Krilowatt

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Krilowatt
QC: 3/3 (Animus Majulous, HeaLnDeaL, jas61292)
GP: 2/2 (Weebl, Antemortem)

Overview
########

Krilowatt is the epitome of versatility. It possesses the ability to be either a physical or special attacker, and it sits at a decently fast base 105 Speed, making it a solid sweeper. It possesses an amazing ability in Magic Guard, which blocks all indirect damage, and it has a solid defensive typing that leaves it with just 2 weaknesses. Couple that with its high 151 / 73 / 74 bulk, and Krilowatt is not easy to take down. It also has nearly perfect neutral coverage between its STAB and Ice-, Fighting- and Ground-type moves, being able to land neutral damage on every Pokemon except for Shedinja. Its options are not limited to all-out offense, either; it can effectively utilize many other sets to catch opponents off guard.

Although Krilowatt is a jack of all trades, it is a master of none. It often doesn't hit hard enough with only base 84 Attack and base 83 Special Attack, so it must hold a Life Orb to be used offensively. It also lacks reliable recovery moves, and has but a few status moves to take advantage of. Finally, despite the ability to fit multiple niches, it sometimes finds itself outclassed. Even so, Krilowatt is a solid Pokemon that can find a home on nearly any team depending on what is needed.

Special Attacker
########
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Surf
move 2: Thunderbolt / Discharge
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Earth Power / Earthquake
ability: Magic Guard
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid / Naive

Moves
========

Surf is Krilowatt's reliable Water-type STAB attack, while Thunderbolt and Discharge provide it with Electric-type STAB moves. Thunderbolt has more immediate power, while Discharge has a higher chance to inflict paralysis, so both are equally viable choices. Ice Beam gives this set BoltBeam coverage and hits the Grass-types that pack a STAB move super effective against Krilowatt. Earth Power and Earthquake provide Ground-type coverage, which is super effective on many things that Krilowatt would normally only hit neutrally. Earth Power is optimal with a fully invested Special Attack stat, but an uninvested Earthquake hits specially defensive variants of Mollux and Heatran better than a fully invested Earth Power does.

Set Details
========

Krilowatt can take advantage of Life Orb without receiving recoil damage thanks to Magic Guard, and it shoots its low 265 Special Attack up to 345. Magic Guard also means that Krilowatt doesn't need to worry about taking damage from a status effect or entry hazards. A Timid or Naive nature is necessary to get the jump on base 100 Speed Pokemon; Naive is the preferred nature if Krilowatt runs Earthquake over Earth Power, as you don't want to lower its Attack stat. The EV spread is standard for a special sweeper, though the 4 HP EVs can be dropped into Attack if Krilowatt runs Earthquake.

Usage Tips
========

Krilowatt is more of a fast late-game cleaner than a special wallbreaker, as its Special Attack is not great. You can, however, switch Krilowatt in at will without worrying about entry hazards or a stray Toxic or Will-O-Wisp. Even so, Krilowatt struggles mightily against special walls because of its inability to boost its Special Attack. Thus, you should try not to use Krilowatt until you eliminate all opposing special walls, as they can simply switch in and stifle momentum.

Team Options
========

Krilowatt is a great standalone Pokemon, so you don't need to build your team around it. You do, however, need physical attackers such as Cawmodore or Azumarill to get past special walls. A teammate that can tank Ground- and Grass-type attacks is nice; most Flying-types work well in this role. Pokemon that appreciate Krilowatt's ability to tank attacks make good teammates as well. Aurumoth in particular appreciates Krilowatt's resistance to Flying- and Fire-type moves. Gothitelle is great at trapping and eliminating staples of stall teams such as Chansey.

Physical Attacker
########
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Thunder Punch
move 3: Ice Punch / Ice Shard
move 4: Earthquake / Low Kick
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Though most Krilowatt are special attackers, its base Attack stat is right on par with its base Special Attack. Waterfall and Thunder Punch are Krilowatt's primary STAB attacks, while both Ice Punch and Ice Shard provide powerful Ice-type coverage. Ice Punch has a much higher immediate power, while Ice Shard provides Krilowatt with priority. Finally, Earthquake and Low Kick provide great secondary coverage. Earthquake is often more reliable because it has a set 100 Base Power, but Low Kick will hit certain checks to Krilowatt such as Kyurem-B and Ferrothorn harder than Earthquake can.

