyogre, Groudon, or Rayquaza, since the Battle Resort, tutor moves, and IV Judge aren't accessible until after Delta Episode, and well, it is best to warn anyone who might try taking the time to pull this off, only to be disappointed at it's impossibility. Honestly, I think that Game Freak can also take part of the blame for only making the Battle Resort accessible AFTER you MUST catch Rayquaza!

And the worst part is that I hate having to make this my first post in this forum, and appearing like a jerk, because that is not who I am!

I guess I'll just have to accept that there isn't much I can do. I minus well level up that Smeargle I have though, and practice getting moves Sketched.

Rayquaza (and the story Lati@s) are the only mons that you must get before finishing the Delta Episode. SRing the story Lati@s isn't really worth it anyways (hey at least synch is 100% on that) and Rayquaza now has a catch rate of 45, meaning you can Quick Ball it and catch it 23.5% of the time Turn 1 (and if it's night you have the same percentage with Dusk Balls at full HP!). Kyogre and Groudon you'd want to SR post-DE anyways since there's the whole cutscene the first time.

Buckert

I don't mean to be the jerk here, but doing what is required to get Rayquaza with the 31 IVs in HP and Speed is impossible. Unless someone here is willing to lend me an Air Balloon and a Jolly-natured Sableye with 31 IVs in HP and Speed, has the Prankster Ability, and most importantly of all: has Pain Split, it is impossible to meet the requirements to do so, seeing as how those are otherwise unobtainable until AFTER the Delta Episode.

This really sucks for me, after spending the day breeding Smeargles, and I've ended up with a Sassy Smeargle with 31 IVs in Defense and Special Defense, and 0 IVs in Speed, only to realize that breeding a Sableye won't make a difference. Needless to say, I'm not exactly in a good mood, having spent a whole day breeding, only to realize that I have no way of determining Rayquaza's IVs, and could've just caught him today, rather than breeding.

It's not that I completely blame you Buckert. Indeed, I applaud you for taking the time to set up this guide. But unfortunately, I think that besides outside help, it is pretty safe to say that it is impossible to meet the requirements needed for Kyogre, Groudon, or Rayquaza, since the Battle Resort, tutor moves, and IV Judge aren't accessible until after Delta Episode, and well, it is best to warn anyone who might try taking the time to pull this off, only to be disappointed at it's impossibility. Honestly, I think that Game Freak can also take part of the blame for only making the Battle Resort accessible AFTER you MUST catch Rayquaza!

And the worst part is that I hate having to make this my first post in this forum, and appearing like a jerk, because that is not who I am!

I guess I'll just have to accept that there isn't much I can do. I minus well level up that Smeargle I have though, and practice getting moves Sketched.
Well, in the FAQ is a link to my trade thread, where I trade the Pokémon you need for this to work. I made the guide so people could use a smal amount of Pokémon to get almost every legendary Pokémon in XY and ORAS. Yes, a 31/31/31/xx/31/00 Sassy Smeargle might look retarded, but it's purpose is only to help people determining Speed IV's, and it's pretty darn good at it.

Currently working on the Pain Split Prankster Sableye which will be fully redistributable in my trade thread as well.

Edit: Of course, there are a lot of different ways to check HP and Speed, but in my opinion this is the easiest option for the biggest part of the available legendary Pokémon. :) I also listed in my first post that Kyogre and Groudon should be KO'd, just like Deoxys, which you have to encounter after Rayquaza. And to make everyone's live a bit easier, I decided to trade away the Pokémon you all need for this to work.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I just need to pre-face this by saying I'm not trying to sound rude, I'm just saying stuff...

