Resource ORAS Good Cores (Check Post #714)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not to step on anyone's toes here but there have only been like 2 new cores out of about 20 posts. All these little discussions are cluttering the thread, there really isnt a reason to debate details over a posted core just post one up that follows the format and the OP will decide if it goes up or not. I mean obviously there can be some discussion about said cores but no reason to draw them out too long. Again I dont want to sound like a douche or minimod just giving a suggestion.
Yeah, 100% agreeing with this. Please keep the discussion to a minimum, and if you really need to take it to pm or vm. Thanks.

Anyway, I'm surprised this core hasn't been posted yet. Its really great and functions well on balanced teams with proper support. Dragalge serves a cool niche of being able to wallbreak pretty much anything. And dragon/poison coverage plus hp fire is unstoppable. Of course, this is prediction reliant but dragalge wil amost always force switches. Fun fact: dragalge's draco hits 8% harder than mega rayquazas with LO. Essentially, dragalge will either get a kill or severely dent something each time it comes in. When paired with mega gyarados, they have great defensive synergy with dragalge resisting bug, fighting, and electric and gyara resisting ice and being immune to dark. Mega gyara is also really dangerous right now because of access to mold breaker taunt. This shuts down mega sableye and juts reks stall in general. Some good partners to this core are wish passers and mons with ground immunity. Gyarados doesn't have recovery and dragalge doesn't either so wish support helps immensely. The ground immunity is useful because dragalge is weak to it and gyara doesnt necessary like taking too many hits. More specifically, togekiss is a great partner, being immunity to ground and providing iwhs/defog support, and rotom is great for taking hits and spreading burns. This core is great try it out guys ;]

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute/ Taunt
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

Gyara should be jolly because outspeeding the new megas like lopunny at +1 is crucial.

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Fire]

EDIT: (Suggestion from yoyonerd)

Dragalge's best set is arguably the specs set since it'll mainly be throwing dracos and sludge waves/bombs. However, a toxic plate or draco plate set can also be used. Life orb shouldn't be used on dragalge since its low speed in tandem with its poor physical bulk will only wear it down even more. Dragalge is meant to tank a weak hit and hit back hard. Gyarados can deal with those steel types that dragalge has trouble with bar ferro (but we have HP fire for that). Sub dd gyara can beat ferro but its a pain because of iron barbs and leech seed. I'm more comfortable predicting a ferro switch and using hp fire. And draco does a ton anyway.

Last edited:
I love MGyara+Dragalge, but you mistyped there. It's Dragon/Poison (anti-fairy) coverage, not Dragon/Fairy :p You oughta explain how Life Orb really isn't that great with Dragalge because of how often you're forced to tank hits. It's also worth a mention that Gyara is amazing at dealing with Steels, with the possible exception of a Ferro throwing Leech Seed. I'd suggest a Wish passer for a possible 3-man core, because both mons benefit a lot from having recovery available to them. I'd go as far as suggesting Togekiss specifically because Defog does a lot, alternatively Clefable because SR makes Dragalge that much scarier. ^^

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split/Rest

A really strong FWG core that does a good job of having its bases covered. Rotom's Volt Switch can help get the other two in safely, and Talonflame and Sceptile demand respect.

I'm not a Pokemon mastermind, so I'll let somebody else elaborate on this if they want to.

Ok, I doesn't wanted to post this core early on because my team was being rated and I think that I could over-promote my own RMT, but since nobody gives a shit to it anymore, here is a very nice SFD core:

Mega Diancie + Scarf Magnezone + Defog Latios

Anyone who already faces Mega Diancie at it's finest probably know the terror she can be if given the chance to set up, so this core was basically made to give her every tool she needs to start breaking havoc and punishing careless players.
Basically, it's a SFD core, so therefore all of them already complement each other nicely, but Diancie however has some little gaps that needed to be fixed... She hates Steel types, particularly Skarmory and (Mega) Scizor, so Magnezone comes in and does a wonderful job getting rid of them by trapping and killing with his so said coverage. Mag also function as a bulky pivot in order to bring Diancie and other member safely due to his quite underrated defenses. Mega Diancie not only loses a lot of his bulk after MegaEVO, but she also shares a Ground problem with Magnezone, making they prone to give a quick stop to both of them, so Latios finishes off this core by bringing a Ground immunity to the table and a ocasional Defogger if things aren't on Diancie's side.

