Other ORAS OU Role Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.
That thread is sort of a project where people post their sets and what they do, how to use them, etc. so newer players can learn about each specific pokemon. This is basically just a list of the best pokemon and the roles they perform and is very basic. The only real difference is that this is for people quickly looking for stuff to put on their teams whilst that is a community thing for people to post good and relevant sets to use on a pokemon and how to use them... Also mine just links the pokemon to their smogon analyses and has pretty sprites.

Btw, I will add all of your suggestions later today (tomorrow for the Americans) I have to do irl stuff. Stay tuned, will add a weather section and a few more sections like defensive and offensive pivots and a suicide lead and support section
Alright, that makes sense.

Some more things
  • Breloom under suicide leads
  • Mandibuzz, Latios, Excadrill and Starmie under hazard removal
  • Galvantula under suicide leads
  • Skarmory under hazard removal
  • Skarmory under SR users
  • Both landorus formes under SR users
  • Landorus-T under choice scarf users
  • Talonflame under priority
That's all I've got for now, will add some later

Other things:

"Assault vest users" (raikou, conkeldurr (?), azumarill, slowbro, tyranitar,amoounguss, tornadus, maybe bisharp and excadrill).
"Wishers" (chansey, alomomola, sylveon (?), clefable).

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Other things:

"Assault vest users" (raikou, conkeldurr (?), azumarill, slowbro, tyranitar,amoounguss, tornadus, maybe bisharp and excadrill).
"Wishers" (chansey, alomomola, sylveon (?), clefable).
AV Slowbro, tyranitar, amoonguss, and excadrill are aboslutely terrible AV users :x
I can explain if need be, but I think its kinda self explanatory.

AV Slowbro, tyranitar, amoonguss, and excadrill are aboslutely terrible AV users :x
I can explain if need be, but I think its kinda self explanatory.
Agreed with AV being terrible on everything here except ttar.... It helps it really effectively counter Zard-Y, Latis, Ninja without Low Kick, Specially based swift swimmers and MegaHound as well as one time check a plethora of special attackers while maintaining a beautiful offensive presence

Agreed with AV being terrible on everything here except ttar.... It helps it really effectively counter Zard-Y, Latis, Ninja without Low Kick, Specially based swift swimmers and MegaHound as well as one time check a plethora of special attackers while maintaining a beautiful offensive presence
Seems iffy to me. Also seems pretty niche... I wont add it, it's not the best AV user and I dont even have an AV section cause it's not really needed but if i did have one it wouldnt include tar

edit: Not making a greninja checks or keldeo checks section until the meta has settled down. If gren is banned I will make a mega metagross section because it is probably one of the most threatening mons right now

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Low Kick is / was on just about every greninja, so that argument is invalid. Zard-Y can cleanly 2HKO with Focus Blast, because it's obvious you'd switch in Tyranitar on it. Mega Houndoom, while a good mon on paper, really isn't too common. AV is bad on Tyranitar because then it cannot use stealth rock which is pretty important and can't revenge kill threats with a choice scarf. Just don't use it please.

Low Kick is / was on just about every greninja, so that argument is invalid. Zard-Y can cleanly 2HKO with Focus Blast, because it's obvious you'd switch in Tyranitar on it. Mega Houndoom, while a good mon on paper, really isn't too common. AV is bad on Tyranitar because then it cannot use stealth rock which is pretty important and can't revenge kill threats with a choice scarf. Just don't use it please.
Hmmm then what mons in OU can effectively wield an assault vest bar Conk?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I don't think an AV user list is necessary. Most of the viable AV users fall under their appropriate placement of Pivot anyways. Speaking of which Conkeldurr is a Pivot so put it under there.

I'm confused as to what the Others option implies honestly. Most of the ones if not all of them in there are already in their respective roles besides M-Gallade who would go under Wall-Breaker.

I don't think an AV user list is necessary. Most of the viable AV users fall under their appropriate placement of Pivot anyways. Speaking of which Conkeldurr is a Pivot so put it under there.

