Resource RU Viability Ranking: ORAS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Eelektross: I've been using this on a team recently, and it definitely deserves to move up to B+. It is arguably the best switch-in for Mega Pidgeot thanks to Assault Vest and Hurricane resistance. Also, thanks to Knock Off. Eel doesn't even need HP Ice to beat Gligar. It can just use Knock Off to remove Eviolite and then spam Giga Drain, which Gligar can't Roost on. While HP Ice definitely deals with Mega Sceptile swiftly, it isn't fully necessary as Flamethrower does a nice 37-44%, meaning it can still generally handle Mega Sceptile if it has taken a little bit of prior damage. What's more is that Eel has a really slow Volt Switch, which is great for getting in slow powerhouses like Tyrantrum, Pangoro, and Dragalge with little risk. It's kinda worn down easily if you can block Giga Drain effectively and doesn't really have many resistances, (Ground immunity and Electric / Flying resist is it) but the ability to check Mega Pidgeot, remove items with Knock Off, and get some powerful teammates in safely is enough to make it B+ imo.

First of I'm going to say that this is not a joke
Anyways without further ado:
Unranked-> D-Rank
Alright so you're already thinking, "what the hell are you thinking nominating a garb mon like Magcargo to be with the almighty baby hippo and friends. It's defensive typing is garbage, etc." I will concede that the defensive typing is pretty bad but it does have a niche which is incredibly valuable. It is one of the best Moltres counters o.o. I have a stall team with this lil' snail and, while only being on the team cause Moltres is mean, pulled some weight. With access to reliable recovery(Recover) that Moltres checks such as Rhyperior would die for. When I said it pulled a decent amount of weight being able to beat some Grass-types such as Amoonguss and defensive Tangrowth.
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Magcargo: 94-112 (31 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Magcargo: 94-112 (31 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Magcargo: 47-56 (15.5 - 18.4%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Magcargo: 69-82 (22.7 - 27%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
So you see that this thing is pretty sturdy now what exactly can it do back?
0 SpA Magcargo Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Moltres: 244-292 (76 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
So yeah, this thing is really good when it comes to countering Moltres and that's pretty much its niche so consider these other calcs a bonus:
0 SpA Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Magcargo: 58-70 (19.1 - 23.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Magcargo Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 96 SpD Amoonguss: 152-182 (35.1 - 42.1%) -- 85.8% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
It can spam spore which is true but you can just run 8 speed to outspeed pretty much every amoonguss.
0 SpA Tangrowth Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Magcargo: 73-87 (24 - 28.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Magcargo Lava Plume vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Tangrowth: 246-290 (61 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Once again it can spam speed but you can just recover off the damage.

So please take me seriously when considering this, while it is like SUPER niche it is a really, really good niche. Yes for the most part it is deadweight vs non-moltres teams but when it does face a team with Moltres, it can be incredibly handy. Oh and it also is the bane of Fletchinder as it can't even be burned.

Last edited:
Eelektross: I've been using this on a team recently, and it definitely deserves to move up to B+. It is arguably the best switch-in for Mega Pidgeot thanks to Assault Vest and Hurricane resistance. Also, thanks to Knock Off. Eel doesn't even need HP Ice to beat Gligar. It can just use Knock Off to remove Eviolite and then spam Giga Drain, which Gligar can't Roost on. While HP Ice definitely deals with Mega Sceptile swiftly, it isn't fully necessary as Flamethrower does a nice 37-44%, meaning it can still generally handle Mega Sceptile if it has taken a little bit of prior damage. What's more is that Eel has a really slow Volt Switch, which is great for getting in slow powerhouses like Tyrantrum, Pangoro, and Dragalge with little risk. It's kinda worn down easily if you can block Giga Drain effectively and doesn't really have many resistances, (Ground immunity and Electric / Flying resist is it) but the ability to check Mega Pidgeot, remove items with Knock Off, and get some powerful teammates in safely is enough to make it B+ imo.
Electric resists steel as well, good for the occasional iron head user I guess.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nominating DUR MOTHER FUCKING ANT to A- rank

Now, Hone Claws Durant is a monster. It doesn't have a hard time setting up, and it can kill at least 1-2 pokemon each time depending on how well the set up is executed. The typing is a godsend, as you're weak only to fire type attacks. Above average physical attack allows it to come in on some attacks (I don't mean shit like LO Reckless HJK don't be silly now) and set up a sweep. The real problem with Durant is 4MSS. Between the necessity of Hone Claws and STABs, you have 1 slot that can have any of Crunch, Superpower, or Rock Slide to tag Doublade/Jellicent, Cobalion/Escavalier, or LO Moltres/Fletchinder, respectively. With the team I'm using (you can find it in that core thread where this week's core is Slurpuff + Mega Shark) I've opted for Superpower, since I feel it covers the most relevant targets and I have Eel for Moltres. Durant really is just such a powerful pokemon behind a +1 and Hustle Boost, and I still feel like it is something teams should prepare for.

