Battle Maison Discussion & Records

I just got 200 wins in a row for ORAS Super Singles. Streak is still active, but here is the team.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot

This guy gets most of the work done. He is great, AI tricks, yada, yada, yada. But, I only really like him in the lead spot. His ability to switch into anything is pretty much zero (except Psychic moves), and all his trickery with resists work better from full health. He is unfazed by lead Intimidates, and laughs at both Flame Body and Static. Against pokes you cannot OHKO, you have to decide to stay in and try to live through resists, sacrifice and clean up with Scizor, or switch. Leading with him also makes the battles quite a bit faster, as you often can kill their first two guys and just clean up with Garchomp for the OHKO on the third.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Who would have though they could have made Scizor even better? This guy sets up all over a lot of the Maison, and can get +2 with enough health to spare against even more. The main reason I like him is to have a Toxic immunity and a setup sweeper all in one. Aegislash rolls over to Earthquake, and I have nothing immune to EQ, so Scizor is the better choice here, even though it means no Fighting resist. Sometimes you come in against dangerous pokemon at low health (Medicham4) and you can Bullet Punch and maybe set up against the next guy.

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

If Choice Band Chomp was good enough to get 100 wins in Pearl, it is good enough now. Not exactly true, of course, as instead of being the all around monster that can carry a team, in Gen VI he is used for an Electric-immune fast dragon. The main use of this guy, other than killing the last pokemon after Greninja goes down, is switching into pretty much every electric type that Greninja encounters. You only need two moves for 95% of his job, so after adding one to not be walled by Togekiss, you get a choice. Volcarona4 is quite scary, so I went with Rock Slide in my never used moveslot. In 200 battles I have yet to have the soul-searching decision of what to do if it is Chomp vs 2 remaining pokes, but try to avoid that situation if at all possible. Veterans have no fairies and a lot of fliers, so against them you have to Outrage and hope for the best.

The list of threats that I can remember specifically encountering multiple times.

Medicham4: Does not die to Surf even after Life Orb recoil. I have found it best to just sac Greninja, even if Medicham is their lead, and hope to win the 2v2 with Scizor and Garchomp.

Jolteon4: Switch to Garchomp. Fake Tears means go to Scizor to avoid the Hyper Beam OHKO, anything else just kill it.

Claydol4: Just go to Scizor. Grass Knot sometimes kills, but he can Explode turn 1 as a lead, and Scizor sets up anyways.

Ninetales4: Drought means go to Garchomp.

Crobat4: He can win by himself if he ever feels like it, as he outspeeds with a Sleep move. He likes to Taunt Scizor, so just Bullet Punch from the word go if he manages to solo Greninja.

I was sick of losing to Terrakion, and this team pretty solid against him, although Isabella and Saba lead Terrakion is always fun times. I like this team against Veterans in general, as usually somehow, somewhere you get that one SD with Chomp in the back to take care out most Electric and Fire pokes that would come out.

The team is pretty easy to use, after all, I copied from the best. Then tweaked everything to make it worse but faster.

Skill- M2BW-WWWW-WWWN-DHCC

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's been about a year since I've really looked at this topic. The VGC circuit being more involved than ever, and the fact that a lot of the Battle Maison's sets are Copypasted from Battle Subway kind of kills a lot of motivation for me to keep up with it. Sadly, no Frontier in ORAS, but I'll still drop this one down. It's another 1000W Triples Team. I looked at the teams used for long Triples runs in the first post and was sort of surprised to see that nobody has use this strategy here.

The Team:

Politoed (M) @ Choice Scarf ***Araragi
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance

Scarf Politoed, Rain Setter. Pretty straightforward stuff. and based on this first Pokemon... some of you may see where this team will be going. Especially if you've read my 5th Gen Double Subway team post. It's easier to talk about the leads as a whole here, so I'll just briefly touch on the moveset before moving on. Surf is for spread damage, and is boosted up by Drizzle. Ice Beam is for coverage. Hydro Pump is for the rare cases when I need some extra power, and Rain Dance is to reset the rain in case my opponent leads a weather changer at the start of the battle.

Ludicolo (F) @ Absorb Bulb ***RideTheDucks
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Fake Out
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

Swift Swim attacker #1. Another straightforward set. Ludicolo gets a boost from the Absorb Bulb when hit by its ally's Surf. When at +1, Rain boosted Surfs do a considerable amount of damage to opponents. Ice Beam and Grass Knot are for coverage, and Fake Out is to provide a slight supportive option to the team during times where the lead matchup isn't the most favourable. Since Ludicolo will have its Speed doubled most of the time by Swift Swim, Fake Out will always go before any opponent's attempt at the same. A simple 252/252 spread is used here. I needed at least 121 speed to outspeed the Scarf Terrakion, which requires 244 EVs in speed. so I might has well put in a 252/252 spread, which at least gives me a speed tie with Ludicolo 4 which has 252 in Speed.

Kingdra (F) @ Life Orb ***Misdirection
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse

Swift Swim attacker #2. Since it's a triple battle, I might as well lead with another Swift Swimming friend. I end up with a set having double Water, and double Dragon-type attacks. Surf and Dragon Pulse are my usual moves, while Draco Meteor and Hydro Pump are for situations where a bit of extra power is needed. I had Ice Beam over Dragon Pulse for a short while, but Dragon Pulse is able to reach across the field, which is extremely useful for Kingdra.

