Shiny Pokemon Experiences

Ever found a shiny Pokemon

• Total voters
ORAS has been great for this. I havent seen any official confirmation anywhere, but chaining the dexnav has landed me a shiny numel, shroomish and minun after about an hour for each, without the charm.

ORAS has been great for this. I havent seen any official confirmation anywhere, but chaining the dexnav has landed me a shiny numel, shroomish and minun after about an hour for each, without the charm.
Same here, except I was in an Eevee chain without a Shiny Charm and landed a shiny Taillow by accident.

Last edited:
Once in Pearl I was searching for a Gible in the cave under victory road, a just randomly I found I shiny bronzor. I caught it, evolved it, and I currently have it in my Black 2.

Shiny are somewhat more easier found in gen 6 i guess. The Friend Safari in XY has amazing change of getting one. When i add some new friend i always go there to check which their FS is, and you know, i found some amazing pokemon there. A shiny Calm Klefky with 31 on both def (i still use her to battle from time - thank to her i win the super rotation battle statue), a shiny Calm Shadow Tag Gothita with 31 on hp and sp.def . But the most lucky is a shiny Kecleon and Aipom that i found in just 2 battle repeatly. I never hunt shiny in safari yet, only came to check what they have, and still getting these:heart:

I've had a few shiny experiences in 6th gen along with my one other pre-sixth gen experience (Wingull in Sapphire), but I didn't share them...

However, I just now ran into a random shiny Feebas in OR whilst DexNav chaining for a decent female for my story team.

It's male, unfortunately, and it has a terrible nature being Impish (+Def, -Sp.Atk). I wasn't paying much attention to the DexNav since my surfer was my newly-evolved Sharpedo, but I did manage to see that it had an egg move (Mirror Coat) and at least 2 stars. After the capture, I jokingly decided to check its IVs with MetalKid's calculator and...

Feebas Lv. 15
HP: 35
Atk: 10
Def: 15
Sp.Atk: 9
Sp.Def: 26
Spd: 33

Feebas - #349 (Impish)
HP: 31
Att: 4 - 9
Def: 20 - 26
SpA: 14 - 26
SpD: 30 - 31
Speed: 27 - 31

Wow! That's not too bad for four random IVs (minus, of course, the terrible nature). If I were to use this thing, it might be a good support-mon.

I've found 4 shinies in my thousands of hours of Pokemon. My luck is not as good as some others however I don't use methods like chain fishing or masuda method as that takes the fun out IMO. I like finding a shiny Pokemon to be a random but awesome moment.

My first shiny was a Slugma in Emerald. I was playing with my friend and when he saw it he thought it was a glitch. I had heard of shinies before but I thought it was just a myth as this was before I used the internet. It was a great moment. My second shiny was in Pokemon Black where I found a shiny Swadloon. I have found 2 shinies in the Pokemon Safari in Y, a Sandshrew and a Growlithe.
My first shiny was actually my very first pokemon! Treecko, in ruby, i think i was 4. but sceptile has been my favorite pokemon since! Currently my shiny count in Omega Ruby is 588 including my shiny sceptile from ruby!

My first shiny was actually my very first pokemon! Treecko, in ruby, i think i was 4. but sceptile has been my favorite pokemon since! Currently my shiny count in Omega Ruby is 588 including my shiny sceptile from ruby!
Hey, for future reference, I'm not sure you're supposed to bump old threads. I'm not sure this counts since it IS a discussion thread, but still.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Nah, if people have something worthwhile to contribute to it, it's fine. If not, it'll just sink down again. I've seen way more pointless bumps than this.

Well, if that's the case, then I'll contribute something.

In Omega Ruby, I was trying to RNG a competetive Terrakion, and was failing miserably, 100 tries, and no dice on the kind I wanted. Then, on about the 100-110th try, I saw those lovely sparkles. I was VERY tempted to use the master ball that I had kept through my adventure, but resisted. I eventually caught it in a repeat ball (I had transfered an ingame terrakion from Black just so I could use repeat balls.) went to check it and.... it was Jolly with perfect IVs in Speed, Attack, and HP, with decent IVs in every other stat. I swear I cried a little when I saw those stats. I use that Terrakion to this day.
My other best shiny moment is getting a shiny event Arceus from someone in Japan for an event shiny Giratina(Thank You).

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
This may take me awhile... *sighs and gets ready to make my list*

Discounting fixed shiny encounters, my first official encounter was a Dunsparce in Unova Route 12 on the way to Lacunosa Town in White a few days after buying White in 2012. This was before I got a second DS and was in the mood to do a new run, so it wasn't long till I parted ways with the red derpent. Nearly a year later I would buy Platinum on Amazon and encounter a shiny Geodude in Oreburgh's mine, bestowing the Impish thing Gilda and immediately whisked her off to Unova instead of using it (didn't evolve her till ORAS).

Come X and suddenly I was practically a magnet for shinies. I got a shiny Zangoose a week before deciding to get a shiny charm and at. that point they came on a platter. Got my first MM, a Pawniard, 50 eggs in but traded him away because the attack iv sucked. My others were fairly successful: Litwick (27 eggs), Absol (20ish), Mawile (97), etc. Some... not quite (Froakie took 500 and it had Torrent, and one died because I hastily gave False Swipe to a mon with Rough Skin). My AS luck was even better with two shiny Ralts 6 eggs apart in 270 or so eggs and a Buneary project had 2 shinies in 40 eggs (one out of each had flawless ivs). Oh, there was the Gastly prior with 54 eggs (28 spe though). Haven't had an AS mm produce a shiny that required 300+ eggs. HP fire HA Snivy, on the other hand... *cringe*

Yeah... I really lost count at some point. I think I may as well scrap up a whole list. Sdfe to say my shiny charm works.

