Resource Hidden Gems in LC

Thanks Fiend Hound for the usage statistics. Anyway, on with the gem.
Better sets/ev spreads for karrablast are much appreciated.
Karrablast @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
Level: 5
EVs: 116 HP / 236 Atk / 76 Def / 36 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Drill Run
Karrablast is a pretty underrated poke in LC since there are so many terrifying birds in LC. First of all, Karrablast has the ability no guard, which is amazing since megahorn, its strongest STAB move, has low accuracy. Now with no guard, you don't have to worry about missing. There are multiple downsides with karrablast though. Its movepool is very lackluster. Even though it has access to the powerful knock off, it doesn't get that much coverage. Pursuit is very nice on karrablast while suspecting a switch and dealing a lot of extra damage. Drill run is also really handy if u predict a magnemite or other steel types that want to switch in and tank a megahorn. You could use it for fire types too. The major downside with karrablast is flying types, which almost every LC player has. There are solutions, of course.You can pair up karrablast with drilbur to get up rocks and help spin rocks on your side to protect karrablast, or you could pair this bug up with magnemite for a check and counter to flying types. Karrablast doesn't need a lot of support, just some offensive pressure. Other than those major downsides, karrablast is a beast with 17 attack(max evs,jolly nature) or 18 attack(max evs,adamant nature). Megahorn is going to do a CRAZY amount of damage! In this set, I put 14 speed on scarf karrabalst so it outspeeds ALL non-scarfers so karrablast can have an easier time late-game sweeping. An eviolite set is viable, but you'll most likely get severely whittled and get KO'd. With some good teammates that will take out threats or help out karrablast, this little bug will wreck mid-late game.​

greengrappler, I think purloin works better with knock off>foul play which makes it a better support mon, removing items. Also u-turn> protect because it always forces switches after you encore something and protect is kinda useless. Finally eviolite or BJ is better than sash either for added bulk or recovery.

Eren Yeagar, although trubbish is low in overall usage, in the 1760 stats (top of the ladder) it's #21 in usage showing it does get recognition in the high levels of play.

VersatileMuffin, although stockpile numel seems cool, it's held back by a 4x weakness to water meaning even boosted, water moves still do loads of damage and it has no recovery. I'd rather run ResTalk with eviolite for recovery but even then the 4x weakness holds in back. Better stockpile sweepers would be shellos or lileep.
I mentioned that I replaced the item with 'violite, you might have just skipped over it. I keep protect so that I can actually see what they are going to use. (Or the ever annoying encoring into fake out XD)

Aerow

rebel
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Slugma @ Eviolite / Light Clay
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Def / 36 SpA / 116 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Fire Blast / Reflect / Light Screen
- Earth Power / Reflect / Light Screen
- Recover / Reflect / Light Screen
- Memento

First of all, Slugma is by no means a great Pokemon, but it does have some niches. While not extremely bulky or strong, Slugma is still a decent Pokemon thanks to its really cool movepool, where it has access to Memento, Recover and Dual Screens. 196 Defense and 116 Special Defense EVs are used to hit Eviolite numbers, 14 and 12 respectively with a Bold nature. 116 HP EVs are used to further bolster mixed bulk, with the remaining EVs used in Special Attack and Speed to improve both stats by 1 point. When it comes to Ability, Slugma has 3 options. However, Flame Body is undoubtedly the best one, since it has a 30% chance of burning a opponent making contact. Fire Blast hits hard thanks to 70 Special Attack, and is used to OHKO Eviolite Pawniard after Stealth Rock, as well as being a powerful Fire-type STAB move in general. Slugma also OHKOes Foongus with Eviolite knocked off, as well as outspeeding it. Earth Power is for coverage. Recover is a reliable and instant recovery move, and Slugma is also a great user of Memento. In contrast to Cottonee (and previously Misdreavus), Slugma can use Memento without being worried about Pawniard, as Fire Blast allows it to OHKO Eviolite Pawniard after Stealth Rock, and very few people will ever switch Pawniard in against Slugma. Reflect and Light Screen can also be used, since Slugma is a okay slow Dual Screener.