I'm confused as to what the Others option implies honestly. Most of the ones if not all of them in there are already in their respective roles besides M-Gallade who would go under Wall-Breaker.
"other" is for other means of setting up, like belly drum, shell smash and tail glow as well as bulk up for the two megas. It would take up to much space to put them all separately, and not many things use those moves so theyre all together. Its not for pokemon with other roles, just with other set up moves

Why are Mega Gallade and Mega Medicham under other setup? Are people using bulk up sets? Or in 'cham's case, accupressure?

Edit: Also, mega lopunny should be in other setup because of the PuP set. Speaking of Lopunny, there should be a section under setup sweepers thats for the baton passers so that newer users wont think using stuff like agility scizor to sweep is a thing. Put things like Mega Lopunny, (Mega) Scizor, Togekiss, Venomoth, Gorebyss, and Scoliopede under that.

Edit2: One more thing, add Mega Amph under agility sweepers.

Edit3: Last edit, I swear. Realised I forgot to say what a great tool this will be for newer users. Thanks for making this and great job!

Last edited:
Why are Mega Gallade and Mega Medicham under other setup? Are people using bulk up sets? Or in 'cham's case, accupressure?

Edit: Also, mega lopunny should be in other setup because of the PuP set. Speaking of Lopunny, there should be a section under setup sweepers thats for the baton passers so that newer users wont think using stuff like agility scizor to sweep is a thing. Put things like Mega Lopunny, (Mega) Scizor, Togekiss, Venomoth, Gorebyss, and Scoliopede under that.

Edit3: Last edit, I swear. Realised I forgot to say what a great tool this will be for newer users. Thanks for making this and great job!
Yeah, what's wrong with bulk up sets lol? Mega gallade and mega cham are great bulk up users...

Umm, I'm not really sure what it is the Serperior does exactly, I just know it does it surprisingly well :/ is it a setup sweeper? Wallbreaker? Lure?? Idk. Jury's still out on its effectiveness as a screens user, since its sets are still being developed. Is Screens User a useful role? It's really just Klefki/Lati@s/Azelf that do it decently IIRC, but it's definitely a niche. Maybe Cresselia does it too, never used it before.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Umm, I'm not really sure what it is the Serperior does exactly, I just know it does it surprisingly well :/ is it a setup sweeper? Wallbreaker? Lure?? Idk. Jury's still out on its effectiveness as a screens user, since its sets are still being developed. Is Screens User a useful role? It's really just Klefki/Lati@s/Azelf that do it decently IIRC, but it's definitely a niche. Maybe Cresselia does it too, never used it before.
serperior got contrary so leaf storm reks, it usually runs dragon pulse and hp fire/ground as coverage

Edit: Oh and take Togekiss off of hazard removal and put it under stallbreakers. Its best set is the Nasty Plot one and you can literally just flinch defensive cores to death so this has the potential to break stall. The reason for removing off of hazard removal is because it's simply a mediocre Defogger that now lacks one of its best traits that it can provide in the tier and provides too many switch in opportunities for threatening stuff with this set.
Just added this, sorry only saw it now.

Did they even give it contrary on Showdown? even so we will have to wait until someone actually claims that it is good and it is added to the viability ranks. The reason for this is because if I add any random crap not on the viability list it clutters up the OP and takes up useless space.

Ok I will figure out how to make the baton pass section work. Will add all your other points too, thanks

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Talonflame isn't linked. And why is Gliscor under RP/Agility user, it doesn't do anything with it, and even the analysis doesn't mention RP/Agility in any of its sets. It should only be used as a wall.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
My changes I suggest-
  • Celebi under Defensive pivots
  • Mega Heracross as Stallbreaker
  • Mega Aerodactyl as Stallbreaker(Taunt set)
  • Thundurus as Stallbreaker(NP and Taunt etc)
  • Skarmory under Dragon type checks
  • Garchomp under Suicide leads
  • Mega Garchomp under Stallbreakers
  • P2 should probably be in Defensive and not Offensive pivots
  • Staraptor as Scarf user
  • Scizor and mega Scizor under Dragon checks
  • Mega Swampert as Stealth Rock user
  • Klefki for Priority
  • Gorebyss could go under Other set up
  • Diancie and Diancie Mega under Flying checks
  • Mew as Stallbreaker
That's all.

