ORAS Doubles OU Alakazam on a trick room team?

My first successful team on showdown, currently making it a reality in Alpha Sapphire. The team is based around Dusclops, and a little bit of Alakazam for fun
The Scwad:

Dusclops@ Eviolite
Frisk
Sassy
252 Sp Def 252 Def 4 HP
-Trick Room
-Will-o-Wisp
-Pain Split
-Curse

Main trick room setter, and nearly always a lead. Nearly guaranteed to get trick room up with a fake out. WoW to cripple physical attackers, and adds some damage. Pain Split is an amazing move that keeps Dusclops around while putting many opponents into Hariyama's OHKO range depending on how healthy he is. Curse is great for adding extra dange every turn while putting him in a good situation to use pain split next turn. (It's hard for things to KO him even at half health.)

Hariyama Toxic Orb
Guts
Brave
252 Atk 252 HP 4 Def
-Facade
-Close Combat
-Fake Out
-Bullet Punch

Second lead, fake out to get trick room up, and let's toxic orb activate. Then his job is to punch as big a hole as possible in the opponents before fainting. Close Combat and boosted facade take down most frail mons in one shot, and nearly everything in two.

Ferrothorn Iron ball
Iron Barbs
Brave
252 HP 252 Atk 4 Def
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip
-Knock Off
-Swords Danse

This beast is one of the best trick room attackers that will destroy with an iron ball boosted gyro ball. If it's safe to set up a SD, the game is basically over.

Slowking Life Orb
Oblivious
Quiet
252 HP 252 Sp. Atk 4 Sp. Def
-Trick Room
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Nasty Plot

My second trick room setter. Comes out first if I expect a taunt because of Oblivious. Deals with MegaMence, Garchomp and the likes with ice beam, scald as the water STAB, and nasty plot if I get a chance. Used over Slowbro for better special defence next to the physically defensive ferrothorn and nasty plot.

Camerupt @Cameruptite
Sheer Force
Quiet
252 HP 252 Sp. Atk 4 Def
-Eruption
-Earth Power
-Protect
-Rock Slide

Mega Camerupt under trick room is unreal. Eruptions destroy anything that doesn't resist, and puts a dent even in those. Sheer force boosted Earth power for coverage and when health gets low, and rock slide to damage T-Flame and Zard hard, even though it's physical.

Alakazam Focus sash
Magic Guard
Timid
252 Sp. Atk 252 Speed
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Dazzling Gleam
-Protect

Alakazam is my late game clean up, after TR is gone. Protect is to stall out a final trick room turn, and with the sash she can beat most final pokemon on an opposing team 1v1, which secures many victory i otherwise may not have.

Finally, I really like this team because of its ability to beat other Trick Room teams. If I'm facing another, I lead with Slowking and Ferrothorn, Nasty Plot and Swords Dance while
they set trick room, and then bring out the broom.
Thanks Guys! any comments or suggestions would be great.

Okay- after looking at the team, a big thing that jumps out at me is type weakness. Half of your team (Dusclops, Slowking and Alakazam) are weak to ghost types/dark types, and while you have one dark-type resist, you have ghost type resists. I really don't like having a team be half weak to certain types, but doing it with no resists, really doesn't seem to work the best. The especially bad thing about it is Dusclops and Slowking are both crucial to setting up trick room, meaning that if something threatens both of them out, you're done for. Since your team is based around Dusclops, that would mean replacing either Slowking or Alakazam. Your team was slightly based around Alakazam as well, so I suppose that would mean replacing Slowking.
If you want a specially offensive TR setter which is does not share any weaknesses with Dusclops, I'd recommend replacing Slowking with Aromatisse. While Audino could provide a ghost immunity, it simply does not have any offensive presence, and you probably don't want both of your TR setters to be offensive dead weight. If you were willing to replace Dusclops, I would have recommended replacing Dusclops with Audino, but obviously that's not going to fit with your vision.
Simply put, most TR setters are either ghost or psychic type, and if you're making a Trick Room team, you need to consciously keep an eye on their shared weaknesses, and probably choose a setter who isn't one of those types.
But anyways, my recommendation for the future is just to keep an eye on your team's type resistances as a whole. If you have a team which is half weak to something with no resists, then that's a problem. If the two linchpins of your team are both weak to that type, such as both being the only setters of trick room, that's an even bigger problem.

