ORAS NU Swelurke Mods please lock!

Should I replace U-Turn on Speccelgor with Final Gambit?

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
This is one of my first ORAS NU teams so I may need to do a little bit of fiddling with it. I built this core around Golurk.

Armaldo (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- X-Scissor

I needed a Stealth Rock setter, and Armaldo had so much utility, I figured he would be perfect.
He is one of the few people in NU with access to both Stealth rock and Rapid spin, giving him great utility in assisting my team.
The set is pretty self explanatory, the EVs are to give me as much bulk as possible, leftovers for recovery, and Knock off is to remove Eviolite, Leftovers, and more. X-Scissor is here to hit Uxie harder than Rock slide.

Swellow (F) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Swellow is here for a good revenger and cleaner, he hits hard, and he hits fast. He uses U-turn to get out of trouble.
Since this gen, Burdspam is a thing, I figured someone like Swellow would be very useful to my team, plus, his high speed makes him able to out speed just about anybody un boosted.
Sets is pretty standard I feel. I chose Roost so I could recover HP against people as they use Protect trying to wait out my Burn.

Golurk @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

I needed a wallbreaker, and Golurk's wide coverage and high attack made him a strong candidate.
Drain punch is for breaking bulky/annoying Normal types, plus it heals me, punishing High HP switch ins, Shadow Punch deals with Uxie, Fire punch roasts Ferroseed, and Earthquake pretty much hurts everything.

Accelgor (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- U-turn

I HATE Substitute, Bug Buzz punishes that, I needed a fast special person, and Accelgor seemed a good choice. Usually Specellgor takes out one or two people or simply switches out with U-Turn. Specs allows him to hit harder, Sludge Bomb hits Audino-M hard, and Giga drain allows me to heal.

Samurott (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

A water type would patch up a few flaws in my core, and I figured Samurott was the strongest. I usually use him just whenever. I chose Scald as my STAB move as Hydro Pump has atrocious accuracy, and fewer people want to switch into it than Surf. HP fire is for Ferroseed. Max HP is to take on Typhlosion better.

Rotom-Fan @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Volt Switch

I needed a statuser, and Rotom was so versatile that I just had to use him. Dual Screens to assist team, and Volt switch forms a triple Volt-turn with Accel and Swellow.

Please excuse any problems with the formatting, the posting guide was very confusing to me.
Constructive criticism is allowed, but if you only have rude things to say, please keep it to yourself.
I need a bit of help though, this team has trouble with Ice and Rock types, suggestions?

Yeesh. No wonder you have trouble with ice and rock types. 4 of your team is weak to rock types with only 1 resist, and half your team is weak to ice types. For starters, I'd recommend switching Rotom-Fan to Rotom- Rotom can do everything Rotom-Fan is doing here, and it doesn't stack those type weaknesses. If you wanted to deal with your rock weakness further, a pokemon that could replace Armaldo would be Kabutops- it can learn all 3 utility moves your Armaldo has, and has much faster speed without sacrificing too much in any of its other stats.
The biggest problem with Kabutops would be that it's stacking an electric weakness, and would render half your team weak to electric, but you do have 1 resist and 1 immunity, so it would still be better than the rock weakness Armaldo stacks. Losing X-Scissor to deal with Uxie isn't too big of a deal, as you do have Accelgor on your team.

Yeesh. No wonder you have trouble with ice and rock types. 4 of your team is weak to rock types with only 1 resist, and half your team is weak to ice types. For starters, I'd recommend switching Rotom-Fan to Rotom- Rotom can do everything Rotom-Fan is doing here, and it doesn't stack those type weaknesses. If you wanted to deal with your rock weakness further, a pokemon that could replace Armaldo would be Kabutops- it can learn all 3 utility moves your Armaldo has, and has much faster speed without sacrificing too much in any of its other stats.
The biggest problem with Kabutops would be that it's stacking an electric weakness, and would render half your team weak to electric, but you do have 1 resist and 1 immunity, so it would still be better than the rock weakness Armaldo stacks. Losing X-Scissor to deal with Uxie isn't too big of a deal, as you do have Accelgor on your team.
Yeah, I know my team is really weak to ice and rock, hence why I made this thread hoping to find suggestions. I didn't want to use regular Rotom because his appliance forms have much better bulk, so they can switch into stuff, though I may switch him out for Rotom-frost of another statuser. I just might take that suggestion for Kabutops though, as I would appreciate another water type. Also, Energy ball > Giga drain on Specellgor?

While Rotom-Frost would help with the ice weakness, it would still have problems with the rock weakness, which your team has way more problems with. You're right that Rotom has much less bulk than its appliance forms, but that has to be balanced out with type weaknesses- there's a reason Rotom is in NU while Rotom-Frost is in PU. Ice-type is horrible defensively, and Rotom actually tends to do a better job defending in NU.