Also since I'm about to go bowling, I'll just say what I think about other noms real quick.

Escavalier to A (always be hittin shit hard as f)
Omastar stays where is (Competiton w Accelgor)
Eelektross to B+ Or A- (also on the Durant team, slow Volt Switch is a BLESSING for Durant)
Slowking to A (AV set is too good.)
Magcargo to D (so I don't have to see it in the thread anymore)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alrighty, made some updates! :)

Omastar moved up to B+ rank
Slowking moved up to A rank
Eelektross moved up to B+ rank
Escavalier moved up to A rank

Not sure on Durant/Magcargo so i'm going to leave them alone for now.

ALSO

User: Bummer is working on a new banner for this thread, should be ready in the next few days :).

Slurpuff for A rank

Seriously why isn't this A rank? The advent of drain punch was a godsend for slurpuff giving it coverage against steel types it always struggled with and with drain punch in it's moves it is capable of turning steel types from hard counters to mere checks as if with some prior damage drain punch beats registeel, bronzong, escavalier, durant, steelix and mega steelix which is rather easy as none of these mentioned pokemon have no recovery and are prone to switching so hazards are a pain for them bar bronzong. Finally offense struggles with this because after unburden it outspeeds most non scarfed pokemon and can bully offensive teams with belly drum boosted hits. Another plus is it resists sucker punch and mach punch making it harder to revenge kill as it can also take fletchinder's acrobatics.
252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 153-181 (48.1 - 56.9%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Slurpuff for A rank

Seriously why isn't this A rank? The advent of drain punch was a godsend for slurpuff giving it coverage against steel types it always struggled with and with drain punch in it's moves it is capable of turning steel types to hard counters to mere checks as if with some prior damage drain punch beats registeel, bronzong, escavalier, durant, steelix and mega steelix which is rather easy as none of these mentioned pokemon have no recovery and are prone to switching so hazards are a pain for them bar bronzong. Finally offense struggles with this because after unburden it outspeeds most non scarfed pokemon and can bully offensive teams with belly drum boosted hits. Another plus is it resists sucker punch and mach punch making it harder to revenge kill as it can also take fletchinder's acrobatics.
252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 153-181 (48.1 - 56.9%) -- 91% chance to 2HKO
I disagree with that basically because it's hard to find opportunities for Slurpuff to set up, especially against offensive teams. And even then, 3 out of the 5 most relevant steel types still can take at least 1 hit and OHKO back:

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 2 Def Bronzong: 228-269 (67.4 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Drain Punch vs. 174 HP / 0 Def Escavalier: 248-292 (76.5 - 90.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 109-129 (34.9 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

I realize that it's easy to get prior damage on the first two, but then again if I see a Slurpuff I'd definitely try and keep them healthy, and play conservatively. Other than those 3 though, there are still the bulky Pokemon in RU like Alomomola, Amoonguss, and Golbat, the former which Slurpuff can't set up on unless it has Aromatherapy/substitute because it could easily stall it out with Toxic or get a burn with Scald, and the latter two can take a hit and retaliate. Admittedly though, Golbat won't be doing much (Brave Bird 59.7 - 70.5%), but you get my point.

It really struggles to set up against offense as I said because a lot of things can outspeed and inflict enough damage to make it unable to use Belly Drum, or if it is able to use Belly Drum then it would have little HP afterwards where any priority user could pick it off. Additionally, as I said, offense can have Pokemon like Escavalier which can always take 1 from full health.

The main problem with Slurpuff is the fact that it's hard to set up with unless it's used alongside Memento support, which imo is pretty good but still.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Making a quick nom:

B+ ----> A-
At first, I thought that giving Outrage to Tyrantum wouldn't make much of a difference but my experience while laddering clearly proved me wrong. With a typing that easily checks top tier threats like Moltres and Mega Pidgeot, access Dragon Dance and great coverage options like Crunch and Fire Fang Tyrantum finds plenty of opportunities to set up but the thing that impressed me the most about this menacing T-Rex is his defenses; Tyrantum has a base HP stat of 87 and a defense stat of 119, to put it in perspective, Bronzong, who is currently ranked A- for his defensive capabilities, has a base HP stat of 67 and a defense stat of 112 which in theory makes Tyrantum physically bulkier than one of the top walls in RU (I'm obviously not saying that Tyrantum is a better wall than Bronzong for those not smart enough to notice). This means that Tyrantum can actually take a lot of priority moves with no defensive investment making it very difficult to revenge kill.