Last edited:

Seedot @ Eviolite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 196 HP / 116 Def / 80 SpD / 116 Spe
Impish Nature
- Solar Beam
- Leech Seed
- Defog
- Explosion

This is less a good pokemon people don't notice and more trying to give a pokemon with awful stats a niche. Seedot is the only chlorophyll user that can clear hazards, so it could play a role as a support weather mon. The speed EV's let it hit 22 speed in sun, so it can outspeed anything unboosted. Its bulk is pretty good, hitting 23 health, 21 defense and 15 sp. defense (factoring in the boost from eviolite). Solar Beam is just a strong STAB, even if Seedot has only 8 sp. attack with this spread. Leech seed is leech seed with all its usual benefits. Defog is what makes Seedot special, and it can clear hazards pretty easily as it will go ahead of anything without a boost. Explosion is when you're about to die or sun is about to wear off, letting you do large amount of finishing damage while giving a chance to send in your Vulpix or Sunny Day user while the opponent may have just lost a mon or been badly damaged. Too bad Fletch doesn't give a shit about any of this I just said and will just murder Seedot without mercy so I guess a good teammate would be a fletch counter with fire attacks??? (fire fang tyrunt go)

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Piplup @ Eviolite / Berry Juice
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Def / 148 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Piplup is an adorable little bird with a useful niche. It is one of the only Defoggers without a Stealth Rock weakness while being able to use Stealth Rock itself. A lack of recovery makes it less viable than it could be, unfortunately, so Berry Juice may be a preferable choice to Eviolite to provide some needed healing. However, the above set will provide 23/24/21 Defenses with Eviolite, which allows it to take hits quite well.

Scald allows Pip to cripple opponents like Pawniard and Mienfoo, and it actually hits fairly hard off 12 Special Attack. Ice Beam is for hurting switch ins such as Cottonee and Foongus while also avoiding being set-up bait for Fletchling.

While its low speed and lack of recovery are a disappointment, Piplup is totally cute and has access to Stealth Rock (somehow), and Defog, meaning it can manage entry hazards well.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've used this set some and found it quite fun to play around with:

Bulbasaur @ Eviolite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 236 HP / 156 SpA / 76 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Fire] / Sludge Bomb

Only two pokemon in LC get Knock Off and Sleep Powder together ever since Tangela got banned: Bulbasaur and Bellsprout. Only one of those two can use a bulky set successfully. Those two moves, along with some good resistances, make it a pretty cool mon to play around with imo. It's a pretty decent utility check to a number of things.

I'm not the best at making original sets for LC since I'm not the quickest at figuring out the EVs and dmg calcs etc for this tier. So I wouldn't be surprised if these EVs could be improved upon. But the general idea is still fun to play around with.

Back when I started toying around with this, Sun wasn't all that common, but nowadays maybe Chlorophyll would be better if that's still legal with Knock Off (I think it is). The EVs above were made to work with Hidden Power Ice to catch several things on the switch tho Fire (which might need slightly diff EVs to be efficient) or Sludge is probably better now.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Zafina (Snivy) (F) @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 156 Def / 76 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Glare
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Synthesis

Snivy is a D Ranker i've fallen in love with for it's access to Glare. This move gives it an edge against defensive grass pokemon's biggest antagonists. Vullaby and Enemy Grass Types. Utilizing Glare to 100% paralyze any and almost all switchins (only Limber + Elec types are safe) Are Paralyzed. Taunt ensures they arent doing anything sly to you. With Snivy being a Grass Type it's not affect by Powders so it's safe to switch into Foongus using Spore, albeit...

0 SpA Foongus Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Snivy: 14-18 (66.6 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Foongus Clear Smog vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Snivy: 8-12 (38 - 57.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

This is a dangerous trade but you get to nerf Foongus with paralysis.

76 Atk Vullaby Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Snivy: 14-20 (66.6 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Another dangerous 50-50 to take but once again you're paralyzing a threat and running off.

Defensive EVs are not optimal. I did have a conversation with dsr95 about changing to HP / Atk EVs but i'm too used to my spread to change. Hopefully we get Contrary soon so we can spam Leaf Storm YAAAS. Until then my set remains a lovely alternative to the Screens set.

ONE MORE THING. Glare + Torment + Synthesis is a lulzy way to play with a supereffective hit. But i've not found 4th move to really get around things. Maybe Protect or Sub to stall out but I'm still working out the kinks.

Last edited:
I know everybody's probably going to start yelling at me for such a stupid idea... But here it is anyway.
Seedot @ Eviolite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Defog
- Giga Drain
- Toxic/Protect

Seedot is a strange little acorn. So strange, that it can learn Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, and even DEFOG. In fact, it's the only grass-type Poke WITH Defog in LC. This Seedot plays more of a defensive role. It can use Leech Seed to whittle down opponents and take their HP. It can use Defog to remove hazards on the field. It can use Giga Drain as an offensive move so that it isn't completely Taunt bait. And finally, it can use Toxic to whittle down opponents even more, or use Protect to scout for attacks. The given EVs allow it to tank a lot of physical attacks with relative ease.

