General Introduce yourself!

Hello everybody, my name is Austin and I've just recently got into the (deeper than expected) world of pokemon.

Through the last couple of weeks I've been trying to figure out how to effectively build a team, breed, battle, and most importantly of all not get my ass handed to me online. I also hope in the future I can become a help to other people once I know more.

Well that about sums it up.

Hello, long time lurker. But where are my manners?! I should introduce myself!

My name is Joel, which you may address me by, or JES if you prefer.

I have been lurking this forum for many, many months, using the different move sets and natures as suggestions for which to breed Pokemon better meant for battle. That has been going on for probably close to a year now, and I think I've pretty much gotten breeding in IVs and moves down pat at this point, though only now have I finally found the excuse to actually sign up. Pokemon isn't my only interest. So is concept art/design (I'm specifically on a Star Trek kick at this point, having made many sketches for designs for that universe) and Zoids. I bred even quite a few Pokemon for my Alpha Sapphire play-through, and soft-reset for a beneficial nature for my Torchic, Latias, and Beldum, not to mention my Kyogre. Kind of take the fun out a little, until you use them in battle, but losing in wi-fi battles is even less fun, and it is well worth being able to beat any opponents you encounter in-game (though not having my Pokemon obey me while challenging Roxanne: not fun!)!

I first got into Pokemon when every kid was doing it, first the trading card game, then later the video game series, though that had to wait, since my parents would buy it for me. I had to do chores, and save up enough money. I think around this time, Gold and Silver was announced, because that was what I got: a Pichu Pikachu Edition Game Boy Color, and a brand new Silver Version. Ever since, I've remained loyal to the game series. I have no one to play the Trading Card Game with anymore, but the cards that I obtained through the years remain in a closet. I still have the Game Boy Color and Silver Version, and the former and the Crystal version survived being stolen by a bunch of school bullies and hidden behind a bush, which a gardener eventually found, albeit that the GBC has it's wear and tear, and the batteries expired in the cartridges, so of course the save files are gone, but the memories of those who I befriended and played with still remains.

Though after the second generation, I didn't have any friends to play with after moving to Florida, at least not until after Emerald came out, when I found someone else who also played. Unfortunately, after graduating high school, I again found myself with no one else to play with. Oh, he still comes over to my house, so that we can trade, battle, or transfer Pokemon, but it is hardly the same as being able to do so on a regular basis at school.

By the time Generation 5 came out, I was only playing out of tradition, though that changed when I finally managed to get a compatible signal on a regular basis, when my dad changed his router security to WEP (I hated how the WPA encryption was incompatible with my DS). Of course, this made it possible for me to use the Dream World, which I did every day, though I also found out that the Pokemon I was using were no match for my opponents on the internet. I didn't know about IV breeding at the time, or natures, so I suppose that the Pokemon that I started raising afterwards wouldn't've done me much good anyways. On the plus side, I managed to get most of the hidden abilities in this manner, before the DW was sadly shut down.

I suppose that I needed the good kick in the rear, because I only got the White Version: no B2 or W2, since I wasn't playing my White Version much anyways. But after loosing many times in Wifi battles, that really sparked my competitive side, and snapped me out of my complacency, because I didn't like the fact that I wasn't The Very Best, or even close, and that didn't sit very well. I was no more in their league, than the in game characters are in mine. Kind of pathetic really, isn't it?

Though it wasn't until the 6th generation that I found out about this site, and breeding competitive battles, and that I found out that I'd have to revolutionize the way that I raised Pokemon, or I'd continue not to have the upper edge in competitive battles. Though now, I find myself breeding most of the time, and still rarely participate in Wifi battles. I'm always trying to improve, trying to find better strategies and move sets and teams to use. Though at the rate I'm doing things (even with hours spent per day), I'll probably just be an average excuse for a Master.

