Ladder STABmons (the old one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
The only think I can say: Diggersby is one of many good tools in the metagame, but that does not make it broken just because it is good and versatile.

Stall teams actually ran diggersby commonly (I saw it a lot in tours), so yeah...also the omnipresence of diggersby stops the use of tons of setup sweepers, which would of course be tailored to beat the checks on stall teams (quagsire, aegi, w/e). Since diggersby is used so much anyways, it deters setup sweepers, which help stall since even now when they are used its more important to run something to beat diggersby than to beat sableye or quagsire.

Why did it do so? Is it going to actually continue if the discussion continues? Is it dependent on discussing Diggersby, or are there other reasons the STABmons thread turned ugly that are still relevant if something else entirely is talked about?

And is it even socially acceptable to talk about what the other reasons might be?
I don't really know what this means, so I'm not going to get involved. I was just speaking as a neutral observer having seen five and a half pages of argument that bordered on vitriolic.

EV

Banned deucer.
This doesn't really sound like he gave it much consideration to me. It sounds like it got dismissed by default. I don't even really agree that every other Normal type can do it better. Better by what metric? Bibarel has Simple, but other Normal types have... less Attack? Worse STAB coverage? What exactly makes them do it better?
One, I did not say "every other Normal type can do it better," so I agree with you on that. I said "many."

Two, I specifically mentioned ScrappyKhan doing Belly Drum better (Stoutland by extension does too thanks to Scrappy). I think Meloetta is a better Shell Smasher thanks to Judgment and Stored Power. Yes I know that Meloetta is special and Diggersby is physical, but I didn't make that distinction in my reasoning because I was addressing setup as a whole not contingent on the physical/special spectrum split.

I should apologize though because I was lumping Pokemon with access to Normal into that statement, which would also include Espeon, Azumarill, and Talonflame.

Mostly though I'm just not a fan of the fact that the discussion has consistently focused on FakeSpeed Diggersby. That's not really a discussion about Diggersby, that's a discussion about FakeSpeed -there's a reason someone was arguing we shouldn't ban Diggersby because then what? We ban all FakeSpeeders? That reason being that the discussion was focusing on FakeSpeed, not on what Diggersby can do as a whole.
I focused on it the most because the introduction of the ORAS tutors was what brought up its suspect status. The idea was that when Diggersby comes in threatening FakeSpeed and the opponent switches out, it can now use an elemental punch or Knock Off to beat its standard checks. I still mentioned setup in my decision, however, but gave more attention to non-setup variants because those are the most common.

To reiterate how I feel about setup, I refer to my points that Sableye and Quagsire can deal with it, while opposing FakeSpeed (or priority from something that resists Extreme Speed), Sturdy, phazing, and Red Card are also viable. These should not be hard to fit on a standard STABmons team and considering teams need to be prepared for setup in general, many provide overlap to other setup threats besides Diggersby.

now we wait until diggersby gets thousand arrows. then we will be forced to run yet another diggs suspect (or tarrows in general) seriously though, why didn't anyone wait until arrows to scream ban? it would have so much more reason to ban. and now if its not INCOHERANTLY broken, you cannot suspect it again iirc.

edit: then again, this IS eevees meta, so its really his/her choice
I'm 99% sure that I will add Thousand Arrows to the Sketch clause.

On another note, how do people feel about the move Chatter?

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
also a little sidenote i want to bring up, completely off topic, is that for bdrum espeeders (mainly kanga/stout) in my personal experience, running protect with espeed and fighting move and running JUST enough speed to creep diggersby is possibly the best thing you can do, mainly because it stops fakespeeders like diggersby, and i cannot tell you how many people resort to fakespeed diggers to stop them, only to lose due to diggers being unable to fake out it.

and therefore only makes KS+Wind skarm, clefable, and quagsire the only reliable counters and literally having no checks

edit 1:and in my experience chatters really only worth using on togekiss and talonflame, and its annoying, but its no less better then teeterdance so to speak, other then dealing 65 base damage, at the cost of a moveslot, 99% of the time its not worth using tbh. enless its togekiss, as even talonflame has to sacrifice crutial coverage to make it work.