I do not play Little Cup much but Seedot is just something strange I wanted to point out. It's probably heavily outclassed, but hey, it's unique.

damn how long has it been since I've posted in LC :o

OK, so there's a pokemon that I've been using that nobody else uses but I think it's cool so yeah .-.

sss (Dratini) @ Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 244 Atk / 68 SpD / 196 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail
- Fire Blast

WAIT WAIT WAIT, I know what you're thinking, "Dratini, LO, No Dragon Dance, wtf is this". However, I personally believe that Dratini kinda sucks as a DDer and is much better at a wallbreaking role. This is because not only of the competition with Axew, lack of set-up opportunities with Life Orb, weak shit + still bad bulk with Eviolite, 4MSS with Outrage, Dragon Claw smh GF, Extremespeed, Iron Tail, and Fire Blast, but also because, as we all know, Dragon typing is not what it used to be, and that's why most Dragons suck :/

However, I like Dratini bc it has a very strong Outrage, ways to kill Steels and Fairies, and (probably the reason to use it over Axew), priority and Shed Skin, both which are pretty great.

I know what you're thinking, "Dratini is weak sauce, sux imo". Based Calc disagrees

244+ Atk Life Orb Dratini Outrage vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 12-16 (46.1 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Add in a Knock Off, not that too hard to pull off, right?

244+ Atk Life Orb Dratini Outrage vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Porygon: 19-23 (73 - 88.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

O_o and that's the thing with 26/16 bulk.

Neither Spritzee, Snubbull, nor Cottonee will win if they switch in on a move that's not Outrage (and let's be honest, it's not that hard to predict :/)

244+ Atk Life Orb Dratini Extreme Speed vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 6-8 (22.2 - 29.6%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Life Orb Dratini Fire Blast vs. 212 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Spritzee: 6-8 (22.2 - 29.6%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
244+ Atk Life Orb Dratini Iron Tail vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 13-18 (48.1 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So yeah, with SR, unless Iron Tail gets a REALLY low roll or misses, Spritzee won't win.

-1 244+ Atk Life Orb Dratini Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 116 Def Snubbull: 6-9 (27.2 - 40.9%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Life Orb Dratini Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 196 SpD Snubbull: 9-12 (40.9 - 54.5%) -- 59.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
-1 244+ Atk Life Orb Dratini Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 116 Def Snubbull: 16-21 (72.7 - 95.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Only way Snubbull wins is if Fire Blast gets a high roll, activates BJ, and Iron Tail doesn't KO. If ExtremeSpeed or Iron Tail predict or any chip damage, RIP Bull

244+ Atk Life Orb Dratini Extreme Speed vs. 116 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Cottonee: 6-8 (27.2 - 36.3%) -- 17.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Life Orb Dratini Fire Blast vs. 116 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Cottonee: 13-16 (59 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
244+ Atk Life Orb Dratini Iron Tail vs. 116 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Cottonee: 13-18 (59 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

\o/

btw Tini outspeeds all of them, letting it get a second hit in.

Sorry if any of the spreads are wrong, too lazy to look them up.

And I guess I'll add Steels while I'm at it:

0 SpA Life Orb Dratini Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 16-21 (76.1 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

You'll have to predict, which kinda sucks, but whatever, not insta-win for Pawn, esp if chip damage

0 SpA Life Orb Dratini Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 21-26 (110.5 - 136.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If no Sturdy, gg. If Fast Mag, speed tie. It can even tank a Flash Cannon from Scarfed Versions.

So yeah, there you go

Once those 5 mons (or other Steel/Fairies) are dead, you can start Outraging, which does alot to p. much everything lol. But, the main reason to use Dratini over Axew is ExtremeSpeed choo choo, which is really great, I can say from experience. It just revenge kills so many things oml. The problem I've had with Axew is that once it kills something, it just dies to the next thing. However, Dratini can revenge kill, along with being a wallbreaker, which is always great. And once it revenge-kills something, it still has the Outrage nuke.

So yeah, I'm p. tired, and have said what I wanted to say. So, wynaut try Dratini. It's cool .-. seriously tho DD is p bad imo

Anthiese

formerly Jac
YALL READY FOR THIS

Pirch (Helioptile) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 84 HP / 12 Def / 188 SpA / 12 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Glare
- Parabolic Charge
- U-turn
- Protect / Surf

Dry Skin = Free Water Switchins

-Glare is 100% Acc and normal type aka BUSTED because paralyzing Ground Type switchins

-Parabolic Charge is a kinda meh move but it gives you HP back which is important

-U-Turn is scouting and also since Electric you'll attract grounds to absorb dem Elec Attacks.