Hi and welcome to Smogon! I like the idea for the team, but it will need some tweaking to make it truly great. For starters, you want Protect on nearly everything. Nasty Plot --> Protect on the Bro, Facade --> Protect on Hariyama, and Swords Dance --> Protect on Ferrothorn. Protect is nice to stall a turn, scout for a move and waste an opponents move if they double target. Your items should be changed too. Iron Ball --> Lum Berry on Ferrothorn. It's so slow anyway that Iron Ball is a wasted move slot. Lum Berry lets you take a Will-o-Wisp from Rotom-Wash and OHKO it back with Power Whip. Toxic Orb --> Flame Orb on Hariyama. Toxic orb does less damage over the 5 tunes Trick Room lasts than Hariyama. Also, if you want an oblivious TR setter, then Aromateese is probably the best to use since it can't be encored or taunted.

Aromatisse @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 212 SpA / 28 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Moonblast
- Helping Hand
- Heal Pulse
- Trick Room
You can read about the set here. I changed HP Ground to Helping Hand, because Aromateese isn't that strong anyway so Helping Hand can strengthen you ally for a surprise OHKO.

Your team probably will want an intimidator, so Hariyama could be changed to Scrafty. It still has fake out, but it has the advantage of having intimidate. It is slightly faster unfortunately :[.

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Brick Break
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / Stone Edge

My last rate is not meant to be rude, so please don't be offended. Alakazam is completely outclassed by Deoxys-A, so it should be changed. But Deo-A is bad on TR due to it needing to always go first, so you'll probably want to replace it, but I'm not sure what to replace it with. Experiment around with it, I'm sure you'll find something better. Good luck with the team and always remember to have fun.

One more thing, can you add a little bit more description to each pokemon? A moderator can lock the thread if you don't and then you can get any more rates!! Happy holidays!

Also, this is my 200th post! I was thinking that I wanted to make his my salamenceite vote, but I think getting more people into the metagame is a better cause for a 200th post.

Thank you guys so much for the replies, you can probably tell this is my first post here. Yah I've had trouble with Aegislash so I think I will switch to Aromatisse. I would use Deo but because I plan on actually making the team on the game I thought it would be a ton easier to get a competitve alakazam (and its my favorite so that too). I've also had some trouble with Breloom and Amoongus putting me too sleep, depending on whether or not TR is up. Any suggestions on that?

Thank you guys so much for the replies, you can probably tell this is my first post here. Yah I've had trouble with Aegislash so I think I will switch to Aromatisse. I would use Deo but because I plan on actually making the team on the game I thought it would be a ton easier to get a competitve alakazam (and its my favorite so that too). I've also had some trouble with Breloom and Amoongus putting me too sleep, depending on whether or not TR is up. Any suggestions on that?
Safety goggles make pokemon immune to spore and rage powder, and and any grass type is immune to them too. Try using your own amoongus maybe? I'm not sure. If a pokemon has ice punch or some grass killing move, you could give it safety goggles.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sup, I was actually planning on rating this earlier but yeah. Kazoo has some decent ideas, but lets break this down even more, since you pointed out some key weaknesses, and ones which Trick Room teams should try and avoid at all costs (Amoong / Sleep spam, Aegislash). First key area I want to address first:
Yah I've had trouble with Aegislash so I think I will switch to Aromatisse
If you already have existing issues with Aegislash, adding a fairy type is just exacerbating already underlying issues with your team. However, this can be worked around by simply modifying the Alakazam slot, which is frankly holding your team back in theory (and after giving this team a few plays on PS!, in application as well).

Whilst the main core works well, I found myself almost always wishing Alakazam was something else, even when I didn't have Trick Room up as it's simply a poor choice in the doubles metagame. It's not to say that having a fast option on a Trick Room team is a bad idea, in fact it's a pretty nifty option to have, Alakazam is simply too frail to work well. For that reason I suggest you consider Safety Goggles Rotom-H instead of Alakazam, as it checks all 3 of your listed weaknesses, as well as gives you a really solid counter to sun teams, and a secondary Will-o-Wisp user to help handle physical threats.

The thing about every Rotom form is that they could not be running a 252 / 252 / 4 spread due to their great stat spread. I know of a set for it that you could try out.

Rotom-Heat @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 200 Def / 252 SpA / 48 SpD / 8 HP
Relaxed/ Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
It does 80-90% to shield aegis if it's relaxed and has a 25% chance to OHKO if it's quiet. The EV spread lets it tank 2 mega Salamence double edges and it can cripple it with WoW. The remaining EVs were thrown into special Defence and the 8 EVs that were originally in speed we're put into HP because I'm too lazy to find a better place for them. Shadow ball does 2hko in return though.

There are more sets that are probably better, and you can take EVs out of Defence and SPA to put into SpDef so it can tank 2 shadow balls. If anyone else knows of a good set, please post it. Good luck with the Rotom-H!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)