With Politoed, Ludicolo, and Kingdra as my leads, I'm often instantly in a position to deal major damage to my opponents, as all three of my leads are faster than just about anything in the Maison, and all three of them run spread attacks. What makes things even more potent is that Kingdra outspeeds my Ludicolo, and is able to trigger the Absorb Bulb before Ludicolo gets to move, making it so it effectively starts the battle with a +1 SpA boost. This makes it so it is extremely easy for my leads to KO 2 or even all 3 of my opponent's Pokemon right from T1, and coast through on a Pokemon lead, and the difference in offensive firepower.

Obviously, things aren't always perfect for my leads. While I do heavy damage to my opponents, my Pokemon also deal a hefty amount of damage to themselves with Surf. It's not all that uncommon for my leads to have to take a fall in battle. To back them up, I have:

Gastrodon (M) @ Rindo Berry ***Totenblume
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 100 HP / 92 Def / 252 SpA / 64 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Muddy Water
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Storm Drain Offensive, Trick Room check. Gastrodon was a member of my Double Subway rain team, and it is used here for similar reasons. Storm Drain, along with its Ground-typing makes Gastrodon immune to both Water and Electric-type moves. This allows it to be a relatively safe switch in for my team, without having to lift my offensive pressure of Surf spamming. Storm Drain also means that Gastrodon is boosted whenever it is hit with Water-type attacks. Very often, when Gastrodon enters play, it piles up a ton of boosts from my own Surfs, to the point where anything it hits is pretty much an OHKO. It holds a Rindo Berry, otherwise a lot of Grass-type Pokemon can easily down Gastrodon in one hit. Humorously enough, due to the nerf in Critical hit damage, the Rindo Berry actually lets my Gastrodon survive a critical hit Grass type attack from some of the ones that have more defensive EV spreads. EVs give it slightly better durability than a simple 252/252.

Bisharp (F) @ Focus Sash ***Bismarck
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Protect

Focus Sash Bisharp. Trick Room check, Item breaker. I felt like my team needed a Steel-type. I decided to go with Bisharp for this one, instead of a Scizor that I used in 5th gen. This was partially because Scizor's go-to item was already taken up by Kingdra here, and Bisharp has a better match against Trick Room setters. The moveset isn't anything groundbreaking, and the EV spread was just to have about 108 Speed so that Bisharp can have a slight amount more bulk. Knock Off is pretty helpful against some of the more annoying stall/setup Pokemon. Removing their Leftovers/Chesto Berry/etc. definitely makes life easier for me. Sash Bisharp is pretty helpful as it can draw away Fighting-type moves and stall with Protect. And if it gets hit to 1HP, it can draw away everyone's moves similar to a L1 Aron.

Conkeldurr (F) @ Assault Vest ***GONG
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Def / 28 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 24 Spe
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Payback
- Ice Punch

Assault Vest Conks. To round out my roster, I wanted another physical attacker. I didn't want to let some of the specially bulky Pokemon get the better of me, and I felt like I wanted something that could help me during times where I may need to change the weather. I arbitrarily decided to go with an Assault Vest Conkeldurr, and it sort of stuck. Conkeldurr's impressive amount of bulk just lets it shrug off hits, and recover back with Drain Punch. Usually Conkeldurr comes in when things are weakened, and there's often something for it to just pick off with Mach Punch. But it's proven itself able to stand its ground even when times get tough.

Overall:

As mentioned earlier, this team's strategy is an adaptation of my old Double Battle Subway Rain team. The primary strategy is pretty straightforward, mash A, Surf Surf Surf, and wash away the opponent. My team's back half helps in trying to stand my ground against things like Trick Room, and specially defensive Pokemon. The priority moves also keeps me from falling behind against faster teams that get past my initial offense.

Once again the team sort of ended up without a Mega. Can't say whether this is the right call or not, but I guess if I've made it to at least 1000, it can't be too bad. Besides, it saves me from seeing the Mega Evolution animation hundreds of times so that's cool.

Quick How-to-Play:

Due to the high-speed and high-power of the leads for this team, you have quite a lot of control over the battle right from the start. With a good amount of familiarity with opponent movesets, and what trainers have, I'd say a good 80-90% of battles boils down to a pretty simple puzzle game of what moves to play such that opponent does little to nothing on their turn. Where about 40% of the time, the answer is "Mash A". Because of that, I'd say that this team is at least a little less mindless than the Greninja Aron team.

Basically, you want to ask yourself:
Q1: Can you reliably KO all the opponent's active Pokemon?
Q2: If not, can you KO 2/3?
Q3: Which Pokemon that the opponent has do you feel is the least damaging/takes too much effort to currently defeat?
Q4: Are the any Threat Factors that you need to pay attention to?

Threat Factors:

Various listing of threat factors with a brief comment:

1.Lax Incense/Bright Powder

It's just a 10% chance. No big deal. To be honest, I think I largely ignore the existance of these items for this team, since the team just attacks everything indescriminantly anyways.

2.Quick Claw

Most notably: Muk and Leafeon. Leafeon is usuaully not too much to worry about, Muk can be a pain. I will sometimes just switch Ludicolo out for Gastrodon or Bisharp against Muk to avoid taking a Gunk Shot.

3.Storm Drain/Water Absorb

I think I usually just assume they don't have it if Surf spamming can KO the other two Pokemon. Otherwise, I might try to play around it. Mentions to Poliwrath, because I sometimes want to make sure I can hit it with something to avoid a potential Focus Punch. Mentions to Cradily because boosting it too much would actually be a problem.