JES, if you're half serious about SRing legendary Pokemon, one would assume you have a basic understanding of Pokemon and the availability of certain moves / items, and if you didn't then you would at least do some research first, such as 'where can I get an Air Balloon?' and 'how does Sableye learn Pain Split?' before starting to breed. It is certainly not Buckerts fault that you failed to do so. You also should have also noticed in the OP that Buckert is (very generously) giving away free clones of the Pokemon that you need which would have saved you the trouble of breeding for that Smeargle (which still isn't a waste because you'll get that much mileage out if it that it's worth it). Unfortunately, the Sableye that you need isn't yet available in Buckerts giveaway but that is understandable due to the sheer amount of work that he is already putting into the guide / the other Pokemon needed. If you need it so desperately you can still breed / train your own Sableye and ask in the Wi-Fi forums Simple Request thread to have it tutored Pain Split and have an Air Balloon attached. There are many users who will probably help you out for free, or you may be asked to trade them something nice for their troubles like a good breeding spitback or something... OR you can just forgo the HP check and just do a speed check with a Staraptor with Intimidate (like I did). If you want to do a HP check and are restricted to stuff in ORAS (which I know you're not because you're breeding a Smeargle which isn't obtainable in that game but whatever) then I would recommend this:

Dusclops (Lv.62) @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk (Pressure will cut Rayquazas PP down)
[any +SpDef nature]
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpDef
- Night Shade
- Memento
-
-

Two uses of Night Shade will be 124 damage, which is exactly 50% of Rayquazas HP if it has a 30-31 IV, if after two Night Shades his health is yellow reset, if it's green then you've confirmed the IV is 30-31. With max Def+SpD, Dusclops can survive a +1 critical hit Fly as well as back-to-back crit Dragon Pulses, allowing you to get the two Night Shades in. Then you can Memento out to give Smeargle a safe switch in. This means your team would be: [fainted sync] / [speed checker] / Dusclops / Smeargle / [empty] / [Rayquazas spot]

That should help you out. Next time, do some research yourself instead of coming here to complain that the guide has mislead you... Buckert shouldn't have to put a disclaimer in every entry saying how to get stuff, some common sense is needed

Also Buckert, can I suggest changing Swords Dance on the Rayquaza Smeargle to Night Shade / Seismic Toss? Swords Dance + False Swipe is a 6-7 turn set up whereas two uses of NS/ST will do 200 damage, which leaves 48 HP, +0 Silk Scarf False Swipe does at least 27HP damage so two of those will bring it to 1HP, which is a 4 turn set up (that was with a 31 attack IV, if Smeargles attack is that low then maybe you could swap Recover for Dragon Rage to do the set 40HP, then False Swipe it to 1...)

edit: Sturdy Endeavor Aron also works to bring him down to low health quickly

edit 2: if you're not using Smeargle to check stats then Spore + False Swipe Breloom hits Ray much harder

Last edited:
I just need to pre-face this by saying I'm not trying to sound rude, I'm just saying stuff...

JES, if you're half serious about SRing legendary Pokemon, one would assume you have a basic understanding of Pokemon and the availability of certain moves / items, and if you didn't then you would at least do some research first, such as 'where can I get an Air Balloon?' and 'how does Sableye learn Pain Split?' before starting to breed. It is certainly not Buckerts fault that you failed to do so. You also should have also noticed in the OP that Buckert is (very generously) giving away free clones of the Pokemon that you need which would have saved you the trouble of breeding for that Smeargle (which still isn't a waste because you'll get that much mileage out if it that it's worth it). Unfortunately, the Sableye that you need isn't yet available in Buckerts giveaway but that is understandable due to the sheer amount of work that he is already putting into the guide / the other Pokemon needed. If you need it so desperately you can still breed / train your own Sableye and ask in the Wi-Fi forums Simple Request thread to have it tutored Pain Split and have an Air Balloon attached. There are many users who will probably help you out for free, or you may be asked to trade them something nice for their troubles like a good breeding spitback or something... OR you can just forgo the HP check and just do a speed check with a Staraptor with Intimidate (like I did). If you want to do a HP check and are restricted to stuff in ORAS (which I know you're not because you're breeding a Smeargle which isn't obtainable in that game but whatever) then I would recommend this:

Dusclops (Lv.62) @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk (Pressure will cut Rayquazas PP down)
[any +SpDef nature]
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpDef
- Night Shade
- Memento
-
-