Hi, I'm Radiating, but that's a handful of characters to type, so call me Rad if you'd like. Started a bit late with the casual when I was 10 with BW, and I've been inspecting the competitive aspect of Pokémon for some time now. School's tied me up, but I've played a bit on PS! and I'm looking to dive deeper.

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
hi everyone, I'm a long-time lurker, but I'm making the effort to post now. I think I may have registered at one point years earlier, but I was not active enough to be remembered, and those forums have probably been long replaced...

Anyhow, I'm a battle-hardened veteran of the Pokemon world, and I've been playing ever since I went out and bought Pokemon Red with my own allowance back in '98. There's no telling how many double A batteries I sucked up into my original model Game Boy. I've played at least one title in each main series release as they've come out, slowly evolving (sorry) as a trainer along the way. By Gen IV, I was breeding for natures, EV training and making competitive movesets. Gen V finally got me trying halfheartedly to get good IVs. In Gen VI, I've taken the full plunge in and always strive for those 5IV mons. Oh my.

anyways, you can probably figure out I'm a bit of an old fuck (in terms of overall Pokemon fandom, at least; I'm in my mid-20s). I try not to take myself too seriously, and I like to joke around a lot. I also love sports and anime. When it comes to competitive Pokemon, I still have a lot to learn, and that's part of the reason I'm here. I'll probably take your word on it before trying to argue otherwise.

I hope we all have some fun times on here! I look forward to trading and battling with all of you!
Hi droptimo!
A real veteran, huh? :) I've never really put much thought into breeding, because I don't really care much for specific natures, etc. If you would like a guide on the different tiers, go here. Have a great time, and I hope to see you around!
Hello everybody, my name is Austin and I've just recently got into the (deeper than expected) world of pokemon.

Through the last couple of weeks I've been trying to figure out how to effectively build a team, breed, battle, and most importantly of all not get my ass handed to me online. I also hope in the future I can become a help to other people once I know more.

Well that about sums it up.
Welcome Alios!
Yeah, I know. Pokemon was much more complex than I thought when I first got involved with it. But, once I got the basics, it makes a lot more sense! If you would like to get some help with competitive battling, visit the link above and/or PM a mentor. Have fun, and I hope to see you in Showdown! (However, if we battle sometime, I can't guarantee that I won't hand your ass to you. ;] )
Hello, long time lurker. But where are my manners?! I should introduce myself!

My name is Joel, which you may address me by, or JES if you prefer.

I have been lurking this forum for many, many months, using the different move sets and natures as suggestions for which to breed Pokemon better meant for battle. That has been going on for probably close to a year now, and I think I've pretty much gotten breeding in IVs and moves down pat at this point, though only now have I finally found the excuse to actually sign up. Pokemon isn't my only interest. So is concept art/design (I'm specifically on a Star Trek kick at this point, having made many sketches for designs for that universe) and Zoids. I bred even quite a few Pokemon for my Alpha Sapphire play-through, and soft-reset for a beneficial nature for my Torchic, Latias, and Beldum, not to mention my Kyogre. Kind of take the fun out a little, until you use them in battle, but losing in wi-fi battles is even less fun, and it is well worth being able to beat any opponents you encounter in-game (though not having my Pokemon obey me while challenging Roxanne: not fun!)!

I first got into Pokemon when every kid was doing it, first the trading card game, then later the video game series, though that had to wait, since my parents would buy it for me. I had to do chores, and save up enough money. I think around this time, Gold and Silver was announced, because that was what I got: a Pichu Pikachu Edition Game Boy Color, and a brand new Silver Version. Ever since, I've remained loyal to the game series. I have no one to play the Trading Card Game with anymore, but the cards that I obtained through the years remain in a closet. I still have the Game Boy Color and Silver Version, and the former and the Crystal version survived being stolen by a bunch of school bullies and hidden behind a bush, which a gardener eventually found, albeit that the GBC has it's wear and tear, and the batteries expired in the cartridges, so of course the save files are gone, but the memories of those who I befriended and played with still remains.