This core is extremely flexible and can be easily worked according your usual architecture, mainly thanks to Diancie: You like Bulky Offense?, Use CM on her; You like Full Offense?, Use HP Fire; You like HO?, RP. The combination of the Filler on Diancie, Specs or Scarf on Mag and the coverage move on Latios makes this core quite unique and endless... So are his checks / counters. Using this core pretty much obligates you to run a dedicated Physical Wallbreaker, thanks to so many special moves along with they... Things like Bisharp, (Mega) Tyranitar and (Mega) Gyarados are also quite annoying if Diancie doesn't already MegaEVO, so a Pokémon that can handle them like SD Breloom can be almost mandatory as far your teambuilding goes. Like any offensive core nowadays, Landorus-T also comes in for free and usually does whatever it likes... A interesting way to fix this issue could be adding Sub Gyarados to the mix since it can reasonably check the Scarf variant while also contributing to the overall synergy of your team. Mega Metagross is also a problem that deserves mention, but like I said, you can fit a check to him in any playstyle, like Bisharp for Offense or Ferrothorn / Slowbro for Bulky Offense. This is the best core I came up until now and is really fun to mess around with, give it a shot and I think you'll like :)

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

Now that I finished write, if you, boltsandbombers find a error or want to make a comment to me add more things to the OP, keep in mind that I'll be online the whole day... Just quote me and tell what you think ok?

EDIT: After some people telling me about Landorus, I've added Gyarados as an possible team member for possible teams, while I gave a polished in general

Last edited:
Nice core mate, it's very common on the ladder from what I have seen but I personally suggest to use EQ on Latios to catch some Heatran so Diancie can use another move instead Earth Power. RP is the best prolly, because you have already Magnezone to beat Steel-type mons. I found Thunderbolt not too much uselful in general, I mean, Azumarill is already 2HKO'd by Psyshock and Thunderbolt just hits Mandibuzz and other Water-type mons but Magnezone can deal with em, as well as Diancie beats Mandibuzz. Merry Christmas, thanks for posting that core.

Ok, I doesn't wanted to post this core early on because my team was being rated and I think that I could over-promote my own RMT, but since nobody gives a shit to it anymore, here is a very nice SFD core:

Anyone who already faces Mega Diancie at it's finest probably know the terror she can be if given the chance to set up, so this core was basically made to give her every tool she needs to start breaking havoc and punishing careless players.
Basically, it's a SFD core, so therefore all of them already complement each other nicely, but Diancie however has some little gaps that needed to be fixed... She hates Steel types, particularly Skarmory and (Mega) Scizor, so Magnezone comes in and does a wonderful job getting rid of them by trapping and killing with his so said coverage. Mag also function as a bulky pivot in order to bring Diancie and other member safely due to his quite underrated defenses. Mega Diancie not only loses a lot of his bulk after MegaEVO, but she also shares a Fighting problem with Magnezone, making they prone to give a quick stop to both of them, so Latios finishes off this core by bringing a Psychic type to the table and a ocasional Defogger if things aren't on Diancie's side.

This core is extremely flexible and can be easily worked according your usual architecture, mainly thanks to Diancie: You like Bulky Offense?, Use CM on her; You like Full Offense?, Use HP Fire; You like HO?, RP. The combination of the Filler on Diancie, Specs or Scarf on Mag and the coverage move on Latios makes this core quite unique and endless... So are his checks / counters. Using this core pretty much obligates you to run a dedicated Physical Wallbreaker, thanks to so many special moves along with they... Things like Bisharp, (Mega) Tyranitar and (Mega) Gyarados are also quite annoying if Diancie doesn't already MegaEVO, so a Pokémon that can handle them like SD Breloom can be almost mandatory as far your teambuilding goes. Mega Metagross is also a problem that deserves mention, but like I said, this core is flexible and you can fit a check to him in any playstyle, like Bisharp for Offense or Ferrothorn / Slowbro for Bulky Offense. This is the best core I came up until now and is really fun to mess around with, give it a shot and I think you'll like :)

Diancie @ Diancite
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

Now that I finished write, if you, boltsandbombers find a error or want to make a comment to me add more things to the OP, keep in mind that I'll be online the whole day... Just quote me and tell what you think ok?
Magneton would probably be better to add more speed to the core and beat stuff like greninja

Nice core mate, it's very common on the ladder from what I have seen but I personally suggest to use EQ on Latios to catch some Heatran so Diancie can use another move instead Earth Power. RP is the best prolly, because you have already Magnezone to beat Steel-type mons. I found Thunderbolt not too much uselful in general, I mean, Azumarill is already 2HKO'd by Psyshock and Thunderbolt just hits Mandibuzz and other Water-type mons but Magnezone can deal with em, as well as Diancie beats Mandibuzz. Merry Christmas, thanks for posting that core.
Well like I said a million times on my post, you can change my core as much as you want... I've just picket the usual sets and make them on PS bcuz they are obligatory on thus subforum but yea even on my RMT there was people telling me the exact same thing. I personally think that EQ on Latios it's just too cruel, like, people send their Heatran on Latios to sponge a Draco while you use EQ and just go rofl the rest of the battle (jk lol).