-Protect is a lazy option slapped on for scouts. Imo use Surf for switchins for Grounds.

EVs are to hit 17 Speed after Timid Boost. Push up defenses by +1 and slap on Eviolite. Yay some bulk :U Not a whole lot.

dis replay showcases it well~

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-155150144

It's puttin in werk in this match.

Yes im hyping Glare. It's amazing. This set is really gimmicky though. Use at your own risk.

#NORMALTWAVE #PARASTARE #DATLOOK

Last edited:
(M) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Atk / 76 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb / Bullet Seed
- Acrobatics

This is a set that can work really well late-game if Fletchling is gone, the concept is easy: Set up with Swords Dance while knowing that your Berry Juice will activate after receiving a hit, get your speed doubled by Unburden and sweep. After a Swords Dance Treecko is able to hit 30 in Attack which causes it to OHKO most of the metagame with its coverage moves, Drain Punch deals with Steel-types like Pawniard that can be a problem, Seed Bomb (or Bullet Seed) as STAB and Acrobatics to deal with Grass- and Fighting-types, the only Pokémon that can revenge it are Fletchling, Vullaby and Porygon (but the latter gets 2hkoed by +2 Drain Punch), credits to Svalkenaeres that used this and inspired me. Here are some calcs:

+2 236+ Atk Treecko Drain Punch vs. 84 HP / 188 Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 12-16 (54.5 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 236+ Atk Treecko Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 22-28 (104.7 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 236+ Atk Treecko Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Gastly: 23-28 (121 - 147.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 236+ Atk Treecko Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 22-28 (88 - 112%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+2 236+ Atk Treecko Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 76 HP / 76+ Def Eviolite Timburr: 22-28 (88 - 112%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
(M) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Atk / 76 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb / Bullet Seed
- Acrobatics

This is a set that can work really well late-game if Fletchling is gone, the concept is easy: Set up with Swords Dance while knowing that your Berry Juice will activate after receiving a hit, get your speed doubled by Unburden and sweep. After a Swords Dance Treecko is able to hit 30 in Attack which causes it to OHKO most of the metagame with its coverage moves, Drain Punch deals with Steel-types like Pawniard that can be a problem, Seed Bomb (or Bullet Seed) as STAB and Acrobatics to deal with Grass- and Fighting-types, the only Pokémon that can revenge it are Fletchling, Vullaby and Porygon (but the latter gets 2hkoed by +2 Drain Punch), credits to Svalkenaeres that used this and inspired me. Here are some calcs:

+2 236+ Atk Treecko Drain Punch vs. 84 HP / 188 Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 12-16 (54.5 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 236+ Atk Treecko Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 22-28 (104.7 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 236+ Atk Treecko Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Gastly: 23-28 (121 - 147.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 236+ Atk Treecko Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 22-28 (88 - 112%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+2 236+ Atk Treecko Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 76 HP / 76+ Def Eviolite Timburr: 22-28 (88 - 112%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
Wouldn't Drain Punch and Seed Bomb be illegal with Unburden? Those moves are Gen V Tutor moves, and Unburden can't be bred onto Treecko that gen if I recall.

Wouldn't Drain Punch and Seed Bomb be illegal with Unburden? Those moves are Gen V Tutor moves, and Unburden can't be bred onto Treecko that gen if I recall.
I don't recall that Unburden can be bred into Treecko last gen but the combination is allowed on PS!:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
I don't recall that Unburden can be bred into Treecko last gen but the combination is allowed on PS!:

I think it's illegal at Level 5 because Treecko is only available at LV 10 with Unburden in Gen V. Some illegal combinations can slip by in the server though.

Drifloon @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 196 Atk / 112 SpA / 200 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Endure
- Knock Off / Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Acrobatics
Drifloon is a very overshadowed pokemon. Since misdreavus was banned lately in LC, more ghost types had time to shine(mostly gastly). But, even in this post-missy era, I still can't see drifloon used. I can see why barely anyone uses it since its main set is kind of risky and takes some team support. Also, since you can't get flying gens in XY and pokebank can't trade items, drifloon lost its best set in BW and now it's less useful, but it can still shine with the weakness policy.