Last edited:
Chatter doesn't Confuse unless the user is Chatot. If STABmons is doing anything different in that regard, it's incorrect behavior. So Chatter on other Pokemon is Hidden Power Flying without the IV requirement.

I focused on it the most because the introduction of the ORAS tutors was what brought up its suspect status. The idea was that when Diggersby comes in threatening FakeSpeed and the opponent switches out, it can now use an elemental punch or Knock Off to beat its standard checks. I still mentioned setup in my decision, however, but gave more attention to non-setup variants because those are the most common.
What immediately leapt out at me when ORAS came along was that Knock Off completes Diggerby's coverage so that only a few Levitators+Skarmory+in practice Sabeleye can laugh off a "perfect" set of Normal move/Ground move/Knock Off/whatever. (With Shell Smash being my personal focus, but it's actually somewhat immaterial what the fourth move is -it can just as easily be Fake Out, or heck, Fire Punch for Mega Scizor or whatever)

Yeah it can run stuff like Fire Punch for Mega Scizor now and that helps it, but that only really stands out to me for the aspect of emphasizing how dangerous scouting it out can be. (Or laughing at the idea of scouting it because "of course" it can't counter Mega Sciz- gone'd) Taking Ice Punch or Fire Punch or the like always hinders Diggerby's overall utility to get a niche use -a niche use that may fit well to a team, but it's still a downgrade in Diggerby's overall potential.

Whereas Knock Off cleanly removes a lot of checks, some of which were pretty shaky anyway. It also has the additional annoyance factor of letting Diggersby remove Leftovers/Rocky Helmets/etc, which can hurt some checks (Diggersby can actually 2HKO Quagsire if it isn't carrying Leftovers with Earthquake, if it gets lucky, vs Leftovers ensuring it can never 2HKO) and especially damages the ability to Rocky Helmet it to death -FakeSpeed Diggersby can fit in Knock Off to clear out Rocky Helmets on Scizor and the like, though I don't think this is a critical factor. (It's not like it turns Quagsire into a for-sure 2HKO)

To reiterate how I feel about setup, I refer to my points that Sableye and Quagsire can deal with it, while opposing FakeSpeed (or priority from something that resists Extreme Speed), Sturdy, phazing, and Red Card are also viable. These should not be hard to fit on a standard STABmons team and considering teams need to be prepared for setup in general, many provide overlap to other setup threats besides Diggersby.
FakeSpeed isn't a counter to an Extreme Speeder at +2 Speed -it's a way of getting in damage in spite of their own Extreme Speed, but then you either need to switch out to reset your Fake Out or be absolutely sure you'll survive the Extreme Speed in turn.

Sturdy is shaky. In addition to breaking it with Stealth Rock (Which is admittedly difficult to get set up in STABmons), Diggersby gets Bonemerang, which is Earthquake with a miss chance but punching right through Substitutes and Sturdy.

The only criticism I have of Red Card is that it's one-time, but that's fine because you usually only that that one use anyway. Well, that and it doesn't trigger if you're KOed, but generally a Red Carder has good reason to expect to survive.

I absolutely agree with phazing being a solid check to setup Diggersby, with the right Pokemon. I am concerned at how few Pokemon can both take a hit from +2 Diggersby/take two hits from Diggersby and phaze though. Part of the thing about Diggersby is that it gets Ground STAB coverage, as I've already commented on, and high Defense is heavily weighted toward Rock and Steel type Pokemon, which gives Diggersby much better ability to push through the toughest of the tough than other Normal types. (The primary exception being Skarmory, since its Flying typing protects it normally)