But then there thing like Earth Power... Simply put, Diancie HAS to have it. Mag is cool and handles Steel Types quite well, but you can't put all your faith on him, especially on this core where him also acts as an pivot, taking damange and delivering Volt Switches to the whole team. Besides that, how could Diancie deal with Excadrill, Bisharp, Heatran, and another fukton of other theats without EP ?... Ironically, Diancie would be walled by other Magnezones, which is arguably his best partner lol.

His varietyness comes into play on her last moveslot, where I tell you can run like 5 different options (I forgot to tell about Protect and Heal Bell) without compromissing her awesomeness. Moonblast, Diamont Storm and Earth Power are mandatory, end of story.

Magneton would probably be better to add more speed to the core and beat stuff like greninja
Right off the bat, Greninja will be banned in 2 weeks; Second, Magneton is way less bulky and a little bit more passive than Magnezone, which is HUGE to this core since Mag checks Mega Scizor, a guy that doesn't die too easily even for HP Fire. In order to kill him, we need as much bulk and firepower as possible

Just a quick little note; Greninja's fate in two weeks should not affect your decisions in core-making in the slightest, and the same goes for any future suspects. The current metagame still has Greninja, and hence should be prepared for. For all we know Greninja might stay in two weeks; last I checked the Smog community was split on the subject.
So
Greninja will be banned in 2 weeks
Is not a legit reason.

... oh and merry christmas. truly this post spreads the holiday cheer

Oh Beedrill-Magnezone-Starmie is a very good core due to the fact that they cover each other weaknesses flawlessly because the last time I used this core my opponent was very annoyed oh yeah could you check my RMT Kyurem-B is Awesome?

Oh Beedrill-Magnezone-Starmie is a very good core due to the fact that they cover each other weaknesses flawlessly because the last time I used this core my opponent was very annoyed oh yeah could you check my RMT Kyurem-B is Awesome?
Well, if you could give your sets and a better description of why it works that'd be great. I can already see why it can -- Magnezone removing steels for Beedrill and forming a volt-turn core while Starmie spins away rocks and keeps up the power of the core. Even so, some elaboration would be nice.
By the way, you probably shouldn't advertise RMTs here because it'd clog up the threads pretty fast; I'd instead ask people on the RMT forum.

Just a quick little note; Greninja's fate in two weeks should not affect your decisions in core-making in the slightest, and the same goes for any future suspects. The current metagame still has Greninja, and hence should be prepared for. For all we know Greninja might stay in two weeks; last I checked the Smog community was split on the subject.
So

Is not a legit reason.

... oh and merry christmas. truly this post spreads the holiday cheer
Greninja may not be banned, I'll give you that, but anyone half-brainded already know that he will be... Does everyone had a doubt that MegaMence wouldn't?, and even then I haven't seen THAT much people running the so called "counters" like Porygon2 on the high levels. I know you was quite a while on the suspect thread (by the bottom of the page, oc), so you can tell me better than anyone that yes, there are some people at Greninja's side recently, but those same persons are being extremely overpressured by the waves of other players that doesn't like him on OU anymore at this exact same moment, aren't they?

Just keep in mind, I agree 100% with you that I'm wrong, but in the worst scenario possible, I can always came back and change something again. Again, sorry if I was rude or anything... I don't wanna be better than anyone here ok?

Oh, Happy Hollidays for you and everybody too!

Beedrill@Beedillite
252 atk 252 spe JOlly
Adaptability
-U turn
-Poison Jab
-Drill Run
Knock Off

The offensive part of the core, Adaptability attacks can rip even pokemon who resist it apart. U turn can Scout, Poison Jab is STAB Drill Run is all coverage and Knock off is 'I dont know what to do' button.