Set Details
========

Life Orb boosts Krilowatt's offensive presence, giving it an effective 347 Attack stat. Thanks to Magic Guard, it doesn't receive recoil from Life Orb. A Jolly nature is preferred to maximize Krilowatt's Speed. Alongside BoltBeam coverage, as well as a second STAB in Waterfall, choose Earthquake or Low Kick, depending on which coverage your team needs more.

Usage Tips
========

This set has the role of a late-game cleaner as opposed to a wallbreaker. Additionally, Will-O-Wisp is a problem for this set because Magic Guard does not prevent the Attack drop from a burn. You should also keep Krilowatt off the field as long as you can because most opponents expect it to be running a special set.

Team Options
========

Krilowatt is a great standalone Pokemon, so it does not need a lot of support. Special attackers can take on the physical walls that stop Krilowatt. Aurumoth, Volkraken, Stratagem, and Tomohawk work well in this role. Tomohawk has the added bonus of being able to switch in on the Ground- and Grass-type attacks that threaten Krilowatt. Aurumoth also has great synergy with Krilowatt and always appreciates Krilowatt's resistances to Flying- and Fire-type moves.

Other Options
########

Krilowatt can effectively run CounterCoat due to its very high HP and comparatively low Defense and Special Defense. Trace is an option against foes with powerful abilities such as Tomohawk, but it is fairly matchup-dependent and inferior to Magic Guard. Heart Swap can be hilarious against an Aurumoth, Cawmodore, or Mega Slowbro that attempts to set up, but it is also extremely matchup-dependent. Still, a set of Waterfall / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Heart Swap with a spread of 20 Atk / 44 Def / 192 SpA / 252 SpD, Leftovers, and a Naive nature can guarantee that Krilowatt can steal a Cawmodore's Belly Drum and take advantage of the Attack boost before being KOed. It can spread status with Toxic and Thunder Wave, but typically, stall-based Pokemon do that better. Additionally, Krilowatt struggles against most clerics such as Chansey and Sylveon, though moreso its special set than its physical set. It also learns Confuse Ray, so a parafusion set can be annoying to face, but it is completely unreliable.

Checks & Counters
########

**Dedicated Walls**: Krilowatt is not a wallbreaker, due to its somewhat low offensive stats and lack of a boosting move, so it struggles against dedicated walls.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Many bulky Grass-types can take an Ice Beam and retaliate with a super effective Grass-type move. In particular, Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn are great answers to Krilowatt.

**Fast Earthquake Users**: Pokemon with a powerful Earthquake such as Mega Charizard X can deal serious damage to Krilowatt. Fortunately, most Earthquake users are weak to at least one of its coverage moves.

**Setup Sweepers**: Krilowatt often cannot deal enough damage to KO stat boosters before they begin their sweep. In particular, most Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance users, such as Mega Charizard X and Aurumoth, respectively, are naturally slower than Krilowatt, thus rendering Heart Swap useless against them. After becoming faster, they can potentially KO Krilowatt and then proceed to sweep your team.

Last edited:
You need a mixed attacker set, and seriously, talk about the confuse ray set. While its probably the most gimmicky set alive, its still somewhat played and you should address that in the article somewhere. Otherwise the sets are fairly standard and good.

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You need a mixed attacker set, and seriously, talk about the confuse ray set. While its probably the most gimmicky set alive, its still somewhat played and you should address that in the article somewhere. Otherwise the sets are fairly standard and good.
Ok, I'll work on a mixed set. But I'd rather not make a parafusion set- as it is gimmicky, it really only merits an OO mention.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Agreeing with wh0s on Confuse Ray. We should be making these to show what is viable, not what is used. Confuse Ray is a terrible move and I think even mentioning it at all would be generous.

While I don't think a full Parafusion set is really worth mentioning, I'd at least specifically call out Thunder Wave as OO for both attacking sets. Krill generally wants all the coverage it can get, making it not ideal for slashing in, but Thunder Wave can be handy as a niche move, to cripple Set-Up Sweepers trying to boost on Krill's lackluster attack strength.

Empress

Thanks heartofgold. I simply forgot to include T-Wave under OO.

Also, I really don't know about a mixed set. Has anyone tried Mixed Krill, and is it viable enough to get its own set?

Never mind, now I know what Animus was referring to. The first set has been updated accordingly.

Last edited:
I would take out all mentions of gimmicky. Also, explain neutral coverage. Low kick, I think, can ohko colossoil... That makes it op, I didn't even know it got low kick. Stratagem is a good partner because together they can cover basically every type. Gothitelle also can remove checks.

