Other The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition (Discussing Gardevoir sets) Check Post #920

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fly gets you that extra turn of leftovers recovery lol.
I've used BU thund in the past and it's cool when it works... but usually I am wishing it was mixed set bc having to rely on fly and bulk up to do decent damage is lame. Also the recoil from wild charge sucks for something that's supposed to counter birds
And thunder punch is weak

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Bulk Up
- Fly

I'm not sure about EV's as even bulkier might be better. Basically you let this guy loose once you see the enemy has no more special attackers or you see a good opportunity to setup. You sub or paralyze the opposing Pokemon and start spamming Bulk Ups and Subs while hoping for hax. You then start the Bird Spam with Fly since it has no immunities, is STAB, and gives you extra turns for leftovers recovery. It might work as a lure vs common counters like Conkeldurr and Chansey so you can use em as setup ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. For the set to work Dugtrio/Magnezone might be useful to kill stuff like Heatran/Skarmory. It can still prankster T-wave to stop sweeps and it turns Talonflame into setup bait.

Edit: I got a replay where the opposing player's brain 404s trying to comprehend WTF is happening. In a terrible move he ends up sacing Keldeo his only chance of potentially turning the game around. The game was fairly low elo though.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-197032498

Last edited:
Well that set is really similar to Bongmaster's set, but I'll accept it because the EV spread goes for a more bulkier set up, and sub + t wave eases setting up.

SketchUp's Taunt Switch Thundurus
TheInsanity's Sludge Wave Lure Thundurus
BONGMASTER420's Physical Thundurus
AM's Heal Block Thundurus
Jukain's Rain Dance support Thundurus
Live4evil's SubBulkUp Thundurus

Ok, today is friday, meaning that we will be voting tomorrow, and on sunday. I will be gone on tuesday til the end of winter break, so I'll try my best to keep this thread active, but don't expect too much activity from me. The new subject will be chosen after I come back.
Happy holidays!

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Heal Block Thundurus

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heal Block
- Thunder Wave

Ok so when I showed this to some friends they asked why would I use Heal Block > Taunt like they always do because I tend to use a lot of lures that nobody bothers to look into. The premise behind Heal Block is to mitigate recovery entirely. Heal Block stops Leftovers recovery, the recovery from Toxic damage by Poison Heal users such as Gliscor and Breloom, the recovery from Drain Punch and Giga Drain, think Conkeldurr and M-Sceptile with the former a common switch in on non HP Flying variants, any sort of recovery moves which is what Defensive builds rely upon. The added benefit of Heal Block is that it lasts 5 turns as opposed to Taunts 3 turns which will force opponents to endure the offense behind Thundurus and its teammates or forced to switch due to its longer lasting effects. Thunder Wave is on the set to slow down offense but theoretically you can run a full stall-breaker set with Taunt / Heal Block and even the Volt switch variant and leftovers to gain both stall-breaking utility and momentum with that pivoting tool if necessary. But yeah something to try out and if anything think about in regards to looking at whatever is available to you.
I don't know if this really matters, but according to Bulbapedia Heal Block does not prevent recovery from Black Sludge.

I don't know if this really matters, but according to Bulbapedia Heal Block does not prevent recovery from Black Sludge.
Doesn't really make a difference, since the most common black sludge user in the tier (gengar) doesn't like taking a life orb thunderbolt, or getting neutered by thunder wave.

Today is saturday, so that means we are voting for today and tomorrow. Everyone please write in bold the set that you are voting for. Thanks :]

Here are the entries:
AM's Heal Block Thundurus
Jukain's Rain Dance support Thundurus

I'm voting for Jukain's Rain Dance support Thundurus

And here are the standings:
AM's Heal Block Thundurus - 4
Jukain's Rain Dance support Thundurus - 9

Last edited:
K, I'll just wrap up the voting period right now, since right now there are 13 votes, and even if AM's set gets 2 more votes, it can't beat jukain's set (sorry AM)
So the winner is Jukain's Rain Dance Support Thundurus!
Our new test subject will be...

Kyurem-Black

Man, you went from a large movepool to a dry one. Guess I'll try one. Here's Choice Band Kyurem-B (I'm hoping it counts since I think Band is only used in Doubles).