If you don't know, weakness policy is a brand new item in XY that makes your attack stats raise sharply(+2). Since drifloon does have a lot of common weaknesses, you can use this set to your advantage and live a hit with endure and get that weakness policy boost and unburdan boost, which doubles its speed once it loses an item and late-game sweep. Acrobatics is a great STAB flying move that hits very hard with 110 base power once drifloon loses its weakness policy. Hidden power fighting is also great for pawniard, one of the biggest threats in LC. Knock off and baton pass are your choice. Knock off can do a great number of damage to an incoming switch in or another ghost type. Baton pass is also a decent move for drifloon if you think your drifloon sweep is over and you can pass the weakness policy boosts and let an another poke sweep. Drifloon has a lot of potential if played correctly.

Now with downsides. As I said, you do need some team support for drifloon. It's very nice to have a hazards setter such as dwebble or drilbur to lay up some hazards to get drifloon more OHKOs and help your other team mates to. Another thing is Drifloon is weak to priority. Luckily, fake out and mach punch don't affect it, but the thing you have to worry about is fletchling. You definitely need a fletchling check/counter to deal with it and make drifloon's sweep a reality. Pawniard is also a great partner for drifloon since it can make use of the weakness policy boost if drifloon baton passes to it and covers drifloon very well.

That's all for drifloon. I may implement calcs later, but I don't have much time right now. We'll see.

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi there. :)

Now that Misdreavus is banned from Little Cup, I think there should be a lot of opportunities opened up for new Pokemon to be usable or to at least be brought up or tested. I have a few things that I've been playing with, and I had permission from blarajan to make a new thread on new Pokemon that are worth trying out after the ban of Misdreavus, but after remembering this thread and speaking with Yagura, I've decided to just help breathe life back into his thread here instead, since it serves the same general purpose.

Larvitar @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 116 HP / 164 Atk / 36 Def / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Crunch / Superpower

This is a Pokemon whose typing comes with a handful of defensive liabilities, which makes it very difficult to set up freely in Little Cup. It's also weak to several kinds of priority, which causes additional problems for it even after it has set up successfully. However, its ability to manipulate the game in many cases is largely overlooked. Just being on a team means that if the opponent manages to KO one of Larvitar's teammates with a Flying-type or Fire-type, they will enable a Larvitar sweep. The Guts ability also means that Larvitar loves getting hit by Will-O-Wisp if a Fire-type opts to stay in and burn it in an attempt to neutralize its offensive power. Jolly nature with 188 Speed EVs lets Larvitar hit 21 Speed after a Dragon Dance, which is enough to outpace the entire unboosted tier to wreak havoc. +1 Guts Larvitar while statused hits incredibly hard, OHKOing things like Eviolite Mienfoo. It is not recommended that Facade be used on this set, because statused Facade has 140 Base Power and is super effective on nothing, while STAB Earthquake has 150 Base Power and can actually hit weaknesses. Try this with hazards and steer clear of Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, and this Larvitar set will serve you well if used properly.

Chespin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 228 HP / 28 Atk / 236 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb
- Rock Slide / Rock Tomb

This is a Pokemon I tested at length after it was brought up by Fiend Hound in the main metagame discussion thread as a pure Grass-type and Drilbur answer. After trying out many different sets, this is the best one I discovered; this set gives it a nice bulk of 25/21/21 with Eviolite. It makes a wonderful counter to Drilbur, a solid check to Chinchou and Tirtouga, and a perfect switch-in to Little Cup's most hyped offensive Ghost-type, Gastly, thanks to its Bulletproof ability walling both of its STAB attacks. Chespin can snowball into a monster with the Bulk Up boost it gets when forcing one of these out, beating both Fletchling and Archen down with +1 Rock Slide after tanking their Acrobatics. The combination of Bulk Up and Synthesis allows Chespin to gradually beat down even Pokemon that resist both of its moves such as Pawniard, after it gets that first boost when forcing something out. Rock Slide hits 4 of the 5 types Grass is weak to for super effective damage, and Rock Tomb makes a handy alternative with a bit less power but slightly higher accuracy and a Speed drop to its targets. Spikes is a fun option on Chespin, but if you want to keep it around and let it really put in work, give this set a try and take advantage of the increased usage of Gastly, as well as Drilbur, Tirtouga, and Chinchou, not to mention lesser used things such as Hippopotas. This is far from a gimmick; it actually works and holds its own. I'm now pushing for this to be the standard Chespin set in C&C.