Though after the second generation, I didn't have any friends to play with after moving to Florida, at least not until after Emerald came out, when I found someone else who also played. Unfortunately, after graduating high school, I again found myself with no one else to play with. Oh, he still comes over to my house, so that we can trade, battle, or transfer Pokemon, but it is hardly the same as being able to do so on a regular basis at school.

By the time Generation 5 came out, I was only playing out of tradition, though that changed when I finally managed to get a compatible signal on a regular basis, when my dad changed his router security to WEP (I hated how the WPA encryption was incompatible with my DS). Of course, this made it possible for me to use the Dream World, which I did every day, though I also found out that the Pokemon I was using were no match for my opponents on the internet. I didn't know about IV breeding at the time, or natures, so I suppose that the Pokemon that I started raising afterwards wouldn't've done me much good anyways. On the plus side, I managed to get most of the hidden abilities in this manner, before the DW was sadly shut down.

I suppose that I needed the good kick in the rear, because I only got the White Version: no B2 or W2, since I wasn't playing my White Version much anyways. But after loosing many times in Wifi battles, that really sparked my competitive side, and snapped me out of my complacency, because I didn't like the fact that I wasn't The Very Best, or even close, and that didn't sit very well. I was no more in their league, than the in game characters are in mine. Kind of pathetic really, isn't it?

Though it wasn't until the 6th generation that I found out about this site, and breeding competitive battles, and that I found out that I'd have to revolutionize the way that I raised Pokemon, or I'd continue not to have the upper edge in competitive battles. Though now, I find myself breeding most of the time, and still rarely participate in Wifi battles. I'm always trying to improve, trying to find better strategies and move sets and teams to use. Though at the rate I'm doing things (even with hours spent per day), I'll probably just be an average excuse for a Master.
Hello JES!
Wow, so you have had a lot of Exp. with Pokemon, it seems! It appears that you already have good competitive skills, so I'll just recommend trying out the different rooms and tiers in Showdown! Anyways, have a great experience on both Smogon and in Showdown, and good luck with your Pokemon endeavors (sorry :/ )!
Hi, I'm Radiating, but that's a handful of characters to type, so call me Rad if you'd like. Started a bit late with the casual when I was 10 with BW, and I've been inspecting the competitive aspect of Pokémon for some time now. School's tied me up, but I've played a bit on PS! and I'm looking to dive deeper.
Welcome Radiating!
Nice to meet you! School takes much of my time, too, but I still try to play on PS! often. :I If you would like help with the basics/tiers, go here. In addition, PM a mentor if you need any help. Finally, try out the different tiers and rooms in Showdown, and visit different sections of the forums on Smogon! Have fun, and be sure to stop by the "Smogon Hangout" room sometime! :o

Sup smogon, been a lurker for a while, decided to join im up to speed with a few things from competitive, still trying to get teambuilding down tho. Hope to learn from this helpful community. Thank you in advance for all questions that follow!

Also, looking for a mentor. A little bit more of myself 20, been playing since gen 2 pm me for a battle ORAS! keep smogging

Hey everybody, like a lot of people, I've been a long time lurker to the site and I finally decided to get more serious about picking up competitive play! I've always been a casual player and I took a break after gen 3, but here I am playing again and now it's gen 6! Looking forward to learning and being a part of this great community :)

Like m1dknight, i also stopped on Gen3 and came back 3 months ago with pokemon X! Got into the competitive scene not so long ago but i know the basics, what i really need is ingame battle experience as it seems like i'm kinda good at building teams (always got good reviews on RMT but never got over 1300 on showdown ladder :( )

Hi! I'm Zana, 17 from Costa Rica. Been lurking for a while now. I started playing casually in gen 3 forwards, and competitive on XY, mostly OU and LC. I do art and stuff so I've been thinking of making a thread in the art section here in the forums.

