ORAS OU If I ever see another M-Gallade/Bisharp core, it'll be too soon. [An M-Gallade/Bisharp Core]

Irony? What irony?

It'd be worrying if I didn't start with this.
Because blanket checks are the best kind of checks.
Who lives in the corpses of stall 'mons under the sea? I'll give you a hint: it sure as hell ain't Spongebob Squarepants.
Chip damage sucks, whether it's through hazards or taking one too many hits with your sweepers. Thus, safety-net air mail is on the job, all in a convenient one-'mon package.
Dost thou hearest what I hear? But soft, dear friend, canst not thou hear the weeping of non-Shed Shell Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Scizor?

I cannot describe to you in this mortal plane of existence exactly how many times I have seen this core botched up on the ladder. Some recent RMTs here in this subforum are wonderful examples of the core done correctly, but smack my ass and call me Betsy if I didn't have to go digging through a whole pile of guano first while laddering.

Guano also carries poisonous spores that can cause histoplasmosis when inhaled. Don't forget to wear gas masks before laddering, kids.

I would not wish for anyone's virgin eyes to be assaulted with the horror that is 0 birdspam checks outside of Bisharp with this core (no joke, I've seen Conkeldurr and Celebi paired with this core, with nary a Rotom-W in sight). So, here's the RMT! It isn't perfect, but it's a shot at it, nonetheless.

PROTO MANG (Gallade) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Knock Off / Ice Punch

Pretty much a nightmare for defensive 'mons all on its own. Gallade is my primary sweeper and the most obvious win condition you ever did see. The moves are standard fare for an offensive M-Gallade set, with SD being the go-to move when birdspam is off the playing field and M-Sableye isn't trying to WoW you. As for the choice between Knock Off and Ice Punch, I personally opt for Knock Off. Though it doesn't OHKO dragons without an SD or two behind the hit, it's a great panic-button choice to deal with incoming scarfers that expect the SD, namely Staraptor, Jirachi, Lando-T and the rare Latios and Celebi. It also makes sure I'm not dead-weight against Mega Slowbro in the event that Manaphy is KOed.

MEGA MANG (Bisharp) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Have my nicknames made you question my already abysmal naming sense yet? Good, because they'll only get worse. Bisharp essentially takes care of faster Psychic-types and Ghost-types, as well as being a decent check to birdspam (although he can't switch in repeatedly). Pursuit is chosen over SD to properly trap the Lati twins, M-Gardevoir and weakened threats that can't afford to eat a Sucker Punch, even if Bisharp is in KO range otherwise. The rest of his moves play to his STAB combo, because Knock Off still hits like an angry truck with alcohol issues. And daddy issues. And anger issues. And 'issue' issues.

MACHO MAGIC (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Smack Down

Randy Savage would be proud. Bisharp can't take Flying hits forever, so I figured I might as well walk the old, beaten(-to-death) path named Landorus-T. This Landorus-T actually doesn't have to play the 50/50 game with opposing Lando-T, Rotom-W, Levitate users and Flying types that Scarf Lando-T has to, all by merit of the move Smack Down. It's weak, and won't net you the same KOs that Stone Edge does, but I'll be knackered if it doesn't scare the piss out of half the people that default to a Rotom-W switch-in. Lando-T also serves as a nice lead with very respectable offenses and defenses, coupled with Intimidate, that allow the oft-overlooked defensive set to shine. (I say overlooked, but I mean that in relation to Scarf Lando-T. Defensive Lando-T is still popular, just less so.)

SEA BISCUIT (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Energy Ball

TG RD EB Manaphy. Say that 10 times fast. This Manaphy set has gained rave popularity in all of a week for its unparalleled ability to happily defecate all over stall, balance and rain teams. Tail Glow allows you to set up all over threats you naturally force out, like Suicune and Heatran. One Tail Glow is enough to punch through most defensive juggernauts in stall like Alomomola, M-Sableye and Clefable, and even Chansey after 2 Tail Glows. Rain Dance makes use of the amazing ability Hydration, which stops Toxic stalling cold. Energy Ball is to turn Quagsire and most Rain-team 'mons bar Ludicolo (at least immediately) into a soft paste, which Manaphy then consumes as a makeshift laxative so it can continue crapping all over the enemy team.

SANIC BOOM (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

For all the merits the previous sweepers boast, they all have difficulty switching in on hits repeatedly. Too much of it, and their ability to sweep is gimped. Hazards and resisted hits, although not particularly damaging initially, add up fast. This is where Latias comes in. Healing Wish and Defog are all this team needs as a safety net, both in terms of hazard removal and giving a sweeper a second chance. Draco Meteor is picked over Dragon Pulse to put down opposing Dragons, and Psyshock is there to stop Keldeo if Gallade hasn't mega-evolved yet. Of course, this is not without its downfalls. This team doesn't do too hot against Bisharp outside of Lando-T, however, and Latias certainly doesn't help things. Still, the benefits outweigh the costs.

