Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

I just noticed that Mismagius gets Mystical Fire...is that worth considering a move slot compared to its other offensive non-STAB moves because Fire is so spamable now?

It's certainly usable in order to spinblock and beat Cryogonal, but I don't find much other use for it because it's so weak.
Mystical fire is a stronger move than hp fire if you run it but shadow ball dazzling gleam sub nasty plot seems like the better option honestly

I just noticed that Mismagius gets Mystical Fire...is that worth considering a move slot compared to its other offensive non-STAB moves because Fire is so spamable now?
It only hits Cryogonal a bit stronger and OHKO's things like ferroseed, I don't think it's worth it.

Me and Oshony PokeGod fucked around with Mystical Fire Mismagius before it was cool. No it isn't worth it. You literally hit everything you need to cover with either Wisp or SBall arguably more effectively. With Taunt Ferroseed is setup / kill bait anyways.

Also whoever said Cryogonal takes damage:
252 SpA Mismagius Mystical Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cryogonal: 94-112 (33.4 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Nice 1. #recover

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Me and Oshony PokeGod fucked around with Mystical Fire Mismagius before it was cool. No it isn't worth it. You literally hit everything you need to cover with either Wisp or SBall arguably more effectively. With Taunt Ferroseed is setup / kill bait anyways.
It sounds to me like you're using Mystical Fire on a stallbreaking Magius or some shit, mainly because I don't see how Ferroseed is easy bait when Gyro Ball does clean over half to any Mismagius variant bar stallbreaking ones.

Mystical Fire should really only be used on Nasty Plot Mismagius since the boost lets it actually get the kills it needs, like OHKOing Ferroseed with +2 (granted, even 0 SpA Mismagius can do this), but more importantly, it forces Cryogonal into a cripplingly bad scenario and gives Magius the edge regardless of the speedtie; between Nasty Plotted Mystical Fires outdamaging its recovery and weakening its attacks, Cryogonal is given little to no room to retaliate. The SpA drop also means that things like Pyroar and Mega Audino don't take advantage of Mismagius so easily.

Who are some good priority users in NU besides Sneasel?
Based on priority

Quick Attack (Zangoose, Swellow) Fake Out + Sucker Punch (Kangaskhan), Sucker Punch (Pawniard, Cacturne), Aqua Jet (Samurott, most Feraligatr variants), Extremespeed (Linoone, although it's definitely the weakest unless you can get up a Belly Drum), and the Pranksters technically can count (Liepard, Meowstic-M, Volbeat, Murkrow, and a bunch of other NFEs)

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
Based on priority

Quick Attack (Zangoose, Swellow) Fake Out + Sucker Punch (Kangaskhan), Sucker Punch (Pawniard, Cacturne), Aqua Jet (Samurott, most Feraligatr variants), Extremespeed (Linoone, although it's definitely the weakest unless you can get up a Belly Drum), and the Pranksters technically can count (Liepard, Meowstic-M, Volbeat, Murkrow, and a bunch of other NFEs)
You forgot Mach Punch (Gurdurr) and Ice Shard (Sneasel, Piloswine). Huntail and Liepard are also users of Sucker Punch.
e: also, Kecleon is a user of Fake Out, Sucker Punch, and Shadow Sneak.

Last edited:
What are 5 good counters to Malamar besides Scyther please?

Thank you kindly for reading my question! :)
Focus Sash Shedinja does alright but may get promoted to RU

Thank You for answering

Actually, I just tested it, and Found Shedinja works AWESOME, as well as
Vivillon
Accelgor
Vespiquen
Ninjask

Last edited by a moderator:
Banded Dodrio and Rapidash does well as long as Malamar does not get Superpower defense boost. Can you reply to my RMT The Big Boss is Back. Oh and Torkoal with willo can Stall him Out right even at + 6 atk. oh and as Oshony Pokegod said TTMalamar does well, Scarf jolly Granbull as well.

Last edited:

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Banded Dodrio and Rapidash does well as long as Malamar does not get Superpower defense boost. Can you reply to my RMT The Big Boss is Back. Oh and Torkoal with willo can Stall him Out right even at + 6 atk. oh and as Oshony Pokegod said TTMalamar does well, Scarf jolly Granbull as well.
Torkoal is setup fodder for Rest talk Malamar and Offensive Granbull cannot 2hko if you are at +2 defense.
What are 5 good counters to Malamar besides Scyther please?