4.Swift Swim

Opposing Kingdra are more or less KO on sight by my own Kingdra. The other Swift Swim pokemon are largely a non-factor.

5.Cloud Nine

Weather Cancelling sucks. Altaria is pretty easy to deal with, by targetting it with a couple of Ice Beams/Dragon Pulse. Lickilicky is a bit more tricky. Against Lickilicky, I'll likely try to switch out some of my Pokemon, as often times its first move is to use Explosion. Once it disposes of itself, I can bring back my weather Pokemon.

6.Drought/Sunny Day users

So basically just referring to Ninetales, whenever it actually shows up with Drought, and those Chefs that have a Fire/Grass Sunny Day based team. Usually I try to switch out Politoed to prepare to bring it back to reset rain if needed, and will try to do that as soon as possible. Alternatively, I will need to focus on taking out anything that potentially has Sunny Day before it has a chance to take out my weather.

7.Sand Stream/Sandstorm users

I honestly can't remember the last time something has used manual Sand, so this is pretty much just referring to Hippowdon and Tyranitar. There ARE manual Sandstorm users, but trying to use it will often be the least of their worries. Conkeldurr also helps in handling stuff like Tyranitar.

8.Snow Warning/Hail users

Usually Abomasnow, sometimes Aurorus. Sometimes feel like Pokemon that have only two abilites (one standard and hidden) feel like they have a 2/3 chance of having their standard ability. At the very least, it always seems like Abomasnow, Tyranitar, and Hippowdon will come with their weather ability, but Ninetales will more likely just come with Flash Fire. Hail is still probably the weather I like handling the least, as switching in my Pokemon can risk them getting frozen solid by Blizzard.

9.Wide Guard

You know what feels really bad? Surf, Surf, Surfing... all into Wide Guard. Dealing a bunch of damage to yourself, nothing to the opponent, and essentially giving the other two opponent Pokemon a free turn to attack. Triple Maison is very heavy on offensive momentum, and mass Surfing into Wide Guard is a very quick way to lose it all. There are only two Wide Guard users you'll probably ever see. Bastiodon and Regigigas. And I think the Regigigas only is used by one or two of the Veterans. I usually just try to get rid of Bastiodon, and switch to mainly using single target attacks until it is gone.

10.Trick Room

usually if Trick Room goes up, it's a time to switch in Gastrodon. If it looks like I'm in enough of a lead I may just sacrifice my leads in order to safely get Bisharp or Conkeldurr into the fray. Since a lot of the time, Trick Room will be done by a Hex Maniac or Psychic, Bisharp can easily tear things apart.

11.Protect

Pokemon that have Protect. There's quite a lot of them. Since the team doesn't have a L1 Aron throwing the AI into a blind attacking rage, they will actually use Protect here. It doesn't mean too much most of the time, but it might be important when planning your move so that you can avoid needlessly bumping into a Protect.

12.Fake Out

They exist. Like Protect, it usually isn't too bad, and some cases they'll not even use it because they can OHKO one of the Pokemon with another attack isntead. Ludicolo does have a faster Fake Out in this case, so you are well in control of what you want to have occur during the opening turn of the battle. Fake Out something threatening on the opponent side, Fake Out the Fake Out user, or perhaps just not use Fake Out at all. It's up to you.

13.Other

Other notable mentions:
Assault Vest Magnezone, AV Snorlax - Extreme special bulk
Blissey - Minimize is dumb
Venusaur, Tentacruel, Roserade, Meganium, Lanturn - stall sets are dumb. While none of these are too threatening, they take a while to KO.
Latios, Latias, Regice, Virizion - high Special bulk, there's a Latios and a Latias that has an evade item which is kind of annoying for Kingdra. These pokemon tend to be the ones to prioritize taking out when facing Veterans.
Talonflame - Due to Gale Wings, Fake Out and Surf it on sight. If it comes in late game, just Surf spam and hopefully it will be a trade at worst

So yeah, another 1000 Wins. With that, I'll likely get back to the VGC grind. Hopefully there will be a return to the Battle Frontier some day. Until then, good luck with the Maison, and keep up the good records.

Merry Christmas.

While I have multiple battle videos of this run so far there is one in particular which I'd like to share.

Battle 1.012 Vs. Garcon Porter: AY5W-WWWW-WWWN-YNWH

879 | Walrein4 | Bold | Lax Incense | Sheer Cold | Fissure | Rest | Sleep Talk | Def/SpD
850 | Mandibuzz4 | Careful | Leftovers | Substitute | Swagger | Punishment | Roost | HP/Def/SpD

Aron used protect, Aron protected itself!
Mandibuzz used Swagger, Dusclops got confused!
Walrein used Fissure, Aron protected itself!
Dusclops is confused! Dusclops used Trick Room, Dusclops twisted the dimensions
The frontline Garcon Porter sent out is one of the deadliest frontlines in the entire Maison for my team.
Walrein could randomly decide to 1HKO Dusclops, and even if it doesn't it's still a coinflip if I get Trick Room up or not due to the fact that Mandibuzz prefers to Swagger Dusclops rather than Aron.

Luckily, Walrein targets Aron and Dusclops gets Trick Room up through confusion.