Two, I specifically mentioned ScrappyKhan doing Belly Drum better (Stoutland by extension does too thanks to Scrappy). I think Meloetta is a better Shell Smasher thanks to Judgment and Stored Power. Yes I know that Meloetta is special and Diggersby is physical, but I didn't make that distinction in my reasoning because I was addressing setup as a whole not contingent on the physical/special spectrum split.
Scrappys definitely have an advantage in not needing to run specific anti-Ghost coverage, and I should've acknowledged that, but I have some difficulty with the Meloetta comparison -either she's sacrificing a move slot for a mediocre Extreme Speed or she doesn't have any priority at all, which makes her considerably more vulnerable than Diggersby is -Diggersby can just push right through stuff like Water Shuriken or Ice Shard by Extreme Speeding for the priority advantage against anything that isn't capable of surviving a hit from it, so basically you have to be talking a Rock type (no priority on the type), a Steel type (has priority, but it's not strong against Diggersby and Diggersby isn't actually that fragile), a Ghost type (Shadow Sneak is useless: you need priority from a different type), or to just be really Physically bulky and/or Unaware. Meloetta can be taken down very consistently just by having priority at all, even though it isn't weak to anything except Sucker Punch, because it's very sub-optimal for it to run Extreme Speed and its Attack is bad enough that even at +2 it'll frequently do horribly inadequate damage with Extreme Speed, especially since you're probably not actually investing in Attack. (You need the Special Attack and Speed investment)

Certainly, against a team devoid of priority Meloetta is a terror -but everybody is starting from the assumption that FakeSpeeders are staples for everything, even stall, so I'm not sure how that's a particularly relevant statement. If priority is a given -and we're all treating it as being a given- then Meloetta is actually pretty weak. Nifty, but weak.

I should apologize though because I was lumping Pokemon with access to Normal into that statement, which would also include Espeon, Azumarill, and Talonflame.
I still don't get why people list Azumarill. In almost every STABmons-relevant respect it's a bad Diggersby, with less Attack, no Normal STAB, inferior coverage for Extreme Speed (Water doesn't hit Steel super effectively), and serious 4MSS if you're trying to take advantage without overlapping too heavily with Diggersby. (OK, so you replace Belly Drum with Shell Smash. You're Bad Standard Azumarill, But Fast. If you try to fit in Extreme Speed, you're sacrificing something and becoming more like Diggersby. If you instead decide to run OU Azumarill, but replace Knock Off with Extreme Speed, you've only really gained the ability to push past priority on enemies, and not the most important abusers. And on and on)

Espeon I'll admit has Magic Bounce, letting it laugh at Sableye, but it also struggles badly with Steel types, having to run either Shadow Ball or Hidden Power to push past them, and it is even worse than Meloetta about having bad priority -it doesn't have STAB on Extreme Speed and has even worse Attack, and it's overall more fragile than Meloetta to boot. Like I said with Meloetta, it would be a terror if priority wasn't a given in STABmons -but it is a given, so it's much more niche. (In fact, it's so much harder to Baton Pass off to Espeon in STABmons than in Standard that Espeon is leaning heavily on being granted Shell Smash to stay relevant)

Belly Drum Talonflame is for sure good, but is frustrated readily by Rock types, and even Judgment-based coverage can only take it so far. It's the only Pokemon in the meta that I can agree is better at setup sweeping in any substantial capacity (Out of named examples thus far), because Belly Drum Gale Wings Brave Bird laughs at non-FakeSpeed priority and hits incredibly hard in general, but it's horrified by Stealth Rock and even with heavy bulk investment is shut down badly by FakeSpeed, even if it has Extreme Speed itself.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Chatter doesn't Confuse unless the user is Chatot. If STABmons is doing anything different in that regard, it's incorrect behavior. So Chatter on other Pokemon is Hidden Power Flying without the IV requirement.
BZZZZZZZZT sorry, incorrect awnser.

if thats how you thought it was i got news for you son, you got 99 problems and new mechanics are one

chatter mechanics changed since chatter is no longer based on chatots gimmick. it was recently looked into(god knows why we never bothered before) and thats how it works.

