ORAS OU Brutal Gallade (Mega Gallade) first Competitive team.

Thank you for reading, and please post suggestions!
Team building process
I really like mega- gallade, and noticed how strong and fast he gets, so i started with him
Next, I realized that pokemon with dragon dance and other set up moves would easily take gallade out, so I turned to Malamar.
After that, I noticed that I needed a special wall, so I turned to my favorite eeveelution to wall.
Then, I needed some hazard protection, while also getting some extra protection to my team, so that is how I got the idea of my second favorite eeveelution.
Later, I also decided I needed a good physical wall, that could hurt physical attackers, while being able to set up rocks, so ferrothorn was a good idea to me.
Finally, I came to the conclusion that I needed a good special sweeper, so when I noticed my lonely volcarona, (lonely as in left alone, not nature) I realized, and with a little help from friends, that with quiver dance, volcarona could become a huge threat!

Scythe (Gallade) @ Galladite

Adamant 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 SpD

Ability: Steadfast >> Inner Focus

Moves:
Psycho Cut
Leaf Blade
Night Slash
Drain Punch

This set utilizes Mega Gallade's Attack and Speed boost to effectively Demolish the opponent.
Psycho Cut is a powerful STAB attack with a chance to have a critical hit. Both Leaf Blade and Night Slash are powerful moves. They help with coverage, and have a good Crit. chance.
Drain punch is Gallade's other STAB attack, and it helps restore his HP as well as dealing with steel types.

Ma Squid (Malamar) @ Focus sash

Adamant 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 Def

Ability: Contrary

Moves:
Topsy-Turvy
Psycho Cut
Night Slash
Superpower

Using this set, Malamar can switch in on a pokemon who has set up, for example: a Dragonite which has boosted with Dragon Dance. When Malamar's allie has fainted from it, and Then Malamar's Focus Sash Lets it survive so it can use Topsy-Turvy to switch the enemy's stat boosts.
Psycho Cut and Night Slash are its STAB moves, and they have a high critical hit chance. Superpower is the backbone of this set, allowing Malamar to get boosts to its attack and defense, while dealing major damage to the opponent.

Etherion (Umbreon) @ Leftovers

Careful 252 SpD 252 HP 4 Def

Ability: Synchronize

Moves:
Payback
Confuse Ray
Toxic
Curse

This is the special wall of my team. He has a high special defence, which allows him to stay in the battle for a long time. Curse allows him to Raise his attack and defense, while lowering his speed, perfect for getting the attack boost for payback. Confuse Ray allows umbreon to attack the opponent with the payback boost, but also makes so that the opponent could attack itself. Toxic whittles away the opponents health as umbreon continues to attack it with payback.

Mystica (Espeon) @ Light Clay

Timid 252 SpA 252 Spe 4 SpD

Ability: Magic Bounce

Moves:
Light Screen
Calm Mind
Reflect
Psychic

This Espeon allows me to set up Reflect and Light Screen, while being able to switch-in into an opponent who is about to set up an entry hazard, and reflect in back to them instead. Calm Mind allows Espeon to get a boost in Special attack and Special defense, so it can survive a hit and send a strong psychic at the opponent. Psychic is here for STAB and so Espeon isn't completely helpless, While Light Screen and Reflect helps the team take less damage.

Sharp Thorns (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet

Relaxed 252 Def 252 HP 4 Atk

Ability: Iron Barbs

Moves:
Ingrain
Stealth Rocks
Gyro Ball
Curse

Ferrothorn is my physical defensive pokemon. His Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet deal a hefty blow to physical attackers, this allows him to whittle away their health, without even attacking! Ingrain may keep him from switching, but he needs to regenerate health, and it keeps enemies like skarmory from using whirlwind. Stealth Rock is to set up an entry hazard to severely damage the likes of Talonflame. Curse raises his Attack and defense, while lowering his speed, which helps him get slow enough for max Gyro Ball power.

Flare (Volcarona) @ Life Orb

Modest 252 Spa 160 Spe 96 HP

Ability: Flame Body

Moves:
Fiery Dance
Quiver Dance
Giga Drain
Bug Buzz

Volcarona is essentially my special sweeper, setting up with Quiver Dance and dealing strong blows with its attacking moves. I chose Fiery Dance over Fire Blast because, even though It loses power, Fiery Dance has a chance to raise Volcarona's special attack even more. Bug Buzz is a powerful STAB move, and helps deal with the Lati Twins. Giga Drain allows Volcarona to take out Water and Rock types that could take It out, and heal the life orb recoil.

Ideas! replace malamar with choice scarf scizor. replace ferrothorn with rotom-w. replace umbreon with heatran or landorus-T(not really sure on this one)

Again, thank you for reading about my team, and please post your suggestions

Last edited:
Consider this as a bump, but I need some one to help me decide on something:
I'm thinking of switching my Malamar out for a choice band scizor here is the set

Scizor @ choice band

Adamant 248 HP 252 Atk 8 SpD

Ability: Technician

Moves:
Superpower
Knock Off
Bullet Punch
U-turn.

