Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi?

hellpowna

beware of coco
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The most universal topic of debate in the contemporary football world is about who the better footballer is between Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Sport thrives on rivalries, and it is this one between the spearheads of Barcelona and Real Madrid that has defined the last decade in footballing circles.

When the inevitable question was once posed to Ronaldo himself, he had said, “You cannot compare a Ferrari with a Porsche because it's a different engine. You cannot compare them. He does the best things for Barcelona, I do the best things for Madrid.”

Whatever the man may say, we will make a comparison anyway. Messi exerts more influence on a match, playing more around the cente of the pitch than Ronaldo and bringing in more of his team-mates into attacks. Ronaldo is more comfortable taking solo runs on the wide sides, and he is much better as a finisher than the Argentine. Also, the Portuguese has at times been accused of being a ‘flat track bully’, effective in the lesser matches but disappearing when it really matters.

Ronaldo is the more athletic of the two, and is visibly more professional about taking care of himself. Messi’s balance is second to none, but because of his small size he can be knocked off the ball by more imposing opponents. He, however, seldom executes touches that are cute but ineffectual, something Ronaldo is guilty of sometimes.

Im for Ronaldo. Power, pace, edge-of-the-seat adrenaline, football box office. He’s George Best, without the benders. Messi is a beautiful footballer, with balance and mesmerising dribbling skills… but he’s the second best footballer in the world. I like the edge between them, too. It makes for ‘anything you can do, I can do better’ football at its finest.

Who's the best for you?

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Ronaldo, hands down. He may not be as professional (on the field) as Messi, but then again, professionalism may win hearts but it doesn't win games. He's taller, stronger and much harder to stop while Messi can be relatively easily man marked out of a game although that might be partly because he operates more centrally than Ronaldo. Messi's a better playmaker but Ronaldo's passing isn't too shabby either and his superior physical attributes ultimately make him a more complete attacker. Myzozoa Suarez? Really? Are you secretly a butthurt scouser? Or did I miss the sarcasm?

ronaldo's best statistical season (2011-12), where he scored 60 goals in all competitions, was not only beaten by messi's 73 goals in the same season, it was matched the next season as well (messi hit exactly 60). ronaldo has never gotten over 60 since (he might this season, though). so as great of a goalscorer than ronaldo is, he has never hit the heights that messi has...

as for other aspects of the game, ronaldo has an obvious physical advantage: height, speed, strength.. that combination is unmatched by any other player in the world. his heading ability is one of the deadliest in world football as well. but messi has the advantage in things that make his team better. his passing, his assists, his through balls, his one on one take-ons, he's been the best in the world in that for the past 5 years. and if you want to doubt me: here is the proof:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/lionel-messi-is-impossible/

ronaldo may be the best player in the world RIGHT NOW, but messi will, without any doubt in my mind, be better when its all said and done.

messi at his peak was better than ronaldo in his current form (which i believe to be his peak) imo, and ronaldo in his current form is better than messi in his current form.

i think messi will come back tho and will be better than ronaldo next season, and that messi will have had the better peak than ronaldo

we are truly fortunate to live in an era where we get to see the rise and fall of these two players, both of whom will go down as some of the best in history imo

You just wait until Super Mario is done with all of you..

Edit: My take on all of this? It's way too fucking early to be having this kind of convo, but if they all suddenly retired by midnight, then Messi. Right now though CR7 deserves the Balon D'or and anyone else winning it is a farce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)