I still don't get why people list Azumarill. In almost every STABmons-relevant respect it's a bad Diggersby, with less Attack, no Normal STAB, inferior coverage for Extreme Speed (Water doesn't hit Steel super effectively), and serious 4MSS if you're trying to take advantage without overlapping too heavily with Diggersby. (OK, so you replace Belly Drum with Shell Smash. You're Bad Standard Azumarill, But Fast. If you try to fit in Extreme Speed, you're sacrificing something and becoming more like Diggersby. If you instead decide to run OU Azumarill, but replace Knock Off with Extreme Speed, you've only really gained the ability to push past priority on enemies, and not the most important abusers. And on and on)
its attack is like what...6 off? also azu has an arguably better typing, and a way to get past sableye

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Water Shuriken (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 206-246 (67.7 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO given most sableye iirc run spc def investment, if it hits more then 3 times its a ko. OR you can be lame and run aqua jet
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 274-324 (90.1 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
in theory water shuriken gives a higher chance to ko though.

-1 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 204-242 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
it can also pressure landorus -t with a 2hko. i agree its a worse diggersby, HOWEVER its still something worth using, perhaps even WITH diggersby since it breaks 2 of diggers best counters. also water/normal hits more then you give it credit for. maybe not much super effectively, but still hits a lot. especially at +6

Last edited:
- Diggersby does well on both Stall and HO teams. I've been running a 252 HP/252 Atk Diggersby with Leftovers on my stall team for a long time now, so you ought to believe me when I say this.

- The ruling post by TEG mentioned everything that was discussed and not just FakeSpeed. Read it again.

- Scouting Diggersby is not hard. I'd like replays or any kind of proof as to things getting KOed while scouting Diggersby.

As for Thousand Arrows, I'm guessing the move itself should be considered as it is not any less broken on say, Landorus-T.

Inherently broken meta is inherently broken due to giving inherently broken moves to everything ever. Fail to see the point in banning another inherently broken move. If you have to ban Diggersby and the Landos when it comes out, ban Diggersby and the Landos (Garchomp? Maybe Tyranitar? I don't really see anyone else being broken with it). We didn't ban Boomburst or Shell Smash, we banned Porygon-Z, Sylveon, and Mega Altaria. And there was a lot of worrying about Boomburst, that it would further break mons down the ladder such as Meloetta, similar to the worry of Thousand Arrows being broken on every ground-type, that never came to pass.

EV

Banned deucer.
Inherently broken meta is inherently broken due to giving inherently broken moves to everything ever. Fail to see the point in banning another inherently broken move. If you have to ban Diggersby and the Landos when it comes out, ban Diggersby and the Landos (Garchomp? Maybe Tyranitar? I don't really see anyone else being broken with it). We didn't ban Boomburst or Shell Smash, we banned Porygon-Z, Sylveon, and Mega Altaria. And there was a lot of worrying about Boomburst, that it would further break mons down the ladder such as Meloetta, similar to the worry of Thousand Arrows being broken on every ground-type, that never came to pass.
Yes, you're right about most of it. However, TA gives Ground types the ability to hit a type they normally can't, unlike any other single move in the game and anything that runs it cuts its checks/counters instantaneously. The only move I can think of that comes close is Freeze-Dry, which bypasses a resisted hit, not an immunity.

I banned Sketch because it was obvious it was too good. Why not TA?

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Thats the thing about TA. Its not that it will completely destroy the entire meta, its that so many important mons become extremely good with it. Diggersby, Landorus-t, Tyranitar (which does get it), Mamoswine (one of its few true counters, skamory, is destroyed), Garchomp (no longer needs to run fire blast on scarf sets and has worlds more offensive presence), and also stuff like shift gear excadrill. They are all really centralizing, and although only diggersby and lant could be looked at as truly broken, many other mons become extremely good to the point where the move forces the meta to tailor mons to countering thousand arrows (grass types).