Dusclops, come back! Go, Kangaskhan!
Aron used Endeavor, Mandibuzz goes down to 12 HP
Walrein used Sheer Cold, Kangaskhan avoids it
Mandibuzz used Punishment, doing nothing to Kangaskhan
Kangaskhan used Fake Out, Mandibuzz faints
Aron used Endeavor, Walrein goes down to 12 HP
Walrein used Fissure, Sturdy blocks it
Garcon Porter sents out Braviary
Switching Dusclops out was a risky play but I still feel like it was the right thing to do since it was confused. I need the Mandibuzz to be removed so I faint it with Fake Out while Aron connects an Endeavor on Walrein.

I don't like the position I'm in since Walrein can do two things: Attack or Rest. Since Walrein is ''faster'' than Kangaskhan I need to Sucker Punch it if I think it's going to attack. I've seen it select Rest multiple times when it was down to 12 HP so I decide to try and hit it with a Double-Edge:

Aron used Endeavor, Braviary goes down to 12 HP
Walrein used Fissure, Kangaskhan faints..
Braviary used SuperPower, Aron restores through Berry Juice
Go, Dusclops!
After that turn I'm in the last turn of Trick Room. I am absolutely 100% confident that Walrein will go for Rest this turn and if it manages to do so, I'm in a really bad position. If Dusclops doesn't connect a Night Shade, it will get back to full and start throwing Fissure's/Sheer Cold's at me. After this turn Braviary will be at -2/-2 as I know it will go for SuperPower again, so I don't really care about that.

Aron used Swagger! Walrein got confused
Dusclops used Night Shade! Walrein avoids
Walrein is confused, It hurt itself in confusion!

Braviary used SuperPower, Aron goes down to 1 HP
The twisted dimensions returned to normal
Now that right there, is why I run Swagger on my little friend named ''Jughead''.

Hey guys, quick question on a triples team. I have an ongoing streak with a team based around an Eruption Typhlosion. The question is on coverage by Typhlosion. Currently my set is as follows:

Typhlosion @ Charcoal
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Extrasensory
- Protect

Should I change Extrasensory to Focus Blast for better coverage? The above set is pretty much walled by Heatran. Also, should I change Heat Wave to Flamethrower? Cause Wide Guard user can also stop me cold. My 2 other starting members are Mat Block Greninja with 3 attacks (Dark Pulse, Ice Beam, Grass Knot), and Tailwind Talonflame with Sunny Day and 2 attacks (Brave Bird, Flare Blitz). I run just enough speed EV on Talonflame to outspeed my own Typhlosion so that Talonflame can set up Sunny Day first before Typhlosion Erupts. Also under Tailwind, Typhlosion with 151 speed out speeds the entire Maison (I run 152 speed on my Talonflame).

My backups are: Mega Gardy with Hyper Voice, Metal Coat Scizor and AV Conkeldurr.

Any inputs about the team such as threats and possible improvements from you guys are deeply appreciated : )

And this team was inspired by a NoCheese post a few pages back which I thought I'd experiment with.

Last edited:

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, quick question on a triples team. I have an ongoing streak with a team based around an Eruption Typhlosion. The question is on coverage by Typhlosion. Currently my set is as follows:

Typhlosion @ Charcoal
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Extrasensory
- Protect

Should I change Extrasensory to Focus Blast for better coverage? The above set is pretty much walled by Heatran. Also, should I change Heat Wave to Flamethrower? Cause Wide Guard user can also stop me cold. My 2 other starting members are Mat Block Greninja with 3 attacks (Dark Pulse, Ice Beam, Grass Knot), and Tailwind Talonflame with Sunny Day and 2 attacks (Brave Bird, Flare Blitz). I run just enough speed EV on Talonflame to outspeed my own Typhlosion so that Talonflame can set up Sunny Day first before Typhlosion Erupts. Also under Tailwind, Typhlosion with 151 speed out speeds the entire Maison (I run 152 speed on my Talonflame).

My backups are: Mega Gardy with Hyper Voice, Metal Coat Scizor and AV Conkeldurr.

Any inputs about the team such as threats and possible improvements from you guys are deeply appreciated : )

And this team was inspired by a NoCheese post a few pages back which I thought I'd experiment with.
HP Ground is the best coverage move for Typhlosion and Entei in my opinion. It hits every Flash Fire user for decent damage, especially Heatran. Focus Blast is massively inaccurate and Extrasensory covers very little with resisted 75% Eruption dealing more damage than it already.

I'd prefer Flamethrower as the secondary Fire move over Heat Wave for both accuracy and Wide Guard, but Solar Beam could also be a coverage option with Sunny Day support.

Does Typhlosion need that much Speed under Tailwind? 151 sounds like you're trying to outspeed Aerodactyl1 (Choice Scarf) under Tailwind, but that set doesn't appear past battle 40.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Typhlosion @ Charcoal
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Extrasensory
- Protect
If you badly want the Heatran coverage, my suspicion is that like Turskain said, Hidden Power Ground is the better bet. But I suspect you can get away without it so long as your teammates are able to handle Heatran. And if you are going Sunny Day, definitely give Solar Beam a try.

But more importantly, best of luck! I'm quite eager to see how the team does.

Merry Christmas, all!!

HP Ground is the best coverage move for Typhlosion and Entei in my opinion. It hits every Flash Fire user for decent damage, especially Heatran. Focus Blast is massively inaccurate and Extrasensory covers very little with resisted 75% Eruption dealing more damage than it already.

I'd prefer Flamethrower as the secondary Fire move over Heat Wave for both accuracy and Wide Guard, but Solar Beam could also be a coverage option with Sunny Day support.