Two uses of Night Shade will be 124 damage, which is exactly 50% of Rayquazas HP if it has a 30-31 IV, if after two Night Shades his health is yellow reset, if it's green then you've confirmed the IV is 30-31. With max Def+SpD, Dusclops can survive a +1 critical hit Fly as well as back-to-back crit Dragon Pulses, allowing you to get the two Night Shades in. Then you can Memento out to give Smeargle a safe switch in. This means your team would be: [fainted sync] / [speed checker] / Dusclops / Smeargle / [empty] / [Rayquazas spot]

That should help you out. Next time, do some research yourself instead of coming here to complain that the guide has mislead you... Buckert shouldn't have to put a disclaimer in every entry saying how to get stuff, some common sense is needed

Also Buckert, can I suggest changing Swords Dance on the Rayquaza Smeargle to Night Shade / Seismic Toss? Swords Dance + False Swipe is a 6-7 turn set up whereas two uses of NS/ST will do 200 damage, which leaves 48 HP, +0 Silk Scarf False Swipe does at least 27HP damage so two of those will bring it to 1HP, which is a 4 turn set up (that was with a 31 attack IV, if Smeargles attack is that low then maybe you could swap Recover for Dragon Rage to do the set 40HP, then False Swipe it to 1...)

edit: Sturdy Endeavor Aron also works to bring him down to low health quickly

edit 2: if you're not using Smeargle to check stats then Spore + False Swipe Breloom hits Ray much harder
Well, I'm rather new to soft-resetting, and have only recently found out about using certain Pokemon to check IVs. Indeed, I've never actually done this in practice before. It is all hypothetical for me at the moment.
And I have Smeargle available due to being able to use Poke Bank to transfer between my Y Version and Alpha Sapphire Version. Very useful for also helping to fill up the 'Dex.

Unfortunately, that does have it's limitations, such as being able to transfer items (or lack there-of), not to mention Tutor Moves, at least for the time being, until Delta Episode has ended. I can earn an Air Balloon at the Battle Maison, but unfortunately have no way to get it to Alpha Sapphire (unless I traded that to someone else, and then someone traded that to my Alpha Sapphire version).

Yeah, I do have myself to blame, for assuming that Pain Split was a breeding move for Sableye, and well, the Air Balloon was a complete snafu on my part.

And I agree that it is understandable that Buckert can't give away the necessary Sableye, nor would I have expected it. I'm used to doing things on my own. That is probably why I'm going to breed and raise my own Staraptor and Dusclops, and transfer them via Poke Bank.

Speaking of Staraptor, would I need anything else specific, like a specific level or certain IVs to confirm that Rayquaza has 31 IV in Speed, or do I just need to make sure that it has Intimidate?

And I'll probably use Smeargle. Why not? It'd be a waste if I went through all of that trouble, only to not use him, and I can still breed him for when I need a lower level Smeargle for the other Legends, as well as to hopefully get one with an additional 31 IVs in HP and Attack.

I know that you're not trying to sound any more rude then I was, and I don't blame you. Still, if it is any consolation, maybe no one else will make the same mistake that I made.

And thank you very much for the useful advice.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Protip: you can use the GTS to trade with yourself. The trick is to go on the game you want the Pokemon / item on and offer something rubbish and ask for the Pokemon you want, then jump over to your other game, get on the GTS and look for the Pokemon you just uploaded, trade yourself the Pokemon / item to yourself, go back to your other game BAM! You have what you wanted on your other game. I've done this lots of times to move items across games. It is a bit tedious so I wouldn't recommend doing it for a lot of items at once but it will definitely help you get an Air Balloon across from XY to ORAS. As for Pain Split, you're right that you have to get someone to help you out there. Like I said in my previous post, I would highly recommend asking in the Wi-Fi forum to see if someone can do it for you, if you mention it's for a Sableye to help determine Rayquazas HP then I'm sure someone would be willing to help!

