Other Pokemon of the Week [Starmie]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main sets I use are SD + 3 attacks, or Roost + 3 attacks. Scizor's bulk is one cool thing about it, being able to set up on like half of the tier is really amazing, and it's low speed can easily be remedied by technician bullet punch.
Scizor is also pretty good on rain, because it's 4x fire weakness is weakened down a bit. However, it faces competition for a mega slot from the likes of mega heracross and mega swampert, both really good rain megas. Scizor is also a really good revenge killer and pivot. U-turn helps it get out of annoying situations, and grabs momentum. Bullet punch is pretty strong for a priority move, and can easily revenge kill weakened frail mons like Latios. Scizor's good defensive typing is also pretty good for a pivot, resisting lots of moves, while being only weak to one type.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 192 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Defog/Knock Off/What u need

This set is for a bulky defensive pivot, similar to landorus-t, but with the ability to deal with mamoswine, weavile and azumarill and other physical attacker with ice punch/ice beam(ttar) in the set. He can even run defog, SD or koff. For a pivot is pretty strange run SD, even because in xy things like mega sableye and mega slowbro didn't exist. So in this gen imho using an SD set is really really hard, u need to kill too much things before the set up.

Set explanation:

248 HP EVs: odd number for max hp
192 Def EVs: adamant life orb excadrill fail the 2kho with earthquake
32 Spe EVs: for outspeed heatran with 8 evs in speed
36 Atk EVs: this is simply random lol, even using 36 EVs in SDef didn't change nothing.

Against mega sableye or mega slowbro, scizor can easily u-turn out into a fairy / electric type, that can take care of mega sableye. I find specs magnezone to be pretty good, as it easily takes care of mega slowbro. It also has a slow volt switch, forming a volt-turn core with mega scizor. Magnezone also traps stuff like skarmory which can be annoying. Although the two stack a fire weakness, it's not too bad, considering that your team probably has a fire resist / immunity. Sticky web support also seems pretty cool, slowing stuff down for scizor, allowing it to set up and so it doesn't have to rely on bullet punch as much.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 192 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Defog/Knock Off/What u need

This set is for a bulky defensive pivot, similar to landorus-t, but with the ability to deal with mamoswine, weavile and azumarill and other physical attacker with ice punch/ice beam(ttar) in the set. He can even run defog, SD or koff. For a pivot is pretty strange run SD, even because in xy things like mega sableye and mega slowbro didn't exist. So in this gen imho using an SD set is really really hard, u need to kill too much things before the set up.

Set explanation:

248 HP EVs: odd number for max hp
192 Def EVs: adamant life orb excadrill fail the 2kho with earthquake
32 Spe EVs: for outspeed heatran with 8 evs in speed
36 Atk EVs: this is simply random lol, even using 36 EVs in SDef didn't change nothing.
Would like to note that superpower is really cool on defog scizor to target Bisharp so your opponent cannot get a free defiant boost after they know your set.

Also good for catching incoming magnezone's, looking for a free kill on the defog turn. Lures in heatran too, although it doesn't do as much.

So can anyone with good experience with mega scizor please tell me some good partners for it? I've been trying to build a mega scizor team to get reqs on the suspect ladder, but I've been pretty unsuccessful.

So can anyone with good experience with mega scizor please tell me some good partners for it? I've been trying to build a mega scizor team to get reqs on the suspect ladder, but I've been pretty unsuccessful.
From bw the best partner for scizor is rotom-w.
In the suspect ladder 90% of teams has azumarill, and this volturn core (but u can even think to use an sd set for scizor) performs really well against the bunny.

Another good partner can be heatran (scizor with roost can handle things like landot) because heatran is immune to the only weakness of zor.

The main problem of scizor are keldeo, heatran and rotom w (and electric pokemon in general) If u want something of more offensive, try kyub, which can easily take down this threats.

Remember that common walls like skarmory and ferrothorn easily wall scizor, so u always need a way to take down this walls in your team. Even the new mevo like slowbro and sableye can be hard to deal with.