Does Typhlosion need that much Speed under Tailwind? 151 sounds like you're trying to outspeed Aerodactyl1 (Choice Scarf) under Tailwind, but that set doesn't appear past battle 40.
Thx for the input turskain and NoCheese : ) Looks like I'll try to re-breed my Typhlosion and Gardy and go with you guys' suggestions going for HP Ground over Focus Blast (though it's a pity in regards to Gardy cause it is a shiny I got from a trade, and the black gown just looks super cool).

And I'm past the 150 mark with this team. Eruption in the sun is pretty ridiculous. Going with 151 speed on Typhlosion was mainly my paranoia early on about being outsped by a huge threat of Aerodactyl (especially if it's placed in the center position). I think I've encountered one without even realising it. I just go Mat Block on Greninja, Protect on Typhlosion, Tailwind on Talonflame, and sacrificing Talonflame in the process. Of course if it flinches Greninja I'll be in a whole lot of trouble cause then I might be down 6-4. But with Tailwind in place, Mega Gardy can come in and fire off Hyper Voices, or Scizor can BP.

Anyways, I'll rebreed the 2 mons first for HP Ground over Focus Blast, then continue with the streak. First I'll need an HP Ground Ditto though. You guys have any idea where I might find one?

I just want to get 50 battles to fight Wally. Is Super Triples the easiest and quickest way? I'm thinking a team of Greninja/Mega-Blastoise/Talonflame/filler? Greninja/Aron/Garchomp/filler?
Triples is the easiest format for long winning streaks but Singles is definitely the fastest to get to 50+. Use M-Kangaskhan as your lead, pair it with Sash Gengar and anything that can stall and you're good to go. You'll sweep at least 80% of all your opponents with just Kangaskhan alone. The matches are much quicker than in any other format, especially since most of them will be just Power-Up Punch + Return + Return + Return and you're done.

I posted this in Wi-Fi but barely discovered this thread; here goes:

What's up with the Battle Maison Pokemon? I'm running a Kangaskhan with a spread of 52 HP / 166 Atk / 36 Def / 4 SDef / 252 Spd. Apparently a +6 return can't KO a Nidoking... I've noticed that the Pokemon there are extremely bulky. I ran this calc:

+6 166 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Nidoking: 406-478 (215.9 - 254.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Both Pokemon set to level 50 and Doubles. Seriously though, why can Nidoking survive this in game, when it shouldn't according to this calc?

EDIT: My Kangaskhan isn't at max happiness... Oops.

Last edited:

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
So at the moment, just passed 521 in Super Doubles and still going but wanted to post team details since I didn't really do so in my last post.

So the team was my battle spot doubles team for seasons 5 and 6 and season 6 special, and I just wanted to grind BP in the maison quickly so I brought over this team. I didn't change anything to fit the maison better, but I don't think I would've changed anything other than Gardevoir's 4th move even though Substitute has been pretty good in some games.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Modest
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Substitute
- Protect

Really standard set and nails a lot of the maison sets pretty well. Bringing Mega Gardevoir as my mega did mean I was gonna run into a lot of issues with the likes of Steel and Fire types, which did cause a kill to my last run and almost a death to this run a few times. I don't think there's really much to explain here since 99% of the time Gardevoir is either using Hyper Voice or Protect. I have considered changing up the moveset to Psyshock > Psychic to help with my Blissey and Vest Magnezone MU, but I figured I'd rather keep the team the same in this one streak.

Blastoise @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Torrent
Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 4 SpA / 92 SpD / 20 Spe
- Follow Me
- Protect
- Scald
- Icy Wind

The teams MVP, too bad it's no longer usable in VGC. The Rocky Helmet was just always there on battle spot to help me with my Kangaskhan MU, but I kept it here because I really don't like much other items on it except maybe Lum or Sitrus(Already taken). Follow Me, Icy Wind, and the Water typing were the big points of using Blastoise over anything else really. Blastoise's bulk is pretty great in that anything that it redirects in the maison that would OHKO Mega Gardevoir and takes them with no problem at all. It only gets kinda scary when facing down things like Magnezone where I pretty much have to guess who it's gonna gun after. Though it can take a non-critical hit from just about anything in the maison baring Specs Thundurus Thunderbolt or Specs Serperior Leaf Storm. Icy Wind is great speed control for Mega Gardevoir and Scizor too, so that's always appreciated. Scald is definitely the STAB of choice for a bulky water type thanks to that nice 30% burn which can come in handy a lot.

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
Modest
EVs: 220 HP / 4 Def / 108 SpA / 84 SpD / 92 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Roost

Zapdos has been the king of clutch throughout this entire run. Tailwind support, dealing with what Mega Gardevoir couldn't, and Roost stalling have been amazing elements to the team. Though the set really has nothing to do against Flygon, Garchomp, Swampert, etc it deals well with almost everything else pretty well, barring crits that ended my last run with it. Not really much to say here, but without Zapdos my Steel-type MU is so god awful as you guys can probably tell.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 84 Spe
- Bullet Punch
- Feint
- Bug Bite
- Protect

My only physical attacker on the team, which is good and bad at times. I was never really the biggest fan of Scizor before until I tried the LO set used by R Inanimate in VGC 2014. The LO boost does everything I ever wanted to do with it from OHKOing the non-Sash Terrakion set to not missing out on Bug Bite KOs which really sucked sometimes. Just packing that strong priority to clean up where Mega Gardevoir and Blastoise left off is enough to make Scizor a great team member. It really does suck that since Scizor is my only physical attacker, Blissey gets a bit worse to deal with. Even though Blissey is mostly operated by luck with Minimize, I've had battles become too close thanks to missing 10 Bug Bites on the fat blob.