Hello JES!
Wow, so you have had a lot of Exp. with Pokemon, it seems! It appears that you already have good competitive skills, so I'll just recommend trying out the different rooms and tiers in Showdown! Anyways, have a great experience on both Smogon and in Showdown, and good luck with your Pokemon endeavors (sorry :/ )!
Yeah, you could say that I've had a ton of experience, though only recently have I actually become decent in competitive battles. I've considered trying Showdown, but have decided it just wouldn't be worthwhile when I could be using the same time breeding and raising new Pokemon, and I haven't even explored all of Hoenn yet, not to mention that I've never completed my Pokedex yet! I guess that I prefer to learn by trial and error. Besides, I just don't see any point in making Pokemon in Showdown, if I won't be able to also use the Pokemon that I've worked hard to breed and raise, or transfer the Pokemon made in Showdown to my games to join me in whatever future adventures that I have. Yeah, short of being able to transfer Pokemon back and forth between the games and Showdown, I just don't see myself trying it.

I have hopes however that here, I'll continue being able revolutionize the way that I breed Pokemon, and the way that I battle, and learn things that I couldn't've thought of in 3000 years.

Thanks, and yeah, I don't see why you emphasized the endeavor in Pokemon. Sorry. ;)

Hello! My name is Alexis. I've been playing Pokemon since '98. I really want to start getting into competetive battling, I've never done it before. I joined this site because it is filled with so much useful information and the people in the forums are very helpful. Right now I barely know the basics of competetive battling, which is why I'm here. I hope to learn, and maybe even eventually help others with competetive battling!

Hi I'm Magnus Swiftwind or MS for short. I have been playing pokemon for a long time but I just recently got into competitive battling. I would like a mentor to learn more about teambuilding and predicting, especially for monoteams. I actually made a mono bug team on pokemon showdown today that I will probably post it in one of the 'rate my team' topics. Sorry for my bad English btw.

QueBien

Yeah, you could say that I've had a ton of experience, though only recently have I actually become decent in competitive battles. I've considered trying Showdown, but have decided it just wouldn't be worthwhile when I could be using the same time breeding and raising new Pokemon, and I haven't even explored all of Hoenn yet, not to mention that I've never completed my Pokedex yet! I guess that I prefer to learn by trial and error. Besides, I just don't see any point in making Pokemon in Showdown, if I won't be able to also use the Pokemon that I've worked hard to breed and raise, or transfer the Pokemon made in Showdown to my games to join me in whatever future adventures that I have. Yeah, short of being able to transfer Pokemon back and forth between the games and Showdown, I just don't see myself trying it.

I have hopes however that here, I'll continue being able revolutionize the way that I breed Pokemon, and the way that I battle, and learn things that I couldn't've thought of in 3000 years.

Thanks, and yeah, I don't see why you emphasized the endeavor in Pokemon. Sorry. ;)
The move "Endeavor". :)