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Thousand arrows has 1 resistance in the ENTIRE GAME. and even THEN 70% of those resistances, have a different type that negates it. this isnt boomburst-which makes a move powerful but able to be resisted and walled, this is arrows, a slightly powerful move(think tbolt or ice beam power) that legitimatly has no way of resisting it.

252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 156-184 (44.3 - 52.2%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Quagsire: 229-271 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 300-354 (89.8 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 135-160 (36 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 169-199 (40.2 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
everything that can wall it is 3hkoed/2hkoed. if pokemon had a defensive version of chansey, we would probably actually consider arrows to not be broken enough to ban, but there simply is NOTHING that can safely take more then 3 arrows. on LANDORUS-T im not even going to talk about diggersby, also this move pretty much makes coverage a waste, so garchomp could just run sub swords dance, arrows, and probably precipice blades just for the extra power and it would be a massive pain to face.

BZZZZZZZZT sorry, incorrect awnser.

if thats how you thought it was i got news for you son, you got 99 problems and new mechanics are one

chatter mechanics changed since chatter is no longer based on chatots gimmick. it was recently looked into(god knows why we never bothered before) and thats how it works.
oh lovely

its attack is like what...6 off? also azu has an arguably better typing, and a way to get past sableye

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Water Shuriken (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 206-246 (67.7 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO given most sableye iirc run spc def investment, if it hits more then 3 times its a ko. OR you can be lame and run aqua jet
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 274-324 (90.1 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
in theory water shuriken gives a higher chance to ko though.
Sableye and Azumarill have the same base Speed, so unless you're assuming your Belly Drum Azumarill is heavily Speed invested (??) this is even less reliable than it looks, with the potential for Sableye to have speed-creeped you and reliably Topsy-Turvy you, let alone just losing the Speed tie or rolling too low on damage.

Also worth noting that Huge Power exaggerates it to effectively 12 points apart and depending on cut-offs Nature can add another point. (Nitpicking, but it's nitpicking to say that Azumarill is only a little weaker in Attack)

i agree its a worse diggersby, HOWEVER its still something worth using, perhaps even WITH diggersby since it breaks 2 of diggers best counters. also water/normal hits more then you give it credit for. maybe not much super effectively, but still hits a lot. especially at +6
I'm not saying Azumarill doesn't make sense to use, I'm saying it's bizarre to cite Azumarill as

-going to be broken if Diggersby is banned (claimed way earlier)

-better at setting up than Diggersby (Eevee General's claim)

if it's in most respects a bad Diggersby. How does Bad Diggersby outperform Diggersby, exactly?

I banned Sketch because it was obvious it was too good. Why not TA?
I'd always assumed Sketch was banned because it simply destroys the concept of STABmons by giving Normal types literally every move in the game other than Chatter, instead of every Normal move in the game.

- The ruling post by TEG mentioned everything that was discussed and not just FakeSpeed. Read it again.
Stop being a dick. I didn't say he didn't mention them, I said the primary focus was on FakeSpeed Diggersby, with Diggersby's other aspects seeming to be given short shrift. (And the claim that other Normal types are better at setup than Diggersby still doesn't really add up to me, barring that Scrappys can Extreme Speed through Sableye)

Insisting that Diggersby works just fine on Stall just reinforces the notion that Diggersby is very flexible, too, which is part of what has been brought up about Diggersby as contributing to it being very influential.

Thousand arrows has 1 resistance in the ENTIRE GAME.
The Bug type would like you remind you that it exists.

EV

Banned deucer.
I'm not saying Azumarill doesn't make sense to use, I'm saying it's bizarre to cite Azumarill as

-going to be broken if Diggersby is banned (claimed way earlier)

-better at setting up than Diggersby (Eevee General's claim)

if it's in most respects a bad Diggersby. How does Bad Diggersby outperform Diggersby, exactly?
I think it's better at setup because of its superior bulk and better typing. It can actually live something at -1 where Diggersby pretty much can't. And Azu will be faster than Sableye because it can afford to invest in Speed (see first sentence) while Sableye can only creep so far.

