Resource ORAS Good Cores (Check Post #714)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Gyarados might be a better choice than Latios since he is an additional resist to Steel, is flying so Mold Breaker doesn't affect him, and is a good check/counter to Lando-T. And Gyarados still resists the other weaknesses of Diancie except Grass one of the rarest attacking types.

I feel like Gyarados might be a better choice than Latios since he is an additional resist to Steel, is flying so Mold Breaker doesn't affect him, and is a good check/counter to Lando-T. And Gyarados still resists the other weaknesses of Diancie except Grass one of the rarest attacking types.
I used a non-scarf Magnezone (went for Magnet Rise due to a suggestion, plus it's unusual and can catch some people off guard) in my core but I posted a M Diancie, Magnezone and Gyarados core in the other ORAS thread. Can't easily link it though because I'm on my phone.
Edit-it's on page 5 there.

Last edited:
Yeah Scarf Excadrill can be rly dangerous for that core (I'd use Gyarados somewhere too), but nobody should use it because it's quite bad. I mean, it can revenge-kills stuff and it's a fast Rapid Spin users but being locked in EQ and Rapid Spin mainly it's really really bad. There is lot of setup sweeper that can take advantage of this in the current metagame, and thats not good.

Diancie @ Diancite - Timid Nature (Magic Bounce)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Psyshock

Serperior @ Life Orb (or something else) - Timid Nature (Contrary)
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 232 Speed
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Taunt

Talonflame @ Choice Band - Adamant Nature (Gale Wings)
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Defense / 252 Speed
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Brave Bird
move 3: Steel Wing
move 4: Roost

This is honestly a really weird core I've been trying out (figuratively). I haven't actually tried it out, so I'm not suggesting it to be in the OP or anything - rather, I'm just getting this out there to see what you guys think of it. This would do a lot better if Greninja got banned, so the following assumes that it will be. Diancie is not run with Rock Polish because there IS no Greninja that is crucial to outspeed. Rather, it is a Stallbreaking Calm Mind set, which the rest of the core would have trouble with. I figured Hidden Power Fire wouldn't be the best choice, as if Scizor gets a free switch in, Diancie would need to leave anyway. Instead, Psyshock is run to OHKO 232/4 Mega Venusaur at +2. Serperior is the special nuke of the core but needs a bit of setup first. Taunt helps with Stall and also allows Serperior to wall non-Acrobatics SubToxic Gliscor. Dragon Pulse also allows Serperior (whose EVs let him outrun base 110s) to OHKO both Latis with Dragon Pulse. Hidden Power Fire also OHKOs Mega Scizor and does a good amount of damage to Ferro at +2. And Talonflame also runs Steel Wing now so that it can kill opposing Mega Diancie.

If anything, I would run protect over knock off instead of protect over drill run, since knock off is pretty much redundant coverage considering that the only thing it hits is gengar, and you can just u-turn out of it. Drill run actually hits useful stuff like magnezone and heatran.
I used and posted this exact core. Just a statement here, U turn scarfed lando wrecks this, and that's not good because it is so common.
I also feel like a Scarf Mold Breaker Excadrill could be problematic (and I am seeing it quite a bit too).
Damn I just went to sleep a bit and when I come back there's a whole conspiration against me? What kind of illumitatti's is going on here for the fuk sake?

Obviously is just a joke lol; On a more serious note thought, I agree that Scarf Landorus-T is the biggest threat of this core, but if we stop here and think a little, what exactly have a free switch on Landorus?. The only thing I can sorta think is Chesnaught (Breloom doesn't account since it's quite fragile and tend to try maintaining his sach as long as possible), but even then Landorus would just U-Turn out and bring Talonflame or other bullshit that scares Naught out anyways. To put simply, even check Landorus is a pain to offensive teams, so him is a threat that EVERY Offensive core fears, not mine exactly.