252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 151-182 (49.5 - 59.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses
Spiritomb Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 118-139 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk
Doublade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 55-66 (18 - 21.6%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band
Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 119-141 (39 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 134-160 (43.9 - 52.4%) -- 16.4% chance to 2HKO

If you don't like his DD set for some reason, our dinosaur friend can also use a Choice Scarf and Choice Band set, Scarf makes Tyrantum a decent revenge killer and a possible late game cleaner with Outrage while the latter gives Tyrantum an insane amount of walbreaking capability allowing it to 2HKO things like Cresselia and even Alomomola after rocks. TBH at the beginning of the meta I saw Tyrantum as an overrated mon but after laddering for a while I he gained a new respect from me.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Making a quick nom:

B+ ----> A-
At first, I thought that giving Outrage to Tyrantum wouldn't make much of a difference but my experience while laddering clearly proved me wrong. With a typing that easily checks top tier threats like Moltres and Mega Pidgeot, access Dragon Dance and great coverage options like Crunch and Fire Fang Tyrantum finds plenty of opportunities to set up but the thing that impressed me the most about this menacing T-Rex is his defenses; Tyrantum has a base HP stat of 87 and a defense stat of 119, to put it in perspective, Bronzong, who is currently ranked A- for his defensive capabilities, has a base HP stat of 67 and a defense stat of 112 which in theory makes Tyrantum physically bulkier than one of the top walls in RU (I'm obviously not saying that Tyrantum is a better wall than Bronzong for those not smart enough to notice). This means that Tyrantum can actually take a lot of priority moves with no defensive investment making it very difficult to revenge kill.

252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 151-182 (49.5 - 59.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses
Spiritomb Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 118-139 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk
Doublade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 55-66 (18 - 21.6%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band
Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 119-141 (39 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb
Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 134-160 (43.9 - 52.4%) -- 16.4% chance to 2HKO

If you don't like his DD set for some reason, our dinosaur friend can also use a Choice Scarf and Choice Band set, Scarf makes Tyrantum a decent revenge killer and a possible late game cleaner with Outrage while the latter gives Tyrantum an insane amount of walbreaking capability allowing it to 2HKO things like Cresselia and even Alomomola after rocks. TBH at the beginning of the meta I saw Tyrantum as an overrated mon but after laddering for a while I he gained a new respect from me.
While Scarf is an awesome set I've been using extensively on my hyper offense teams, and Band is an amazing wallbreaker (EonX can attest to this), its low Specal Defense and HP prevent him from effectively checking many of the things it is supposed to check, such as Moltres and Mega Pidgeot.
252 SpA Mega Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyrantrum: 141-167 (46 - 54.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyrantrum: 174-205 (56.8 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA (Choice Scarf) Moltres Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyrantrum: 134-158 (43.7-51.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Furthermore, its low Speed, 71, hurts the viability of its Choice Scarf set. This makes it unable to revenge kill Mega Sceptile, as it falls around 30 points short even with a Jolly nature. While Jolly Tyrantrum is faster than regular form Sceptile at +1 (with a Scarf, or at +1 via DD), it is slower than the Mega Evolved form, leaving it easily revenge killed in return. Furthermore, Outrage, its only Dragon-type STAB, leaves it as either set-up bait for Slurpuff or easily revenged or set up on by things like Doublade and Durant.

In conclusion, I believe that Tyrantrum's middling special bulk, mediocre Speed, and reliance on Outrage leave it unworthy of going above B+ in my opinion.

While Scarf is an awesome set I've been using extensively on my hyper offense teams, and Band is an amazing wallbreaker (EonX can attest to this), its low Specal Defense and HP prevent him from effectively checking many of the things it is supposed to check, such as Moltres and Mega Pidgeot.
252 SpA Mega Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyrantrum: 141-167 (46 - 54.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Moltres Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyrantrum: 174-205 (56.8 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA (Choice Scarf) Moltres Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyrantrum: 134-158 (43.7-51.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Furthermore, its low Speed, 71, hurts the viability of its Choice Scarf set. This makes it unable to revenge kill Mega Sceptile, as it falls around 30 points short even with a Jolly nature. While Jolly Tyrantrum is faster than regular form Sceptile at +1 (with a Scarf, or at +1 via DD), it is slower than the Mega Evolved form, leaving it easily revenge killed in return. Furthermore, Outrage, its only Dragon-type STAB, leaves it as either set-up bait for Slurpuff or easily revenged or set up on by things like Doublade and Durant.