Empress

I would take out all mentions of gimmicky. Also, explain neutral coverage. Low kick, I think, can ohko colossoil... That makes it op, I didn't even know it got low kick. Stratagem is a good partner because together they can cover basically every type. Gothitelle also can remove checks.
Done.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
papa said:
- Krilowatt has very few other options, as most of the other sets it can run are either outclassed or mediocre
*proceeds to list a horde of viable options*
Umm yeah... Krilo was designed to have lots of options, and I certainly believe that he does even to this day.

Empress

Umm yeah... Krilo was designed to have lots of options, and I certainly believe that he does even to this day.
Perhaps they are viable, but they're either outclassed by Krill's flagship sets or by other mons who do the jobs better. CounterCoat? Run Wobbuffet. Trace? Magic Guard is better 99% of the time. Heart Swap? Use a phazer or Haze Tomohawk. Toxic or Thunder Wave? Use something like Chansey or Klefki.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
papa said:
Perhaps they are viable, but they're either outclassed by Krill's flagship sets or by other mons who do the jobs better. CounterCoat? Run Wobbuffet. Trace? Magic Guard is better 99% of the time. Heart Swap? Use a phazer or Haze Tomohawk. Toxic or Thunder Wave? Use something like Chansey or Klefki.
Wobbuffet is both expected to run count coat and simultaneously has no other options, really. Kril can run one or both moves in addition to other moves and can offer a great, more versatile counter/coat experience. Heart Swap also is superior to phaze/haze in its effect. Kril has a ton of really cool options, and the two sets listed may be the most common and universally practical sets. However, with the right team support, Kril can do a whole horde of things. Therefore, selling your Other Options off as mediocre/outclassed is not something I agree with. Certain moves, such as confuse ray, probably should have a forewarning regarding reliability. In general though, Kril is one of the few mons that is a star of the OO.

Here's an example of an unusual Kril putting in major work: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/cap-197039497
Though this particular varient does utilize some less than reliable hax, the true value is the superb physical bulk plus mirror coat to take out special attackers.

Empress

Wobbuffet is both expected to run count coat and simultaneously has no other options, really. Kril can run one or both moves in addition to other moves and can offer a great, more versatile counter/coat experience. Heart Swap also is superior to phaze/haze in its effect. Kril has a ton of really cool options, and the two sets listed may be the most common and universally practical sets. However, with the right team support, Kril can do a whole horde of things. Therefore, selling your Other Options off as mediocre/outclassed is not something I agree with. Certain moves, such as confuse ray, probably should have a forewarning regarding reliability. In general though, Kril is one of the few mons that is a star of the OO.

Here's an example of an unusual Kril putting in major work: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/cap-197039497
Though this particular varient does utilize some less than reliable hax, the true value is the superb physical bulk plus mirror coat to take out special attackers.
Fair enough. I have put in the edits.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looks good for the most part, though in OO, where you mention Heart Swap, I would take out mention of Syclant. You can't take a hit from it after it sets up, so it relies on complete prediction and only in 1v1 matchups where they have not had a turn yet, and if you guess wrong, you lose. Things like Mega Slowbro would make more sense to mention, as it is a guaranteed win against them. Additionally, I'd mention Leftovers and 44 or more Def EVs as being valuable with Heart Swap, since that is what is needed to guarantee you steal the boosts from a standard Cawmodore without dying before you can use it. Personally I use a set of Waterfall/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Heart Swap with 20 Atk / 44 Def/ 192 SpA / 252 Def and a Naive nature, but I don't think that is something that necessarily deserves its own set.

Anyways though, this looks pretty good to me. So, let me just say QC approved 3/3

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add/(un)Capitalize
remove
(comments)
Overview
########
(add space)
Krilowatt is the definition epitome of versatility. It possesses the ability to be either a physical attacker or a special attacker hit from the physical and the special side, and it sits at a decently fast base 105 Speed, making it a solid sweeper. It possesses an amazing ability in Magic Guard, blocking all indirect damage, and it has a solid defensive typing that leaves it with just 2 two weaknesses. Couple that with its high 151 / 73 / 74 bulk, and Krilowatt is not easy to take down. It also has nearly perfect neutral coverage between its STAB moves and its Ice-, Fighting- and Ground-type moves, being able to land neutral damage on everything every Pokemon except for Shedinja. Its options are not limited to all-out offense, either; it can effectively utilize many other sets to catch opponents off guard.

