Greninja @ Life Orb

Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Grass Knot

I chose greninja to be my lead because he can change types with the ability protean depending on the moves he uses. although I originally want him to hold choice band (does that even work? suggest another item below!) life orb gives him a large attack boost which is great for the moves he uses.

Metagross @ Life Orb

Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 224 Atk / 160 SpA / 124 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Grass Knot
- Bullet Punch

STAB Meteor Mash does immense amounts of damage with a Life Orb equipped, and it even has a 20% chance to increase Metagross's Attack by one stage. I am using metagross because even though it has low speed, it makes up a really great hard-hitter that can kill with one attack.

Goodra @ Leftovers

move 1: Dragon Pulse
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Toxic / Dragon Tail
ability: Sap Sipper / Gooey
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm / Sassy
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD

~I chose goodra because he is a really effective spD wall which can fend of spA greninjas and other 'mons who focuses on the spA side. this is not my moveset for goodra, and this movesets credit goes to TaBuu.

Scizor @ Scizorite

Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Superpower
- U-turn

~ I wanted to choose scizor because I need a hit-and-run support for my team. with the ability light metal, his weight is halved which would give him a small chance to hit U-Turn first and revenge kill or hiy opposing switch ins. At the same time, Bullet Punch does at least 54% to bulky Geomancy Xerneas, and roost gives consistent recovery.

Tank Torterra @ Leftovers

Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Synthesis

~ I used Torterra because I needed a really strong tank. great at setting up entrace hazards if the opposing team tries to improve its stats and can live pretty long in a game since shell armour prevents crits and synthesis heals him big.

Swampert @ Choice Band

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Superpower
- Waterfall

~I chose swampert because he is my favourite pokemon that can hold off dragon types with ice-type moves. He also has a really strong STAB earthquake attack to fend off some physical walls. If the opponent has a flying-type or a levitate user, I can use waterfall as another STAB attack.

{[ PLEASE NOTE]} I am new to competitive battling so I donot know much. any tips, tricks or teaks are great! I want to get more experience so I can get better. thx for helping!

~G-Sect

I'll just go over each mon with you.

Greninja's set is pretty standard here. Choice Band set is almost non-existent in OU, but you can try it with Water Shuriken, Low Kick, Gunk Shot, and Rock Slide or anything from Greninja's okay physical movepool. I'd say this is a pretty solid choice because currently there is little reason not to use Greninja on a hyper offense team in OU after it gained Low Kick and Gunk Shot. However, the normal OU ladder is replaced with OU Suspect Test ladder at the moment and this ladder bans the use of Greninja.

Before ORAS was fully released, Metagross was solidly UU and had little to no niche in OU. It only rose to S rank now because of its powerful mega evolution. Metagross is not fast at all (70 base speed ties with Bisharp and loses to Heatran), and does not hit hard enough without boosts. Therefore, its Life Orb set is usually complemented by Agility. Even though Metagross has Agility to boost its mediocre speed, any team with good bulk can stall out Metagross with LO recoil as Metagross does not have a damage-boosting move. With a few changes, Metagross might be the element of surprise on your team.

You said you want Goodra as a check to Greninja, but your set still allows Greninja to guarantee 2HKO with Ice Beam while Goodra is unable to OHKO back. For a better Greninja check and a special wall, I suggest Chansey in place of this pokemon.

You said you want a hit-and-run support for your team, but the set isn't a supportive set. You should run defog instead of Superpower or something to make Scizor a "support". In addition, light metal should almost never be used on Scizor as Technician almost always outclasses it. Technician gives 50% boost on Bullet Punch, Pursuit, Bug Bite, and other moves with base power lower than 60 to make Scizor a terrifying priority attacker. Also, you should know that Xerneas is banned to Ubers so you shouldn't consider that in your team building.

Torterra is in no way a strong tank in OU. Its base stats are not bad for a defensive mon, but Grass/Ground is a terrible typing that puts it at terrible situations against the best mons in OU (Greninja Ice Beam, Mega-Metagross Ice Punch, Thundurus HP Ice, Keldeo Icy WInd, etc.) If you want a bulky Stealth Rock setter, Skarmory, Landorus-T, Clefable, Heatran, and more are all much better choices.

Swampert's role seems kind of redundant with Metagross in the team, plus this set is not really viable in OU. Swampert would have to hit-and-run most of the time and its moves are more or less predictable. In addition, this set is directly outclassed by Azumarill. Azumarill runs Water and Fairy Type Stabs which are fantastic in OU right now, plus it has Aqua jet, a priority move, to make up for its speed. Azumarill is a counter to most Dragon types and can opt to run Ice Punch if you choose to do so.

This team still needs lots of editing, but your team building skills will improve as you ladder more and understands how to consider the synergy of a team, the roles of each mon, and the viability overall. Great start, keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)