When it comes to something as drastic as banning a move, ignore the most obvious suspects. 99% chance it's broken on Lando/Diggersby, no point in arguing about that. Indeed, as I look at some calcs Garchomp and Excadrill (who I had honestly forgot existed - hardly ever saw him way back when I actually played) are right up there behind them as well. Instead, try and prove it broken on the less obvious ones. It will absolutely cause a meta shift, but metagame shifts happen. Garchomp really can't drop Fire Blast, as Thousand Arrows really does not improve its performance against bulky Bugs/Grass-types, indeed makes it harder to break through Forry/Ferro as it doesn't hit as hard as EQ or PB. Mamo will make an excellent wallbreaker but still won't be sweeping anytime soon. On Tyranitar, is non-STAB TA really any better than a non-STAB Fire Blast or Ice Beam? Argue against these guys, or even things like Gliscor, Swampert, Dugtrio, Krookodile, Zygarde, Flygon. Hell, even Quagsire. Prove its broken on them.

And no, this is nothing like the ban on Sketch. Sketch allowed Normal-types the use of any move in the game (including TA funnily enough), which is inherently against the spirit of the meta which restricted you to STABs. I also feel TA sets a big precedent - I can't think of any metas where an offensive move has been banned (fixed damage attacks aside).

EDIT: Note that I just want to see the debate happen, I'm probably not going to really take part in the debate. Not my style, and I don't really have any stakes in it as I have not played in a long time. It's just that all I've ever seen previously are people immediately dismissing it as a quickban without ever really taking a good look at it.

Last edited:

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
When it comes to something as drastic as banning a move, ignore the most obvious suspects. 99% chance it's broken on Lando/Diggersby, no point in arguing about that. Indeed, as I look at some calcs Garchomp and Excadrill (who I had honestly forgot existed - hardly ever saw him way back when I actually played) are right up there behind them as well. Instead, try and prove it broken on the less obvious ones. It will absolutely cause a meta shift, but metagame shifts happen. Garchomp really can't drop Fire Blast, as Thousand Arrows really does not improve its performance against bulky Bugs/Grass-types, indeed makes it harder to break through Forry/Ferro as it doesn't hit as hard as EQ or PB. Mamo will make an excellent wallbreaker but still won't be sweeping anytime soon. On Tyranitar, is non-STAB TA really any better than a non-STAB Fire Blast or Ice Beam? Argue against these guys, or even things like Gliscor, Swampert, Dugtrio, Krookodile, Zygarde, Flygon. Hell, even Quagsire. Prove its broken on them.

And no, this is nothing like the ban on Sketch. Sketch allowed Normal-types the use of any move in the game (including TA funnily enough), which is inherently against the spirit of the meta which restricted you to STABs. I also feel TA sets a big precedent - I can't think of any metas where an offensive move has been banned (fixed damage attacks aside).

EDIT: Note that I just want to see the debate happen, I'm probably not going to really take part in the debate. Not my style, and I don't really have any stakes in it as I have not played in a long time. It's just that all I've ever seen previously are people immediately dismissing it as a quickban without ever really taking a good look at it.
first, zygarde is the "main user" of tarrows, theres like...0 doubt it wont get it SOMEHOW(aka it will get it even WITH the ban). second, zygarde will perhaps be the best abuser being able to run dragon dance, coil, tarrows and substitute on the same set easily forgoing one of the three for espeed for priority(since it only needs stab coverage really)or precipice blades (120 base power move that always hits after a coil? have fun stall) for swampert, dugtrio, krook, and...flygon?! flygon is 100% outclassed barring levitate and has no reason to be used at ALL over garchomp/zygarde(defog aside, even then its not worth using over any normal or flying type). nice try though. but all of them help to get past one of the best defoggers in the teir: skarmory.

gliscor can run subtoxic without being cockblocked by skarm/weezing/flying types which is nice for it.