QueBien

Sup smogon, been a lurker for a while, decided to join im up to speed with a few things from competitive, still trying to get teambuilding down tho. Hope to learn from this helpful community. Thank you in advance for all questions that follow!
Hi Byron2130!
For teambuilding, visit the "Competitive Tutoring" room, PM a mentor, or go here for a guide on it. Wynaut try out some (or all) of the rooms/tiers Showdown has to offer? I'm sure you'll find a few you like! Have a great time on Smogon and in Showdown!
Hey everybody, like a lot of people, I've been a long time lurker to the site and I finally decided to get more serious about picking up competitive play! I've always been a casual player and I took a break after gen 3, but here I am playing again and now it's gen 6! Looking forward to learning and being a part of this great community :)
Hello m1dknight!
Welcome to Smogon! If you would like some help getting the basics of competitive battling down, go here. In addition, feel free to ask any questions you might have. I hope you have fun here!
Like m1dknight, i also stopped on Gen3 and came back 3 months ago with pokemon X! Got into the competitive scene not so long ago but i know the basics, what i really need is ingame battle experience as it seems like i'm kinda good at building teams (always got good reviews on RMT but never got over 1300 on showdown ladder :( )
Hey NeganHigh!
I myself also stopped for a while after Generation 3 (Emerald), then bought Pokemon Y a while back! I think a mentor will be perfect for your situation. Visit the "Competitive Tutoring" or "Smogon Hangout" rooms in Showdown to get one, and ask them any questions. They will be glad to help! Have a great time, and good luck with your ladder-climbing!
Hi! I'm Zana, 17 from Costa Rica. Been lurking for a while now. I started playing casually in gen 3 forwards, and competitive on XY, mostly OU and LC. I do art and stuff so I've been thinking of making a thread in the art section here in the forums.
Nice to meet you, Zanaoria!
(Is your name a variation of "zanahoria" [carrot]?) ;] Have you tried out the "OverUsed" and/or "Little Cup" rooms in Showdown? You can get a feel for the tiers and discuss the tiers' content there. Have fun (and please PM me if you do make an art thread: I love art! n_n)!
Hello! My name is Alexis. I've been playing Pokemon since '98. I really want to start getting into competetive battling, I've never done it before. I joined this site because it is filled with so much useful information and the people in the forums are very helpful. Right now I barely know the basics of competetive battling, which is why I'm here. I hope to learn, and maybe even eventually help others with competetive battling!
Welcome rapturekitty!
Since you are new to competitive battling, go here for the basics and for overviews of the different tiers we have to offer! In addition, PM a mentor if you need any additional help. Stop by the Smogon Hangout room in PS! sometime if you want to chat with other members of the community; otherwise, have fun!
Hi I'm Magnus Swiftwind or MS for short. I have been playing pokemon for a long time but I just recently got into competitive battling. I would like a mentor to learn more about teambuilding and predicting, especially for monoteams. I actually made a mono bug team on pokemon showdown today that I will probably post it in one of the 'rate my team' topics. Sorry for my bad English btw.
Hi Magnus Swiftwind!
PM a mentor here. You can also go to the "Competitive Tutoring" and/or "Smogon Hangout" rooms in Showdown for a quicker way of getting a mentor. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, and have a great time!

Hiiiii

First time on smogon. I've been playing on Showdown (I haven't been able to get ORAS yet) but I'm terrible at it, so I came here hoping to learn more.

Hello, everyone. :)

I've been into competitive Pokemon since gen 4, but never really used Smogon for anything other than the strategy dex. I figured it was about time to start posting and get to know the community!

My forum name, "Shine as fuck", or ShineAF, comes from Fox from SSBM. My avatar is my main from Skullgirls. I like fighting games obviously :P. Hit me up if you wanna play some SGs on steam. Be warned though: I mostly suck at it.

Jaymz

Hey guys, I'm Jaymz. I'm 18. I've been playing Pokemon for about 10 years or so. I've been playing online since 2006. I started out on Pokemon Online, but four years ago I moved to PS. I'm a decent battler, and my goal is to be a major contributor to the forums, as well as a mod on PS. Also, my favorite animes is Soul Eater, Accel World, Ao no Exorcist, and FullMetal Alchemist, in that order.

Nice to meet you, Zanaoria!
(Is your name a variation of "zanahoria" [carrot]?) ;] Have you tried out the "OverUsed" and/or "Little Cup" rooms in Showdown? You can get a feel for the tiers and discuss the tiers' content there. Have fun (and please PM me if you do make an art thread: I love art! n_n)!
Yeah it is zanahoria with a misspelling on purpose :P. I've been laddering on showdown LC the last few days I believe I'm at 1300ish atm. I'll post the art thread once I get more pokemon related art but I'll be sure to pm you :)

QueBien

Hello, everyone. :)

I've been into competitive Pokemon since gen 4, but never really used Smogon for anything other than the strategy dex. I figured it was about time to start posting and get to know the community!