Then there's BulkySubGyarados, which I will honestly say that is a really good candidate to this core, being bringed by a Volt Switch and then starts to set up from there. The only problem is that he can only check Landorus if he's already behind a Sub, because if him is bringed directly, all what the other player needs is a good play and then:

-1 252 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 192-226 (54.3 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also, as Alexander. already pointed, Scarf Excadrill is a bad gimmicky that often gives you more free turns that it should, so therefore it's not THAT threat.

Besides everything, I've already uptaded my post and now there's SubGyarados as an option, while also remove that mention of Fighting types since ground ones are far more dangerous to Diancie and Mag (tbh I doesn't even know where I was with my head while writing that), so now I think that everybody can be happy now.

EDIT:

Diancie @ Diancite - Timid Nature (Magic Bounce)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Psyshock

Serperior @ Life Orb (or something else) - Timid Nature (Contrary)
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 232 Speed
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Taunt

Talonflame @ Choice Band - Adamant Nature (Gale Wings)
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Defense / 252 Speed
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Brave Bird
move 3: Steel Wing
move 4: Roost

This is honestly a really weird core I've been trying out (figuratively). I haven't actually tried it out, so I'm not suggesting it to be in the OP or anything - rather, I'm just getting this out there to see what you guys think of it. This would do a lot better if Greninja got banned, so the following assumes that it will be. Diancie is not run with Rock Polish because there IS no Greninja that is crucial to outspeed. Rather, it is a Stallbreaking Calm Mind set, which the rest of the core would have trouble with. I figured Hidden Power Fire wouldn't be the best choice, as if Scizor gets a free switch in, Diancie would need to leave anyway. Instead, Psyshock is run to OHKO 232/4 Mega Venusaur at +2. Serperior is the special nuke of the core but needs a bit of setup first. Taunt helps with Stall and also allows Serperior to wall non-Acrobatics SubToxic Gliscor. Dragon Pulse also allows Serperior (whose EVs let him outrun base 110s) to OHKO both Latis with Dragon Pulse. Hidden Power Fire also OHKOs Mega Scizor and does a good amount of damage to Ferro at +2. And Talonflame also runs Steel Wing now so that it can kill opposing Mega Diancie.
Just a small niptick, but Offensive Air Balloon Heatran completely shits on this core

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch / Bullet Punch / Pursuit

Manaphy @ Leftovers / Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Energy Ball

Okay, this may look pretty similar to Gallade+Manaphy, and it is, but I personally think it's even better. My biggest problem with Gallade+Manaphy is that it's basically a pure wallbreaking core : you're pairing up two Pokemon that destroy bulkier builds but tend to struggle against faster-paced teams, so you need to pack good anwsers to offense too. However, by pairing MMetagross and Manaphy you have something which fares very well against offensive teams thanks to it great bulk, power, and speed enabling it to switch in a bunch of times and be very difficult for offense to properly switch into in return, as well as something which is very good against defensive teams thanks to its crazy setup and pseudo-status immunity, so this core doesn't really need much support and gives you more freedom when teambuilding.
MMetagross and Manaphy have almost perfect synergy together, given that MMeta's best switchins, (Slowbro, Sableye, Skarmory, Scizor, Hippowdon, Suicune, Mandibuzz, to some extent Jirachi) are all set up on and destroyed by Manaphy who also has no problems switching into any of them (besides I guess Scizor if offensive, but offensive Zor isn't a consistent answer to MMeta anyway). Manaphy also checks Talonflame (especially since Flare Blitz is the move you usually go for if you're facing a Metagross), Greninja, Scarf Lando-T, Sand Rush Excadrill, Scarf Heatran, Victini, really most answers to MMeta you find on offense decently. In return, MMetagross smashes Latis, Kyurem-B, MAltaria, MGardevoir, Unaware Clefable, MVenusaur, Celebi, Mega-Sceptile, Chansey, basically Dragon, Fairy and Grass types which can either wall or check Manaphy. Also, MMetagross can wear down/lure Ferrothorn for Manaphy to break past once it gets to +3 (one Hammer Arm does over 60% to the standard spread, and +3 Scald does 32%, so after one switch into MMeta's Hammer Arm after rocks it can no longer beat Manaphy). So yeah, this is a very solid and powerful bulky offense core. It does need some support, primarily a Mega-Manectric switchin and Electric switch in general, but for the most part it stands on its own legs very well.