16 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 122-146 (36.5 - 43.7%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
thats the weakest attacker of the group. and most nowadays run the offensive set. arrows gets rid of the #1 stop to groundspam, and 70% of bugs/grass types run a dual typing that is WEAK to ground (poison and steel) and your "epic choices of walls" for tarrows users are the fearsome heracross, and the allmighty defensive shaymin. both of which are completely shit on by talonflame-one of the most common pokemon in the teir. most ground types have access to swords dance, and now they no longer need to use shit coverage. zygarde no longer needs outrage or crunch, garchomp no longer needs fire blast barring for scizor, tyranitar is rock type allready so it doesnt need arrows, precipice is obviously better. and all these pokemon you mention wall it, get set up on.

krookodile can now run arrows, knock off, stealth rock, and parting shot/dark void/spikes/taunt, without fearing skarm or other flying type defoggers completely cockblocking its defensive set (allthough krook is rarely used in the meta...i dont see the point of bringing it up tbh...)

dugtrio? well, being able to run a choice band set without being locked into EQ is nice...and i guess its sash set would like being able to run memento over stone edge...but again...its...its not really common enough to justify mentioning it...

and...quagsire? well...quagsire gets past flying types with arrows over EQ...and the 10 less attack is really worth it considering the damage output is BARELY noticeable...but...you know...its a wall...

however, even with all these, i of course, id also like to see a debate on it first too. just because tarrows sounds deadly (which it CAN be) it was overhyped in bh too, and ended up being something RARELY ran. HOWEVER, i also fear that people wont take stall into consideration when suspecting this (seriously, what can safely handle tarrows at +2 barring quagsire? )
especially when THIS might happen:252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake(arrows) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 127-151 (41.7 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

remember, i made it fairly clear that garchomp (and zygarde to an extent) lose barely ANY coverage by going double ground coverage (seriously, is there ANY bulky grass/bug types that are even relevant to stabmons? who aren't just set up fodder?)

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
actually, barring lacking fireblast (it does get focus blast though) and boomburst, zygarde has 1 more spc attack and 5 less speed, and even then....80 spc attack is nothing to write home about .-.

As is apparent by the calculations, TA is very good on Landorus-T and Diggersby. But its not just about the power - its about being prediction-proof.

Things like Garchomp and Tyranitar no longer need to burden them with Fire Blast, where they can utilize some other move to expand their already deadly coverage.

TA basically does the job of two moves together. That would put a lot offensive pressure. See how Scald is indispensible on Stall team. Now TA would be a better, offensive version. How would you feel if a new move, say Steam Eruption had a 100% burn rate?

Further, TA would invalidate Skarmory, the biggest Physical Check and in turn pave way to many more Ground types taking over the Metagame.

If all this can be prevented by removing TA from the equation, I say go for it.

I think it's better at setup because of its superior bulk and better typing. It can actually live something at -1 where Diggersby pretty much can't. And Azu will be faster than Sableye because it can afford to invest in Speed (see first sentence) while Sableye can only creep so far.
... um. Actually

Diggersby
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Def / 24 SpD / 32 Spe
Jolly Nature

Azumarill
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (Or Adamant alongside Diggersby running Adamant)

produces identical bulk, superior offense on Diggersby, and Diggersby has more Speed with these numbers.

And 52 EVs left over.

Of course, this was in the context of talking about Azumarill getting to beat up Sableye... but it still can't do it completely reliably after a Belly Drum, and by the way all of Stoutland, Kangaskhan, and Miltank of all things can also all A: do that same setup B: murder Sableye (100% reliably, unlike Azumarill: +6 252 Atk Miltank Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 327-385 (107.5 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO, where Miltank has the worst Attack of the three) and C: invest to be both faster and tougher than Azumarill, again.