Thank you kindly for reading my question! :)
Your best bets are probably Colbur Berry Mismagius, Colbur Berry Mesprit, Mega Audino, Signal Beam Musharna, and Signal Be Uxie if you're some answers that can take a hit or two. However, Malamar is a pokemon that doesn't have many "hard counters" because of its immunity to status, great setup option, and great typing for nu.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
>granbullhasn'tbeenmentioned
Defensive Granbull is actually setup for Malamar assuming Mar gets one superpower off on the bull switchin. I don't have the calc on me rn cause mobile but you can check yourself.
Also I addressed his offensive Granbull mention in my post

Torkoal is setup fodder for Rest talk Malamar and Offensive Granbull cannot 2hko if you are at +2 defense.

Your best bets are probably Colbur Berry Mismagius, Colbur Berry Mesprit, Mega Audino, Signal Beam Musharna, and Signal Be Uxie if you're some answers that can take a hit or two. However, Malamar is a pokemon that doesn't have many "hard counters" because of its immunity to status, great setup option, and great typing for nu.
Ahh good I already have some decent Malamar counters in my team then. Thank you for the awesome suggestions.

Would it be wise to try an offensive Vileplume with 252 HP/252 SpA Modest Nature @ Black Sludge: Giga Drain/Energy Ball, Sludge Bomb, Moonblast and Synthesis? How much speed would be good?

She just doesn't seem to fair well against the physical attackers in the tier, ends up dieing fairly quickly(my prediction is to blame somewhat) Thought maybe if I invest SpA and add Moonblast I can hit things hard like Malamar, Hariyama, Throh and Sawk who would otherwise beat me at 252 HP/252 Def Bold Nature. Also will let me ohko those water types, and hit overall harder.

But would the lack of bulk be worth it?

Thoughts, opinions?

Ahh good I already have some decent Malamar counters in my team then. Thank you for the awesome suggestions.

Would it be wise to try an offensive Vileplume with 252 HP/252 SpA Modest Nature @ Black Sludge: Giga Drain/Energy Ball, Sludge Bomb, Moonblast and Synthesis? How much speed would be good?

She just doesn't seem to fair well against the physical attackers in the tier, ends up dieing fairly quickly(my prediction is to blame somewhat) Thought maybe if I invest SpA and add Moonblast I can hit things hard like Malamar, Hariyama, Throh and Sawk who would otherwise beat me at 252 HP/252 Def Bold Nature. Also will let me ohko those water types, and hit overall harder.

But would the lack of bulk be worth it?

Thoughts, opinions?
Offensive Plume has been used consistently by many top players. However, it shouldn't be recklessly switched into every physical mon in the tier, but rather used as a gluemon for bulky offensive teams to pressure physical attackers while not losing any firepower. It can be an effective pivot, but it definitely is harder to throw out recklessly than a defensive variant. HP Fire or Sleep Powder is typically preferred to Moonblast, but if you are THAT malamar weak I guess you could go with that.
(Never use EBall though the 5 power doesn't get any notable KOs over Giga, and you lose passive healing)

Offensive Plume has been used consistently by many top players. However, it shouldn't be recklessly switched into every physical mon in the tier, but rather used as a gluemon for bulky offensive teams to pressure physical attackers while not losing any firepower. It can be an effective pivot, but it definitely is harder to throw out recklessly than a defensive variant. HP Fire or Sleep Powder is typically preferred to Moonblast, but if you are THAT malamar weak I guess you could go with that.
(Never use EBall though the 5 power doesn't get any notable KOs over Giga, and you lose passive healing)
Well HP Fire would only let me hit Ferroseed, Steelix, Bisharp prevo and Klinklang harder.(who I've yet to have problems with) while fighting and dark types pressure me more.

I missed two Sleep Powders in a row starting nu, so I only use moves with 100% accuracy.

What Pokemon is the most threatening in nu right now?

Just noticed that Mega Audino is A ranking in the viability ranking.

What can reliabily beat this thing or at least 2HKO it besides Steelix?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)