Last edited:

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch / Bullet Punch / Pursuit

Manaphy @ Leftovers / Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Energy Ball

Okay, this may look pretty similar to Gallade+Manaphy, and it is, but I personally think it's actually better. My biggest problem with Gallade+Manaphy is that it's basically a pure wallbreaking core : you're pairing up two Pokemon that destroy bulkier builds but tend to struggle against faster-paced teams, so you need to pack good anwsers to offense too. However, by pairing MMetagross and Manaphy you have something which fares very well against offensive teams thanks to it great bulk, power, and speed enabling it to switch in a bunch of times and be very difficult for offense to properly switch into in return, as well as something which is very good against defensive teams thanks to its crazy setup and pseudo-status immunity, so this core doesn't really need much support and gives you more freedom when teambuilding.
MMetagross and Manaphy have almost perfect synergy together, given that MMeta's best switchins, (Slowbro, Sableye, Skarmory, Scizor, Hippowdon, Suicune, Mandibuzz, to some extent Jirachi) are all set up on and destroyed by Manaphy who also has no problems switching into any of them (besides I guess Scizor if offensive, but offensive Zor isn't a consistent answer to MMeta anyway). Manaphy also checks Talonflame (especially since Flare Blitz is the move you usually go for if you're facing a Metagross), Greninja, Scarf Lando-T, Sand Rush Excadrill, Scarf Heatran, Victini, really most answers to MMeta you find on offense decently. In return, MMetagross smashes Latis, Kyurem-B, MAltaria, MGardevoir, Unaware Clefable, MVenusaur, Celebi, Mega-Sceptile, Chansey, basically Dragon, Fairy and Grass types which can either wall or check Manaphy. Also, MMetagross can wear down/lure Ferrothorn for Manaphy to break past once it gets to +3 (one Hammer Arm does over 60% to the standard spread, and +3 Scald does 32%, so after one switch into MMeta's Hammer Arm after rocks it can no longer beat Manaphy). So yeah, this is a very solid and powerful bulky offense core. It does need some support, primarily a Mega-Manectric switchin, but for the most part it stands on its own legs very well.
wow I'm actually using this core on an team at my cartridge, and if I can help you someway is that a bulky fairy is also a really great option to run along MegaMeta and Manaphy since it not only gives you a second option to break thought Mega Sableye / Slowbro, but most importantly, a switch to Mega Manectric. I'm particularly using Clefable on my team, but Sylveon is also a nice choice if you want.

Yeah Scarf Excadrill can be rly dangerous for that core (I'd use Gyarados somewhere too), but nobody should use it because it's quite bad. I mean, it can revenge-kills stuff and it's a fast Rapid Spin users but being locked in EQ and Rapid Spin mainly it's really really bad. There is lot of setup sweeper that can take advantage of this in the current metagame, and thats not good.
Even though we can debate how good or bad Scarf Excadrill is (it can be a momentum killer but that can be true with many scarfers and mispredictions.) I checked the usage stats though and I think Scarf Excadrill is the second most common iteration at 20.5%, so it's not super common but it is common enough to be worth mentioning I think.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Toxic
- Protect

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic
- Defog

This defensive core is actually way better than I expected it to be. These two pokemon cover each others weaknesses almost perfectly, and they handle each others checks very well also. Gliscor can handle big physical threats such as landorus-t, mega metagross, and excadrill. Empoleon can take care of special threats such as greninja (if it doesn't get banned), latios and clefable. Greninja can somewhat do something to this core, but gliscor can take a low kick from it. The lati twins are really irrelivant here as well, as Empoleon can take psyshocks from them because of it's steel typing. So, if greninja gets banned, I could see this core becoming more relevant in the ou metagame since there aren't many mixed attackers that carry types that hit both of these pokemon. Overall, this core is pretty decent in the OU suspect metagame because of the absence of Greninja, and I hope this core would get some more love since it is pretty powerful. :)