Electrike @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 36 HP / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Switcheroo

Electrike is one of the more fun things I've played around with recently as a Chinchou substitute, and the options here are awesome. It's almost like Choice Scarf Chinchou, but instead of Water-type STAB, it has a strong Fire-type coverage move, Switcheroo, and only one weakness. This makes an excellent switch-in to Magnemite and a solid check to both Fletchling and Archen (also Mantyke, Wailmer, and Doduo in the newly brought out LC UU). Electrike with this spread hits 24 Speed with Choice Scarf, which is faster than every unboosted Pokemon in the metagame as well as a few Choice Scarf users, and it's a great pivot with Volt Switch. Flamethrower destroys Ferroseed in a single hit, a feat that Chinchou cannot pull off, and Hidden Power Grass puts the hurt on Rock/Water Shell Smash sweepers as well as Chinchou and incoming Ground-types. Switcheroo is the wild card of the set, and it allows the player to sacrifice Electrike's immediately boosted Speed to cripple a troublesome enemy and allow Electrike the freedom to switch moves. This thing has not let me down a single time yet in all my testing, and I think it deserves a little attention. I've shared this with Rowan and a few others already, though I've recently altered the EVs to have less bulk in exchange for more Speed and power.

Togepi @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Dazzling Gleam

This is something I tried out in a recent teambuilding session with my tutee Felicette, and I actually got blarajan to try it out not too long ago. After playing RU for a bit lately and noticing barton's Nasty Pass Togetic set there, I wondered if perhaps the same strategy could be applied with Togepi in Little Cup, and here you have it: Nasty Pass Togepi. This set is intentionally made as slow as possible to guarantee that its Baton Pass recipient can get in with the boost without being hit with damage or status before it can make use of its practically doubled Special Attack. The Hustle ability doesn't have a real purpose for Togepi at all, as none of its moves are physical and so the stat alterations from it would never apply; however, it can't make viable use of Super Luck or Serene Grace either, so the least Togepi could do is not give either of these abilities to Trace Porygon, as that would definitely be less than favorable. Wish is also here on the set to help keep Togepi healthy, or a teammate if it would be handy for them. Dazzling Gleam is to keep Togepi from being a sitting duck and actually lets it respond to things that can't really hurt it, such as Mienfoo and Scraggy. When using this, remember to set up on something Togepi can actually tolerate hits from... not Magnemite, not Croagunk, not Flare Blitz Larvesta, etc, because Togepi is bulky enough to get this job done but it will require a little practicality on the player's part as well, if it is to be successful. I've been using Life Orb Abra as a recipient for this and it hits obscenely hard, like you wouldn't believe. If you're up to try something new, try this combination with hazards and Knock Off support.

+2 236 SpA Life Orb Abra Psychic vs. 236 HP / 76+ SpD Eviolite Porygon: 21-27 (80.7 - 103.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Anyway, I'll be testing more things soon. I look forward to seeing what other hidden gems people may have discovered or have been trying out lately since Misdreavus was kicked out. :)

Last edited:

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love

Togepi @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Dazzling Gleam

This is something I tried out in a recent teambuilding session with my tutee Felicette, and I actually got blarajan to try it out not too long ago. After playing RU for a bit lately and noticing barton's Nasty Pass Togetic set there, I wondered if perhaps the same strategy could be applied with Togepi in Little Cup, and here you have it: Nasty Pass Togepi. This set is intentionally made as slow as possible to guarantee that its Baton Pass recipient can get in with the boost without being hit with damage or status before it can make use of its practically doubled Special Attack. The Hustle ability doesn't have a real purpose for Togepi at all, as none of its moves are physical and so the stat alterations from it would never apply; however, it can't make viable use of Super Luck or Serene Grace either, so the least Togepi could do is not give either of these abilities to Trace Porygon, as that would definitely be less than favorable. Wish is also here on the set to help keep Togepi healthy, or a teammate if it would be handy for them. Dazzling Gleam is to keep Togepi from being a sitting duck and actually lets it respond to things that can't really hurt it, such as Mienfoo and Scraggy. When using this, remember to set up on something Togepi can actually tolerate hits from... not Magnemite, not Croagunk, not Flare Blitz Larvesta, etc, because Togepi is bulky enough to get this job done but it will require a little practicality on the player's part as well, if it is to be successful. I've been using Life Orb Abra as a recipient for this and it hits obscenely hard, like you wouldn't believe. If you're up to try something new, try this combination with hazards and Knock Off support.

