Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a question regarding the greninja suspect test, can we make multiple alts to vote or is there just one we can vote on?
If you mean multiple alts to qualify, that's fine. If you mean multiple alts on Smogon, that's a fast way to get yourself in huge trouble.
Pretty sure you can only vote once, though.

A question from me: What's the best way to get started in tournaments? I know what I'm doing when I play, but I've never been in a "real" tournament before. What tournament should I look out for to join?

Seismitoad is pretty much a Swampert that doesn't take up your Mega Slot (That's a special attacker). It actually hits a but harder since it has a Life Orb boosted Hydro Pump instead of Waterfall. It really depends on what your team needs if you find it viable or not. It's also immune to T-Wave, as Kurona said.

Is Zen Headbutt really worth considering over Psycho Cut on Mega Gallade? 10% increase in power for 10% worse accuracy just seems like a really bad deal unless there are some crucial ohko's or 2hko's I don't know of.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What EVs would you run on tha defensive pivot Rotom-W?
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD or 248 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe

Both with a Bold nature.

The first spread is simple and maximizes physical bulk while the second compromises a bit of defense to be able to outspeed jolly belly drum azumarill and defensive landorus-t.

248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD or 248 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe

Both with a Bold nature.

The first spread is simple and maximizes physical bulk while the second compromises a bit of defense to be able to outspeed jolly belly drum azumarill and defensive landorus-t.
Ah, tha same spread as XY. I heard somewhere around tha hood that 124 SpD was a good idea in ORAS but since ninja is likely to be banned I guess I don't really need that.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A good set for mega Latias? (Since the competitive Dex doesn't have any)
Pretty simple calm mind set, that's really the best choice for it.

name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Substitute / Dragon Pulse
move 3: Stored Power / Psyshock
move 4: Roost
ability: Levitate
item: Latiasite
evs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
nature: Bold

Speed explanation:
  • 80 Speed for Adamant Excadrill which is the minimum you should use
  • 116 Speed outspeeds +Speed Base 80s, specifically Mamoswine, Gallade and Gardevoir pre-evo
  • 128 Speed outspeeds Jolly Gyarados
  • 136 Speed outspeeds max Speed neutral-natured Kyurem-B and Gliscor (which doesn't really exist tbh but better be safe)
  • 160 Speed outspeeds Mega-Pinsir and Mega-Heracross pre-evo
  • 176 Speed outspeeds max speed base neutral base 100s

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Whats a good set for stallbreaker Togekiss? The one on the smogdex seems like it wouldn't be as effective in oras.

Why is CM Clefable so good specifically on Balance teams, as opposed to the other archetypes? And how viable is any given Balance team without Clefable? (ignoring Greninja since it poops on balance and would probably take over the answer.) I like Balance the best of any archetype but I find myself relying on Clefable too much when I really think I shouldn't be.

Ok, I'm in the middle of teambuilding, and the last mon I need is a pivot/Rocks setter. Would Lando-T, Jirachi, or another mon that I'm forgetting work best with this gang:

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Energy Ball

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

Bisharp (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Talonflame (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Why is CM Clefable so good specifically on Balance teams, as opposed to the other archetypes? And how viable is any given Balance team without Clefable? (ignoring Greninja since it poops on balance and would probably take over the answer.) I like Balance the best of any archetype but I find myself relying on Clefable too much when I really think I shouldn't be.
It's good because it provides a typing that mitigates the effectiveness of dangerous offensive Dragon types, has offensive presence behind its boosting move, with the potential to break stall through the use of its abilities, plus added coverage and utility to boot. Clefable is for the most part one of the best glues for Balance and there's a good reason why it was used so much during XY and as of now during the current suspect test.
Ok, I'm in the middle of teambuilding, and the last mon I need is a pivot/Rocks setter. Would Lando-T, Jirachi, or another mon that I'm forgetting work best with this gang:

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Energy Ball

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

Bisharp (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Talonflame (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog
Lando-T seems like the best pivot if you want both a pivot and rocks setter although this will make the team a bit weak to Bisharp however the trade off is important cause right now your team is dangerously weak to Talonflame, while Bisharp can be played around with proper plays. Jirachi wouldn't fit because then it's just weak to Bisharp, Gengar, and Talonflame all at once. So yeah I would go with Lando-T personally.

Does Latios lose any meaningful match-ups in OU by having a DEF IV of 20-22?

I'm SRing for Latios in Omega Ruby atm, and I got one with 31/31/20-22/31/31/31

I might keep it but I'm unsure if 9 to 11 points in defense is going to result in Latios losing any meaningful match-ups.

Please VM responses.

Does Latios lose any meaningful match-ups in OU by having a DEF IV of 20-22?

I'm SRing for Latios in Omega Ruby atm, and I got one with 31/31/20-22/31/31/31

I might keep it but I'm unsure if 9 to 11 points in defense is going to result in Latios losing any meaningful match-ups.

Please VM responses.
Honestly I doubt you're ever going to get anything better than that and Latios is a little frail on the physical defence side regardless; it fears pursuits and sucker punches and knock offs no matter what. Just go with it tbh.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So I just got my reqs for the Kermit suspect test, is there not a thread to confirm your alt yet? I cannot find such a thread atm

So I just got my reqs for the Kermit suspect test, is there not a thread to confirm your alt yet? I cannot find such a thread atm
No, there isn't a confirmation thread just yet, that will come around at the time of the suspect ending. I would suggest just saving the screenshot of your reqs somewhere until then.

Why doesnt my sitrus berry activate after belly drum for my azumarill? It is 92Hp/252Atk/rest in speed. Is it because its level 100? I tested this out on battle Maison on which scales it to LV50 187 HP(LV100 364 HP). I used belly drum and it cuts down to 94 HP(still green) and it doesn't activate. The opponent is a breloom which doesn't have unnerve. It activates after getting hit by mach punch however...

Why doesnt my sitrus berry activate after belly drum for my azumarill? It is 92Hp/252Atk/rest in speed. Is it because its level 100? I tested this out on battle Maison on which scales it to LV50 187 HP. I used belly drum and it cuts down to 94 HP(still green) and it doesn't activate. The opponent is a breloom which doesn't have unnerve. It activates after getting hit by mach punch however...
Because it has to get to half health or lower. 94 HP is just above half of 187. I recommend taking enough EVs off so it's HP becomes an even number.

Because it has to get to half health or lower. 94 HP is just above half of 187. I recommend taking enough EVs off so it's HP becomes an even number.
Hm kinda strange since I took the ev spread off one of the threads. I'll continue reseaeching. Thanks!

What's a good EV spread for Choices Specs Sylveon?
244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe is the most common one. This allows you to maximize your bulk and power while running enough speed to outpace minimum speed t-tar. Of course, the Speed can steal EVs from HP to outspeed different threats. For instance, another possible one is 168 HP/ 252 SpA/ 88 Spe to outspeed standard specs Magnezone.

Reactions: TLS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)