Although Krilowatt is a jack-of-all-trades (The hyphens aren't necessary.), it is a master of none. It often doesn't hit hard enough with only base 84 Attack and base 83 Sp.ecial Attack, and so it must hold a Life Orb to be used offensively. It also lacks reliable recovery moves, and has but a few status moves to take advantage of. Finally, despite the ability to fit multiple niches, it sometimes finds itself outclassed in what it can do. Even so, Krilowatt is a solid Pokemon that can find a home on nearly any team depending on what it is needed for.

Special Attacker
########

Moves
========
(add space)
Surf is Krilowatt's reliable Water-type STAB attack, while Thunderbolt and Discharge provide it with Electric-type STAB moves. Thunderbolt has more immediate power, while Discharge has a higher chance to inflict paralysis, so both are equally viable choices. Ice Beam gives this set BoltBeam coverage, (RC) and hits the Grass-types that pack a super effective STAB move super effective against Krilowatt. Earth Power and Earthquake provide Ground-type coverage, which is super effective on many things that Krilowatt would normally only hit neutrally. Earth Power comes off a fully invested Special Attack stat, but an uninvested Earthquake hits specially defensive variants of Mollux and Heatran better than a fully invested Earth Power does.

Set Details
========
(add space)
A Life Orb is the preferred item because Krilowatt can abuse take advantage of it without receiving recoil damage thanks to Magic Guard, and it shoots its low 265 SpA Special Attack stat up to 345. Magic Guard also means that Krilowatt doesn't need to worry about damaging status problems taking damage from a status effect or entry hazards. A Timid or Naive nature is necessary to get the jump on base 100 Speed Pokemon; Naive is the preferred nature if you Krilowatt runs Earthquake over Earth Power, as you don't want to lower Krilowatt's Attack stat. The EVs are standard for a special sweeper, though the 4 HP EVs can be dropped into Attack if you Krilowatt runs Earthquake.

Usage Tips
========
(add space)
Krilowatt is more of a fast late-game cleaner than a special wall wallbreaker, (AC) as due to the fact that its Special Attack is not great. You can, however, switch Krilowatt in at will without worrying about entry hazards or a stray Toxic or Will-O-Wisp. Even so, it Krilowatt struggles mightily against special walls because of its inability to boost its Special Attack. Thus, you should try not to use Krilowatt until you eliminate all opposing special walls, as they can simply switch in and kill off your momentum.

Team Options
========
(add space)
Krilowatt is a great standalone Pokemon, so you don't need to build your team around it. You do, however, need physical attackers, such as Cawmodore or Azumarill, to get past special walls. A partner teammate that can tank Ground-type and Grass-type attacks is nice; most Flying-types work well in this role. Pokemon that appreciate Krilowatt's ability to tank attacks make good teammates as well. Aurumoth in particular appreciates Krilowatt's resistance to Flying- and Fire-type moves. Gothitelle is great at trapping and eliminating staples of stall teams, such as Chansey.

Physical Attacker
########

Moves
========
(add space)
Though most Krilowatt are special attackers, its base Attack stat is right on par with its base Special Attack. Waterfall and Thunder Punch are Krilowatt's primary STAB attacks, while both Ice Punch and Ice Shard provide powerful Ice-type coverage. Ice Punch has a much higher immediate power, while Ice Shard is an option if you Krilowatt needs desire priority. Finally, Earthquake and Low Kick provide great secondary coverage. Earthquake is often more reliable because it has a set 100 Base Power, but Low Kick will hit certain checks to Krilowatt harder than Earthquake can, such as Kyurem-B and Ferrothorn.
(remove space)
Set Details
========
(add space)
Life Orb is the best option to boost Krilowatt's offensive presence, giving it an effective 347 Attack stat. Thanks to Magic Guard, it doesn't receive recoil from the Life Orb either. A Jolly nature is the preferred nature to maximize your speed Krilowatt's Speed. Alongside BoltBeam coverage, as well as a second STAB in Waterfall, choose Earthquake or Low Kick, (AC) depending on which coverage your team needs more.

Usage Tips
========
(add space)
This set may hit from the physical instead of the special side, but it still retains the role of a late-game cleaner as opposed to a wallbreaker. What's more, Will-O-Wisp is a problem for this set because Magic Guard does not prevent the Attack drop from a burn. You should also keep Krilowatt off the field as long as you can because most opponents expect it to be hitting from the special side.