So yea that's the team. I'll be sure to post when I finally lose it, but so far I've gotten some good lucky breaks to keep it going. I'll post more thoughts on the run then too, but right now I'm just drawing a blank. I don't know if I need to post proof since this streak won't be added yet anyway, but I did take this pic after breaking 500. Merry Christmas all, and good luck on your runs n_n

The most recent xlsx spreadsheet is giving me a "file damaged" error message when trying to open it in Excel 2007. Any hints?

EDIT: Downloading the .obs version and then importing that into google drive seems to be a workaround for the time being.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm trying to get my berries in XY (didn't know they were a thing before haha) and went in triples with a sturdy-aron-in-center team. I'm having trouble deciding on a last poke, so I was wondering if it was kosher to ask for a bit of help now that I'm getting close to 100 wins? (OP doesn't mention whether to do so or not, I hope I'm not effing up)

I'm running:

AzumarillSitrus Berry
Huge Power
Belly Drum
Superpower
Aqua Jet
Rough Play

Aron@Berry Juice

Sturdy
Toxic
Endeavor
Protect
Swagger

Greninja@Life Orb
Protean
Mat Block
Ice Beam
Scald
Extrasensory

Up to here it's more or less the same idea as a team R Inanimate's posted in the first few pages: Greninja uses mat block, letting Azumarill set-up in peace, Aron draws AI's attention and throws endeavors at pokes I might have trouble OHKOing otherwise. Extrasensory for Greninja to help with poison types that threaten Azumarill.

For the other three I had to go with what I had in hand, so I'm not sure how well it'll stack up with the rest of the maison (past battle 60-70 I mean):

Talonflame@Sharp Beak
Gale Wings
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Roost
Swords Dance

Kangaskhan@Kangaskhanite
Scrappy
Return
Fake Out
Power-up Punch
Sucker Punch

MegaKanga is in the team just because he's so OP. Fake Out helps a lot in triples, and then he's just great at killing things. Talonflame is great for long distance sniping, and late in the battle, when he might be able to setup behind another poke. Priority is also great, and he serves more or less the same role Azumarill does.

-------------------

For the last spot I've run both an Assault Vest Goodra (sp.A is kind of underwhelming?) and Choice Scarf Gardevoir (better offensively but super frail), but neither really convinces me they won't be dead weight later on (I don't really know either, I don't have any really long streak). I still have trouble with fast electric users like Jolteon or Manectric (as well as fast poison users like Crobat) who get to Azumarill before Greninja can use mat block, and then can resist Talonflame's priority and OHKO right back with thunderbolt or discharge. And I haven't even gotten to the scary thunduruses and latiosi yet!

Anyhoo, any help is appreciated. Again, I hope asking for team help is kosher.

I just beat the Chatelaines in Super Multis with Steven as my partner. The team is pretty flawed and actually lost horribly on battle 51, but I just want to post it anyway. Also I forgot to save the battle video for the Chatelaine fight =(

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Adamant, 252 Attack/252 Speed/6 HP
Earthquake
Return
U-turn
Wild Charge

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Jolly, 252 Attack/252 Speed/6 HP
Return
Power-Up Punch
Earthquake
Crunch

My goal was just to power through everything before they had a chance to counter me. I led with Diggersby with Steven's Aerodactyl so I could spam Earthquake, or Return if there were Ground resistances or specific things that needed to be picked off first. Kangaskhan was in the back to clean up. I know the benefits of Sucker Punch but I always preferred Crunch in the Maison (ever since XY) because I don't like not being able to touch certain ghosts.

The Chatelaines led with Virizion and Landorus. Landorus luckily missed Focus Blast before dying to a Rock Slide and Return. Thundurus and Virizion easily went down to Return with extra damage from Aerodactyl's attacks. Then Cobalion came out and I just hit it with Return so Diggersby could die, but Steven's Metagross finished it with Hammer Arm before Kangaskhan even needed to be sent out.

This team has a ton of threats and is definitely not sustainable for a long streak, but it was fun beating the Chatelaines with a team that I was just going to "play until I lose".

Right now, I'm redoing the trophies and re-capturing old glories. And once I'm done with that, I will be going back to the Megamence doubles team (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-110#post-5935340) and continue the streak from 51...

Just took out 50 wins in ORAS Singles. For the 50th battle, I just did Focus Sash Greninja + 2 other random Pokemon for instant ribbon.

For the rest of the fights, I had the following guys from 1-49, which is essentially a slightly modified version of my X&Y singles team:

Typhlosion (Modest, Blaze, Choice Scarf)
Eruption, Flamethrower, Focus Blast, Extrasensory

Azumarill (Adamant, Huge Power, Choice Band)
Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Superpower, Play Rough

Kangaskhan (Jolly, Scrappy, Kangaskhanite)
Sucker Punch, Return, Earthquake, Power-up Punch

The strategy is pretty simple. Hit the button for Eruption. If it's impending rocks or quake, just switch in Azumarill. Flamethrower is there so Typhlosion still has good STAB even after being damaged for a bit. Kangaskhan is at the back to do mop-up duty.

So far I didn't have much of a problem with this.