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Claw / Iron Head

Basically the ultimate destroyer of walls. If you predict a switch-in, click the appropriate move, watch it crumble, and GTFO. If you're lucky and anything faster than it is dead and there are no fairies, click Outrage and watch as everything dies.

As stated before, about the only things that can survive a max attack banded Outrage are Faries and the sturdiest of physical walls. Fusion Bolt is another solid physical move that lets it get by a lot of things that Outrage can't, particularly Skarmory and Azumarill. Even with Adamant, Ice Beam will still take out Landorus and Gliscor. Dragon Claw gives you a strong STAB move if your opponent still has something in the back that would make it detrimental to be locked into Outrage. Iron Head can be used over Dragon Claw to wipe out just about any Fairy bar Azumarill, but it's generally worse to be locked into than Dragon claw, so it should only be used if you need a lure.

Last edited:
This is the set I'm using, and it so over powered in the current meta. I know that it's a some what standard set, but K-B doesn't have a whole lot of options, so this one should be OK.

Life Orb Attacker
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 56 HP / 216 SpA / 236 Spe
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt

Most people don't expect a Life Orb. They usually expect Scarf or Band, and man is this thing a powerhouse. Even though its Attack is better than it's Special Attack, nothing it can dish out should be taken lightly. You often forget that Kyurem can hit things like Rotom since it has Teravolt. This particular set has a hard time with Fairies, but not a lot else walls it. Opponents usually don't see Roost coming either, so that makes up for the Life Orb.

Okay I guess I'll accept those sets since cube doesn't have that many options anyways. What I don't want is people just copying sets off of the analysis.

Right now we have:
Sanger Zonvolt's CB Kyurem-B
Recreant's Life Orb 3 attacks + Roost Kyurem-B

Last edited:
Man, you went from a large movepool to a dry one. Guess I'll try one. Here's Choice Band Kyurem-B (I'm hoping it counts since I think Band is only used in Doubles).
Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Claw / Iron Head

Should be self-explanatory: If you have a wall, destroy it. If you predict a switch-in, break it. If you're lucky and anything faster than it is dead and there are no fairies, click Outrage. Even with Adamant, Ice Beam will still take out Landorus and Gliscor. Dragon Claw is a little more spammable than Iron Head, but Iron Head can be used to wipe out just about any Fairy bar Azumarill. I may play around with the speed EVs later.
Just wondering, but why would you have 2 dragon STABs on the same moveset? I guess outrage could be used for early game wallbreaking, and dragon claw for late game cleaning? Iron head does sound like a pretty sucky move to be locked into though.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew

innovation(Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Modest Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Ice Beam
-Earth Power
-Focus Blast / Hidden Power [Fire] / Flash Cannon

not copypasta from my 3v3 team
so yea this hits everything that supposed to counter you but gets countered by everything you're supposed to beat so basically lure stuff in and kill it
Draco for dragons and nuke move spam it to weaken stuff
Ice Beam for STAB and hits stuff
Earth Power for Rotom Bisharp random Megagross boobookeys etc
Focus Miss for Ferro but if you don't want to miss and nail random stuff like Scizor go run HP fire
Flash cannon for random fairies like Clef that think they can live Draco

Bluff scarf really hard early game and then nuke stuff later on. Make sure you predict correctly because if you reveal your opponent will call you a n00b play around the Specs. Don't judge...

Good partners: Hazard setters are good partners. They remove sturdy and also weaken so you can get the critical OHKOs. Also you need hazard removers so you don't die from your crippling Stealth Rock weakness. Kyurem-B also enjoys heal bell wish cleric sticky web healing wish support so it won't die
Also it likes VoltTurn so yea momentum and pivots. Rotom-W is a good partner and so is our favorite doge as well as mega Scizor because it eats Bullet Punches and Mach Punches and also can defog as well with U-turn. Anyways a lot of stuff likes this set it removes stupid mons like Skarm and Ferro with the lure tho. Try to OHKO stuff you can OHKO with Scarf that way people don't calc. And nickname it ChainChomp that way people think of ChainChomp when you use Draco and be like "oh must be running physical moves on rest of set"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)