The partner of scizor depends if u want a scizor with a bulky pivot or a sweeper with sd.

From bw the best partner for scizor is rotom-w.
In the suspect ladder 90% of teams has azumarill, and this volturn core (but u can even think to use an sd set for scizor) performs really well against the bunny.

Another good partner can be heatran (scizor with roost can handle things like landot) because heatran is immune to the only weakness of zor.

The main problem of scizor are keldeo, heatran and rotom w (and electric pokemon in general) If u want something of more offensive, try kyub, which can easily take down this threats.

Remember that common walls like skarmory and ferrothorn easily wall scizor, so u always need a way to take down this walls in your team. Even the new mevo like slowbro and sableye can be hard to deal with.

The partner of scizor depends if u want a scizor with a bulky pivot or a sweeper with sd.
Yeah rotom-w seems like a decent partner, has nice synergy and forms a volt turn core. Heatran also has good synergy, while it can set up rocks for it, and help wear down bulky walls with toxic or will o wisp. Seems like earthquake latios could also be a decent partner. As you mentioned, keldeo, heatran and rotom-w can be really annoying, while latios checks keldeo, counters heatran, and can do serious damage to rotom-w with draco meteor. Kyu-b also works, but it has trouble switching in against keldeo's secret sword, or heatran's flash cannon. It also doesn't appreciate scald burns, or lava plume burns.

p2

Banned deucer.
I've been trying out Starmie and it's been ok so far, Scizor is a good partner for it as it deals with Bisharp, TTar and other pokemon that give Starmie a hard time and Starmie deals with Heatran or Keldeo
I can see Starmie being the go-to fast Water Sweeper if Greninja is banned

I've been trying out Starmie and it's been ok so far, Scizor is a good partner for it as it deals with Bisharp, TTar and other pokemon that give Starmie a hard time and Starmie deals with Heatran or Keldeo
I can see Starmie being the go-to fast Water Sweeper if Greninja is banned
Yeah starmie seems pretty nice, but fire blast ttar can be pretty annoying as it can beat scizor 1v1. What set were you using? Reflect type is pretty interesting. I would probably assume you were using an offensive set, since defensive sets struggle to get past sp. defense heatran.

Scizor also tends to hate bulky waters like quag, suicune, and alomomola. I'm thinking something like toxic orb poison heal breloom could work pretty well, since once it's toxic orb has been activated, it won't have to worry about scald burns, and is free to set up with swords dance and start sweeping. However, scizor and grass types don't have the best synergy (both are weak to fire). Breloom and scizor seems like an okay core to me, although they are kind of lacking in speed, this can be remedied by team mates like thundurus or klefki with prankster t-wave, which also eases set up.

Scizor also tends to hate bulky waters like quag, suicune, and alomomola. I'm thinking something like toxic orb poison heal breloom could work pretty well, since once it's toxic orb has been activated, it won't have to worry about scald burns, and is free to set up with swords dance and start sweeping. However, scizor and grass types don't have the best synergy (both are weak to fire). Breloom and scizor seems like an okay core to me, although they are kind of lacking in speed, this can be remedied by team mates like thundurus or klefki with prankster t-wave, which also eases set up.
Bug Bite can also somewhat remedy this weakness

Not exactly, all of them are bulky enough to easily take a hit
84 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 118-139 (29.9 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
84 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 120 HP / 136 Def Alomomola: 151-178 (30.1 - 35.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
84 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 96-114 (23.7 - 28.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Those calcs were from the OU bulky swords dance set

More calcs:
252 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 108-127 (26.7 - 31.4%) -- 19.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 120 HP / 136 Def Alomomola: 169-199 (33.7 - 39.7%) -- 25% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 132-156 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- 17.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see, they can easily tank a bug bite and then either recover health back, or try to fish for a burn with scald. Of course, if they don't get lucky, they may be in trouble, but the scizor user probably wouldn't be willing to take the risk of a burn.