Calcs to show the bulk:
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 99-117 (26.6 - 31.5%) -- 17.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Empoleon: 94-110 (25.3 - 29.6%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 188+ Def Gliscor: 87-103 (24.5 - 29%) -- possible 6HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 188+ Def Gliscor: 77-91 (21.7 - 25.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 188+ Def Gliscor: 138-163 (38.9 - 46%) -- 75% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal

Thundurus kinda shits all over that core, so bulky fairies like clefable would be pretty helpful, as well as forming 2/3 of a fairy dragon steel core.

Mega Altaria is a fearsome sweeper that can rip apart unprepared teams. However, most teams are prepared; all they really have to do is carry a steel type on their team. And that's where Magnezone comes into play. Magnezone traps most Steel Types for Altaria, such as Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Skarmory. Furthermore, it provides a useful volt switch to bring Altaria in safely and allow it to get a free substitute of the Grass and Dragon types that it lures in. Overall, this offensive core is extremely effective against almost all team compositions, but falls apart when faced against a Heatran or a Metagross. For this reason, Pokemon such as Azumarill, Landorus and Dugtrio work well with this Core.
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Substitute
- Return

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Mega Altaria is a fearsome sweeper that can rip apart unprepared teams. However, most teams are prepared; all they really have to do is carry a steel type on their team. And that's where Magnezone comes into play. Magnezone traps most Steel Types for Altaria, such as Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Skarmory. Furthermore, it provides a useful volt switch to bring Altaria in safely and allow it to get a free substitute of the Grass and Dragon types that it lures in. Overall, this offensive core is extremely effective against almost all team compositions, but falls apart when faced against a Heatran or a Metagross. For this reason, Pokemon such as Azumarill, Landorus and Dugtrio work well with this Core.
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Substitute
- Return

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
I really think with this core the bulky M-Altaria DDance spread is much more effective with 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe Impish nature. It's just a way more consistent win condition with that particular set in regards to mono attacking sets. The extra power is nice but the bulk provided makes sweeping so much easier and paired with Magnzone + Knock Off user to remove Shed Shells makes it downright dangerous. Just a thought to consider.

I really think with this core the bulky M-Altaria DDance spread is much more effective with 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe Impish nature. It's just a way more consistent win condition with that particular set in regards to mono attacking sets. The extra power is nice but the bulk provided makes sweeping so much easier and paired with Magnzone + Knock Off user to remove Shed Shells makes it downright dangerous. Just a thought to consider.
Seems great actually. Ill make the change.

Even though we can debate how good or bad Scarf Excadrill is (it can be a momentum killer but that can be true with many scarfers and mispredictions.) I checked the usage stats though and I think Scarf Excadrill is the second most common iteration at 20.5%, so it's not super common but it is common enough to be worth mentioning I think.
Yeah it's, I was just pointing out how bad Scarf Excadrill is and how much setup sweepers can take advantage of it. Its true that any scarfer can be setup fodder, but I also think that Scarf Excadrill is probably one of the worst from this point of view.

I'd reckon this core I'm gonna post offensive.

Alright, so what is this core? First, the core exists out of the following Pokemon: Lucario, Latias(-Mega) and Weavile. Lucario is a great offensive physical sweeper, Latias-Mega is a bulky Calm Mind user and Weavile is a trapper for Latias. As you can see, this core is offensively based. Lucario and Latias have great typing synergy, as Lucario beats up the Fairy-types that trouble Latias and Latias beats up Fighting-types that trouble Lucario in return, but also have other typing synergy. For example: Lucario double resists Bug and Dark, and Latias is immune to Ground, etc. After, I added Weavile, because it is a great partner here for Latias because it can trap and beat the Ghost-types (mainly Gengar and the rare Cofagrigus) that trouble Latias. However, Sableye, Lando-T and Scarf Excadrill are kinda threats to this core; I like to pair it up with Azumarill, as it can all beat those one by one, but that's your choice.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail
- ExtremeSpeed

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 25 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Any suggestions would be cool, as this is the first core im posting.