In conclusion, I believe that Tyrantrum's middling special bulk, mediocre Speed, and reliance on Outrage leave it unworthy of going above B+ in my opinion.
I do agre, Investing speed in him its not so good , its jsut a mediocre scarfer.
I use my Tyrantrum with Assault vest and max Hp investment and he doesnt die as easy.. How can he be Setup Bait for Surpuff when Banded Stone Edge is Extremely strong ,I don´t think Sur has the luxury to take a STAB from 121 base Attack, especially when banded. I do believe he deserves the A rank.

Last edited:

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Personally I've been playing with Sub + 3 Attack Tyrantrum and it's really good, but if we're making it A we must make Durant A- between Hone Claws, STABs, and either Superpower, Crunch, or Rock Slide, it beats at least 80% of the S, A+, A, and A- pokemon, and can test against Moltres if it's the Life Orb set. Can no one else back me up for Durant?

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tyrantrum: I honestly feel like that Tyrantrum is fine in B+. It hits really friggin hard with CB, but the lack in special bulk really cuts down on would-be switch-in opportunities. I honestly feel that the DD set is awful. It has a similar problem as it did in XY in that it doesn't get enough Speed to be effective vs. offense. That said, I do think Rock Polish is an option as Outrage gives Tyrant a good power option that it didn't have before, and +2 Speed allows it to outspeed everything with Adamant, meaning it doesn't miss the power from DD quite as much. Still, it's a bit hard to set up due to its suspect defensive typing and weakness to Mach Punch (Lee isn't super common anymore, but it's still a thing) Tyrant is certainly a threat, but the addition of Pangoro, a suspect defensive typing, and lackluster Special Defense hold Tyrantrum back from the A ranks imo.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Arguable, but I'd bump Dragalge up to S Rank, mostly because it defines the metagame extremely hard, thanks to its colossal damage, good defensive typing (i'd go as far as calling it excellent, but it could be better indeed), not taking a mega slot, pairing up ridiculously well with other threats such as shark, dino and fire berd and having a decent amount of supporting options for the more stall-leaning players (which includes toxic spikes, dragon tail and haze). non specs offensive sets can also lure stuff on a daily basis, even against more experienced players.

Food for thought which I'm not going to develop much: Hitmontop up to B (checks Shark and Pangoro very well, spins and spreads Toxic) and Escavalier up to A+ (never thought I'd ever make this nomination, but that Pokemon is a literal god and savior in this metagame, and while it does look one dimensional, it has some sikrit sets which people should find anytime soon)

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Arguable, but I'd bump Dragalge up to S Rank, mostly because it defines the metagame extremely hard, thanks to its colossal damage, good defensive typing (i'd go as far as calling it excellent, but it could be better indeed), not taking a mega slot, pairing up ridiculously well with other threats such as shark, dino and fire berd and having a decent amount of supporting options for the more stall-leaning players (which includes toxic spikes, dragon tail and haze). non specs offensive sets can also lure stuff on a daily basis, even against more experienced players.

Food for thought which I'm not going to develop much: Hitmontop up to B (checks Shark and Pangoro very well, spins and spreads Toxic) and Escavalier up to A+ (never thought I'd ever make this nomination, but that Pokemon is a literal god and savior in this metagame, and while it does look one dimensional, it has some sikrit sets which people should find anytime soon)
By sikrit sets do you mean rest talk swords dance? :o
But yeah, I certainly agree with all the noms, Hitmontop got significantly better in ORAS and Escavalier is just as solid as it was in XY, and probably better.

Tbh you can run 252 speed 120 attack and 132 sp def on the band set and avoidnthe 2hko from scarf molt and its 8% chance with m pidgeot, you dont lose the important 2h and 3hkoes you need and you live one of aromatisse monnblast an you can 2hko with iron head.

Also if you assume that theres rocks on Tyrantrums side its fair to assume theres on the other side too so you can bring tyrantrum ofter moltres kills and kill it or force the switch which means it ll take rocks dmg (applies for pidgeot too).

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Tbh you can run 252 speed 120 attack and 132 sp def on the band set and avoidnthe 2hko from scarf molt and its 8% chance with m pidgeot, you dont lose the important 2h and 3hkoes you need and you live one of aromatisse monnblast an you can 2hko with iron head.
I think it says a lot about Tyrantrum already when it needs additional defensive investment (that detracts from its power) to check the birds and has to resort to a very suboptimal coverage move just to beat one of its checks that it should already beat (max Attack CB Stone Edge 2HKOes Aromatisse anyway).