Not exactly, all of them are bulky enough to easily take a hit
84 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 118-139 (29.9 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
84 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 120 HP / 136 Def Alomomola: 151-178 (30.1 - 35.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
84 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 96-114 (23.7 - 28.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Those calcs were from the OU bulky swords dance set

More calcs:
252 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 108-127 (26.7 - 31.4%) -- 19.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 120 HP / 136 Def Alomomola: 169-199 (33.7 - 39.7%) -- 25% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 132-156 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- 17.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can see, they can easily tank a bug bite and then either recover health back, or try to fish for a burn with scald. Of course, if they don't get lucky, they may be in trouble, but the scizor user probably wouldn't be willing to take the risk of a burn.

Try adamant nature

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 144-171 (36.5 - 43.4%) Still a pain
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 118-139 (29.2 - 34.4%) 2hkos at +2, just avoid burn
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 104 HP / 248+ Def Alomomola: 151-178 (30.3 - 35.8%) same as suicune

Try adamant nature

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 144-171 (36.5 - 43.4%) Still a pain
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 118-139 (29.2 - 34.4%) 2hkos at +2, just avoid burn
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 104 HP / 248+ Def Alomomola: 151-178 (30.3 - 35.8%) same as suicune
Yeah I guess adamant works, but still, breloom would be much more helpful as it easily takes care of all those threats.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
Use Bulky SD Mega Scizor and just enjoy free ELO up till mid-high ladder cause of how insanely easy it is to just set up SD and roost while also living hits from stuff like lol Landoge. Seriously in late XY I watched so many people just die to this, mega Scizor is pretty underprepared for atm.
don't run megagross plz meteor miss

Use Bulky SD Mega Scizor and just enjoy free ELO up till mid-high ladder cause of how insanely easy it is to just set up SD and roost while also living hits from stuff like lol Landoge. Seriously in late XY I watched so many people just die to this, mega Scizor is pretty underprepared for atm.
don't run megagross plz meteor miss
Yeah, mega scizor just has really good bulk, and setting up SDs is actually pretty easy with it. It's low speed is easily made up by priority technician boosted bullet punch. Many teams often don't run any checks or counters to it, and in return, mega scizor easily checks most fairies like clefable, diancie, and altaria.

Mega Scizor's power combined with how easy he can set a Swords Dance is amazing. At +2 offensive teams can do nothing about it because its bulk let it survive hits like a Hydro Pump from Greninja, Close Combat from Mega Gallade and Thunderbolt from Thundurus. Defensively, Mega Scizor can take on Mega Metagross easily and the Bulky SD set can 2HKO it after some prior damage. In my opinion the most scary set is the bulky SD + 3 atks set as it can easily xlean against offensive teams at +2

The set I often use

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

With +/- 24 Spe EVs you can also outspeed SpD Heatran so you can kill it at +2 if it's below 60% so it can't hit you with Lava Plume

Offensive Calcs:

Defensive Calcs:
Excuse me, why Light Metal? I thought the unanimous consensus was that technician was the way to go on scizor

Because you're not going to attack before mega evolving, and taking slightly less damage from a random low kick or grass knot on the switch is sometimes helpful.
I realize that, but here is the scenario I'm visualizing:

First off, correct me if I'm wrong here, becasue I've only recently learned about MEvos, but if Scizor @ Scizorite switches in on a knock-off and loses the eponymous stone, it can no longer mega-evolve correct? So wouldn't it be better to have a vanilla scizor with technician still?

ALso, isn't technician better for feigning choice sets?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I realize that, but here is the scenario I'm visualizing:

First off, correct me if I'm wrong here, becasue I've only recently learned about MEvos, but if Scizor @ Scizorite switches in on a knock-off and loses the eponymous stone, it can no longer mega-evolve correct? So wouldn't it be better to have a vanilla scizor with technician still?
You can't have a mega stone knocked off .-.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)