Last edited:

I'd reckon this core I'm gonna post offensive.

Alright, so what is this core? First, the core exists out of the following Pokemon: Lucario, Latias(-Mega) and Weavile. Lucario is a great offensive physical sweeper, Latias-Mega is a bulky Calm Mind user and Weavile is a trapper for Latias. As you can see, this core is offensively based. Lucario and Latias have great typing synergy, as Lucario beats up the Fairy-types that trouble Latias and Latias beats up Fighting-types that trouble Lucario in return, but also have other typing synergy. For example: Lucario double resists Bug and Dark, and Latias is immune to Ground, etc. After, I added Weavile, because it is a great partner here for Latias because it can trap and beat the Ghost-types (mainly Gengar and the rare Cofagrigus) that trouble Latias. However, Sableye, Lando-T and Scarf Excadrill are kinda threats to this core; I like to pair it up with Azumarill, as it can all beat those one by one, but that's your choice.

Lucario @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail
- ExtremeSpeed

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 25 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Any suggestions would be cool, as this is the first core im posting.
The offensive synergy seems viable. If this core is used, the only recommendation I have is that you have something that can defend against Belly Drum Azumarill. If it happens to get a setup against this core, it looks like you'll get swept. Jolly Lucario E-speed does 33.5 - 39.5% and most likely won't revenge kill in combination with a weak Stored Power from Latias.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Toxic
- Protect

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic
- Defog

This defensive core is actually way better than I expected it to be. These two pokemon cover each others weaknesses almost perfectly, and they handle each others checks very well also. Gliscor can handle big physical threats such as landorus-t, mega metagross, and excadrill. Empoleon can take care of special threats such as greninja (if it doesn't get banned), latios and clefable. Greninja can somewhat do something to this core, but gliscor can take a low kick from it. The lati twins are really irrelivant here as well, as Empoleon can take psyshocks from them because of it's steel typing. So, if greninja gets banned, I could see this core becoming more relevant in the ou metagame since there aren't many mixed attackers that carry types that hit both of these pokemon. Overall, this core is pretty decent in the OU suspect metagame because of the absence of Greninja, and I hope this core would get some more love since it is pretty powerful. :)

Calcs to show the bulk:
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 99-117 (26.6 - 31.5%) -- 17.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Empoleon: 94-110 (25.3 - 29.6%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 188+ Def Gliscor: 87-103 (24.5 - 29%) -- possible 6HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 188+ Def Gliscor: 77-91 (21.7 - 25.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 188+ Def Gliscor: 138-163 (38.9 - 46%) -- 75% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal
Just a bit of nitpicking, but why use Defiant on Empoleon? Torrent might not be the most useful ability in the world, but it at least will provide you some functionality. And most opponents will probably forget it exists when it finally does end up coming of use, which could lead to some silly opportunities.

Just a bit of nitpicking, but why use Defiant on Empoleon? Torrent might not be the most useful ability in the world, but it at least will provide you some functionality. And most opponents will probably forget it exists when it finally does end up coming of use, which could lead to some silly opportunities.
I'd like to go a step further and point out to Timid_Metagross that Defog + Defiant on Empleon is illegal. Defog is a Gen IV HM-only move, and Defiant is a Hidden Ability that wasn't introduced until Gen V. There's literally no choice but Torrent.

The offensive synergy seems viable. If this core is used, the only recommendation I have is that you have something that can defend against Belly Drum Azumarill. If it happens to get a setup against this core, it looks like you'll get swept. Jolly Lucario E-speed does 33.5 - 39.5% and most likely won't revenge kill in combination with a weak Stored Power from Latias.
Actually, I think I better change this to Psyshock. Calm Mind up on the predicted Belly Drum (if you can), and when Azumarill is at 68% (Stealth Rock), and Psyshock KOes it, Aqua Jet won't KO anyway. But, furthermore, you can Psyshock on the BDrum and then do it again, bcz Aqua Jet won't KO, and then you'll KO. I'll do that.

