Pokémon Metagross

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a Smell Smash Pass on my Mega Cross, but is Mega Gross a better cleaner with +2/+2/+2 ? Best build is still Zen Headbutt / Ice Punch / Hammer Arm
/ Grass Knot ?

Max invested HP fire doesn't even guarantee a 2HKO on ferro
252 SpA Mega Metagross Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 176-208 (50 - 59%) -- 67.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

HP fire is just redundant, it's super weak, and hammer arm has much more power, is tough claws boosted, and beats all the threats you already mentioned (skarm, ferro).

Well you are right, I guess I had just overstimated Metagross' SAtk then. I thought 105 base was enough for make HP Fire a worthy option.

Anyway, Antihaxxer: I would always use Meteor Smash just because it's Metagross' strongest move lol and that lets you to do ton of damages even if you don't manage to pass the stats boost to Metagross. Maybe you can drop out Grass Knot as Quagsire isn't so common atm and you need much more all the other three moves.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Grass Knot isn't for Quagsire. It's for hitting Slowbro and Mega-Slowbro first and foremost, and also hits Hippowdon and Mega-Swapert. Hitting Quagsire is just a bonus really.

I was mainly thinking about Quagsire because we were talking about SmashPass and it ignores the boosts with Unaware but yeh it lets you to bypass Slowbro and Mega Slowbro as well (even if, especially the latter isn't used much though) but you don't need it too much for Hippowdon and Swampert I guess as with a little prior damage they are both OHKO'd by Meteor Smash and Zen Headbutt at +2 respectively.

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 298-352 (70.9 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swampert: 289-342 (84.7 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

i have always found metagross to be a powerful threat, before gen 6 its only real threat was fire types that could outrun it (almost all of them)

however as of gen 6 it was nerfed a bit, aegislash with shadow sneak could stop a metagross with ease due to steel now being neutral to ghost, dark also became an issue with greninja

my XY build for metagross focused mainly on taking hits while boosting with agility and power-up-punch, then unleashing massive damage at a high speed

its moves are meteor mash, earthquake, power-up-punch, and agility

before ORAS i used the iron plate as its item, that along with STAB doubled meteor mashes already great power

now, i do realize that this move set causes an issue with the whirlwind skarmory build, but i use charizard as its counter

EVs are 36/252/18/0/108/96, adamant nature

it was able to survive 2 EQs from my friends garchomp (neither my metagross or her garchomp mega evolved) that was IV bread, that along with that the only thing that i seem to encounter that can OHKO it [psychically] are those annoying revenge killer weaviles

with the addition of its mega evolution and the great boost of speed i normally only need 1 agility to outrun my oppenets, sometimes i dont even need it (im considering getting rid of agility, but it still needs more testing)

tough claws along with the boosted attack give its meteor mash more of a power boost than the iron plate would; it also helps EQ, so the mega stone is worth it

altogether i think that mega metagross is a great addition to OU, and i hope to see a comback in its popularity

Last edited:
You better use another move instead of PuP because you don't need much the Attack boost because it hits hard even at +0 thanks to Tough Claw and its good Attack stat. You should also always run Zen Headbutt imo, because it's STAB and allows to hit Rotom-W and bulky waters mainly who otherwise walls you. You can use EQ / Hammer Arm / Ice Punch in the last slot which are all good options as the OP suggests, even if personally I prefer Hammer Arm because be walled by Skarmory and Ferrothorn is annoying, plus it still hits hard things like Heatran, Magnezone and other Steel-type mons. Welcome to Smogon, hope I helped somewhat.

0- Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 18 Def Mega Metagross: 152-180 (49 - 58%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO

Pretty sure your friend messed up somewhere. That's with 0 IVs EV and a negative attack nature.
ok after seeing the math it did seem messed up, i watched the battle video and my memory was to fault, it would TAKE 2 hits to kill, not survive 2 hits

sorry about that, my memory is not my best aspect

however if i am correct, your math is saying the the worst possible garchomp for using EQ would have a 95.3 chance to 2hko

if the garchomp would have survived it would have 2HKOd my metagross, but as you can see its doing more than 58% damage (i would guess about 70-75%)

so yeah, i think that it was due to my faulty memory, not the best start to being on a competitive fourm, but a lesson well learned

double check my stuff before i post it!

the battle video is RRJW-WWWW-WWWP-JA9D if you want to see for yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)