My changes I suggest-
  • Klefki for Priority
  • Mew as Stallbreaker
That's all.
I wouldn't really call mega heracross a stallbreaker. I'd say it's more of a wallbreaker. Mega aerodactyl is a pretty bad stallbreaker this gen, with mega sableye everywhere, the stallbreaker set has faced a sharp decline in popularity. Also, klefki should already be under priority since I already suggested it. Honestly, mew is also a pretty sucky stallbreaker this gen, but I guess you could use it.
Remember to look at other people's suggestions before making your own, a bunch of these have been repeated already.

Priority: (Mega) Metagross
Scarf: Magnezone (I see Magneton, but I also see a lot of people using Magnezone as well). I feel like Salamence could be here as well.(?) I already saw someone else mention Garchomp...
Suicide Lead: Aerodactyl (kind of uncommon right now but I think it is a competent speedy Taunt and Stealth Rock suicide lead)

Here's another shoutout for a Rain section. In the Rain Mixed Kingdra is a pretty fantastic mixed Wallbreaker.

My changes I suggest-
  • Klefki for Priority
  • Mew as Stallbreaker
That's all.
1) adding it
2) Not adding, see what husky said. Also for the record, something that breaks walls, or sets up with SD in front of walls, isnt a stallbreaker
3) ^
4) People really need to check the OP twice, thundy is already there
5) adding it
6) adding it
6b) (sorry frogot the part about mega chomp) again, breaks walls =/= breaks stall, so no
7) changing
8) adding it
9) adding it
10) Mega swampert isn't really your go-to SR user, the mon is usually never on standrad teams, mostly used on rain and even there they tend to run 4 attacks. The pokemon listed are what utilize rocks the best, swampy isn't one of them
11) Not adding any prankster users to Priority, it's for damaging attacks only
12) adding it
13) adding it too
14) Again, see what husky said.

Can we have a rain sweeper section, seeing as rain is a very viable and an extremely threatening playstyle?

I'd also like to see Ampharos added as an agility sweeper and Jirachi added as an offensive pivot.
See what I said above about weather (think it was on page 2). Not really an archetype that has much depth compared to a regular one, literally the same few mons on every team and whatever you need your SRer, Pivot, etc to be. I could go in depth about why i dont want it in the OP if you really want, but eh... Ok I will add Ampharos and Rachi

Priority: (Mega) Metagross
Scarf: Magnezone (I see Magneton, but I also see a lot of people using Magnezone as well). I feel like Salamence could be here as well.(?) I already saw someone else mention Garchomp...
Suicide Lead: Aerodactyl (kind of uncommon right now but I think it is a competent speedy Taunt and Stealth Rock suicide lead)

Here's another shoutout for a Rain section. In the Rain Mixed Kingdra is a pretty fantastic mixed Wallbreaker.
Kinda iffy about mega gross in priority. Honestly I dont think BP is its best option for moves as it has rather big 4MSS and BP doesn't acomplish much from my experience, it does more work with other moves and is not a top class priority user

Will add Magnezone. Garchomp is questionable as a scarfer in this meta, I'd like more opinions. Not adding salamence it's meh as a scarfer and in general.

As for aero, seems like a good lead on paper I guess because of good spead and taunt, but aside from getting up SR and using taunt it does nothing, compared to say, terrakion which has a lot of offensive presence while still having above average speed or azelf which has a great speed tier and moves for other common leads as well as explosion.

Talonflame isn't linked. And why is Gliscor under RP/Agility user, it doesn't do anything with it, and even the analysis doesn't mention RP/Agility in any of its sets. It should only be used as a wall.
I will fix this

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)