It also hits Chansey better, btw.

Last edited:

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 216 HP / 140 SpD / 152 Spe
Careful Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 100 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off
Regenerator is an excellent ability to pair up with sableye and the trio certainly wouldn't mind being used together with amoongus or tangrowth. Gyarados sets up on and beats magic guard clefables that otherwise come in and calm mind on you (unless they have a life orb). He also beats some common things that try to force sableye out to get rocks up, like heatran. And he's a good scout for charizards; it beats char-y and intimidates char-x (then switch to a different mon) it basically just safely figures out which one it is without losing anything. The speed is to outspeed base 110s after one boost (not that you'll be that strong without any atk EVs). The point of the team I built was abusing sableye and using teammates to, usually, get gyarados boosted up to unmanageable levels. This is facilitated by sableye and tornadus knocking off items to turn things like landorus-I and greninja into weak setup fodder.

With all this in mind, I used a ground type pokemon that convincingly beats rotom (to prevent it from voltswitching out of gyarados and getting an advantage). You might consider a pokemon with dragon/ground or water/ground typing to handle the hydro pumps. I used seismitoad because with toxic on rotom it prepares a gyarados sweep in the future and it can also set up rocks. Furthermore I used some pokemon that can handle other dangerous fairies out there, like diancie and gardevoir, which otherwise come in on sableye and make switching difficult unless you have the right pokemon.

Tornadus-T is a great pokemon to use because the 108-110 speed tier is plenty crowded and knocking off life orbs or choice specs, freely switching into gengars, outspeeding metagrosses, and surviving +2 scizor bullet punches for a heatwave makes him a great check or counter to a great deal of dangerous threats that people try to spam. He also wins 1v1 vs offensive gardevoir with sludge wave and does enough damage to BD azumarill to prevent it from boosting.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Dark Pulse

Gallade @ Galladite
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
Mega Gallade's strengths are pretty self-explanatory, so I'll spare the redundancy and simply direct you to the first post, wherein one of the only 'mons used more often in the offensive section would be... Greninja, actually. Looking at their weaknesses (Gallade to Fairy/Ghost/Flying and Greninja to Fighting/Bug/Fairy/Electric/Grass), and then at what among them they can't hit super-effectively... (Electric/Bug) you get a surprisingly short list of problems 'mons. Dark type moves on each helps against Slowbro, Gunk shot can nab a few Fairies (Azumarill in particular), Low Kick can OHKO min HP Heatran, Ice Beam keeps pressure on the likes of Venusaur along with being fairly obligatory at this point... both have extreme offensive pressure, Gallade through swords dance+knock off and Greninja through its coverage. In fact, I've seen this combo around on Showdown often enough that I'm likely wasting time by explaining what's likely obvious to everyone by now, though I'll note that Low Kick OHKOing scarf Heatran or such on the switch is a major part of the EV set for Greninja. Priority users like Scizor and Talonflame, along with a few defensive pokemon (Fairies and Sableye, most notably) still give them trouble of course, and they rather desperately want for hazards, and there are problems with status being thrown around... Enter Heatran.

Heatran's typing grants it that nifty 4x fairy resistance, of course, and flash fire boosts off a will-o-wisp will certainly disrupt a Sableye-- in fact, immunity to burn and toxic is invaluable for dealing with the 'loose ends' that could end a sweep prematurely. Toxic of its own helps to punish bulky switch-ins or your average boosting fairy in general, while Lava Plume nicely dents Scizor, who otherwise plays havok with the other two. SR cripples 'mons like Talonflame and Volcarona, of course, who won't much fear for Lava Plume, while Roar keeps 'mons you've Toxiced or SRed from staying in for a shorter-term bit of boosting. The speed EVs do keep Heatran above Venusaur in speed, among others, but it's mostly to keep from being speed creeped by Scizor, as the rare Superpower is still something you certainly don't want happening. Special defense helps with fairies all-around, as gunk shot's accuracy is too dreadful to be any true assurance against them. Greninja's Low Kick is particularly important for dealing with other Heatran, given the total lack of Earth Power on this set, but Roar on a predicted switch-in can help in situations where switching to Greninja directly would be too risky. In face, Roar is particularly nice for keeping momentum in your favor without extreme risks, which the minimal bulk of Gallade+Greninja would otherwise suffer from immensely.