For the Staraptor, if you're aiming for a +speed Rayquaza (jolly/naive/hasty/timid) it will have 174 speed with a 31iv. Jolly Staraptor gets 173 at level 66 with 4 speed EVs, Adamant Staraptor gets the same speed with 100 speed EVs. Both variations need 236 HP EVs to reach 247 HP, which will leave Rayquaza with 1HP if it decides to use Dragon Dance turn 1. All calcs were determined with perfect IVs in the relevant stats

As for Dusclops (and all HP checkers that use Night Shade / Seismic Toss), I've just realised that getting the target to exactly 50% HP doesn't work if their total HP is an even number because the health bar goes yellow at exactly 50% (I'm testing this with Deoxys now which has always had a yellow health bar when I test despite having 31 HP several times. You need to aim for 1 point less then 50 percent which means dropping the level of the Night Shade / Seismic Toss user. The lowest even number that leaves 51% health on Rayquaza is 128 HP, which means you want to do 120 damage to Ray, which means you want a level 60 HP checker. If his health goes yellow it means his HP IV is 28 or lower. If it's green then his HP IV is 29+

I'm kinda bummed I'm stuck with a level 97 Xatu now, maybe i need that Staraptor + Smeargle after all, Buckert :p

Okay, saw your alert, and thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm aiming for a Jolly nature, so I'm going with a Jolly Staraptor at Level 66, and putting in 4 EVs into Speed.

And good thing you realized that the level you had Dusclops at was too high, before I even got to training it. In fact, I'm breeding right now. So a level 60 should do the trick, if I read you correctly? And as for Smeargle: she is at level 57, and just needs to learn Night Shade, and get some more L&C. It is my hope that by Friday, I'll be ready to catch Rayquaza.

And using the GTS is a method I never thought of. No use using that for an Air Balloon ATM, but I now at least have an easy way to transfer Liechi Berries and the like. I could also transfer Mega Stones in this case, but I'm not going to take the chance that someone will pick it off of the net before me.

Thank you. Your advice has, once again, been quite invaluable. It looks like I owe you one! ;)

Edit: I did it again!! I didn't realize that Frisk was a hidden ability! Fortunately, I have a female Dusclops with Frisk!

Um, I don't suppose that there is anyone who wants a Sassy Duskull with Pain Split, because I now have 5 to spare! :)

Last edited:
Okay, saw your alert, and thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm aiming for a Jolly nature, so I'm going with a Jolly Staraptor at Level 66, and putting in 4 EVs into Speed.

And good thing you realized that the level you had Dusclops at was too high, before I even got to training it. In fact, I'm breeding right now. So a level 60 should do the trick, if I read you correctly? And as for Smeargle: she is at level 57, and just needs to learn Night Shade, and get some more L&C. It is my hope that by Friday, I'll be ready to catch Rayquaza.

And using the GTS is a method I never thought of. No use using that for an Air Balloon ATM, but I now at least have an easy way to transfer Liechi Berries and the like. I could also transfer Mega Stones in this case, but I'm not going to take the chance that someone will pick it off of the net before me.

Thank you. Your advice has, once again, been quite invaluable. It looks like I owe you one! ;)
You're not going to need to transfer Mega Stones, as they're all available in OR/AS including all the older ones. (though Garchompite and Lucarionite are a pain) Don't forget your Jolly Synchronizer - DexNav'ing Ralts can be very lucrative to get all the natures minus the useless neutral ones if you don't already have them.

Yeah, I keep forgetting to transfer my Jolly Synchronizer! Fortunately, I got this Jolly Ralts, which I believe I got in a Wonder Trade. He'll be Banked over when I also transfer over Dusclops, Staraptor, and Smeargle.

Oh, and I get the feeling that getting the Garchompite is going to be easier than getting Lucarionite, since it is only a matter of time until I get 1000 flags (though at the rate that I'm going, it's gonna take a while).

I guess that they really wanted to give us an incentive to do the contests. And I you can't say that Lucarionite isn't one hell of an incentive.

If anyone has that sableye with an air balloon, imposter, 247 hp, and 173 speed let me know as I have school work to do and am tried of having sucky speed on my rayquaza because it spams extreeme speed on my 247 hp sceptilewith endeavor and am really tired of having to catch it just to see the HP!

I'm basically just trying catch a perfect 6iv naive rayquaza in a nest ball to then have it cloned to hell and give it to anyone that asks for it.