So if we're talking Belly Drum Azumarill as compared against Belly Drum Diggersby... yeah, it can do this one thing, sometimes, hopefully... and then it has to compare itself to the Scrappys, and it comes up rather short at this task.

Meanwhile they all have superior damage off Extreme Speed, which is the preferred move to smack things around with off your Belly Drum if you're expecting priority or outsped anyway or both, have fewer weaknesses to pick on, and actually consistently have better damage against every Ghost except Aegislash, Chandelure, or Golurk, amusingly enough.

So that leaves our hypothetical speedy Azumarill putting itself in the position of being Bad Diggersby Except When Being Bad Kangaskhan/Stoutland/Miltank. Reducing the extent to which it invests in Speed just reduces the extent to which it is obviously the inferior model, until you get to a tolerably low Speed investment where you can have actual bulk, at which point you're dipping back into the danger zone of Sableye possibly Speed creeping you.

That leaves it with its typing, and one of biggest thing it has in its favor for this purpose is that it resists most priority in the game, where Diggersby is actually vulnerable to much of it, and never resistant -but Extreme Speed will push past those priority moves (Except Extreme Speed, which Azumarill will more consistently struggle with, because of its inferior Speed and lack of STAB on Extreme Speed) and render them irrelevant if you wipe the opposition out. So...

... basically, exactly what I've been saying: Azumarill is basically Bad Diggersby, with the caveat that it has a niche in being Bad Scrappys. This is much less true if we assume it's a bulky Azumarill instead, where Diggersby just cannot compete, even if Kangaskhan is actually even tougher...

(An additional caveat: I'm not 100% sure, but Azumarill might actually hit harder with Extreme Speed than Miltank, in spite of lack of STAB)

Thousand Arrows
Unless there's evidence I'm unaware of that it'll be released soon without any other, major unanticipated changes coming with it, this is all rather academic. Along comes Thousand Arrows, and also along comes other moves that make us forget that we were planning to be worried by Thousand Arrows?

EV

Banned deucer.
... um. Actually

Diggersby
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Def / 24 SpD / 32 Spe
Jolly Nature

Azumarill
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (Or Adamant alongside Diggersby running Adamant)
Besides what Adonzo said, I'm done having this conversation. Of course you can EV Diggersby to have identical bulk with a ludicrous spread like the one you just provided. But no one would ever use that. It's a bonkers argument and I'm not wasting my time with it anymore.

Um, I don't want to jump into this argument, but how is tailoring an EV spread to do what you want it to do "ludicrous"?

While I completely disagree with the decision, I do agree there's no point in arguing about it anymore, but I don't like seeing an argument dismissed as "ludicrous" and "bonkers" with nothing supporting it but "no one would ever use that", because...reasons, I guess?
If you don't want to argue anymore, fine. But I think you ended it far too aggressively and insultingly. Love and peace, guys.

EV

Banned deucer.
Um, I don't want to jump into this argument, but how is tailoring an EV spread to do what you want it to do "ludicrous"?

While I completely disagree with the decision, I do agree there's no point in arguing about it anymore, but I don't like seeing an argument dismissed as "ludicrous" and "bonkers" with nothing supporting it but "no one would ever use that", because...reasons, I guess?
If you don't want to argue anymore, fine. But I think you ended it far too aggressively and insultingly. Love and peace, guys.
I said that because he cherry picked the EVs to make Diggersby as bulky as Azumarill when the assumptions were not the same. When I say Azu has better bulk, I mean under the same conditions, i.e. 252 Atk / 252 Spe, Jolly / Adamant. And you can't tell me anyone uses those EVs purposefully because ... they want to match the bulk of Azumarill for no reason other than to sport the same bulk? Diggersby runs 252 Atk / Spe and either Jolly or Adamant. Rarely it opts for HP instead of Speed.

It's like saying "I can make Milotic as fast and strong as Keldeo with the right EV spread."

I wasn't trying to insult Ghoul King , rather I was exasperated with the strange positions taken up in the "debate."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)