OLD FRIDGE (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

This is pretty much the only 'mon I threw in here because I didn't have many choices to pick from for a scarfer. Deals with Steel-types bar Heatran, and clears Ferrothorn out of the way for Manaphy to wreck face. A standard trapping set, by all means, but it always does work, whether that 'work' happens to be offing a Scizor/Ferrothorn, or getting rid of a Shed Shell. Magnezone also carries merit in providing a fast Volt Switch that couples well with Lando-T's U-Turn.​

Afterthoughts: To be perfectly honest, I've entertained the thought of Scarf Gengar as a check to Scarfed Staraptor, which otherwise runs through this team like a hot knife through butter. If I haven't heard enough about how Scarf Gengar is crap, I would've done it. I don't know how it fares currently, but if people could give me input, that'd be great. I'm not the best battler, so a ladder rating would be an inaccurate measurement of how this team would fare. This team has trouble with scarfers if Lando-T isn't healthy and your team is weakened before Latias can heal someone back up, but it can always be played around.

Importable below. If you have any suggestions, go ahead and mention them, with adequate proof and calcs if necessary. Have fun, and merry Hanukkah. Or something.

PROTO MANG (Gallade) @ Galladite
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

MEGA MANG (Bisharp) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

SEA BISCUIT (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Energy Ball

SANIC BOOM (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

MACHO MAGIC (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Smack Down

OLD FRIDGE (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Last edited:
sick squad bro i swear i used this team vs ctc or some shit. But besides that looks crisp just that lando doesnt need smakdown since mag traps skarm and put jolly life orb lowkick bisharp to beat other bishes. At +2 it cleans up p much. Also ice beam on manaphy over raindance is an option since it only benifits itself. You kinda lose to rain aka swamp etc so max hp manaphy or simething is the only change i can think of. Or just put a ferro/chansey it serious buffers the squad and i dont like that. One solid check to is amoongus but it doesnt provide offensive an offensive check. The only real offensive check that beats rain us probs sash lead breloom i cant provides sets atm due to mobile but its standard jolly. Replace it over sharp or manaphy cant really think of who to replace but it is a suggestion for you to think about.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
your team currently has no switchins to bisharp while you're using defog on latias. you're not running hp fire/fight on lati so that makes bisharp that much more threatening. I dont feel like you really need magnezone on the team. your two main heavy hitters handle steel types relatively well and you have smack down on landorus. Keldeo or Conk are probably your best bets to handle Bish. Keldeo resists both its stabs so its capable of taking more hits but conk has priority in mach punch to make up for not resisting iron head. Keldeo baits in latis so you can pursuit trap with bisharp if that situation comes up (it will).

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Flying]

the choice between specs and scarf is up to you but you have plenty of speed on your team. scarf would help with metagross a bit better, but specs gives you more freedom to run hp flying. HP Flying is mainly for venusaur. your team doesnt have any good switch ins for it so baiting it in with keldeo will bring it down to 40% maximum if it comes in on rocks. With another rocks switch in even landorus has a chance at knocking out with EQ and thats to the defensive variant. you dont even need rocks support for the offensive variant. It also puts it in range of + 3 scald from manaphy

By replacing magnezone with keldeo you become a lot more vulnerable to bird spam so you have to play your lando and bisharp a lot better. keldeo can actually handle pinsir under the right circumstances if you play it right as well.

Hope I helped!

your team currently has no switchins to bisharp while you're using defog on latias. you're not running hp fire/fight on lati so that makes bisharp that much more threatening. I dont feel like you really need magnezone on the team. your two main heavy hitters handle steel types relatively well and you have smack down on landorus. Keldeo or Conk are probably your best bets to handle Bish. Keldeo resists both its stabs so its capable of taking more hits but conk has priority in mach punch to make up for not resisting iron head. Keldeo baits in latis so you can pursuit trap with bisharp if that situation comes up (it will).

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Flying]

the choice between specs and scarf is up to you but you have plenty of speed on your team. scarf would help with metagross a bit better, but specs gives you more freedom to run hp flying. HP Flying is mainly for venusaur. your team doesnt have any good switch ins for it so baiting it in with keldeo will bring it down to 40% maximum if it comes in on rocks. With another rocks switch in even landorus has a chance at knocking out with EQ and thats to the defensive variant. you dont even need rocks support for the offensive variant. It also puts it in range of + 3 scald from manaphy

By replacing magnezone with keldeo you become a lot more vulnerable to bird spam so you have to play your lando and bisharp a lot better. keldeo can actually handle pinsir under the right circumstances if you play it right as well.

Hope I helped!
Thanks for the input! On that note, is it viable to run Low Kick over Pursuit on Bisharp and make it a Jolly LO set to take care of opposing Bisharp, then run a specs/scarfer that doesn't compound my weakness to birdspam? I'm testing Keldeo out at the moment, but I just want to know if Low Kick Bisharp also pulls its own weight.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
yea you can. its risky tho because youre hoping they dont have low kick as well although its rare. low kick allows it to beat heatran after a bit of chip damage as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)