Magnezone@Leftovers
252 Sp.Atk 252 HP Modest
Substitute
Thunderbolt
HP Fire
Thunder Wave

The premier wall breaker, Magnezone, and the defensive part of the core. He is the part of the core that traps and kills steels, most notably Skarmory. Substitute is so that status cannot touch it, T bolt is STAB and hits Skarmory. Hidden Power Fire is for Scizor while T wave cripples steels it cant touch.

Starmie@leftovers
252 HP 252 spe Timid
Rapid Spin
Recover
Hydro Pump
Thunder

The supportive part of the core, Starmie keeps rocks away. Recover is for longevity so he can spin for the whole game and the attacking moves deal enough damage.

Just keep in mind, I agree 100% with you that I'm wrong, but in the worst scenario possible, I can always came back and change something again. Again, sorry if I was rude or anything... I don't wanna be better than anyone here ok?
Yes, but by the same degree, you can come back and change things after the suspect test results. All I'm saying is to play it safe and keep the principle.

Yes, but by the same degree, you can come back and change things after the suspect test results. All I'm saying is to play it safe and keep the principle.
Just my two cents bro

Beedrill@Beedillite
252 atk 252 spe JOlly
Adaptability
-U turn
-Poison Jab
-Drill Run
Knock Off

The offensive part of the core, Adaptability attacks can rip even pokemon who resist it apart. U turn can Scout, Poison Jab is STAB Drill Run is all coverage and Knock off is 'I dont know what to do' button.

Magnezone@Leftovers
252 Sp.Atk 252 HP Modest
Substitute
Thunderbolt
HP Fire
Thunder Wave

The premier wall breaker, Magnezone, and the defensive part of the core. He is the part of the core that traps and kills steels, most notably Skarmory. Substitute is so that status cannot touch it, T bolt is STAB and hits Skarmory. Hidden Power Fire is for Scizor while T wave cripples steels it cant touch.

Starmie@leftovers
252 HP 252 spe Timid
Rapid Spin
Recover
Hydro Pump
Thunder

The supportive part of the core, Starmie keeps rocks away. Recover is for longevity so he can spin for the whole game and the attacking moves deal enough damage.
This looks more like a RMT than a core propely speaking... Could you tell us more details, like what is threatening for this core and what you suggest for the rest of an team for example?

What is threatning for this core? Opposing Magnezone are Scary, and can sweep this core on its own, so a ground type like Excadrill is a good idea. Rotom H also can also threaten this team, and anyway Rocks are helpful to The core so Ttar is a good idea and finally Opposing Ttar and Mega Diancie make a problem so Scizor is a nice Idea.

Threats include Blaziken, Infernape, Grennja etc

Beedrill@Beedillite
252 atk 252 spe JOlly
Adaptability
-U turn
-Poison Jab
-Drill Run
Knock Off

Magnezone@Leftovers
252 Sp.Atk 252 HP Modest
Substitute
Thunderbolt
HP Fire
Thunder Wave

Starmie@leftovers
252 HP 252 spe Timid
Rapid Spin
Recover
Hydro Pump
Thunder

Lol beedillite
anyways, although the basic principle of the core seems okay, there is lots of stuff that needs to be changed. First off, you need to give your pokemon abilities. Changing magnezone to choice scarf would help give you some speed, and a decent revenge killer, as well as form a volt-turn core with beedrill. A better EV spread would be 252 special attack, 252 speed, 4 defense, with a choice scarf. Volt switch, thunderbolt, HP fire, and flash cannon would be your best choices for moves. Timid would also be preferred, allowing you to outspeed base 110s. For starmie, I would probably replace thunder for either thunderbolt or ice beam, as thunder's accuracy is very unreliable. Sand offense also seems to run over this core, so landorus-t or maybe ferrothorn would be good teammates.

EDIT: Also, blaziken is banned lol so it's not a threat

What is threatning for this core? Opposing Magnezone are Scary, and can sweep this core on its own, so a ground type like Excadrill is a good idea. Rotom H also can also threaten this team, and anyway Rocks are helpful to The core so Ttar is a good idea and finally Opposing Ttar and Mega Diancie make a problem so Scizor is a nice Idea.