+2 236 SpA Life Orb Abra Psychic vs. 236 HP / 76+ SpD Eviolite Porygon: 21-27 (80.7 - 103.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Anyway, I'll be testing more things soon. I look forward to seeing what other hidden gems people may have discovered or have been trying out lately since Misdreavus was kicked out. :)
Yeah I've tried nastypass togepi, it's a freaking monster. DD Larvitar i had only used last gen, so I'll need to try that again this gen. On a different note:

Staryu @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic / Hidden Power [Fire] / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Ground]

I know that staryu as a mon has gotten more popular lately, but most sets are bulky with scald and i think that's a terrible way to run staryu so I came up with this. Life Orb spin staryu works very simply. Find a time early game to get this thing switched in, such as on some obvious stealth rocks, after a death, or something else, and fire off one of your strong coverage moves. Then lategame, after hazards are setup, you can spin on their fear of getting smacked by a hydro pump or ice beam. Works like a charm, and staryu is a fantastic offensive spinner. This thing 2HKOs almost the whole meta, especially after rocks. staryu also hits 19 speed which is super cool in this meta.

Other fun possible staryu set could be a gravity set :] I'll have to try it though

Yeah I've tried nastypass togepi, it's a freaking monster. DD Larvitar i had only used last gen, so I'll need to try that again this gen. On a different note:

Staryu @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic / Hidden Power [Fire] / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Ground]

I know that staryu as a mon has gotten more popular lately, but most sets are bulky with scald and i think that's a terrible way to run staryu so I came up with this. Life Orb spin staryu works very simply. Find a time early game to get this thing switched in, such as on some obvious stealth rocks, after a death, or something else, and fire off one of your strong coverage moves. Then lategame, after hazards are setup, you can spin on their fear of getting smacked by a hydro pump or ice beam. Works like a charm, and staryu is a fantastic offensive spinner. This thing 2HKOs almost the whole meta, especially after rocks. staryu also hits 19 speed which is super cool in this meta.

Other fun possible staryu set could be a gravity set :] I'll have to try it though
Why not Analytic if your running LO Staryu? iirc Analytic boost kicks in if your opponent switches in something while you go for an attacking move not just if you move last. Unless there is some illegal combo I'm unaware of or if they changed the Analytic mechanics this gen but it should be a better ability on an offensive Staryu set

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Why not Analytic if your running LO Staryu? iirc Analytic boost kicks in if your opponent switches in something while you go for an attacking move not just if you move last. Unless there is some illegal combo I'm unaware of or if they changed the Analytic mechanics this gen but it should be a better ability on an offensive Staryu set
Analytic is illegal with rapid spin/hydro pump :#

I've tried some things recently.

Teddiursa @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Awesome cleaner and really good wallbreaker. I play this thing with cottonee for a Memento. With a SD, I can OHKO at least 90% of the meta.
A slow U-Turn/Volt Switch is great too, it allows to activate his orb (He can SD on things like Foon), like Chinchou BJ. He can take one priority, but he stay frail.
Really an amazing glass cannon.

Azurill @ Eviolite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Atk / 116 Def
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Azurill is not that bad. Bulky RestTalk Azurill seems pretty shit, but I obtain really good results with it.
Some calcs :

196+ Atk Huge Power Azurill Return vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 13-16 (61.9 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Mienfoo Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Eviolite Azurill: 7-10 (29.1 - 41.6%) -- 99% chance to 3HKO

This set is a really good check to Cottonee, for exemple. Chinchou is beaten too. A good surprise.

EVs: 156 Def / 76 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Glare
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Synthesis

Snivy is a D Ranker i've fallen in love with for it's access to Glare. This move gives it an edge against defensive grass pokemon's biggest antagonists. Vullaby and Enemy Grass Types. Utilizing Glare to 100% paralyze any and almost all switchins (only Limber + Elec types are safe) Are Paralyzed. Taunt ensures they arent doing anything sly to you. With Snivy being a Grass Type it's not affect by Powders so it's safe to switch into Foongus using Spore, albeit...
I just started playing LC, but I feel like with the event coming out, snivy might move up a bit in viability.

Snivy @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Glare/Taunt/HP
- Giga Drain/HP

I just started playing LC, but I feel like with the event coming out, snivy might move up a bit in viability.

Snivy @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
EVs: 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Glare/Taunt/HP
- Giga Drain/HP
You could even slash Synthesis over Giga Drain, and hold an Eviolite.

btw I'm doing researches on Snivy HP Flying (HP Flying allows Snivy to run 17 spd). Fly isn't a really bad coverage, even if it's worse than Ground, Fire or Rock.
It's good for stuff like foon, the amazing frog, and others disgusting things.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
Ok...?

This set was made like when Contrary was a fleeting dream on Snivy...

Nonetheless I guess that works? Just I rather go with a safer HP Option (like Fire / Rock / Ground which kinda nails most if not all of ur switchins which would be enemy grass types and steels and birds tryna stuff the free leaf storm) and lose 2 points of speed. With Sticky Web and Glare on Switchins i can get away with having to run 15 Speed. Plus you can always opt to run 15 Speed on your own and have a few extra EVs to work with. You only need 172 to hit that. Leaving you with 236 + 100 to toss in offenses. Of course you'll need to be + Speed to hit 15.