For legendaries with abilities like pressure(ex. kyogre), why not just use a staraptor for checking the speed too? With 1 speed less than 31IV speed on staraptor, you will know that the legendary has the correct speed IVs if intimidate goes second.

I have just bred and trained a sableye, with prankster, 247 HP and 173 Speed, pain split and air balloon. I am trying to get a cloner now. When Cloned I can trade a copy to those who need it.
I need one please

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
For legendaries with abilities like pressure(ex. kyogre), why not just use a staraptor for checking the speed too? With 1 speed less than 31IV speed on staraptor, you will know that the legendary has the correct speed IVs if intimidate goes second.
Because if Staraptor goes second it risks taking damage which means that Final Gambit will not do the set amount of damage it has been trained to do. This is why Staraptor is not the optimal Pokemon for that job and therefore not recommended as a speed checker in this guide. I did use one for checking Rayquaza's speed (meaning Final Gambit only worked if it used Dragon Dance, a 25% chance) as I didn't have the resources to get a Sableye, which brings me to my next point...

I have just bred and trained a sableye, with prankster, 247 HP and 173 Speed, pain split and air balloon. I am trying to get a cloner now. When Cloned I can trade a copy to those who need it.
PM Buckert about this. I have no idea how his progress is going on his own Sableye but the sooner he can get them out the better, I know there are many people in need of one.

Buckert

Because if Staraptor goes second it risks taking damage which means that Final Gambit will not do the set amount of damage it has been trained to do. This is why Staraptor is not the optimal Pokemon for that job and therefore not recommended as a speed checker in this guide. I did use one for checking Rayquaza's speed (meaning Final Gambit only worked if it used Dragon Dance, a 25% chance) as I didn't have the resources to get a Sableye, which brings me to my next point...

PM Buckert about this. I have no idea how his progress is going on his own Sableye but the sooner he can get them out the better, I know there are many people in need of one.
Arceus bless you and may you find puppies following you home for the next year!
As soon as I receive that Sableye, I'm going to add it to my trade thread here as well, so I can spread it. And yeah I haven't had time yet to breed one myself, I'll be getting 2 now! Awesome contributors are awesome. richi3f bred one as well, not sure about level and stuff, but as soon as I receive that one too I'll add that to my thread as well. I might do another giveaway to spread all these Pokémon even more. :)

Edit: I am too lazy to edit the Deoxys part.. meh! Will do that next year. :)

Well, I guess that if you don't determine what Pokemon I need to determine the IVs before I capture Deoxys, then I'll just settle with having the right nature.

I'm lucky to have the information I have, and am all the better for it.

Though I plan to go all "primeval" with Rayquaza on Deoxys, seeing as how I'm not going to be able to Synch Deoxys's nature the first time around anyways, so that'll buy me some time to wait.

Tatertot

always the poet, never the poem
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've recently started SRing for a 0 Speed Trick Room Cresselia, and though this might not be a super common thing to SR for, I found a pretty good way to do it using just a Staraptor and a sync:

Staraptor @ Iron Ball
Lv. 51
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Spe

This gives Staraptor 194 HP, one less than a 31 HP Cresselia for Final Gambit checking, and a Base 165 Speed, which when halved with an Iron Ball and rounded down gives 82 Speed. This outspeeds Cresselia with a 0-3 Speed IV and speed ties with a Cresselia with a 4-5 Speed IV. If Staraptor moves first and after Final Gambit leaves Cresselia alive with 1 HP, then you have a guaranteed 31 HP and 0-5 Speed Cresselia. Not perfectly accurate, but better than nothing if you're aiming for a Cresselia with as low a Speed as possible.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Well, I guess that if you don't determine what Pokemon I need to determine the IVs before I capture Deoxys, then I'll just settle with having the right nature.

I'm lucky to have the information I have, and am all the better for it.

Though I plan to go all "primeval" with Rayquaza on Deoxys, seeing as how I'm not going to be able to Synch Deoxys's nature the first time around anyways, so that'll buy me some time to wait.
You do know you can KO Deoxys after capturing Rayquaza and make it respawn later, right? Do not try and SR for it immediately after capturing Rayquaza. This means you can let it wait until Buckert has finalised the information on it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)