Team Options
========
(add space)
Again, Krilowatt is a great standalone Pokemon, so it does not need a lot of support. Special attackers will can take on the physical walls that stop Krilowatt. Aurumoth, Volkraken, Stratagem, (AC) and Tomohawk work well in this role. Tomohawk has the added bonus of being able to switch in on the Ground-type and Grass-type attacks that threaten Krilowatt. Aurumoth also has great synergy with Krilowatt, (RC) and always appreciates its Krilowatt's resistances to Flying- and Fire-type moves. Overall, though, this set requires nearly identical support to the special attacking set to function effectively.

Other Options
########
(add space)
Krilowatt has a myriad of other options. It can effectively run CounterCoat due to its very strong high HP and comparatively low Defense and Sp. Special Defense in comparison. Trace is an option against opponents foes with powerful abilities, like such as Tomohawk, but it is fairly matchup-(add hyphen)dependent and inferior to Magic Guard. Heart Swap can be hilarious against an Aurumoth, Cawmodore, or Mega Slowbro that attempts to set up, but it is also extremely matchup-(add hyphen)dependent. Still, a set of Waterfall / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Heart Swap with a spread of 20 Atk / 44 Def / 192 SpA / 252 SpD EVs, Leftovers, and a Naive nature can be used to be guaranteed that Krilowatt can steal a Cawmodore's Belly Drum and abuse take advantage the Attack boost before being KOed. It can spread status problems with Toxic and Thunder Wave, but typically, (AC) stall-based Pokemon do that better. Additionally, Krilowatt struggles against most clerics, like Chansey and Sylveon, though moreso with its special set than its physical set. It also learns Confuse Ray, so a parafusion set can be annoying to face, but it is completely unreliable.

Checks & Counters
########
(add space)
**Dedicated Walls**: Krilowatt is not a wallbreaker, (AC) due to its somewhat low offense and lack of a boosting move, so it struggles against dedicated walls.
**Bulky Grass-types**: Many bulky Grass-types can take an Ice Beam and retaliate with a super effective Grass-type move. In particular, Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn are great answers to Krilowatt.
**Fast Earthquake users**: Pokemon with a powerful Earthquake, such as Mega Charizard X, can deal serious damage to Krilowatt. Fortunately, most Earthquake users are weak to at least one of its coverage moves.
**Setup sweepers**: Often, Krilowatt cannot deal enough damage to KO stat boosters before they begin their sweep. In particular, most Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance users, such as Mega Charizard X and Aurumoth, respectively, are naturally slower than Krilowatt, thus rendering Heart Swap useless against them. After becoming faster, they can potentially kill KO Krilowatt, (RC) and then proceed to sweep your team.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Empress

add/(un)Capitalize
remove
(comments)
Overview
########
(add space)
Krilowatt is the definition epitome of versatility. It possesses the ability to be either a physical attacker or a special attacker hit from the physical and the special side, and it sits at a decently fast base 105 Speed, making it a solid sweeper. It possesses an amazing ability in Magic Guard, blocking all indirect damage, and it has a solid defensive typing that leaves it with just 2 two weaknesses. Couple that with its high 151 / 73 / 74 bulk, and Krilowatt is not easy to take down. It also has nearly perfect neutral coverage between its STAB moves and its Ice-, Fighting- and Ground-type moves, being able to land neutral damage on everything every Pokemon except for Shedinja. Its options are not limited to all-out offense, either; it can effectively utilize many other sets to catch opponents off guard.

Although Krilowatt is a jack-of-all-trades (The hyphens aren't necessary.), it is a master of none. It often doesn't hit hard enough with only base 84 Attack and base 83 Sp.ecial Attack, and so it must hold a Life Orb to be used offensively. It also lacks reliable recovery moves, and has but a few status moves to take advantage of. Finally, despite the ability to fit multiple niches, it sometimes finds itself outclassed in what it can do. Even so, Krilowatt is a solid Pokemon that can find a home on nearly any team depending on what it is needed for.

Special Attacker
########

Moves
========
(add space)
Surf is Krilowatt's reliable Water-type STAB attack, while Thunderbolt and Discharge provide it with Electric-type STAB moves. Thunderbolt has more immediate power, while Discharge has a higher chance to inflict paralysis, so both are equally viable choices. Ice Beam gives this set BoltBeam coverage, (RC) and hits the Grass-types that pack a super effective STAB move super effective against Krilowatt. Earth Power and Earthquake provide Ground-type coverage, which is super effective on many things that Krilowatt would normally only hit neutrally. Earth Power comes off a fully invested Special Attack stat, but an uninvested Earthquake hits specially defensive variants of Mollux and Heatran better than a fully invested Earth Power does.