Threats include Blaziken, Infernape, Grennja etc
oml I don't wanna be harsh or anything, but as Jack The Ripper would say: Let's by parts;

As for your core itself, there are quite a few issues: Your moveset for Beedrill isn't bad per say, but the thing is, she NEEDS Protect in order to safely mega EVO more than other megas out there, so I'm more Protect > Drill Run since it only hits Heatran, and that's it. I see you want a bulkier version of Magnezone to last longer, and therefore support your core longer, but your set is just outright wrong bro... You said that Substitute was for possible Status, but Mag doesn't cares any of them, not even a little, since he's immune to TW and Toxic and Burn is irrelevant since he's a special attacker. Thunderbolt and HP Fire are okay, but ThunderWave is generally a waste of moveslot since Volt Switch is faaaaaaaaaar superior to it. IMO if you really want a bulky Magnezone you should run his Specs Moveset since it doesn't cares about speed too much and thus those EV's are invested on HP instead.

Starmie is generally found either as an Offensive or Defensive Spinner, but your set isn't either of them. Max HP and Speed does not accomplish anything reliably, since the Life Orb or the Reflect Type sets are much better for his purposes (not to include that Thunder is extremely unreliable outside of rain and it should be changed by Thunderbolt immediately... And even saying this I think is much since you already has Magnezone, so Psyshock could ended being more useful)

Overall, I think you doesn't quite have or even understand the required level of skill to build a team from the ground-up, and the fact that you listed Blaziken as a threat just show to us that this is indeed true, since him is banned from the OU tier and therefore you shouldn't need to worry about him. I know you are a newcomer on the competitive scenario here on Smogon, so I highly recommend you to go read more about the tiers and the mechanics that we apply on our battles on the
Starters section on the forum... You could even look for an mentor that could teach you everything you need without needing to worry about decorate a whole book of rules by yourself.

I hope I was useful, cheers

If anything, I would run protect over knock off instead of protect over drill run, since knock off is pretty much redundant coverage considering that the only thing it hits is gengar, and you can just u-turn out of it. Drill run actually hits useful stuff like magnezone and heatran.

Can we post a core that isn't necessarily ORAS (I think all of the mons and moves were available in XY)? I'll go ahead and post it, but I can delete it if necessary.

So this is something I've been working on:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Endeavor

Mamoswine is there to get rocks up and to smack Thundurus with Ice Shard allowing the other two better opportunity to sweep. The combination of Endeavor+Focus Sash+Ice Shard also can get a surprise KO or at least severely damage an opponents wall. Which brings us to the two set-up sweepers. Azumarill is here to threaten the rock and ground types that scare Charizard X and in many cases can use them as set-up bait. The combination of Belly Drum and Knock Off is astounding, letting Azu smash through it's previous counters with ease.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 344-405 (97.7 - 115%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 462-544 (106.9 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I've become pretty fond of the double boosting Zard. It lets you pick and choose how to best start smacking the opponents team. See a potential Scarfed Excadrill, Latios or Garchomp, or a Mega Sceptile or Beedrill? Use Tailwind. If you don't foresee speed being an issue, a +2 Adamant Charizard X is no laughing matter.Outrage and Flare Blitz for the sheer power of this mega. Here's an interesting calc:

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 345-406 (86.6 - 102%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Anyways let me know whatcha guys think. It's something I've been working on and I think it's pretty solid, but any ideas would be great. Obviously a Defog/Spinner is great for the team. I've been using Latias, which is a good Rotom-W and Keldeo switch in, provides Defog and can also use Healing Wish to revive Zard or Azu...but I didn't want to post up the whole team. Haha.

Last edited:
So, I was trying to build around a mon who doesn't really get much love, M-Swampert without Politoed rain support. While searching for answers to the most common mons who wall Mega Pert, I found out that an offensive variant of Celebi was as good as unexpected.

Offensive Core: Mega Swampert and LO Celebi

+

Swampert (Swampert-Mega) (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover / Calm Mind

Mega Swampert is used as a late game cleaner, thanks to his great attack stat and the swift swim boost under his own rain. To weaken his most common switch-ins, a Life Orb Celebi seems like a great fit. Most Celebi are running defensive spreads, set up Calm Minds, Baton Pass here and there, rocks and what else. With Life Orb, dual STAB and HP Fire, Celebi can now weaken or outright KO's a lot of pokemon who easily stop Swampert, acting as a semi-lure. Ferrothorn, defensive Mega Scizor, Rotom-W, Slowbro, Mega Venusaur, Manaphy, Politoed, Amoonguss, Chestnaught are some of those mons. If you want you can forego Recover on Celebi for something like Calm Mind or Nasty Plot, if those CM sweepers really threaten you (even though without Recover this set might not be as effective). You can even complete a possible Water/Fire/Grass core adding something like Earth Power Heatran or Bulk Up Talonflame, in order to create the skeleton for a balanced team.

