ORAS OU Bulky Offense around Mega Altaria

Team Preview

Since the beginning of OR/AS, I've have had massive trouble getting into the new meta with the new amount of possibilities. This team drafted around Mega Altaria is my first decent team since ORAS but I still have Trouble going higher on the ladder so I wanted to get some suggestions what to improve. Hope you enjoy. Thank you!

In-Depth

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost
- Earthquake

Mega Altaria is the star of my team, she switches in as soon as the dangerous steel types are gone. Impish allows her to tank physical attacks while setting up one or two Dragon Dances. The moves are pretty standard, Return the wrecking stab of choice while Earthquake is to suprise opposing Heatrans. Roost to restore the health and increase its durability.

Now since my main was set, I needed someone bulky to cover Altaria's Steel, Poison, Fairy and Ice Weakness AND being able to remove entry hazards for my team

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

I decided to go for a defensive variant of Scizor since it's only weakness is a 4x Fire weakness. It's my counter for all Fairy types in OU while keeping the battle ground hazards free. The EV Spread ensures that scizor even takes boosted hits. U-Turn is to soft switch out when facing a slower Opponent I can't do anything while Bullet Punch is the Stab of Choice thanks to Technician.

Now my team has two defensive Pokemon: But it still lacks special defensive Pokemon and is vulnerable like Hell to Will-O-Wisps. I decided to go for a Flash Fire User. Someone who can deal with Flamethrower Clefables and Birdspam. I decided to go with AV Heatran.

Heatran @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Lava Plume

This Set, which can also be called "Screw you, Talonflame", is my favourite. The Assault Vest + EV Spread ensures that even super effective Special Attacks don't do much:

252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Heatran: 204-240 (52.8 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Do I need to say more about this special defense? Ancient Power is to deal with Talonflame and other flying Pokemon, with a small chance of a boost to all stats. Earthpower to hit other Fire Pokemon, Flash Cannon for Fairies and Lava Plume for steel types (Bisharp, Ferrothorn etc) and trying to burning Sweepers thanks to the 30 % Burn Chance.

Now with all these Chanseys and Bisharps, I wanted a fighting Type in my Team.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Conkeldurr came first in my mind when thinking about bulky fighting types. Put an Assault Vest on this Thing, give it Guts and it's ready to wreak havoc. I'm running the typical Conkeldurr Moveset. Mach Punch for Priority, Drain Punch for Stab and Recovery, Ice Punch for Landorus and Knock off to well... knock off ?

Since both Conkeldurr and Heatran have a fighting weakness, I needed someone to resist it. And since I still need something to counter Mega Venusaur LO Sheer Force Landorus with Psychic seems perfect on this team.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Stone Edge

I decided to go for a mixed Landorus since I wanted a Rock Attack on this thing. Psychic to counter Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss, Earth Power for stab of choice and Sludge Bomb for coverage. The EV Spread is to outspeed the majority of the Tier (minus Greninja and Keldeo obviously)

Last but not least, I wanted a bulky Water Type with reliable Recovery who can soak up all those Water and Ice Attacks aimed at Landorus.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

Milotic is able to perform a great core with Landorus since Landorus is immune to electricity and neutral to grass, both weaknesses of Milotic, while Milotic covers Landorus' Weaknesses. It's also the best answer, I have to opposing Landorus Therian Leads thanks to its Ability Competitive. Ice Beam for coverage and Scald is the Stab with a nice burn chance. Toxic and Recover for stalling.

Threats
- Greninja: If It's being well-played, It can cause serious damage but seriously, which Team isn't Ninja Weak?
- Mega Slowbro: This Thing is just so bulky and if it starts setting up CMs, then GG. I can toxic stall with Milotic though but that's already it.

I would say put leftovers instead of assault vest on heatran because we all know heatran can take a hit but it also needs to gain hp to live another hit if at low hp.

I would say put leftovers instead of assault vest on heatran because we all know heatran can take a hit but it also needs to gain hp to live another hit if at low hp.
Hey, thanks for your Input. Tried Leftovers instead of the AV but the loss of bulk on the special side is actually remarkable so I'll probably stay with the AV.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, pretty weird looking team, but whatever floats your boat.

Knock Off> Stone Edge on Landorus. Sludge Wave already bops Talonflame, and Knock Off gives you a good way to hit the Lati Twins on switch.

Marvel Scale> Competitive on Milotic. Only use Competitive on purely offensive sets. Marvel Scale give you a ton of more bulk and let's your Milotic act as a status absorber for your team.

Sludge Wave> Sludge Bomb. Sheer Force negates the secondary effect so Sludge Wave gives you more power with literally 0 downsides.

252 ATK/228 SpD/24 Spe> your spread on Conkeldurr. Conk has I think base 105 HP, so you actually gain more bulk with this spread. Also allows you to get a little speed creep on opposing Conk and whatever else.

Optional, but maybe you want to try mono attacking Altaria? Between Milotic, your Heatran, Landorus, and Conkeldurr, you have more than enough ways to beat Heatran and MegaMeta. Substitute over Earthquake helps you prevent status and gives you protection to set up.

Hope I could help lol

Hey, pretty weird looking team, but whatever floats your boat.

Knock Off> Stone Edge on Landorus. Sludge Wave already bops Talonflame, and Knock Off gives you a good way to hit the Lati Twins on switch.

Marvel Scale> Competitive on Milotic. Only use Competitive on purely offensive sets. Marvel Scale give you a ton of more bulk and let's your Milotic act as a status absorber for your team.

Sludge Wave> Sludge Bomb. Sheer Force negates the secondary effect so Sludge Wave gives you more power with literally 0 downsides.

252 ATK/228 SpD/24 Spe> your spread on Conkeldurr. Conk has I think base 105 HP, so you actually gain more bulk with this spread. Also allows you to get a little speed creep on opposing Conk and whatever else.

Optional, but maybe you want to try mono attacking Altaria? Between Milotic, your Heatran, Landorus, and Conkeldurr, you have more than enough ways to beat Heatran and MegaMeta. Substitute over Earthquake helps you prevent status and gives you protection to set up.

Hope I could help lol
Thanks for the suggestions! Whats so weird on this team? Isn't most on this standard OU, what would you change?
Would u-Turn on Landorus also be a good option? Since it hits the Lati Twins as well and I already have 2x Knock Off on my team.
I'll try the Mono Attacking Altaria out, seems like a great Idea.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the suggestions! Whats so weird on this team? Isn't most on this standard OU, what would you change?
Would u-Turn on Landorus also be a good option? Since it hits the Lati Twins as well and I already have 2x Knock Off on my team.
I'll try the Mono Attacking Altaria out, seems like a great Idea.
It was weird bc of all the weird sets, but hopefully some of the changes will make it better. U-Turn would work, as it does gain momentum, but it won't kill Lati Twins without prior damage, which Knock Off can pretty much always guarantee an OHKO after rocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)