And switching my ferrothorn for a Rotom-W for a volt-turn combo

Here it is

Rotom-W @ leftovers

Bold 248 HP 216 Def 44 Spe

Ability: levitate

Moves
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Pain Split
Will-O-Wisp

BUT I'm worried about losing my stealth rocks!

There are a fair few issues with this team that are blatantly obvious. I'll go in order of the pokemon listed.

1. You should swap up Gallade's moveset from your current one too:

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off

Drain Punch is far too weak for Gallade being only base 75 power, and if you're playing Gallade right and saving him for late game sweeping, he should be at full health or close to it anyways. You might think that Drain Punch allows you to be more reckless as it gives you recovery, but this is in fact the opposite as it's far too weak and hence doesn't recover much. Knock off over Night Slash because it has better utility, it's always nice to knock off your opponents item and when knocking off an item, Knock Off will have higher power than Night Slash will anyways. Zen Headbutt vs Psycho Cut is really preference but Zen Headbutt can be used if you want more power. Swords Dance over Leaf Blade because Leaf Blade literally hits nothing that Zen Headbutt and Knock Off don't already hit. Swords Dance will allow Gallade to rip right through many teams and Gallade generally likes to set up on defensive mons that can't do a lot to it eg; Chansey, Heatran, or offensive mons that it outspeeds eg; Keldeo. Justified also allows it to switch in on Dark Attacks and give it a +1 boost before mega evolving, making it even for threatening.

I would reccomend just flat-out getting rid of Malamar as it's not viable in OU. Instead use:

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Bisharp synergises extremely well with Gallade being able to check the Lati twins and Gengar which otherwise force unfavourable speed ties with Gallade. Pursuit traps the lati twins, Sucker Punch for priority + being able to beat Gengar. Iron Head for secondary STAB and for hitting TTar + fairies. Knock Off is also a good move for Bish as it can knock off an opposing switch in's item off.

The next mon allows to you to beat most physical set up sweepers 1v1, set up SR and Whirlwind out Set up mons.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

Max HP and Max Def allows you tank +1 Dnites and Zard X's Outrage while whirlwinding them out. Hippowdown is a fantastic defensive pokemon as it beats Landorus-T and Excadrill which otherwise give you a problem. Slack Off is Hippowdown's main selling point of Landorus-T and Garchomp as it gives you reliable recovery. Stealth Rock is there because Stealth Rock can help your team nail some nice 2hko's on pokemon that were otherwise out of your reach. I'd reccomend replacing Umbreon with this as Hippowdown is a far better wall and Umbreon is also not very viable in OU.

You'll wanting to be using some form of hazard control if you want to keep on using Volcarona, and to be honest, Magic Bounce is the worst form of hazard control as it relies too heavily on prediction + most (and when I say most, I mean nearly, if not, all) hazard setters can beat Espeon 1v1. The next mon is one that can switch in on Keldeo which gives your team a bit of trouble, and gives you a reliable form of hazard control that will allow Volcarona to come in without taking 50% off its health.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Latias is one of the best Defoggers for offense next to her brother Latios. The spread is so that you're never 2hko'ed by Keldeo's Specs Secret Swords after Stealth Rocks. Defog removes hazards from the field. Healing Wish is to restore a sweepers health once Latias has done her job/gets low on HP by sacrificing herself for the next switch in.
Dual STAB because why not, even though you're walled by Heatran Hippow + M-Gallade can beat it 1v1 anyways so it doesn't matter.

So far we still have a pretty big Ice weakness + a pretty big SD Talonflame weakness so the next pokemon patches this up + form an amazing core with Bisharp + Mega Gallade. This pokemon is also a pretty decent check to Azumarill which gives this team a lot of problems.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-W is a fantastic defensive pivot being able to switch in on common physical attackers like Talonflame, Mamoswine and Azumarrill and put them in an unfavourable position. The moves are pretty straight foward. Will-O-Wisp for spreading burns, Hydro Pump as your main form of attack/ hitting ground pokemon that prevent your Volt Switch, Volt Switch to provide momentum and Pain Split as a form of recovery when Rotom-W gets low on HP. This should go where Ferrothorn goes.

Volcarona is fine and synergises extremely well with the pokemon on this team. The spread and moves are fine, but I'd change the item from Life orb to Leftovers as Volcarona as a set up sweeper enjoys the residual recovery.

Well that's my help, take it or leave it. I welcome you to Smogon and to competitive battling as a whole and hope you have fun. :]

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate your advice! I, truthfully, had no idea about how flawed my team was. This should help my team out a lot! I already have the rotom on my team though, it was on my second post. PS: couldn't I give hippowdon roar instead? I also cannot get a defog latias due to it only being available in P/D/PL have any other good defogger suggestions?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)