I'm sure that plenty of other steel types can work as glue to a core of Greninja+Gallade, really, but I've not found any that manage to check not just Fairies, but priority users like Scizor and Talonflame as well. I've mostly been supporting this core with the likes of Landorus-T for its u-turn and immunities to Ground/Electric, along with forming a bit of a defensive core with Heatran. I've been using Zapdos as a bulky volt-switching defogger and CM Keldeo as a win condition/wallbreaker sort to add to Gallade's boosting pressure, but I tend to favor balanced teams, so I'm sure there are more hyper-offensive variations on the idea. Thinking of it, though...

---

This one's a bit more peculiar, particularly because I'm struggling to find just why these two always seem to end up together on my teams. Keldeo's distinctly offensive and Zapdos defensive, they don't even interact that much with each other to, say, form a defensive core or even an offensive one. 'Balanced core' is the nearest I can think of to describe it, I suppose. Their resistances certainly line up, of course, with Keldeo handling most Rock/Ice problems of Zapdos, who in turn handles Grass/Flying types fairly well. Zapdos's access to u-turn and volt switch give it a means of gaining momentum for Keldeo as well as defogging potential problems... yet, neither are options I always have for Zapdoses that're paired with Keldeos. Likewise Keldeo can set up CMs from the switches or get free turns for Scalding if specs, yet, neither feel 'manditory'. The best I can do to explain is to call them 'glue'-- as with Scizor, they tend to have a use in pulling teams together without ever really themselves being the focus. Sure, Keldeo can wallbreak or act as a win condition, or Zapdos can complete a voltturn core or deal with hazards, but any number of pokemon can fill in the 'blanks' that they provide... Scizor, Landorus, Sylveon, Heatran, Venusaur, Bisharp, Charizard X... plenty of 'mons feel to benefit from this pairing, so I couldn't really say if it makes more sense to try and point them out individually. Without doing so, however, it's a bit hard to figure what sets would be 'typical' for each-- I've used Specs/CM Keldeo, mostly, along with Defog+Volt Switch on Zapdos most commonly, though T-bolt over Volt Switch or Toxic/Roar over Defog has certainly worked as well.

---

Also, I'm curious as to what sorts of cores might be applicable? Volt-turn cores strike me as absent (albeit they can, granted, typically be categorized as offensive/defensive), but, just to play devil's advocate a bit, what if some core happens to be completely miscellaneous?

Ditto+Wobbuffet, while inarguably a bit of a ridiculous concept, would be a core that's difficult to define as offensive/defensive/balanced. Not that I'm recommending it, mind you, but I've built a team around it that faired surprisingly well, so I suppose I'll at least use it as an example of something extremely unconventional. The idea is that there's some extreme synergy to Wobbuffet Encoring something into boosts that Ditto can then steal with a free switch, or Ditto luring in faster choice scarf users for Wobbuffet to trap, or so on. It's a fairly simple synergy, but if the idea of a core is that once 'can build a team around it', then it technically fits-- add a defogger, a cleric/wish passer, a wallbreaker and perhaps a voltturn core, and you've got a team-- or some such progression. It does allow you to create a team that has very minimal fear for non-CM boosting 'mons or choice scarves, if nothing else, and neither of the two take much support to do their jobs, though a pursuit trapper certainly never hurts.

Anywho, just an odd little example whilst I wonder at the format a bit-- by all means, though, take my wall-of-text with a grain of salt, as I've not been playing much since X/Y, and I only really reached 1700 or so before I dropped out of play for a while. Was back during the deosharp and baton pass booms, IIRC... ah, but I've blathered enough for one post and then some. ^^"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)