Last edited:
Can we post a core that isn't necessarily ORAS (I think all of the mons and moves were available in XY)? I'll go ahead and post it, but I can delete it if necessary.

So this is something I've been working on:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Endeavor

Mamoswine is there to get rocks up and to smack Thundurus with Ice Shard allowing the other two better opportunity to sweep. The combination of Endeavor+Focus Sash+Ice Shard also can get a surprise KO or at least severely damage an opponents wall. Which brings us to the two set-up sweepers. Azumarill is here to threaten the rock and ground types that scare Charizard X and in many cases can use them as set-up bait. The combination of Belly Drum and Knock Off is astounding, letting Azu smash through it's previous counters with ease.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 344-405 (97.7 - 115%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 462-544 (106.9 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I've become pretty fond of the double boosting Zard. It lets you pick and choose how to best start smacking the opponents team. See a potential Scarfed Excadrill, Latios or Garchomp, or a Mega Sceptile or Beedrill? Use Tailwind. If you don't foresee speed being an issue, a +2 Adamant Charizard X is no laughing matter. Dragon Claw over Outrage so it's not locked into anything and Flare Blitz for the sheer power of it. Here's some interesting calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 270-318 (88.8 - 104.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 228 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 345-406 (86.6 - 102%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Anyways let me know whatcha guys think. It's something I've been working on and I think it's pretty solid, but any ideas would be great. Obviously a Defog/Spinner is great for the team. I've been using Latias, which is a good Rotom-W switch in, provides Defog and can also use Healing Wish to revive Zard or Azu...but I didn't want to post up the whole team. Haha.
You can give Azumarill some bulk I guess, to switch better on things like Keldeo and have a easier setup. I always went well with 92 EVs in HP so you can try it as well. I would give Outrage Charizard-X a try too, as the Tailwind set usually wants as much fire power as possible. Outrage is definitely way stronger than Dragon Claw and it lets you, for example to beat Quagsire who walls the entire core otherwise (it is one of the few mon that is able to beat BD Azumarill too, thanks to Unaware).

You can give Azumarill some bulk I guess, to switch better on things like Keldeo and have a easier setup. I always went well with 92 EVs in HP so you can try it as well. I would give Outrage Charizard-X a try too, as the Tailwind set usually wants as much fire power as possible. Outrage is definitely way stronger than Dragon Claw and it lets you, for example to beat Quagsire who walls the entire core otherwise (it is one of the few mon that is able to beat BD Azumarill too, thanks to Unaware).
I made the suggested changes to my post! Thanks! I think possibly giving Azu a few more speed EVs might help speed creep others, but yeah I like these changes.

Basically, it's a SFD core, so therefore all of them already complement each other nicely, but Diancie however has some little gaps that needed to be fixed... She hates Steel types, particularly Skarmory and (Mega) Scizor, so Magnezone comes in and does a wonderful job getting rid of them by trapping and killing with his so said coverage. Mag also function as a bulky pivot in order to bring Diancie and other member safely due to his quite underrated defenses. Mega Diancie not only loses a lot of his bulk after MegaEVO, but she also shares a Fighting problem with Magnezone, making they prone to give a quick stop to both of them, so Latios finishes off this core by bringing a Psychic type to the table and a ocasional Defogger if things aren't on Diancie's side.

This core is extremely flexible and can be easily worked according your usual architecture, mainly thanks to Diancie: You like Bulky Offense?, Use CM on her; You like Full Offense?, Use HP Fire; You like HO?, RP. The combination of the Filler on Diancie, Specs or Scarf on Mag and the coverage move on Latios makes this core quite unique and endless... So are his checks / counters. Using this core pretty much obligates you to run a dedicated Physical Wallbreaker, thanks to so many special moves along with they... Things like Bisharp, (Mega) Tyranitar and (Mega) Gyarados are also quite annoying if Diancie doesn't already MegaEVO, so a Pokémon that can handle them like SD Breloom can be almost mandatory as far your teambuilding goes. Mega Metagross is also a problem that deserves mention, but like I said, this core is flexible and you can fit a check to him in any playstyle, like Bisharp for Offense or Ferrothorn / Slowbro for Bulky Offense. This is the best core I came up until now and is really fun to mess around with, give it a shot and I think you'll like :)

Diancie @ Diancite
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Calm Mind

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

I used and posted this exact core. Just a statement here, U turn scarfed lando wrecks this, and that's not good because it is so common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)