My forum name, "Shine as fuck", or ShineAF, comes from Fox from SSBM. My avatar is my main from Skullgirls. I like fighting games obviously :P. Hit me up if you wanna play some SGs on steam. Be warned though: I mostly suck at it.
Hi ShineAF!
Great that you decided to introduce yourself! It looks like you're pretty much settled in. If you have any questions, PM a mentor. Otherwise, have fun in the forums!
Hey guys, I'm Jaymz. I'm 18. I've been playing Pokemon for about 10 years or so. I've been playing online since 2006. I started out on Pokemon Online, but four years ago I moved to PS. I'm a decent battler, and my goal is to be a major contributor to the forums, as well as a mod on PS. Also, my favorite animes is Soul Eater, Accel World, Ao no Exorcist, and FullMetal Alchemist, in that order.
Hello Jaymz!
Good luck with getting to become a mod! :) In addition, have fun posting in the forums! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask; otherwise, have a great time!

Hey peeps,i am a big fan of pokémon, playing since the red/blue/yellow. But im not actually good with the competitive stuff.Well.(alright im bad)I have played and completed Pokemon Red, Blue , Yellow , Silver, Crystal , Emerald , Sapphire , Fire Red, Heart Gold, Diamond , Black, Black2 , X and AS. Don't get me wrong, im not a ''genwunner'' but hey, Kanto is my favourite. Maybe because the legend of my pokemon life started with it, maybe i just like it.My favourite bro is Machoke,I absolutely love Pidgeot and also Electrode and it's LOL IM GONNA SELFDESTRUCT smile.I actually first played the Showdown simulator, have been hearing about Smogon and its own rules.Well here i am

Last edited:
Hello all. I'm Jonathan. Like most newcomers, I've been playing for a while but am just now trying to get into the competitive scene. Funnily enough, I've been breeding competitively since B2W2 in order to get the Mono Type League achievements. For some reason I really enjoy the idea of mono teams. I only managed to breed two - bug and normal - but by some grace of God when ORAS came out I already had a Beedrill and Lopunny ready to go. It's nice having some heavily threatening Pokemon, although it is also kind of disappointing because I bred those Pokemon mostly because they were NU (as if mono type teams aren't enough, I like them to be NU; I guess I have a liking for the unorthodox). Hell, my defensive wall on my bug team was the ground variant of Wormadam, if that doesn't say enough. I actually just had my first online battle of any kind on Battle Spot. My opponent had three legends and a Typhlosion; I guess I expected as much, as I've heard horrible things about Battle Spot. I used a VERY obvious strategy of Boombursting with my life orb Exploud and protecting with Beedrill so that he could mega evolve, and then attacking with both, and then using Boomburst-Protect every other turn. I realize that almost any competitive player could have shut me down, but my opponent relentlessly tried attacking my Beedrill with Spacial Rand and the like, until he disconnected with one Pokemon remaining. I was kind of disappointed, but I was also pleased that it ended that way. I was very nervous for some reason. xD;; In the back I had my Skill Link Cinccino and Volcarona (these are all remnants of my mono teams, which explains the horrible variety). Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from you all and increase my skill. :)

Hey NeganHigh!
I myself also stopped for a while after Generation 3 (Emerald), then bought Pokemon Y a while back! I think a mentor will be perfect for your situation. Visit the "Competitive Tutoring" or "Smogon Hangout" rooms in Showdown to get one, and ask them any questions. They will be glad to help! Have a great time, and good luck with your ladder-climbing!
I think i'll first use the chats to finish a team and get used to it a little bit..idk, just to give time to the mentors to celebrate the holidays xD I'm thinking about entering the battling 101 on jan, what do you think it's a better idea, the 101 or a mentor?

Hello! I'm King DDD from Pokemon Millennium. I'm the Sovereign of Dream Land and I came to Smogon to learn secrets of ORAS metagame. So I hope to create a lot of interesting Teams with yours advices and to know at least a small part of you, kind companions of mine ^^
Because of my very recent (now) registration I hope to have not wrong section...in this case i ask to how me the true link xD
See you soon my dears ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)