RU Player of the Week 6: Afro Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
EonX / Molk / SilentVerse / atomicllamas / -Tsunami-

The interview you've all been waiting for......and Kim Jong Un approved!
Hello and welcome to Player of the Week. This thread hopes to increase the visibility of prominent RU players to the community and the outside world while promoting both users and the strategies that they find to be effective in the metagame. If there is someone you would like to see interviewed, feel free to drop me a PM.

Afro Smash
Favorite Pokemon: Bouffalant/Avalugg
Most known for: "Incredible tournament success, Britsh charm, advocating racial equality, only losing to counterteams and getting muted by Reyscarface on smogtours" (and of course, his "In the Mindset" video)
Favorite Playstyle: Balance
Most used Pokemon: Mega Abomasnow/Gligar
Leer: When did you start competitve Pokemon battling?
Afro Smash: Back in 2012 on PO, started of a scrub as everyone does, building Mono_Ice Hail teams in NU. But soon became a ladder lord, droppin everyone on their necks, and eventually went on to win 3 major tournaments and generally be one of the best lower tier players ever haha.

Leer: You won the first XY RUgged Mountain, how was that?
Afro Smash: Easy, made it to the top on my first try and hoofed wepwn (FAJI) back down when he tried to take my spot, but it was also really fun, watching double01 get bodied over and over, showing the world the power of Zoroark/Gurdurr/Av Eel, and of course my legendary victory post. Then watching everyone beg for Zoroark to be banned because I was too good with it haha.

Leer: What's your favorite part of RU?
Afro Smash: Watching New Breed try to get me off council. Aside from that I like the variety of viable mons and team styles available, allows for a lot of diversity and creativity.

Leer: Which RU Pokemon would say is underrated, and which would you say is overrated?
Afro Smash: AURORUS, this thing's a lord, one Rock Polish and the game is over. Also Jellicent, stall breaking, status spreading, immunities, great special bulk, deserves more use.

As for overrated I'd have to say Escavalier, its typing and Assault Vest does make it a good check to a fair few things, however I've always found it requires wish support to not be worn down too easily, and its power is nothing too notable without a choice band. And its 4x weakness can make it liable to being lured.

Leer: How does PO's LU compare to RU? How do the two communites compare?
Afro Smash: They're pretty different, something I often see is Smogon users saying 'you have x Pokemon in LU rofl must be balanced!!!' just because it would be broken in RU, when they have 0 experience/understanding of the metagame. I'd say the mons in LU are generally more powerful than RU, however that doesn't stop it being as balanced.

As for communities, the difference is a community exists for RU. PO already has a vastly smaller playerbase than PS!, and LU isn't the most popular tier, so its much smaller but that also makes it more close knit, so both have their good points.

Leer: If you signed up for SPL, how much do you think you would sell for at auction?
Afro Smash: Seeing as new breed went for like 18k I'd have to assume around 36k since I'm twice the player he is haha.

Nah I'd say 18-20k.

Leer: When will you make another "In the mindset?"
Afro Smash: Well it was supposed to be before Christmas, but whenever I try to record my gf's like 'no Alan come have sex with me' or wepwn's like 'no Alan come body me in smash' so I've been strapped for time, it might be out tonight, if not then sometime before the new year.

I promise.

Leer: What advice do you have for new players?
Afro Smash: Don't be put off by elitist (BAN ME PLEASE) who think they can look down on you because they have a badge next to their name.

Ladder a lot to hone skills, get your name out there, and gain metagame knowledge. Then lurk a lot on forums to learn posting etiquette and get known as a good and knowledgeable poster.

Make friends, the more liked you are the more likely people are to listen to you, and the more likely you are to get picked for tournaments. This generally involves not being annoying/a twat.

If you cant make friends then just get really good and people will be willing to take ur shitty personality for the success you bring.

If you have any additional questions for Alan, you can ask him!
What did you think about this week's interview? And again, if there's a player you want see interviewed, feel free to PM me.

what r ur thoughts on user: FAJI's nose, or significant lack thereof?
would you consider user: chimpact to be the best player on youtube, or just the best player overall?
when pwn was bought for 6k or w.e, did you too consider that to be a little pricey for a player that's gonna need ghosting the entire season?
could u draw me a portrait? i was blown away by ur jamvad sketch

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Do you remember that one time where i 6-0ed you with a bisharp back in BW LU?

Also, isn't it funny to think that Bisharp was NU at one point on PO when it's high OU on both smogon and PO now?

Last edited:
what r ur thoughts on user: FAJI's nose, or significant lack thereof?
I'm glad it doesnt make him too insecure to snap himself gettin jive to rap songs.

would you consider user: chimpact to be the best player on youtube, or just the best player overall?
Has to be best player overall, his showdown lives showcase nothing but the most stellar of plays. On that note he also has the best youtube content overall, dunno if i could have coped without him tellin me how to get money quick in oras haha.

when pwn was bought for 6k or w.e, did you too consider that to be a little pricey for a player that's gonna need ghosting the entire season?
Nah tbh when managers saw i hadnt signed up i knew they'd panick and start overpaying for any old garbage, so this and new breeds price i saw comin from a mile away

could u draw me a portrait? i was blown away by ur jamvad sketch
Jus tell me what you want me to draw ma nigga
can u explain man
Just toughening up my buddies for the real world haha
Where they'll need to accept whites are superior

Do you remember that one time where i 6-0ed you with a bisharp back in BW LU?
Never happened.

Also, isn't it funny to think that Bisharp was NU at one point on PO when it's high OU on both smogon and PO now?
Not funny, just aids, also shows how good a tier leader Casedvictory was haha.

Why does your girl lust for me, and how does that make you feel?
Wasn't aware my gf lusted for smelly wheelchair bound fucks in polka dot durags. If she ain't lustin for trey songz ugly ass, she definitely aint lustin for you.

What led you to PS! from PO?
Someone telling me to sign up for SPL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)