Focus Sash Hypnosis Gengar was a particularly annoying problem that Mega Kangaskhan couldn't touch at all--though unevolved, it was a 55% chance for Gengar's Hypnosis to hit and 45% chance that Return will take it down to 1HP, so there's the coin flip there. Other than that one of Azumarill or Typhlosion would be forced to go to sleep, switch out to the other to "tank" a Dream Eater, then finish it. For this reason, I usually prefer Kanga in the back even if Typhlosion tends to have a bad matchup with most Veterans trainers due to the typings of the legends being sent out.

Hey guys, I'm trying to get my berries in XY (didn't know they were a thing before haha) and went in triples with a sturdy-aron-in-center team. I'm having trouble deciding on a last poke, so I was wondering if it was kosher to ask for a bit of help now that I'm getting close to 100 wins? (OP doesn't mention whether to do so or not, I hope I'm not effing up)...
Well first up generally, you could use more protect. Next is that you might consider some multi-hitting area moves. Finally, I would add Sandstorm in it somewhere so it would KO most enemies that you Endeavor with Sandstorm damage.

If I may I think Typhlosion, Heat Wave Chandelure or Heat Wave Zapdos instead of Talonflame, and your last member is Tyranitar.

Last edited:
My Super Singles run is snapped at 242 straight wins. I lost to that classic run killer, not paying attention at all. Do not try to setup with Scizor vs last poke, offensive Suicune!

Here is my loss- 7GDW-WWWW-WWWN-KRHE.

To anyone who might want to use this team, Extrasensory might be good over Dark Pulse on Greninja.

I'm working on my Triples team now after hitting 50 in Super Singles, and I have a bit of a dumb question since I've never used Mat Block before.

If Greninja Mat Blocks turn 1 and an adjacent ally, say Garchomp for example, uses Earthquake - Mat Block prevents Earthquake from damaging my team, right?

I'm working on my Triples team now after hitting 50 in Super Singles, and I have a bit of a dumb question since I've never used Mat Block before.

If Greninja Mat Blocks turn 1 and an adjacent ally, say Garchomp for example, uses Earthquake - Mat Block prevents Earthquake from damaging my team, right?
Yes, no damage will be taken. But status moves still work on you.

ORAS Rotation is DONE!

I just re-cycled the old team at (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-112#post-5942843) except with a new Dragonite and new Kangaskhan!

Rotation team: (changes from the last time in bold)
*Mega Kangaskhan (Jolly, Scrappy, Kangaskhanite) - Power-up Punch, Sucker Punch, Earthquake, Return
Florges (Bold, Flower Veil, Leftovers) 252 HP 252 Def 4 SpD - Misty Terrain, Aromatherapy, Wish, Moonblast
Azumarill (Adamant, Huge Power, Assault Vest) - Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Superpower, Play Rough
*Dragonite (Adamant, Multiscale, Weakness Policy) - Protect, Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Dragon Dance

The strat is the same as last time. Misty Terrain to prevent statuses, Florges does Wish passing to heal teammates particularly to refresh Dragonite's Multiscale.

Unlike the last time which was EZ mode, the Chatelaine battle started off poorly with Florges getting criticaled and one-shot, but got paid back by a one-shot with Play Rough on Morgan's Latias. Several interesting switches later Virizion is taken out with a +2 Dragon Claw, leaving everyone remaining vulnerable to Azumarill who closes it out.

Will I continue this streak? Maybe after I lose at continuing Doubles after I get all the trophies again. This seems to be an interesting and Rotation-competitive team however, and the new tweaks might take me further than I did before in X&Y (104).

Last edited:
*Dragonite (Adamant, Multiscale, Weakness Policy) - Protect, Earthquake, Outrage, Dragon Dance

Several interesting switches later Virizion is taken out with a +2 Dragon Claw, leaving everyone remaining vulnerable to Azumarill who closes it out.
I'm a bit confused... your Dragonite has Outrage or Dragon Claw?

--- -- --- -- ---
--- -- --- -- ---

I'm working on Super Multis with a friend (XY Maison), but we're looking for better coverage 'mons in the back.
Current team:

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoomite #Timid **Doomy
Ability: Unnerve (non-Mega) / Solar Power (Mega)
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Stats (after ME): 151/99/110/192/110/183
- Heat Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb

This is my lead. I choose it because I always liked Houndoom since Silver and nobody else here (1° post) gave it a try.
Faster than Charizard after ME (and every 110 base Speed 'mons), great coverage, he work really good with Charizard and got free Solar Power boost.
I don't always Mega-Evo on Turn1, specially when I think Unnerve can be helpful.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y #Timid
Ability: Blaze (non-Mega) / Drought (Mega)
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 SDef
Stats: 153/111/98/211/136/167
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Charizard-Y is my friend's lead. Nothing to say about it, just standard Chary-Y.
Flamethrower is better than Heat Wave for some reasons: has it on Houndoom, can miss, spread moves deal 75% damage, etc.
Air Slash can be a choice over Dragon Pulse, but I tried it on "normal" Doubles and agree with turskain:
Flamethrower and Solarbeam are essential; for the third move, Dragon Pulse is the best fit as it hits dragons. Air Slash is inaccurate and only useful for hitting Fire/Fightings and Flash Fire users, since it only deals ~10% more damage than resisted Flamethrower. If you seriously needed a Flying STAB I'd consider Hidden Power Flying over Air Slash just to avoid having it miss.