Let's see... Shiny Comp Zekrom in 12 hours, shiny Helioptile comp in 2 hours, and random shiny Venonat hatched in ORAS, shiny Skarm, Hydreigon, and Aggron each in about 2 days each. Gen 6 is nice with shinies.

I've never caught a shiny... ever. But, I was lucky enough to get a fine shiny Gengar from a giveaway in the Wifi area.
Keep fighting hordes. These seem to be pretty good at finding a shiny to catch. Arceus have mercy if it's a Geodude/Graveler horde... they tend to like using Magnitude (which hurts everyone but the user) or blow themselves up.

I've found 4 shinies in my thousands of hours of Pokemon. My luck is not as good as some others however I don't use methods like chain fishing or masuda method as that takes the fun out IMO. I like finding a shiny Pokemon to be a random but awesome moment.
I used to think the exact same way as you. But when I got into trading, I realized breeding for flawless shinies is super satisfying. And so on I started using DexNav chaining, followed by the Masuda Method, followed by TSV hatching.

But apart from these methods I've encountered six shinies in total. Maybe I also did in R/B/Y, but I might not have noticed. My first one was in Pokemon Gold. I still remember the moment as if it was yesterday. I defeated Blackthorn's Gym Leader and I went downhill back to New Bark. There I encountered my very first shiny: a Gligar.

Second one was also in Gold, when I surfed at north of Goldenrod to get to an Apricorn tree if I remember correctly. There I encountered a shiny Psyduck, which I accidentally ran away from. I realized I screwed up when I pressed run. Was depressed for a week.

Third one was in Emerald, and it was a Zigzagoon, in the very beginning of the game, right after I got my Poke Balls. I was really afraid I weren't going to catch it, but fortunately I did.

Fourth one was in Fire Red or Leaf Green, can't remember anymore. It was on one of the Sevii Islands in an icy cave. There I encountered a shiny Swinub.

(Took a huge break between R/S/E and OR/AS, hence the gap.)

Fifth one was in my quick playthrough of Y. It was at the right of a city or town (can't remember the name as I'm not really into the newer generation stuff) and it was a shiny Tauros, which I captured in a Luxury Ball.

Sixth one was in Omega Ruby. It was right after I got my Latios, in the tall grass in the rain. It was a shiny Linoone.

Nowadays it's so different. Join Wonder Trade Wednesday for ten minutes and you already have a couple of shinies. I would've preferred if it stayed the way it was back in the days, not knowing chaining and TSV hatching would ever be possible. Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
Eight encountered, six caught.

These are all in Emerald:
First one was a shiny Oddish. I caught it, raised it to a Vileplume, and then lost it when my save corrupted.
Second one was a shiny Geodude. It blew up.
Third was a shiny Wingull, which I killed by accident.

In X:
All five were caught while EV training.
Two shiny Vanillite. One had HP and Speed IVs, so I actually used it for a bit.
Two shiny Wingull. Got revenge for the one I accidentally killed.
I forgot exactly what the last one was. I think it was a Mime Jr.

Sadly, I found my first shiny while I was playing Gold on an emulator (hoothoot btw) which I couldn't catch because I ran out o pokéballs. I found a shiny Sneasel in Y almost 3 years later and that was my first legit shiny,
but it had a bad nature so it was instantly Pokémon-Amie foddered. I obtained my other shinies from trades until I caught a shiny Weepinbell while grinding. The number shinies that I plan to save for competitive usage is only one, though.

UPDATE: The date is 12.08.2015 and I caught a Shiny Drapion.

Last edited:
Haven't found too many in my ~1000 hours of playing Pokemon, found a shiny Palpitoad in Black, and recently found a shiny Bellsprout in a horde. Not really anything else than that. Tried to chain after a shiny Taillow, but after a chain of 100 the chain broke without me being able to do anything about it, I kind of just gave up after staying up in my bed until 3:00 AM trying to get a shiny...

If anyone has seen my trade thread, Larvitars were kind of a main focus for me. I've bred hundreds of the dang things, but I finally bred a competitive shiny. Not only that, it was perfect IVs. I swear I checked it at least five times to be sure, but there it was.

Reactions: JES
Seeing all these awesome stories about shinnies takes me back to my first shiny experiences and boy were they funny to think back upon and also very unfortunate. My first shiny encounter was shiny gengar in the BATTLE PYRAMID!!!. Yeah I know that's so horrible in a place where you can't catch and it's a wild pokemon good job gamefreak. To make things even trollier it killed me. Great. Next I encountered a shiny spinarak in my friends fire red and unfortunately it was his game so yeah big waste of my time.

I have caught a shiny hariyama recently in my omega ruby and I have had four random masuda method pokemon one of them is a flawless hawlucha. The other one is a close to flawless naive swablu and I also a really bad pinsir and awful snorlax. I also have had 3 random friend safari encounters and a ekans horde encounter experience.

I've never actually caught or bred a shiny Pokemon by myself, but I've gotten lots through trading. My first time owning a shiny would be when this guy I found starting giving them to me for little to nothing. I got a bunch. Turns out I looked into it better after the trading was over and most of them were hacked except one: Talonflame. I kept that Talonflame and it is now a core part of my party for that game. Like I said, the others were all hacked, so I traded them off. They included Mismagius, Durant, Surskit, and Siglyiph. I've gotten lots other since then, but I only keep the legit ones.

I also got a level 70+ shiny Shaymin on Wonder Trade for nothing. True story.

Mod edit: Please do not double post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)