Set Details
========
(add space)
A Life Orb is the preferred item because Krilowatt can abuse take advantage of it without receiving recoil damage thanks to Magic Guard, and it shoots its low 265 SpA Special Attack stat up to 345. Magic Guard also means that Krilowatt doesn't need to worry about damaging status problems taking damage from a status effect or entry hazards. A Timid or Naive nature is necessary to get the jump on base 100 Speed Pokemon; Naive is the preferred nature if you Krilowatt runs Earthquake over Earth Power, as you don't want to lower Krilowatt's Attack stat. The EVs are standard for a special sweeper, though the 4 HP EVs can be dropped into Attack if you Krilowatt runs Earthquake.

Usage Tips
========
(add space)
Krilowatt is more of a fast late-game cleaner than a special wall wallbreaker, (AC) as due to the fact that its Special Attack is not great. You can, however, switch Krilowatt in at will without worrying about entry hazards or a stray Toxic or Will-O-Wisp. Even so, it Krilowatt struggles mightily against special walls because of its inability to boost its Special Attack. Thus, you should try not to use Krilowatt until you eliminate all opposing special walls, as they can simply switch in and kill off your momentum.

Team Options
========
(add space)
Krilowatt is a great standalone Pokemon, so you don't need to build your team around it. You do, however, need physical attackers, such as Cawmodore or Azumarill, to get past special walls. A partner teammate that can tank Ground-type and Grass-type attacks is nice; most Flying-types work well in this role. Pokemon that appreciate Krilowatt's ability to tank attacks make good teammates as well. Aurumoth in particular appreciates Krilowatt's resistance to Flying- and Fire-type moves. Gothitelle is great at trapping and eliminating staples of stall teams, such as Chansey.

Physical Attacker
########

Moves
========
(add space)
Though most Krilowatt are special attackers, its base Attack stat is right on par with its base Special Attack. Waterfall and Thunder Punch are Krilowatt's primary STAB attacks, while both Ice Punch and Ice Shard provide powerful Ice-type coverage. Ice Punch has a much higher immediate power, while Ice Shard is an option if you Krilowatt needs desire priority. Finally, Earthquake and Low Kick provide great secondary coverage. Earthquake is often more reliable because it has a set 100 Base Power, but Low Kick will hit certain checks to Krilowatt harder than Earthquake can, such as Kyurem-B and Ferrothorn.
(remove space)
Set Details
========
(add space)
Life Orb is the best option to boost Krilowatt's offensive presence, giving it an effective 347 Attack stat. Thanks to Magic Guard, it doesn't receive recoil from the Life Orb either. A Jolly nature is the preferred nature to maximize your speed Krilowatt's Speed. Alongside BoltBeam coverage, as well as a second STAB in Waterfall, choose Earthquake or Low Kick, (AC) depending on which coverage your team needs more.

Usage Tips
========
(add space)
This set may hit from the physical instead of the special side, but it still retains the role of a late-game cleaner as opposed to a wallbreaker. What's more, Will-O-Wisp is a problem for this set because Magic Guard does not prevent the Attack drop from a burn. You should also keep Krilowatt off the field as long as you can because most opponents expect it to be hitting from the special side.

Team Options
========
(add space)
Again, Krilowatt is a great standalone Pokemon, so it does not need a lot of support. Special attackers will can take on the physical walls that stop Krilowatt. Aurumoth, Volkraken, Stratagem, (AC) and Tomohawk work well in this role. Tomohawk has the added bonus of being able to switch in on the Ground-type and Grass-type attacks that threaten Krilowatt. Aurumoth also has great synergy with Krilowatt, (RC) and always appreciates its Krilowatt's resistances to Flying- and Fire-type moves. Overall, though, this set requires nearly identical support to the special attacking set to function effectively.

Other Options
########
(add space)
Krilowatt has a myriad of other options. It can effectively run CounterCoat due to its very strong high HP and comparatively low Defense and Sp. Special Defense in comparison. Trace is an option against opponents foes with powerful abilities, like such as Tomohawk, but it is fairly matchup-(add hyphen)dependent and inferior to Magic Guard. Heart Swap can be hilarious against an Aurumoth, Cawmodore, or Mega Slowbro that attempts to set up, but it is also extremely matchup-(add hyphen)dependent. Still, a set of Waterfall / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Heart Swap with a spread of 20 Atk / 44 Def / 192 SpA / 252 SpD EVs, Leftovers, and a Naive nature can be used to be guaranteed that Krilowatt can steal a Cawmodore's Belly Drum and abuse take advantage the Attack boost before being KOed. It can spread status problems with Toxic and Thunder Wave, but typically, (AC) stall-based Pokemon do that better. Additionally, Krilowatt struggles against most clerics, like Chansey and Sylveon, though moreso with its special set than its physical set. It also learns Confuse Ray, so a parafusion set can be annoying to face, but it is completely unreliable.