If you're looking for a non-Rotom replacement, then I'm afraid that I can't find another pokemon which can serve as dual screens setter, will-o-wisper, and which helps with the volt-turn core. Just finding a different pokemon in NU that sets dual screens and can will-o-wisp is something I'm having trouble thinking of. I can, however, think of a good bulky pokemon that can learn dual screens and toxic- Audino will do that fine- I'd recommend normal Audino over Mega because of how Mega Audino loses Regenerator.

The biggest problem with getting rid of your Rotom-Form is that there would only be one resist against electric (Golurk), if you choose Kabutops, that would leave half your team weak to electric without nearly enough resists. That's not mentioning the grass weakness Kabutops would add, though there would still be more pokemon on the team resisting that. I know I'm starting to mess with your team a lot, but if you really wanted to keep two water-types, then an alternate choice to Samurott, which would not stack weaknesses too much would be Ludicolo. Being part grass-type, it is not weak to both grass and electric type attacks, and it doesn't stack any other significant weaknesses for your team. If you wanted it to function as a sweeper, rain dance with swift swim cause it to outspeed most of the tier. If you're not dead set on having two water types, then Mesprit would be another viable choice to replace Samurott with.

However, your mentality of wanting to have two of the same type is something to watch out for- most of the time, it's just stacking weaknesses and something to work more on avoiding than on actively seeking out.

Finally, I'm honestly not sure which is better for Specellgor- both are viable options. I'd personally go with energy ball on a specs set, and giga drain on a non-Specs set, but that's really my personal preference. I'd recommend experimenting with both and seeing what works best for you- that's what I do when I can't decide between two team options.

Yeah, I've noticed I have been having trouble with Liligant (mostly Sleep Powder) but Kabutops seems to be working very well at the moment. The only members I am firm on keeping are Swellow, Golurk, and Accelgor. All I care about the rest are a rocks setter/ remover, a bulky special person, and a Will-o-wisp user.

Ah- if you specifically want a Will-o-Wisper, and any other status conditions won't do, then Weezing can be a good choice. It has the bulk you're looking for, although it doesn't have dual screens for team support. It does have toxic spikes for team support though, although there you're getting into 4 moveslot syndrome by then having to decide between toxic spikes and flamethrower (to deal with steel types). Pain split is a necessity for recovery with Weezing, and Sludge Bomb is basic STAB.

If you want a bulky special person, then Uxie is one of the bulkiest in the tier while still offering good special offense. When I had originally offered Mesprit, I had mistakenly thought you'd have wanted reasonably fast offense over bulk.

Having decided the team in the OP to be a bit bad terrible, I decided to sit down and rework the core, this time ignoring Swellow. So far for the team I have:
Cradily for Rocks
???? for fast physical
Golurk for wall breaking
Speccelgor for what he does (LoL)
Samurott for bulky special
Liepard for support

I need help choosing a fast physical person, so far my team's standing is:
Weak to:
Ice
Grass
Bug
Flying
Fairy (not really concerned here)

Resists/immune to
Normal (X2)
Poison (X2)
Water
Electric
Ground
Psychic

I have also decided for fast physical to be one of the following:
Scarf Tauros
Slaking
Scarf Primeape
Scarf Electivire
I am currently leaning towards Electivire as he would help with sleep abusers, which of these four would you guys recommend?
BTW Shiny FairyMon, thanks a heap for the help.

Yeah- the team was pretty bad, but I didn't want to mess with your original work too much. In the future, a good site to check your type strengths and weaknesses when building a team is here: http://www.teammagma.net/teambuilder/. It's the place that I tend to use myself. Not only does it allow you to test for basics like type weaknesses and resistances, but if you put your movesets in, it also tests for type coverage.

If you want a fast physical, then anything but Slaking. But seriously, Slaking rarely works well on a team. Electivire, however, seems like a decent choice. To be honest, it's probably the one pokemon of the four above choices that I would have chosen to use in the first place. It has the best overall stats by far of the other 'mons, and its only downside is how rarely its ability is going to be used, in comparison to the great abilities of Tauros (Sheer Force) and Primeape (Defiant). And it seems like Electivire meshes rather fine with your new team, and definitely has coverage moves against the tier's most common sleep inducers.

Yeah- the team was pretty bad, but I didn't want to mess with your original work too much. In the future, a good site to check your type strengths and weaknesses when building a team is here: http://www.teammagma.net/teambuilder/. It's the place that I tend to use myself. Not only does it allow you to test for basics like type weaknesses and resistances, but if you put your movesets in, it also tests for type coverage.

If you want a fast physical, then anything but Slaking. But seriously, Slaking rarely works well on a team. Electivire, however, seems like a decent choice. To be honest, it's probably the one pokemon of the four above choices that I would have chosen to use in the first place. It has the best overall stats by far of the other 'mons, and its only downside is how rarely its ability is going to be used, in comparison to the great abilities of Tauros (Sheer Force) and Primeape (Defiant). And it seems like Electivire meshes rather fine with your new team, and definitely has coverage moves against the tier's most common sleep inducers.
Electivire it is. I will ask one of the mods to lock this now, as I am done with this team. Maybe the new one will have better luck, I guess Golurk should never be put on the same team as Swellow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)