I mean Tyrantrum got better as an SR setter that checks birds, but even then it isn't too great at that job and otherwise doesn't warrant much use over the bulkier (stats and typing wise) Druddigon, which at least has Sucker Punch to defend itself from faster Pokemon.

I think it says a lot about Tyrantrum already when it needs additional defensive investment (that detracts from its power) to check the birds and has to resort to a very suboptimal coverage move just to beat one of its checks that it should already beat (max Attack CB Stone Edge 2HKOes Aromatisse anyway).

I mean Tyrantrum got better as an SR setter that checks birds, but even then it isn't too great at that job and otherwise doesn't warrant much use over the bulkier (stats and typing wise) Druddigon, which at least has Sucker Punch to defend itself from faster Pokemon.
Hmm i think you didnt get my point. I completely agree with you that having to invest on resisted hits sucks and is not what you want in a check. As a SR setter Drud is better i agree, but tyrantrum has its pros too over drud

1) its speeds lets it outspeed many mons that drud cant like pangoro, exploud, 52 hp slurpuff,
2) while the spread i gave lowers attack by a bit, it lets it check in a proper manner what it needs to check or force the switch which means something else is taking a big hit or the opponent lets die M bird/Moltres.
3) iron head isnt even cosidered standard on tyrantrum i know, because its not very good on it but tyrant can lure in fairies that are 2hkoed on the switch or cant 1hko Ty
4) Scarf tyrantrum isnt taking two hits from M pidgeot since it can come in and outspeed it

Maybe stone edge 2hkoes aromatisse but aromatusse can 1hko if you dint invest in sp defenses and also theres the shaky accuracy of stone edge too. I know you dont like to take that into account but havint to depend on luck to kill whst you need to is just too risky imo. Same goes for moltres 70 acc hurricane, good luck trying to spam that.

120 evs + adamant+CB 2hkoes almost 95 % of what 252 does but it allows it to do its job better.

As you can see im not even suggesting a move up or down, i was just pointing that you can run custom spreads to make it do its job better, after all isnt innovation and the surprise element a big factor inwinning too.

Ps: sorry for the bad syntaxis, im on a tablet and its too annoying to type.

This might be a somewhat controversial nomination but I'll make it anyway.
Mega Pidgeot for S rank.
Pidgeot is a fantastic mega to use. It has great Special attack and speed with an absolutely amazing ability when coupled with hurricane and heat wave. The coverage given by fire and flying means that only a handful of Pokemon that are neither rock types or specially defensive are safe from a 2HKO. Also, the 30% confusion rate hurricane has turn a game to be in your favour. I don't know how many times I have been saved thanks to a hurricane dealt confusion. A few other nice things about Pidgeot are its ability to heal itself with roost, keep momentum with u-turn, and be immune to ghost. It has a lot of competition with Moltres, who hits harder with a life orb and can be faster thanks to the ability to hold a choice scarf. However, there are a few reasons to use mega Pidgeot over Moltres. Base 121 speed means that you don't need a scarf to outspeed Durant, unboosted mega Sharpedo, Delphox, and the Musketeers while no guard means that hurricane can never miss, which is a big problem for Moltres. They each have their pros and cons, but they are both fantastic. Even though it may not be as metagame defining as Mega Sharpedo it is still a definite force to be reckoned with and should never be underestimated.

I'm going to be straight here, i can hardly see M-Pidgeot in the S Rank.
To be honest, Pidgeot is a great mon, but it has a couple of big flaws preventing him from getting any higher.
First, Pidgeot is easy to wall, it has next to no unpredictable fillers and has only 1 set.
Second, Pidgeot has an okay coverage, but it's not good enough to break through some pokemons that are even touched by its coverage move, like SpDef Registeel.
Lastly, as i'm sure you all know, Pidgeot costs a mega slot, and even if this arguement is less of a thing in RU, it's still important to mention it. For example, would you run LO Sharp & M-Pidgeot when your team isn't reduced if you choose ScarfTres with Mega Shark. Other cases are noticeable.

Overall, Pidgeot is far from being bad, it's very good. But S Rank? Eeeeh, no.

Yeah, Mega Pidgeot is fine where it is.

The main issue with it is that you can get the same coverage with ScarfTres, and still use Mega Sceptile or Mega Sharpedo.

And while Pidgeot isn't choice-locked, that doesn't really matter since Pidgeot should be switching out anyway after it attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)