Checks & Counters
########
(add space)
**Dedicated Walls**: Krilowatt is not a wallbreaker, (AC) due to its somewhat low offense and lack of a boosting move, so it struggles against dedicated walls.
**Fast Earthquake users**: Pokemon with a powerful Earthquake, such as Mega Charizard X, can deal serious damage to Krilowatt. Fortunately, most Earthquake users are weak to at least one of its coverage moves.
**Setup sweepers**: Often, Krilowatt cannot deal enough damage to KO stat boosters before they begin their sweep. In particular, most Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance users, such as Mega Charizard X and Aurumoth, respectively, are naturally slower than Krilowatt, thus rendering Heart Swap useless against them. After becoming faster, they can potentially kill KO Krilowatt, (RC) and then proceed to sweep your team.

GP 1/2
All changes implemented.

Empress

add / remove / Capitalize or lowercase

Overview
########

Krilowatt is the epitome of versatility. It possesses the ability to be either a physical or special attacker, and it sits at a decently fast base 105 Speed, making it a solid sweeper. It possesses an amazing ability in Magic Guard, which blocks all indirect damage, and it has a solid defensive typing that leaves it with just 2 weaknesses. Couple that with its high 151 / 73 / 74 bulk, and Krilowatt is not easy to take down. It also has nearly perfect neutral coverage between its STAB moves and Ice-, Fighting- and Ground-type moves, being able to land neutral damage on every Pokemon except for Shedinja. Its options are not limited to all-out offense, either; it can effectively utilize many other sets to catch opponents off guard.

Although Krilowatt is a jack of all trades, it is a master of none. It often doesn't hit hard enough with only base 84 Attack and base 83 Special Attack, so it must hold a Life Orb to be used offensively. It also lacks reliable recovery moves, and has but a few status moves to take advantage of. Finally, despite the ability to fit multiple niches, it sometimes finds itself outclassed in what it can do. Even so, Krilowatt is a solid Pokemon that can find a home on nearly any team depending on what it is needed for.

Special Attacker
########

Moves
========

Surf is Krilowatt's reliable Water-type STAB attack, while Thunderbolt and Discharge provide it with Electric-type STAB moves. Thunderbolt has more immediate power, while Discharge has a higher chance to inflict paralysis, so both are equally viable choices. Ice Beam gives this set BoltBeam coverage and hits the Grass-types that pack a STAB move super effective against Krilowatt. Earth Power and Earthquake provide Ground-type coverage, which is super effective on many things that Krilowatt would normally only hit neutrally. Earth Power comes off a is optimal with a fully invested Special Attack stat, but an uninvested Earthquake hits specially defensive variants of Mollux and Heatran better than a fully invested Earth Power does.

Set Details
========

A Life Orb is the preferred item because Krilowatt can take advantage of Life Orb it without receiving recoil damage thanks to Magic Guard, and it shoots its low 265 Special Attack up to 345. Magic Guard also means that Krilowatt doesn't need to worry about taking damage from a status effect or entry hazards. A Timid or Naive nature is necessary to get the jump on base 100 Speed Pokemon; Naive is the preferred nature if Krilowatt runs Earthquake over Earth Power, as you don't want to lower its Attack stat. The EVs are spread is standard for a special sweeper, though the 4 HP EVs can be dropped into Attack if Krilowatt runs Earthquake.

Usage Tips
========

Krilowatt is more of a fast late-game cleaner than a special wallbreaker, as its Special Attack is not great. You can, however, switch Krilowatt in at will without worrying about entry hazards or a stray Toxic or Will-O-Wisp. Even so, Krilowatt struggles mightily against special walls because of its inability to boost its Special Attack. Thus, you should try not to use Krilowatt until you eliminate all opposing special walls, as they can simply switch in and kill off your stifle momentum.

Team Options
========

Krilowatt is a great standalone Pokemon, so you don't need to build your team around it. You do, however, need physical attackers,(RC) such as Cawmodore or Azumarill,(RC) to get past special walls. A teammate that can tank Ground- and Grass-type attacks is nice; most Flying-types work well in this role. Pokemon that appreciate Krilowatt's ability to tank attacks make good teammates as well. Aurumoth in particular appreciates Krilowatt's resistance to Flying- and Fire-type moves. Gothitelle is great at trapping and eliminating staples of stall teams,(RC) such as Chansey.

