2v2 Doubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Articblast and TheImmortal

Banner by MegaTias

Everybody loves 1v1 and everybody love doubles, so why not both? burmymons 2v2 doubles is doubles, but both players only have 2 pokemon. Like in 1v1, there is a team preview, but with 4 pokemon instead of 3

THE RULES

• Standard DOU clauses (link)
    • This means Sleep Clause is OFF
  • The following moves are banned from play
    • Dark Void
    • Perish Song
  • The following Pokemon are banned from play
    • Mewtwo
    • Lugia
    • Ho-oh
    • Kyogre
    • Groudon
    • Rayquaza
    • Dialga
    • Palkia
    • Giratina, Giratina-O
    • Arceus
    • Reshiram
    • Zekrom
    • Kyurem-White
    • Xerneas
    • Yveltal
  • The following items are banned from play
    • Salamencite

Threats

Mega kanga is a top threat of doubles and has been suspected but not banned. It's common set it is fake out/return/sucker punch. Now it doesnt need PuP so drain punch/eq/crunch is prefered in the last spot.

Sun boosted heat waves hurt. It also provides support to chlorophyl users who can then use a fast sleep.

Intimidate is one of the best abilities, pared up with sky high attack, two spread moves (rock slide, earthquake) makes landorus-t a threat

Heat waves hurt from this, paired up with hidden power and earth power makes it a bigger threat. Air balloon may be more common to dodge those eq's, but watch out for fake out.

Hitmontop packs intimidate along with decent defenses and a good attack. It has access to fake out and sucker punch for priority and can have wide or quick guard, unexpected but can be helpful.

Politoed may not be threatening, but paired with strong swift swim sweepers can be threatening

Mawile's huge attack paired with strong coverage can be fatal. It's base form can hold intimidate or even hyper cutter, so watch out for that

One of OU's scariest threats is as threatening as ever. Huge attack, decent speed and the ability to go mixed, yes please.

There are more, such as (mega)tyranitar, (mega) gyarados, breloom (sleep is nice), cresselia, etc

Effective stratagies
Weather
+

Set up the sun with yzard whilst protecting/sleep powdering with venu

+
/

Kingdra is prefered thanks to muddy water but kabutops is also very powerful

Blizspam is viable and scary

Trick Room
/

These are probably the preferred setters, thanks to having an offensive presence

Quiet eruption is very strong coming from this monster

'Fast' blizspam, even better. Likes reuniclus who has magic guard/overcoat

Fake out + Fast sleep
+

Eliminates both opponents from the first turn, and then you can focus hitting one at a time

Useful moves/abilities
Intimidate

Put the opponent at permanent -1. Great vs physical attakers

Protect

Good for scouting and a nice prediction can have your other mon being the only successful attacker

Fake Out

Removes the opponent for one turn, breaks a sash and lets your other mon attack/sleep

is she broken?

If anybody wants a battle play on doubles custom game, if you see me on showdown, drop me a message, i'll try to be in the other meta room

Thanks for reading, hope you luvdisc galbia is bad

Last edited by a moderator:
So if focus sash aint banned and deoxys formes arent banned..
protect sashed Deoxys-A + Whatever for an insane power play here we go.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So if focus sash aint banned and deoxys formes arent banned..
protect sashed Deoxys-A + Whatever for an insane power play here we go.
Yeah, they are not banned in regular doubles. Then again sashes arent hard to break. If the power is too overwhelming, they could get banned
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Deoxys-A: 364-429 (151 - 178%) -- guaranteed OHKO

helping hand+deoxys a/mega khan= gg
They can only attack one opponent, neither have a spread move and deoxys has no bulk. Kang could be broken

EV

Banned deucer.
I'm adding this to the OM index. Are self-KO and Focus Sash banned like in regular 1v1?

Anty

let's drop
Ok, after a lot of testing, Deoxys-a is banned. Its too strong and unless running hail, the sash is too good.

Also after experimenting, trick room seems to obvious and hard to get up, whilst tailwind is a nice boost to mons such as megamawile who has immediate strength + intimidate

Anty

let's drop
Anty Thoughts on adding Team Preview now that 1v1 has it? And, instead of bring three, I say bring four.
This would make a lot more sense, as it can help counter common strats (like fake out + sleep spam). I also agree with the brining 4 part, similarly to the reason 1v1 does it, it creates an much less match-up based tier, and makes it more skill based. (4 also adds to the doubles theme and overall makes much more sense).

I totally agree with this, any thought? If people want to play this i will on PS! in the doubles, just challenge me to a doubles custom game!

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Anty , I'm working on coding this. You mention in the OP that there is no team preview, like in 1v1. Meanwhile, Team Preview has been added in 1v1. Do you want this in this format too.
Sorry for the bump, but a lot of people are interested in this.

Anty

let's drop
Anty , I'm working on coding this. You mention in the OP that there is no team preview, like in 1v1. Meanwhile, Team Preview has been added in 1v1. Do you want this in this format too.
Sorry for the bump, but a lot of people are interested in this.
Yes to team preview, please (4 in it rather than three, as it suits doubles better btw). I havent editted the op since TI posted about it (will update). Thanks for coding it!

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I was trying to code this out and came up with this code: http://pastebin.com/uYMrD18g, but Rumplestiltskin said that it was supposed to be one sash after team preview, not one sash per team. I'm really not sure how to make it do that, so I'm just leaving what I have here in hope of someone better at Javascript helping out. (Hi Pikachuun !)
This version has been added to Aqua! The metagame was off it for a while, since it crashed a while ago. But it's back now.

If anyone wants their metas to be readded. VM me!

let's come up with some strategies to create some hype for OMotM voting.

(I'm assuming species clause will be removed to simulate regular 1v1)
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt

You'll probably be having alot of fun with this until you meet the guy who uses two charizard ys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)