Latias @ Assault Vest #Timid
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Stats: 156/90/110/162/150/178 -- (effective SDef holding Assault Vest: 225)
- Psyshock
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

My second pkmn is Latias. She can cover both Houndoom and Charizard thanks to her Ground-Immunity, Fight, Water and Electric resistances.
She's an excellent all-in-one pkmn having great Bulk, Speed, Power and capable to deal Physical damage thanks to Psyshock. I prefer LatiAs over LatiOs 'cause she has better bulk.
I'm thinking about changing Thunderbolt and/or Ice Beam. Maybe Shadows Ball can be useful?

Aegislash @ Leftovers #Adamant?
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Last one is standard Aegislash, BUT we're still wondering who can fit better.
Need something to cover Charizard (especially against Rock moves) and a Physical attacker. We've tried Garchomp too, but two Dragons seems bad.
Latias can be changed, too.
You guys got some advice?

p.s. sorry for my bad English, I'm Italian XD

Last edited:
Forgot to change that one dude, a holdover from the previous Dragonite. Thanks for pointing it out. Fix'd! :heart:

As for yer back row, yeah I think Aegislash is suspect with the sun making it worse for it. How about a water or rock type instead to resist opposing fire attacks? Keldeo would've worked well if it was allowed. My vote for the Aegislash replacement is Rhyperior, who resists rock and fire, while the sun weakens its weakness against water; and I expect your fire types to beat opposing grass types.

Last edited:
I personally use a team comprising Latios, Milotic and Talonflame. It works pretty well and won 50 streaks for me in XY until some silly crit happens.

Latios @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Sp Atk/ 252 Speed/ 4 Def
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt

Milotic @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/ 200 Def/ 56 Sp Def
- Scald
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Talonflame Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Speed/ 4 Def
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U Turn
- Tailwind

Straightforward line-up with a special attacker, physical attacker and a wall of sorts. Rest Talk milotic is very bulky and isn't afraid of those toxic stallers in the maison. Latios' has optimal coverage against most threats and talonflame supplements the trio with priority and pivoting. Overall, it has worked well!

Hey, guys! I'm considering picking up ORAS on my 3DS, but I'm curious about one thing. Can you actually save in between battles on Super Multi with a friend? So that you can build your streak over a few weeks?

Thanks a bunch for any answers you can give me!

Battle Maison Super Doubles: 1.296 wins

Dusclops
(F) @ Eviolite ** Redrum

Nature: Relaxed
Trait: Frisk
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/00
EVs: 252 HP/126 Def/132 Sp.Def
Lv. 50 stats: 147/90/273/71/250/27
Moveset: Trick Room/Foresight/Night Shade/Brick Break

Aron (M) @ Berry Juice ** ''Jughead''

Nature: Adamant
Trait: Sturdy
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EVs: Zero
Lv. 1 stats: 12/6/7/4/6/5
Moveset: Protect/Endeavor/Swagger/Toxic

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite ** Broadway

Nature: Brave
Trait: Scrappy/Parental Bond
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Sp.Def
Lv. 50 (mega) stats: 212/194/120/80/121/94
Moveset: Fake Out/Double-Edge/Sucker Punch/Rock Slide

Conkeldurr (M) @ Assault Vest ** Durrr

Nature: Brave
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 108 HP/252 Atk/6 Def/144 Sp.Def
Lv. 50 stats: 194/211/116/75/154/45
Moveset: Drain Punch/Knock Off/Ice Punch/Mach Punch

The amount of bad luck i've had this run is unbelievable.

Battle 1.012: AY5W-WWWW-WWWN-YNWH, Vs. Walrein/Mandibuzz/Braviary/Starmie
Battle 1.034: JDHW-WWWW-WWWZ-DSRZ, Vs. Walrein/Drapion/Gallade/Metagross
Battle 1.056: XUFW-WWWW-WWWZ-DTWZ, Vs. Walrein/Tentacruel/Greninja/Abomasnow
Battle 1.297: Q5ZG-WWWW-WWWZ-DT4W, Vs. Walrein/Barbaracle/Ferrothorn/Cradily

First, I get to 1.000+ for the second time and then the AI throws 3 Walrein4's at me in 44 battles. The team was unchanged from the 1.748 run. I'll probably slash Drain Punch in over Rock Slide on Kangaskhan, or maybe even Fire Punch.

NoCheese, this one may be listed once you update :).

Hi everyone, I just reached a 70 streak on Battle Maison Singles. (27/12/2014)
By the way this Record was in ORAS.

70 streak Proof: 3RKG-WWWW-WWWZ-DQNX
101 streak Proof : M3FW-WWWW-WWWZ-GGDC (27/12/2014)
(Forgot to save the 100th battle so I saved the 101)

My team set:

Durant (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Truant
Nature: Jolly
IVs: Flawless
EVs: 172 / 0 / 108 / 0 / 0 / 228
~ Entrainment
~ Protect
~ X-Scissor
~ Iron Head

Cloyster @ Focus Sash (#OnixLover)
Ability: Skill Link
Nature: Jolly
IVs: 31/31/31/X/X/31
EVs: 4 / 252 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 252
~ Protect
~ Shell Smash
~ Icicle Spear
~ Rock Blast

Salamance @ Salamencite (Le Croissant)
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Naive
IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/31
EVs: 4 / 252 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 252
~ Dragon Dance
~ Return
~ Earthquake
~ Protect

Using the Durant Strategy, Sweep with Salamance. If something bad happens, I use my backup (Cloyster) to try to save me from losing.
Pretty straight forward Plan. Aiming for 1000+. ~Ongoing streak~

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)