Physical Attacker
########

Moves
========

Though most Krilowatt are special attackers, its base Attack stat is right on par with its base Special Attack. Waterfall and Thunder Punch are Krilowatt's primary STAB attacks, while both Ice Punch and Ice Shard provide powerful Ice-type coverage. Ice Punch has a much higher immediate power, while Ice Shard is an option if provides Krilowatt needs priority. Finally, Earthquake and Low Kick provide great secondary coverage. Earthquake is often more reliable because it has a set 100 Base Power, but Low Kick will hit certain checks to Krilowatt harder than Earthquake can,(RC) such as Kyurem-B and Ferrothorn.

Set Details
========

Life Orb is the best option to boosts Krilowatt's offensive presence, giving it an effective 347 Attack stat. Thanks to Magic Guard, it doesn't receive recoil from Life Orb either. A Jolly nature is preferred to maximize your speed Krilowatt's Speed. Alongside BoltBeam coverage, as well as a second STAB in Waterfall, choose Earthquake or Low Kick, depending on which coverage your team needs more.

Usage Tips
========

This set may hit from the physically instead of the specially side, but it still retains the role of a late-game cleaner as opposed to a wallbreaker. What's more, However, Will-O-Wisp is a problem for this set because Magic Guard does not prevent the Attack drop from a burn. You should also keep Krilowatt off the field as long as you can because most opponents expect it to be hitting from the special side running a special set.

Team Options
========

Again, Krilowatt is a great standalone Pokemon, so it does not need a lot of support. Special attackers can take on the physical walls that stop Krilowatt. Aurumoth, Volkraken, Stratagem, and Tomohawk work well in this role. Tomohawk has the added bonus of being able to switch in on the Ground-type and Grass-type attacks that threaten Krilowatt. Aurumoth also has great synergy with Krilowatt and always appreciates Krilowatt's resistances to Flying- and Fire-type moves. Overall, though, this set requires nearly identical support to the special attacking set to function effectively.

Other Options
########

Krilowatt has a myriad of other options. It can effectively run CounterCoat due to its very high HP and comparatively low Defense and Sp. Special Defense. Trace is an option against foes with powerful abilities,(RC) such as Tomohawk, but it is fairly matchup-dependent and inferior to Magic Guard. Heart Swap can be hilarious against an Aurumoth, Cawmodore, or Mega Slowbro that attempts to set up, but it is also extremely matchup-dependent. Still, a set of Waterfall / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Heart Swap with a spread of 20 Atk / 44 Def / 192 SpA / 252 SpD, Leftovers, and a Naive nature can be used to guarantee that Krilowatt can steal a Cawmodore's Belly Drum and take advantage of the Attack boost before being KOed. It can spread status with Toxic and Thunder Wave, but typically, stall-based Pokemon does that better. Additionally, Krilowatt struggles against most clerics, like such as Chansey and Sylveon, though moreso its special set than its physical set. It also learns Confuse Ray, so a ParaFusion set can be annoying to face, but it is completely unreliable.

Checks & Counters
########

**Dedicated Walls**: Krilowatt is not a wallbreaker,(RC) due to its somewhat low offensive stats and lack of a boosting move, so it struggles against dedicated walls.
(add linebreak)
(add linebreak)
**Fast Earthquake users**: Pokemon with a powerful Earthquake,(RC) such as Mega Charizard X,(RC) can deal serious damage to Krilowatt. Fortunately, most Earthquake users are weak to at least one of its coverage moves.
(add linebreak)
**Setup sweepers**: Often, Krilowatt often cannot deal enough damage to KO stat boosters before they begin their sweep. In particular, most Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance users,(RC) such as Mega Charizard X and Aurumoth, respectively, are naturally slower than Krilowatt, thus rendering Heart Swap useless against them. After becoming faster, they can potentially KO Krilowatt and then proceed to sweep your team.

GP 2/2
Done! And with that, Krilowatt is finished!
EDIT: After having a conversation with the two GP checkers, some of their changes have been altered/reversed.

Last edited:

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
wh0sy0urpapa, this was my bad. I totally missed the capitalization of the Checks & Counters tabs. They should be "Fast Earthquake Users" and "Setup Sweepers." Also, you should indicate if you don't keep any changes or alter them; at least, this is what I've heard as policy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)