I guess HP Fly has something to beat Fighting types and it's nice ot stay at 17 but you would have to risk the annoyance with Steels like Ferroseed and PAwniard. I rather stick to Fire and 2HKO / OHKO them.

EVs: 80 Atk / 240 SpA / 180 Spe
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare

Hello. A lot of ghost mons are, despite of misdrea's ban, always overshadowed by others mons such as Pumpkaboo, Gastly, Drifloon and Honedge, and I juste want to test him ! Now I want present you Shuppet, the cutest LC mon ever made (with spinarak and others things c: ).

One of my favorite mons. This is such an underrated mon. Shuppet has good offensive stats, and a really, really intesting movepools. It's a really interesting mixed sweeper. The Scarf set is classical.

Shuppet @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 236 Spe
Mild Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Knock Off
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick / Destiny Bond / Thunderbolt

Knock Off is just one of the reasons who make him not totally outclassed by gastly. Also he has twave, and a lot of great fillers;
He can be really a pain if you adv underrate him. He is a good revenge killer and a decent finisher. However, Pawn is a real threat for him. Diglett/Bulky Fighting can be some very useful teammates for him.

More gimmick now, the Life Orber under sweb :

Shuppet @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 236 Spe
Mild Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sucker Punch / Shadow Sneak
- Dazzling Gleam / Psychic
- Thunder

252+ SpA Life Orb Shuppet Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 16-21 (76.1 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Shuppet Thunder vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Staryu: 21-26 (100 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Shuppet Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gastly: 23-29 (121 - 152.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Shuppet Thunder vs. 196 HP / 196+ SpD Tentacool: 18-23 (78.2 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Shuppet is really interesting under sweb, because of a lot of things. First, it's a ghost, so rapid spin is impossible. Second, this pokémon is very slow but he has an interesting coverage, he is quite powerful and he has priorities. And finally, he can beat mons who are usually problematics for swebs like Staryu, Scarf Gastly (and even LO Gastly without sub), Defensive Vullaby (Only with SR) ans some others shitty things that make the sweep harder.
Shadow Ball is the main STAB, Sucker punch it's a priority who allows him to deal with Gastly and even Pumpkaboo/Honedge if they are hurt.
Shadow Sneak allows to pass Subs, but you need SR too for the kill. Sucker punch doesn't need SR, but can't pass Subs Gastly. Dazzling Gleam / Psychic are useful for the coverage (Dazzling Gleam is better but if you have troubles with Croagunk and Foongus, Psychic is also decent).
Thunder is really powerful and can OHKO bulky staryu without SR. Max Spdef Tentacool has also a lot of problems, and has 75% to be OHKOed after SRs.
Really interesting set.

Then, the Calm Mind under sweb :

Shuppet @ Berry Juice
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 16 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt / Substitute

The more gimmick, but he stays interesting. Place some Calm Mind is hard, but some mons are free set-up for him, especially Foongus, but Spritzee without CM too, Trubbish ... This is probably not that difficult. Shadow Ball + Dazzling Gleam for coverage. Thunderbolt is a filler, but you can put Sub instead of in order to bypass Pawn's SP and 2HKO the bulky set after 2 CM. HP Fighting is probably playable but you lose one point in spe atk, who can be risky, and it should be played with sub, so it's really weird for me.

And finally, the Trick Room Lead.

Shuppet @ Focus Sash
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 244 HP / 236 Atk / 12 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Sneak
- Knock Off / Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Destiny Bond

Cool suicide lead. Put the Trick Room, and then DBond or make another support move.
Simple and cool.

Anothers miscelleanous :

-I don't think the physical set is very good because badly is main physical STAB is Shadow Sneak who is really weak. His movepool physcial contains Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Gunk Shot, Return, and even Phantom Force who is a bad STAB. His physical movepool isn't very rich, so the Mixed set is always better.

-Cursed Body is also playable in order to block choice locks.

-He can be also played with Hex and Tspikes, but Frillish/Gastly are better most of the time.

-He can make a decent SubDisable under sweb, but Gastly is better.

-He can be played with HP Fight obv, but HP Fire (Ferro) and Ground (Magnemite) are also cools. He has Icy Wind too.

-Pain Split seems funny, but he is really too frail.

I will test some sets in ladder, and maybe in FCL (French Championship League) and I will tell u if it works c: !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)